Do's and Don'ts of Applying to Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To nitpick, it is a minimum of 3 hours plus breaks (verbal 30, quant 45, experimental 30 or 45, analytical writing 30+ 45 = 3hrs - 3.25 hrs). So usually takes around 4 hours. Still not as bad as the MCAT though.

Definitely 4 hours of hell, haha.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd much rather take the GRE than the SAT or ACT. At least you can go at your own pace! I guess I didn't think it was all that bad because I took it twice.....I took the ACT 4 times and the SAT 3 blahhhhh

I'd much rather take the GRE than the SAT or ACT. At least you can go at your own pace! I guess I didn't think it was all that bad because I took it twice.....I took the ACT 4 times and the SAT 3 blahhhhh

Ouch. I took the SAT once and said screw the ACT. But, I guess I am making up for it with how many times I have taken/possibly will take the GRE. :hungover:

Members don't see this ad :)
DO NOT assume all of your undergraduate institutions and evaluators have submitted or will submit their documents on time.

DO FOLLOW UP WITH EVERYONE!
- Sure, you could get a little annoying, but you should only have to check in once or twice if they are doing what you asked.
- Both years I had issues with transcripts (one because of a hurricane affecting a college in my hometown and another because a school that I only took summer classes at put a hold on my account 2 years after the fact for no reason and didn't tell me until I called to see why LSU hadn't received their transcript... AFTER the deadline).
- Evaluators are generally confused by the process (helped by the online eLORs though) and will need extra guidance (especially if they are older and less computer literate).
- Go in person if possible to make sure they are completing the tasks. It may be a day job for that person, but its your future in vet school on the line. I got passed along directly to he registrar in person for the hold situation and instead of waiting 4 days (2 for the hold to be taken off and 2 for processing), my transcripts were processed and put in outgoing mail as I sat in the office. More effective than the phone calls and emails I had previously tried.

DO keep copies of transcript requests. They can come in handy if you need to prove you ordered them before the deadline.

If something goes wrong (and it probably will)... its not the end of the world. Most schools are very understanding with reasonable circumstances ("I forgot" probably won't cut it...). Most schools will accept late materials as long as you let them know whats going on and have documentation of when you ordered transcripts.

In regards to whether adcoms know how many schools you apply to: According to Ohio State, they have no idea how many you apply to, at least in terms of your application. That's not to say they could still ask about it during an interview.

For those of you out there who are a year or two away from applying: :hello:

Now that the VMCAS vet application is open, you may want to register an account and see what it looks like. It won't cost you a thing, and they erase usernames and passwords year to year, so looking at the application now will have no repercussions for the future (aside from making you more prepared!). You can even start filling things out and save the webpages as PDF's if you're really over-eager. Getting a sneak-peak may help you prepare and organize your info for later :)

You can also look at the supplemental applications for specific schools to see their essay questions in advance by visiting their individual websites (of course, things may change from year to year, but perhaps they won't - or at minimum, you can get an idea of the types of essays asked of applicants) . . .

To make an account for Cornell's supplemental you have to provide your VMCAS ID# and if you choose not to apply to Cornell after making an account they ask that you notify them. That particular school also says not to make an account unless you are planning to apply this year, but they link to a PDF copy of the supplemental as well

back to the OP:

1. Make sure you meet all the requirements for each school you apply to.

2. Make a list that spells out what and when everything is due for each school you appy to(VMCAS, GRE scores, transcripts, supplemental apps, fees, veterinary verification forms, or any other bells and whistles, etc).

3. As stated before, start early...

4. DON'T overextend yourself during the last few months of the application process (August/September/October) especially if you don't heed #3 (see above).

For example, don't do all this @ the same time: take 8 upper level classes that are @ a university an hour away, study for and take the GRE for the 1st time, work 20 hours a week, work on your VMCAs and supplementals for each school, and be in an october wedding.... or you will do this: :bang: and then.....:boom:
How early should I apply? Let's say you are shooting for 2014. Do I apply in 2013? Or earlier?

