Doris Duke/CRTP/HHMI/Sarnoff Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know of any movement on the mt sinai, columbia, or ucsf waitlists? still keeping my fingers crossed...

Members don't see this ad.

for those headed to the Cloister... is most everyone planning on getting there on the first start date? They say that getting there early is better for having your choice of lab. Those who are there currently or have done it in years past, does 2 weeks in July make a large difference?

The first start date in the beginning of July is cutting it very close to when I would be able to leave and so I would prefer to go on the second start date, which is 2 weeks later.

thanks for the advice!
-qpwoei

for those headed to the Cloister... is most everyone planning on getting there on the first start date? They say that getting there early is better for having your choice of lab. Those who are there currently or have done it in years past, does 2 weeks in July make a large difference?

The first start date in the beginning of July is cutting it very close to when I would be able to leave and so I would prefer to go on the second start date, which is 2 weeks later.

thanks for the advice!
-qpwoei

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I recommend getting there early. Some of the big names will be snatched up between the first date and the second. Another bonus to getting there early is that the first group seems to be a little closer (socially) and go out together more often than those that come later. The latter may not be a big deal to you, but just fyi.

That being said, you're unlikely to have a bad experience showing up on any date, and if you want to work with a specific mentor that is taken, you can usually work with a close collaborator as a way around that.

CRTP also has multiple start dates, so maybe rxnman will want to comment?

Members don't see this ad :)
so when's the best time to take step 2 if you're taking a year off?

i've had one student dean tell me to take it early, and another program director told me not to unless i could crush it (since i did well enough on step 1 to get interviews, but not so well that a drop in step 2 wouldn't ruin my app...)

is there a way to take it during the year off, yet still be able to withhold the score? (my school requires me to take it before dec 31, so it's not like i can take it after interviews anyway...)

so when's the best time to take step 2 if you're taking a year off?

i've had one student dean tell me to take it early, and another program director told me not to unless i could crush it (since i did well enough on step 1 to get interviews, but not so well that a drop in step 2 wouldn't ruin my app...)

is there a way to take it during the year off, yet still be able to withhold the score? (my school requires me to take it before dec 31, so it's not like i can take it after interviews anyway...)

If the score comes back before Sept 1 (or whenever you submit ERAS), you have no choice but to release it. If you take it after the second week in August, the score will come back after that and you can just not release it. Make sure you check the box on ERAS that says you don't want to submit it automatically.

A few programs, including UCSF, have begun requiring it prior to ranking you in February. Not many others, though.

My advice: take 2-3wks off in August (of 4th year) to do all of UWorld and take the exam. It's not that hard if put some effort into it.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I recommend getting there early. Some of the big names will be snatched up between the first date and the second. Another bonus to getting there early is that the first group seems to be a little closer (socially) and go out together more often than those that come later. The latter may not be a big deal to you, but just fyi.

That being said, you're unlikely to have a bad experience showing up on any date, and if you want to work with a specific mentor that is taken, you can usually work with a close collaborator as a way around that.

CRTP also has multiple start dates, so maybe rxnman will want to comment?
I agree to some extent. A fellow fellow knew who he wanted to work with from day one, so right after he was accepted he called up that researcher and locked in a spot. Most people will tour a few labs when they get to the NIH. If you're really worried about getting a place in a good lab, you can work through the CRTP's tutor system to narrow down prospective PIs and do phone interviews ahead of time.

I did neither of these, and one lab I wanted to see was full up when I got to the NIH (mid-august). But I had an otherwise full interview schedule (full of big names) and I had nothing but good choices of who to work with. I found a completely different lab doing something I never intended and it worked out much, much better than I could have expected.

If the score comes back before Sept 1 (or whenever you submit ERAS), you have no choice but to release it. If you take it after the second week in August, the score will come back after that and you can just not release it. Make sure you check the box on ERAS that says you don't want to submit it automatically.

A few programs, including UCSF, have begun requiring it prior to ranking you in February. Not many others, though.

