Doris Duke/CRTP/HHMI/Sarnoff Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Crtp waitlisted. Are all the unselected applicants placed on the waitlist? Anyone have any idea how much the waitlist moves? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
any doris duke news?

also curious if anyone has heard from any of the doris dukes...I had talked to a mentor about a project proposal earlier this week, so I had hoped to hear from them today...

HHMI Cloisters! Email sent at 12:00am. Didn't see it until now b/c Gmail hid it from me :mad:. Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:
accepted to doris duke columbia today! very excited! haven't heard from all the programs yet....

Last edited:
HHMI Cloisters! Email sent at 12:00am. Didn't see it until now b/c Gmail hid it from me :mad:. Best of luck to everyone!

gmail did the same thing for my hhmi email too!!

I didn't get an e-mail from Cloisters yet... Anyone know how Gmail might "hide" the e-mail? And how to remedy this/find the e-mail?

I didn't get an e-mail from Cloisters yet... Anyone know how Gmail might "hide" the e-mail? And how to remedy this/find the e-mail?

it was under "spam" for me.

Submitted my acceptance forms for HHMI-Med Fellows. Totally Klutch. If anyone is curious about the numbers this year: there were 73 awards out of 244 applicants. I don't know about waitlist movement, but I would imagine it would be tough given that there is such a big committment involved with your mentor. As much as I love Penn, I can't pass up this opportunity with HHMI.

There's one spot open for Penn's DD program though!

I have not heard from UTSW. I only heard back from about half the programs on Friday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted As well to CRTP.
I hope this question is Kosher...
But are all "non-accepted" interviewees waitlisted ?
Does anyone know of a safe way of continuing to "demonstrate interest" - additional letter of rec etc, or is it pretty much a crap shoot/waiting game ?

Lets get some responses people

one more spot should be open now to upenn DD applicants on the waiting list. good luck!

one more spot should be open now to upenn DD applicants on the waiting list. good luck!

Man that already makes two people turning down upenn for Hughes fellowships. Great news for those on the waitlist. Any movement so far?

Does anyone have any info on about how much movement happens for being on the waitlist for doris duke???

In case this may help anyone, I ended up calling HHMI after not receiving an e-mail Friday. They had to re-send it, and it ended up in my "Spam." I encourage anyone who hasn't heard to give them a call. It could be good news!

A few things:

Not everyone who isn't accepted to CRTP is waitlisted.

Doris Duke WL mov't is highly dependent on the program (not much mov't at Harvard, a lot at Iowa).

Good luck to all WLers!

Thanks for the response, thesauce. Any advice on sending an email to demonstrate continued interest?

Thanks for the response, thesauce. Any advice on sending an email to demonstrate continued interest?

This has been debated in the past on this thread.

I personally feel that it would have had more impact before the first round of acceptances (last Friday, it would seem), but it certainly won't hurt at this point and could possibly tip the scales.

Home institution = UTSW
Got into Iowa and UT Southwestern on the 18th.
Withdrew from Iowa and accepted UTSW offer.

My friend got off the waitlist for HHMI- Cloisters

A few things:

Not everyone who isn't accepted to CRTP is waitlisted.

Doris Duke WL mov't is highly dependent on the program (not much mov't at Harvard, a lot at Iowa).

Good luck to all WLers!

FYI, "alternate list" ranks higher than "waitlist." figured that is useful information to know!

Hey guys,

A word to anyone on CRTP waitlist. They def don't waitlist everyone who wasn't accepted. Of all the people they interviewed a good number get rejected.

However, they have never not offered everyone on the waitlist a position. If your getting antsy, an email stating your continued interest in the program will get you an offer faster. I was waitlisted last year and did not send in a letter until a friend told me she emailed them saying she was still really interested and immediately got in. After sending them an email, I got an offer in a couple of days.

Hope this helps.

Hey guys,

A word to anyone on CRTP waitlist. They def don't waitlist everyone who wasn't accepted. Of all the people they interviewed a good number get rejected.

However, they have never not offered everyone on the waitlist a position. If your getting antsy, an email stating your continued interest in the program will get you an offer faster. I was waitlisted last year and did not send in a letter until a friend told me she emailed them saying she was still really interested and immediately got in. After sending them an email, I got an offer in a couple of days.

Hope this helps.

Hey guys, I was listed as an "alternate" for CRTP and received an offer recently. The office explained to me that the alternate's always get offers, but not everyone on the "waitlist" will get an offer. Make sure you check your initial email to see which one you are on. Good luck!

what about the cloisters program alternate list? does anyone know how that works/if there is much movement this year?

there's a facebook group for cloisters: HHMI-NIH Research Scholars (2011-12)

I've tried searching for the 2011-12 cloisters facebook group -- don't see it anywhere..

I'm trying to decide between Cloisters and Sarnoff. I'm interested in cards research, and will most likely do cards research if I accept Cloisters...