If you want to start in August 2014 (fall semester) your application will be due October 2nd, 2013. The application will open (for schools that use VMCAS) in June. Rachroo meant to get started early as in... seek out and ask the LOR writers and take the GRE in plenty of time, and also check what each school wants way ahead of time.

Everyone's applications will be due on Oct. 2nd no matter what, and are good only for the following year's class. If you are not accepted, you start again the following year. Make sense?

If you want to start in August 2014 (fall semester) your application will be due October 2nd, 2013. The application will open (for schools that use VMCAS) in June. Rachroo meant to get started early as in... seek out and ask the LOR writers and take the GRE in plenty of time, and also check what each school wants way ahead of time.

Everyone's applications will be due on Oct. 2nd no matter what, and are good only for the following year's class. If you are not accepted, you start again the following year. Make sense?
Yup. Thanks twelvetigers.
PS: I think your avatar is my fav. I chuckle everytime I see it. :p

*THIS IS IMHO ONLY**

I would not apply to Tufts and UPenn with your stats AS OF RIGHT NOW. They are extremely competitive (yes even among already competitive vet. schools), and GPA and GRE (especially GRE it seems) matter a lot to them. That said, their average GRE scores from last year: Penn (569V 702Q) and Tufts (710Q and 600V)--per VMSAR

Also, this is from Penn admissions' mouth: when I went there for a tour, they told me they look and place a big value on how competitive YOUR SCHOOL is. Meaning, they look at your undergrad school ranking."

Do you know that Penn and Tufts put a lot of weight on GRE scores just by looking at their student stats, or is that info from an additional source? I am still waiting to hear from both and I have GRE scores above their average, but my gpa is low. How do you find out your undergrad's rankings? Mine had a reputation for being challenging but I've never seen official rankings.
Thanks!

Do you know that Penn and Tufts put a lot of weight on GRE scores just by looking at their student stats, or is that info from an additional source? I am still waiting to hear from both and I have GRE scores above their average, but my gpa is low. How do you find out your undergrad's rankings? Mine had a reputation for being challenging but I've never seen official rankings.
Thanks!

I found the rankings, so nevermind about that part of the question! Unless you can tell me what counts as a good ranking?

I have applied once through VMCAS. If I have to apply again will all my info still be there or do I have to start from scratch again? I hope that it will still be there and I can just edit it and move things around.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is *supposed* to keep your class info. Now, they said that last year, and it didn't happen. But maybe it will this year! I don't think it keeps the other information (experiences and such) but that's not as dreadful as entering all the classes, so I'm perfectly okay if they can just get that info to transfer over.

If you want to study abroad..try UCD in Dublin, Ireland

It is *supposed* to keep your class info. Now, they said that last year, and it didn't happen. But maybe it will this year! I don't think it keeps the other information (experiences and such) but that's not as dreadful as entering all the classes, so I'm perfectly okay if they can just get that info to transfer over.

No, VMCAS will not bring data over from a prior year application. There's lots of reasons for this, the least of which is development time to make that happen. Sorry!!

How would I go about keeping an accurate record of my animal/veterinary experience? Is it simply getting a letter from my boss to prove I worked there? or is there more to it?

You don't have to provide proof in the form of a letter or anything. You just list the experience along with a contact and a phone number.

You will need three letters of recommendation, but these are independent of your experience - just need to be from peers that know you well and would write you a glowing recommendation for veterinary school. One of the three generally HAS to be from a vet.

You don't have to provide proof in the form of a letter or anything. You just list the experience along with a contact and a phone number.

You will need three letters of recommendation, but these are independent of your experience - just need to be from peers that know you well and would write you a glowing recommendation for veterinary school. One of the three generally HAS to be from a vet.

Well, I think they really like to see one from a vet, but the vet i put in vmcas for an elor never got around to it, so at least for KSU It was not a must.

I have applied once through VMCAS. If I have to apply again will all my info still be there or do I have to start from scratch again? I hope that it will still be there and I can just edit it and move things around.

I think you can print it out before you send it in... so in the event that you have to re-apply and re-enter info (tedious as it may be...),you will at least have a paper copy from the year before so you don't leave anything out.

