Doris Duke/CRTP/HHMI/Sarnoff Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FYI, Doris Duke domestic CRF is ending after the 2012-2013 year.

I had heard rumors about this for awhile. Happy I was able to get in on it while it was still active.

Question is, are med students using programs like this to increase their applications for competitive residencies and really have no interest in research after residency. I have my opinion on this from my experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I had heard rumors about this for awhile. Happy I was able to get in on it while it was still active.

Question is, are med students using programs like this to increase their applications for competitive residencies and really have no interest in research after residency. I have my opinion on this from my experience.

The only study (that I'm aware of) that has looked at this would suggest "no." These programs are more successful than non-MSTP MD/PhD programs at producing clinician-scientists.

The only study (that I'm aware of) that has looked at this would suggest "no." These programs are more successful than non-MSTP MD/PhD programs at producing clinician-scientists.

In the survey, very few past CRF fellows in the domestic program reported that they are in career positions where they are pursuing either basic or clinical research. The median percent effort toward research was five percent of professional time.

http://www.ddcf.org/Medical-Researc...wship-for-Medical-Students/Conclusion-of-CRF/

This is a pretty big loss. I think it's really too bad. I think academic medicine is where most of the interesting stuff is, but it's getting increasingly difficult to find clinical research funding (only NIH and HHMI next year, more or less).

Members don't see this ad :)
In the survey, very few past CRF fellows in the domestic program reported that they are in career positions where they are pursuing either basic or clinical research. The median percent effort toward research was five percent of professional time.

http://www.ddcf.org/Medical-Researc...wship-for-Medical-Students/Conclusion-of-CRF/

This is a pretty big loss. I think it's really too bad. I think academic medicine is where most of the interesting stuff is, but it's getting increasingly difficult to find clinical research funding (only NIH and HHMI next year, more or less).

Wow. I had not seen this one. I was extrapolating from the HHMI study...

Wow. I had not seen this one. I was extrapolating from the HHMI study...

I think the HHMI is unique of itself. Sad that Cloisters closed.

From my experience in DD at the national meeting, many students were open that they were using the year as a way to be more competitive for specialty X. Very few had a real interest in academics as a career.

Does everyone who get into Pitt have an interview or is it dependent on the department and project mentors?

Friend emailed and got this

"We are interviewing the top 10 candidates from the application pool. The interviews slots will all be sent out by the end of this week and final decisions from those interviews will be sent by March 16th."

chances don't look too good =(

I don't see how only interviewing 10 is going to fill all the slots.

No news from Pitt here. Likely not getting one :(...

No news from Pitt here. Likely not getting one :(...
me too =( and based on this from yale, likely not getting one there either

Eligibility & Selection Criteria
All applicants should have completed two or more years of medical school prior to beginning the Doris Duke Fellowship. Students in good standing, enrolled at any accredited U.S. medical school, are eligible to apply. A completed application, official medical school transcript, and two recommendation letters will be required for consideration.

Interviews will be conducted in February after all applications are received. Up to five candidates from other schools will be invited to Yale to interview with the Program Advisory Group and meet with potential mentors. Dr. Forrest and the Program Advisory Group will make final selections. One to two student Fellows will be selected from this group.

Maybe UPitt means 10 students from other schools.

Hang in there, guys. Some of these programs end up filling with people they never interviewed. So long as you checked that box on your application giving them permission to share your application, you're still in the running.

Although things may become more competitive across the board with the decreased enrollment at the NIH.

Members don't see this ad :)
My thought on why they interview so few people is that they try to really select highly for fit and qualifications ahead of time. Then, basically the interview is to seal the deal. That's my sense for the DD programs, not necessarily the NIH program that tends to interview a lot more folks. Makes sense when you consider they're paying up to 400 for a flight plus ground transportation and maybe 2 nights of hotel... can't really do that unless they really want you.

Also many of the programs, e.g. UCSF and Wash U, do not interview applicants.

how lenient are the DD programs with start dates that's not july 1?

My thought on why they interview so few people is that they try to really select highly for fit and qualifications ahead of time. Then, basically the interview is to seal the deal. That's my sense for the DD programs, not necessarily the NIH program that tends to interview a lot more folks. Makes sense when you consider they're paying up to 400 for a flight plus ground transportation and maybe 2 nights of hotel... can't really do that unless they really want you.

The NIH programs have also traditionally paid for transportation and hotel. Not sure if that's changed.

The NIH programs have also traditionally paid for transportation and hotel. Not sure if that's changed.

It hasn't. I said that because I feel like the DD schools may have fewer resources for interview/etc and really try to nail it before the interview. :shrug: Obviously, this is all speculation. I imagine the NIH program wants to nail it with all applicants before the interview stage too. I personally think any applicant would be lucky to land either an NIH or DD spot.

So far, there has been news from Pitt, UNC (international only), Iowa and that's it?

What about Yale? I though they were interviewing in February, but we're slowly approaching the end of it

Friend of mine heard from UPenn International; I'm assuming Domestic went out, too.

Try not to be so hard on yourself; I know the feelings you're going through.

For what it's worth, I did not get interviews at NIH or Iowa.

No love from Pitt either, they just told me they selected their 10 to interview and based on Yale's website that's over as well.

Any news from Columbia or MSSM or UTSW?

This has been a sad run =(

Sounds like this year is particularly brutal with the NIH cutting spots. And next year will be even worse with the mass exodus from Doris Duke.

Sounds like this year is particularly brutal with the NIH cutting spots. And next year will be even worse with the mass exodus from Doris Duke.

Yeah it really is sad with all the cutbacks within the programs. Hopefully some other program tries to fill the void in the future. I know it made a positive difference in my career.

Just got contacted by UNC Domestic asking if I was still interested and suggesting potential mentors... Not sure exactly what this means... Does this mean that after I get a letter from a mentor, I still have to go through a committee before being accepted?

Last edited:
Just got contacted by UNC Domestic asking if I was still interested and suggesting potential mentors... Not sure exactly what this means... Does this mean that after I get a letter from a mentor, I still have to go through a comittee before being accepted?

Yes. The mentor contact is like the interview/supplemental before they decide on the award. No awards go out until mid March, I think.

Does everyone get this e-mail or only a subset of applicants? I'm just trying to get a gauge. Thanks!

heard from Columbia for a phone interview.

I'm international though, so not sure about domestic programs.
No word from Yale or Harvard still?

So only the following schools have contacted or interviewed students?
Iowa
UNC(Domestic and International)
Upenn(International for sure, domestic most likely)
Upitt
Columbia(International)

I would assume Yale contacted all of their domestic fellows for interviews, as well.

So only the following schools have contacted or interviewed students?
Iowa
UNC(Domestic and International)
Upenn(International for sure, domestic most likely)
Upitt
Columbia(International)

Confirming that Penn has already sent out interview invitations for the domestic program - I didn't get one, though. :(

for international right? thought harvard doesn't interview for domestic per their DD website

Yes, I got an email for the international program today. It's only a phone interview though

So doris duke is closed, the 2012-2013 being its last year. What research programs are available now, besides the Med Fellows?

lol i got an invitation for a phone interview w/ Dr. McPhaul at UTSW. I replied with available times and he never got back to me. Gee Thanks...

Did you follow-up with him after not receiving a response?

lol i got an invitation for a phone interview w/ Dr. McPhaul at UTSW. I replied with available times and he never got back to me. Gee Thanks...

Sorry to hear that. Is there a phone # or another contact person?