The main thing that draws me towards Cloisters is the community of students. But I really like the lifelong commitment that Sarnoff emphasizes.

Anyone have thoughts or opinions to help me decide? Thanks.

quiet thread this year. any news on the cloisters waitlist?

MirDoHap - about your choice, if you haven't made it yet, I'm sure you'll be happy with either program and you'll do great cards research at the NIH or I'm sure you'll meet other cards minded students via sarnoff. my opinion without knowing you is that sarnoff might give you more of a cards edge if you're sure that's what you want to do, but cloisters may be a fun more year socially. plus you'll interact with a lot more non cards people, which can be good. just my 2 cents, and it just depends on what your main goal for a year of research is. take with a grain of salt and good luck with your choice.

I'm trying to decide between Cloisters and Sarnoff. I'm interested in cards research, and will most likely do cards research if I accept Cloisters...

The main thing that draws me towards Cloisters is the community of students. But I really like the lifelong commitment that Sarnoff emphasizes.

Anyone have thoughts or opinions to help me decide? Thanks.

I think I owe you a thanks! I just got off the Sarnoff wait list :)

Accepted a Doris Duke at Columbia!! Anyone else going to Columbia next year? I turned down UTSW, so this should open up a spot for someone. Good luck to all those waiting!

Just Got off the CRTP waitlist (not the alternate)!
Hang tight People, your call might be coming any second

Accepted the Sarnoff this morning. Declined CRTP and Cloisters. Good luck to those on the wait list! :thumbup:

no word for me :( guess I'll just have to re-apply next year

Haven't heard anything from CRTP either. I thought today was the day regardless of the decision. Anybody know what this means?

I doubt today will be the last day for movement. I bet there will be some more next week. Wasn't today the deadline for ALL the programs? Just trying to keep the hope alive for everyone on waitlists.

Shoutout to my fellow Doris Dukers! Looking forward to a fantastic year! :)

Congrats to all those going into one of the programs this upcoming year.

I had a quick question for everyone - do they prefer students doing the research year between 3rd and 4th year? I just finished my 1st year and am very interested in applying for the year between my 2nd and 3rd. However, I do not have very much basic science research experience although I may have some articles published this summer from a clinical research internship. If anyone could please chime in with their thoughts, I'd really appreciate it.

Congrats to all those going into one of the programs this upcoming year.

I had a quick question for everyone - do they prefer students doing the research year between 3rd and 4th year? I just finished my 1st year and am very interested in applying for the year between my 2nd and 3rd. However, I do not have very much basic science research experience although I may have some articles published this summer from a clinical research internship. If anyone could please chime in with their thoughts, I'd really appreciate it.

You won't be eligible for CRTP, but the other programs shouldn't have a problem with it. BTW, the Howard Hughes Research Scholars Program is ending after this year.

You won't be eligible for CRTP, but the other programs shouldn't have a problem with it. BTW, the Howard Hughes Research Scholars Program is ending after this year.

Are you serious? They are ending the HHMI Clositers program? Are they going to still continue the main HHMI Medical Research Fellows Program and the smaller one at Janelia Farm?

Are you serious? They are ending the HHMI Clositers program? Are they going to still continue the main HHMI Medical Research Fellows Program and the smaller one at Janelia Farm?

My dean said that HHMI wanted to focus more on the Med Fellows Program since it has generated more successful first-author projects from students given that all the students had to craft a lengthy project-proposal as part of the application process. This project proposal really helped guide the students during their research year and guaranteed not only greater autonomy but also encouraged students to come up with their own ideas rather than piggybacking off one of the mentor's projects. Submitting a proposal made the Med Fellows program more like a thesis program and also ensured the students and the mentors were invested in each other.

On the other hand, the Cloisters program didn't require a proposal and hence some students picked a topic and a lab at the last minute. There was less investment between student and mentor and some complaints from both sides (though very few of course).

Nevertheless, the HHMI-Cloister's program was a great one and has encouraged a lot of physician scientists in the past. It was the longest running research scholarship as well. But in the end, when push came to shove and financial resources were scarce, it had to be the one to go :(

Does anyone know if anyone of these programs, specifically HHMI med fellows, allow clinical research to be carried out over basic sci?

Does anyone know if anyone of these programs, specifically HHMI med fellows, allow clinical research to be carried out over basic sci?

It would be a tough sell for med fellows (not impossible, but tough). CRTP and DD are very open to clinical research.

So I take it that HHMI Med Fellows is the creme de la creme of all year out research programs since it is the one HHMI has prioritized with continued funding and support?

So I take it that HHMI Med Fellows is the creme de la creme of all year out research programs since it is the one HHMI has prioritized with continued funding and support?

It's definitely a great one, but these programs are not a one-size-fits-all experience. Research Scholars has been going for 25+ years. Med fellows has not been around in its current form for anywhere near that long. Sarnoff is probably the most prestigious program.