I *think* that the VMCAS let's you do this. I had to fill out two forms for the schools I applied to, VMCAS and a separate (but exact same) application for Texas A&M. The one for A&M I printed out for "just-in-case" purposes and I don't remember for sure if the VMCAS has that option also.

I think you can print it out before you send it in... so in the event that you have to re-apply and re-enter info (tedious as it may be...),you will at least have a paper copy from the year before so you don't leave anything out.

I *think* that the VMCAS let's you do this. I had to fill out two forms for the schools I applied to, VMCAS and a separate (but exact same) application for Texas A&M. The one for A&M I printed out for "just-in-case" purposes and I don't remember for sure if the VMCAS has that option also.

you are correct. There is a "Print Application" button on the left hand side. However, maake sure you print it early because they delete them at a certain point and you can't access it anymore.

you are correct. There is a "Print Application" button on the left hand side. However, maake sure you print it early because they delete them at a certain point and you can't access it anymore.

I'm still managing to access mine (actually just did a bit ago....) Not sure when they delete them!

Also, be aware that the first four of those schools look VERY highly on your GPA and test scores, especially for OOS students. Those schools more so than the others, I would think. That's something to take into consideration, depending on what kind of student you are.

As for Virginia Maryland, take a look at how many out of state students they accept every year...VS the number of applicants, it's not very good odds.

This is true, but there are one or two NJ residents here. I'm class of 2014 at VMRCVM and I was a MD (though DC is where I was born and lived quite a bit) resident applying to schools in 2009. Though I got into Penn and Wisconsin, I ultimately decided on VMRCVM because of tuition, proximity to home, and because I really love Blacksburg, VA; it's simply beautiful in the Shenandoah/New River region. I'm from DC and wanted to get away from the city and stay in a mostly low-crime area. My dog, a Boxer, also needs space to run and there is ample space in a rural area.

For out-of-state students, VMRCVM is expanding the number of seats in the future, so I think there will probably be more seats available for you as well. I think those seats will be available for the class entering in 2012, depending on construction, but it might also be pushed back to 2013. You know how slow growth can be in an academic environment :)

This is true, but there are one or two NJ residents here. I'm class of 2014 at VMRCVM and I was a MD (though DC is where I was born and lived quite a bit) resident applying to schools in 2009. Though I got into Penn and Wisconsin, I ultimately decided on VMRCVM because of tuition, proximity to home, and because I really love Blacksburg, VA; it's simply beautiful in the Shenandoah/New River region. I'm from DC and wanted to get away from the city and stay in a mostly low-crime area. My dog, a Boxer, also needs space to run and there is ample space in a rural area.

For out-of-state students, VMRCVM is expanding the number of seats in the future, so I think there will probably be more seats available for you as well. I think those seats will be available for the class entering in 2012, depending on construction, but it might also be pushed back to 2013. You know how slow growth can be in an academic environment :)

Hey, since you go to VMRCVM - what do you know of their agreement with AUA in the Caribbean? Anything good/bad/otherwise?

Are chances a lot better applying to Glasgow or London or Dublin? How do they compare to US? Would I be equally prepared and trained?

Are chances a lot better applying to Glasgow or London or Dublin? How do they compare to US? Would I be equally prepared and trained?

By London you mean RVC yes? And yes, all these schools will prepare you for the NAVLE which all US students take to practice in America, in addition to anyone who wants to practice in the USA (at least RVC does, can others vouch for Dublin and Glasgow Universities?). These 3 are AVMA-accredited, so they are on the same level, the programs may be a bit different though, as are a lot of the US schools to each other, so it's all about which program may suit you. Although if you get a degree at any of these schools you can practice in the UK or Ireland (actually, probably both), in addition to most of Europe, AND the USA if you pass your NAVLE. There may be some advantages in the schools themselves because of this. All personal decision really! I know personally from experience that RVC majorly over-accepts because MANY America applicants will decline their offer for a US school, I think this year they accepted around 200 international applicants and probably 60-70 will actually attend. They also interview earlier, so hopefully it won't interfere with any American interviews you may get. I found out on my interview status about a month after I submitted the VMCAS on Oct 1st.