My advice: take 2-3wks off in August (of 4th year) to do all of UWorld and take the exam. It's not that hard if put some effort into it.
I didn't know about the Step II reporting timeline, but I had planned to take it after my research year in August anyways. I have a good enough score that I don't need an early strong showing on Step II, and I wanted to spend 3 weeks to study for it, which I didn't have between MS3 and moving down to the NIH. I haven't felt like it was hanging over my head.

A lot of the people in my program are from Duke, and they have a built-in research year. Many kids took their Step Is during the year (a full year and a half after I took mine :rolleyes:). My program frowns on people taking lots of time away from the lab to study for exams, but many folks did it on the side for awhile before taking a week or two off to focus and take Step I.

i've got a question for current or former research year people. is it out of line to present research you did before the cloisters during your year there? do PIs dislike involvement with old labs?

my old PI is asking to see if i want to go to a meeting in the fall. would be ok to say yes?

i've got a question for current or former research year people. is it out of line to present research you did before the cloisters during your year there? do PIs dislike involvement with old labs?

my old PI is asking to see if i want to go to a meeting in the fall. would be ok to say yes?

If it's just a meeting, I would say that's fine. I wouldn't recommend putting in serious bench or other research time, though.

I don't see how this would be a problem. If it is, then your year-out PI is crazy and anything would have got you into trouble.

I'll keep in general. Is there anything in particular that you wish you brought / didn't bring when you moved in for CRTP? Anything to make the whole process easier?

Could probably eventually think of a couple of things, but the first thing to come to mind is to bring a knife set (or at least 1 good knife) b/c the ikea knives suck.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi,
I am planning on applying to the CRTP program for next year...I know their application does not open until Oct. 1st, but I have 2 questions (I tried to email the contact person on their website but did not hear back):

1) if accepted, can a fellow start a little later (i.e. mid-aug. instead of beginning of july?) with a very good reason of course.

2) is it strictly for medical students? can I apply if I am finishing med school in aug. 2011-right when the program starts...and won't be doing residency for a year?

any feedback is appreciated!

thanks,

hi,
I am planning on applying to the CRTP program for next year...I know their application does not open until Oct. 1st, but I have 2 questions (I tried to email the contact person on their website but did not hear back):

1) if accepted, can a fellow start a little later (i.e. mid-aug. instead of beginning of july?) with a very good reason of course.

2) is it strictly for medical students? can I apply if I am finishing med school in aug. 2011-right when the program starts...and won't be doing residency for a year?

any feedback is appreciated!

thanks,

1. I believe they have multiple move-in dates. It probably wouldn't be a problem. Rxnman would know more.

2. Yes, you have to be a medical student. You can delay graduation for a year to do the program. Every year, there's at least 1 person in each program (HHMI and CRTP) that does this.

Should we get this year's party started? Anyone else pushed the submit button?

Me too! Anyone else applied to the new Janelia Farm program?

Last edited:
Any HHMI applicants this year? Interviews for the Cloister program are supposed to go out Feb 11. No news about med fellows so far...

We should be hearing from quite a few programs sometime in Early February. :eek: Good thing a little thing called shelf exams can keep me preoccupied.

So I had a conversation with someone over the weekend who matched in chosen specialty that they did CRTP research in, but didn't feel that it was a good experience. Not sure how much of that was Intern blues speaking, but he was pretty negative about the experience - which was surprising to me since this was my first negative feedback about the program. He had a hard time coming back into 4th year of medical school - and felt that he was behind the mark in terms of some general knowledge and the routines of medical school since had spent a year out. The rest of the details were maybe more specific to his experience, or so I am hoping!

I tend to be a Polyanna, but it is always nice to hear the "other" side since most people paint a rather rosy picture of the experience when they are accepted - but few people come back to post what the year was like. Anyone else heard anything but good reviews care to chime in? Particularly people who have taken a year off to do one of these programs recently?

How about a running thread of applications and the dates or interview/updates/etc.

Doris Duke
Harvard
Columbia
UCSF
Penn
Pitt
Mt. Sinai
UNC
UTSW
Wash U
Iowa
Yale
Hopkins

NIH-CRTP:

Cloisters:

HHMI:

Fogarty:

Sarnoff:

Anything else I missed?

