DO's and USMLE step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swaamedic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any pros or cons for DO's to taking USMLE step 2 after recieveing an "average" score on step 1? Are there some residencies that require all steps of the USMLE? I'm torn wheather to take the beast or not....any advice? :)

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't take the USMLE... but I do think taking Step 1 helps. I really don't think taking step 2 really helps... because not all students have taken it by the time they apply anyways. Unless you really screwed the pooch on Step 1, I wouldn't take it.

Q

QuinnNSU said:
Unless you really screwed the pooch on Step 1, I wouldn't take it. Q

he's ABSOLUTELY right....trust me, i am in the heap right now for step 2!!!! step 1 was BOMBED!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah I only took usmle 1... very glad to have done it, several interviewers commented that they were glad to see that.

Only knew 2 people who took usmle 2 both trying to match into ACGME radiology.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with the above posters; I think you can really gain some points by a strong showing with Step II. Don't be afraid to start studying now and take it in a 2-3 months and you'll have your scores in time to show off to your programs. There have been plenty of stories of average Step I scores followed by stellar Step II scores (myself included).