So, depends, fantastic, and yes!

Does anyone know how many OOS students are accepted to Texas A&M vet school?

Any word from friends or other what they like and dislike about Glasgow vs. RVC? I really loved Glasgow, but wondered about feedback from students re: classes, city and social. Also, living in a large city like London, do you ever feel you are on a campus?

Any word from friends or other what they like and dislike about Glasgow vs. RVC? I really loved Glasgow, but wondered about feedback from students re: classes, city and social. Also, living in a large city like London, do you ever feel you are on a campus?

AngSchmange and I haven't been to RVC yet, we're both starting this fall in the 4-yr program. You might be better off posting this question in one of the school specific threads on RVC (there are a couple). Every once in a while a current student will sign on to SDN and answer questions. Plus there is a lot of useful info in these threads already.

Not sure if this would be the right place to ask, but does anyone know what the best school(s) would be if I wanted to eventually study & research wolves? Thanks! :D

Not sure if this would be the right place to ask, but does anyone know what the best school(s) would be if I wanted to eventually study & research wolves? Thanks! :D

A PhD program? Not sure if veterinary medicine is the right path for you if you have a desire to study wolves. There may be one job in wolf conservation medicine studying disease or something (read: one job anywhere in the world), but that's a definite rarity and not something veterinarians usually undertake.

This is really early to be asking, I won't even be applying until 2014 or 2015 but I want to know what schools to be looking at.

First off, I am a 29 y.o. Missouri resident. I have a 3.75 right now. Science GPA 4.0. I am attending a Community College but transferring to Mizzou after I get my A.A. Once there I intend to Major in Animal Science. Mizzou is obviously my first choice because it is instate but also because of their 6 year academic forgiveness. Fresh out of high school I did terribly because I was not mature enough to handle the resposibility. I was a "C" student. Then I went on to a technical college and an online college, both of which are not usually accepted by "brick and morter" institutions.

So my question, to get to the point, is whether there are any other schools that will do academic forgiveness for out of state? Tufts sent me info but I can only assume they don't realize my previous GPA and just know of my current. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I heard about this academic forgiveness at mizzou too- where did you find information on this?? I'd be interested to know. I don't know of any other schools that provide this...

This is really early to be asking, I won't even be applying until 2014 or 2015 but I want to know what schools to be looking at.

First off, I am a 29 y.o. Missouri resident. I have a 3.75 right now. Science GPA 4.0. I am attending a Community College but transferring to Mizzou after I get my A.A. Once there I intend to Major in Animal Science. Mizzou is obviously my first choice because it is instate but also because of their 6 year academic forgiveness. Fresh out of high school I did terribly because I was not mature enough to handle the resposibility. I was a "C" student. Then I went on to a technical college and an online college, both of which are not usually accepted by "brick and morter" institutions.

So my question, to get to the point, is whether there are any other schools that will do academic forgiveness for out of state? Tufts sent me info but I can only assume they don't realize my previous GPA and just know of my current. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I heard about this academic forgiveness at mizzou too- where did you find information on this?? I'd be interested to know. I don't know of any other schools that provide this...

I found it on the website- academic forgiveness is offered at some schools for undergraduates only. You can't apply to the vet school and plead academic forgiveness for your grades from another school... just to clarify.

I have a different question regarding what schools to apply to, but I thought I would keep it under this thread.

I'm a resident of Illinois, so my in-state school is Illinois obviously. My admission numbers such as GPA and GRE are right on track with Illinois' averages. I want to stay in the Midwest, so my question is this:: should I even bother applying to the OOS schools with higher admission standards, since Illinois is my best bet for 1) being my instate school and 2) not having such high admission standards on average?

Realistically, I feel as if I don't get into Illinois, I won't get in anywhere else. So how many schools do I even apply to?

I'm specifically looking at MSU and Purdue. I'm already at a disadvantage for being OOS, and right now my GPA isn't where it needs to be for those schools. I don't want to take microbiology and pay to take animal nutrition online for those schools if it will just be a waste.