So I had a conversation with someone over the weekend who matched in chosen specialty that they did CRTP research in, but didn't feel that it was a good experience. Not sure how much of that was Intern blues speaking, but he was pretty negative about the experience - which was surprising to me since this was my first negative feedback about the program. He had a hard time coming back into 4th year of medical school - and felt that he was behind the mark in terms of some general knowledge and the routines of medical school since had spent a year out. The rest of the details were maybe more specific to his experience, or so I am hoping!

I tend to be a Polyanna, but it is always nice to hear the "other" side since most people paint a rather rosy picture of the experience when they are accepted - but few people come back to post what the year was like. Anyone else heard anything but good reviews care to chime in? Particularly people who have taken a year off to do one of these programs recently?

As a former CRTP-er I find this really interesting, it is good to hear other opinions/experiences... Honestly I didn't have any big issues adjusting back to 4th year, and I jumped right into an sub-I in my specialty but for those who are concerned:

a) you can always go to clinic at the NIH with your mentor or anyone else you want, even if you just go the last month or something to get back in the swing
b) I'd encourage everyone to try to arrange their 4th year schedule so they're starting with something easier than a sub-I, but it's not always possible. From my experience: sure you're rusty the first couple of days, but it comes back quick and your residents/attendings aren't so mean that they judge you so harshly those first days anyways
c) you definitely do lose some knowledge over the year, but it has a simple solution: (re)read Step Up to Medicine or Surgical Recall (or whatever) as you're coming to the end of your fellowship and you'll be good to go. Plus, if you're going into a sub-specialty (and not something that everyone generally learns a lot about, like medicine) I think you end up learning MUCH more about your field by doing the fellowship, thus starting your sub-Is much better prepared with a better fund of knowledge, than if you went straight from 3rd year.

Best of luck everyone!

Added Fogarty and UNC

Doris Duke
Harvard
Columbia
UCSF
Penn
Pitt
Mt. Sinai
UNC: February 17 and 21 (sent out 1/24)
UTSW
Wash U
Iowa
Yale
Hopkins

NIH-CRTP:

Cloisters:

HHMI:

Fogarty: March 6-8 (sent out 1/28)

Sarnoff:

Anything else I missed?[/QUOTE]

Just heard from Sarnoff! Who else is going to Boston? See you there!

Anyone else apply to the Doris Duke at UNC?

If so, have you heard back from them with potential mentors or details about finding one? I sent them an email, got a quick response saying they would work on it, but now several weeks have passed with no word.

hi

has anyone heard back from NIH CRTP or DD programs yet?

Interview invites from Iowa, Harvard, UNC, and Hopkins so far. No word yet on UCSF or UPenn. Has anyone heard from those two schools yet?

Iowa sent me an email saying that I'm on their waitlist, and they might phone interview later on. Is that something they send out to everyone they don't interview, or does that mean something? Anyone have any idea how many applicants schools interview?

Haven't heard from Penn yet either. Or Columbia, mt. Sinai, and utsw

notified of a Cloisters interview--good luck to everyone!!

If you didn't get an interview for the HHMI-NIH Research Scholars Program, does that mean your chances for the HHMI Medical Research Fellows Program are slim? :(

Seems like DD are accounted for except for Mt. Sinai, Columbia, UCSF, Pitt, UTSW, and Yale.

Any news from these schools?

Good luck to everyone with the CRTP/Cloister interviews coming up.

I had a phone interview with UTSW yesterday.

Hope everybody's interviews for HHMI/CRTP went great (and the others as well).

For CRTP- we really enjoyed having all the interviewees, we just wish we could have taken you guys out and gotten to know you better! In that spirit, you can now see Labception at your whim: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3BMhfvj8DU

Just got word from Penn's Doris Duke program! Off to Philly!

Anyone hear anything this year yet from HHMI, specifically the med fellows program? It's officially 3/18 EST but haven't received an e-mail yet (last year it was sent around midnight) so getting anxious! So nervous...good luck all!

HHMI Med Fellows! Email at 12:01 PST.

accepted to cloisters! very excited. get in touch if you'd like :)