Does anyone know any stories about getting lucky as an OOS-er? or is my assumption that if Illinois doesn't take me then no one will a safe bet?

I have a different question regarding what schools to apply to, but I thought I would keep it under this thread.

I'm a resident of Illinois, so my in-state school is Illinois obviously. My admission numbers such as GPA and GRE are right on track with Illinois' averages. I want to stay in the Midwest, so my question is this:: should I even bother applying to the OOS schools with higher admission standards, since Illinois is my best bet for 1) being my instate school and 2) not having such high admission standards on average?

Realistically, I feel as if I don't get into Illinois, I won't get in anywhere else. So how many schools do I even apply to?

I'm specifically looking at MSU and Purdue. I'm already at a disadvantage for being OOS, and right now my GPA isn't where it needs to be for those schools. I don't want to take microbiology and pay to take animal nutrition online for those schools if it will just be a waste.

Does anyone know any stories about getting lucky as an OOS-er? or is my assumption that if Illinois doesn't take me then no one will a safe bet?

I got accepted to my OOS and rejected from my IS. My OOS has slightly lower admissions requirements, but nonetheless, you never know!!! I would suggest applying to the schools that you would be excited to go to or at least be willing to go to. I am attending my OOS and could not imagine being anywhere else! I was shocked the way my path turned, but it definitely turned out for the best. Definitely consider OOS if it is possible for you to attend them.

So I'm mostly curious what other people have done that are in the same boat that I'm in. I'm a Rhode Island resident so I don't have a state school and RI doesn't contract with any schools. Like most people, my first priority is going to school as cheaply as possible. Because of that, my top choices right now are Wisconsin and Mizzou. I'm on the fence about NC only because I'm not sure I'll have the opportunity to take nutrition. I was thinking about Ohio as well since they have the instate tuition after first year, but frankly it doesn't end up being any less expensive than most schools with the outrageous 60k the first year. I will probably also apply to Tufts and Cornell since they're closer to home, but that throws the price thing out the window.
I'll be applying next cycle. I think I should end up being relatively competitive. I have a cum GPA of 3.78 and a science GPA of 3.5ish at the moment. I haven't taken the GRE yet, but practice tests are putting me in the 740+ range for Quant and 520-620 for Verbal. I'm trying to get some Equine/Large animal experience but I have 1500 hours in wildlife and 1000 hours in SA/Exotics at the moment.
Anyways, I'm curious where other people have ended up applying when their only option is OOS. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

So I'm mostly curious what other people have done that are in the same boat that I'm in. I'm a Rhode Island resident so I don't have a state school and RI doesn't contract with any schools. Like most people, my first priority is going to school as cheaply as possible. Because of that, my top choices right now are Wisconsin and Mizzou. I'm on the fence about NC only because I'm not sure I'll have the opportunity to take nutrition. I was thinking about Ohio as well since they have the instate tuition after first year, but frankly it doesn't end up being any less expensive than most schools with the outrageous 60k the first year. I will probably also apply to Tufts and Cornell since they're closer to home, but that throws the price thing out the window.
I'll be applying next cycle. I think I should end up being relatively competitive. I have a cum GPA of 3.78 and a science GPA of 3.5ish at the moment. I haven't taken the GRE yet, but practice tests are putting me in the 740+ range for Quant and 520-620 for Verbal. I'm trying to get some Equine/Large animal experience but I have 1500 hours in wildlife and 1000 hours in SA/Exotics at the moment.
Anyways, I'm curious where other people have ended up applying when their only option is OOS. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
FYI: It is my understanding that Ohio gives a scholarship to OOS the first year to mitigate the cost (of course that is never guaranteed).

Wildcatj - NC State offers a nutrition course through their animal science program online. I took it during the Spring semester a few years back and it was quite easy! Definitely something to look into if you are looking for another school to apply to...

FYI: It is my understanding that Ohio gives a scholarship to OOS the first year to mitigate the cost (of course that is never guaranteed).

I had heard rumors this was the case, about $10,000 was what I heard. Even if they give out a fair amount of scholarships I'd definitely consider applying!

And thanks petdr! I'll have to look into that!

Shouldn't the title of this thread be, 'To Which Schools Should I Apply'?

Hi! I'm new to SDN and currently a freshman in college. I'm trying to get a sense of upper-level pre-requisites so as to be able to get a sense of what classes to take next year and which year is the best to go abroad. Because the pre-requisites vary between the veterinary schools, I'm interested in narrowing down my list to two top choices, and focusing on especially getting those required classes out of the way (does this seem like a good idea, or too focused too early on?)

To narrow the options down, however, I've come across a couple issues. First, the only school for which I would be in-state is Tufts, a private school. Does Tufts still give precedence to MA residents, or, as a private school, is it more open to a geographically diverse class (thereby reducing my chances)? Second, I'm currently at a highly ranked, rigorous LAC. It's very strong in the sciences, however, it's also incredibly challenging. I'm concerned about being able to keep a high enough GPA for the veterinary schools I would like to consider due to the nature of my college and its intensity. Do most veterinary schools take the rank and challenge of the undergraduate institution into consideration? Or are there any in particular that do so, and could therefore play to my advantage?

I realize this is all early, and I intend on being very flexible and realistic when it really comes down to applying, but I feel that it can't be too early to at least start sketching things out. Thank you so much!

Hi! I'm new to SDN and currently a freshman in college. I'm trying to get a sense of upper-level pre-requisites so as to be able to get a sense of what classes to take next year and which year is the best to go abroad. Because the pre-requisites vary between the veterinary schools, I'm interested in narrowing down my list to two top choices, and focusing on especially getting those required classes out of the way (does this seem like a good idea, or too focused too early on?)

To narrow the options down, however, I've come across a couple issues. First, the only school for which I would be in-state is Tufts, a private school. Does Tufts still give precedence to MA residents, or, as a private school, is it more open to a geographically diverse class (thereby reducing my chances)? Second, I'm currently at a highly ranked, rigorous LAC. It's very strong in the sciences, however, it's also incredibly challenging. I'm concerned about being able to keep a high enough GPA for the veterinary schools I would like to consider due to the nature of my college and its intensity. Do most veterinary schools take the rank and challenge of the undergraduate institution into consideration? Or are there any in particular that do so, and could therefore play to my advantage?

I realize this is all early, and I intend on being very flexible and realistic when it really comes down to applying, but I feel that it can't be too early to at least start sketching things out. Thank you so much!

For the most part, a lot of schools have the same pre-requisites but might vary a little in the number of credits they require for each one. Some schools require a few extra courses such as animal science, animal nutrition, microbiology, etc, but all that can be found at this website.http://aavmc.org/College-Specific-R...ific-Requirements_College-Specifications.aspx
Each link will take you to a pdf that lists each school's pre-reqs, minimum GPA and GRE scores and generally the number of IS and OOS students they take. It's a really great place to start when trying to decide where you want to apply.

As far as the rigor of you undergrad school, I've heard some schools take that into consideration, but that's just what I've heard and I'm not sure how true it is and how much it factors into a decision. I've always been under the impression with school that it is better to struggle a little bit in challenging classes than to breeze through easier ones.

As for going abroad, most people go abroad their junior year. My school had an amazing program that allowed me to go for the whole year and I was still able to stay on track with all my science coursework. I actually took mainly science classes (physics, biochem, micro, animal parasitology and intro to marine vertebrates) while I was there. So definitely look at all the programs offered by your school and see if any allow you to take courses while your abroad. If not, you might have to take a semester/year off from your science courses which could be challenging since you might end up having to take more science courses at a single time to stay on track.

As far as Tufts is concern, they do accept a fair number OOS students since they are a private institution. For the c/o 2015, about 1/3 of the class are MA residents. I know from talking to them, that they do place a lot of importance on GPA and GRE scores but I'm not sure how much importance they place on where you did your undergraduate education.

Hope this is somewhat helpful!

Not sure if this has been asked, but how effective would it be to ask two vets from the same hospital for LORs?

There are two vets at the SA hospital I work at and I would feel terrible if I asked one and not the other...