DO's looking for ACGME EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpsmanUP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a resident at U-Iowa and I am one of 2 DO's in my class of 6. This program impresses me more each day and I am finding myself to be getting incredible training only 2 months into residency thus far. I just spent a weeks as one of the physicians on RAGBRAI (Iowa's Tour de France) and it was a total blast. As some of you may know though, U-Iowa makes it really tough for MD's and DO's alike to do visiting rotations in certain specialties here. The biggest problem is that there are so few spots available for electives that U-Iowa takes most of them.

But if any of you DO's want to come and check out the place, you are more than welcome to come for a weekend and perhaps work out doing a shaddowing experience with me, I can hopefully set it up. I will offer up my basement with a bedroom/ bath and living room fully furnished if you are interested.

Drop a line if any of you are interested. U-Iowa EM is extremely DO friendly with our assistant director being a DO, as well as another faculty.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that the U of I is going to be setting up another EM residency program at St. Luke's Hospital in Cedar Rapids. If this is true, I would only expect it to be even more DO friendly as the Head of the ER now is a DMU grad.

Do you have any advice for someone looking to set up an elective there or is it nearly impossible?

What you are referring to about St. Lukes is the fact that we already rotate there 6 months of our 36 months. It is considered our community EM rotation and is supposed to be quite nice.

As for the rotation, I would not bother trying to do it. We accept few if any outside medical students because we are so full with our own. We could easily fill our program with just the UI students but I don't think that is what my program director intends. Only 2 in my class were from UI and I know there were more that wanted to come here from UI.

I did not rotate at any of the programs that I ultimately ranked in my top 10, and I know it is not a huge issue. It can seriously work to your advantage but in the end only about 10% of applicants end up rotating where they match. So don't sweat it. Instead show some interest by emailing the PD and going for a short shaddowing experience if available. Good luck.

Hey Corpsman -

Glad to hear you're enjoying your time at U of I. How's life otherwise? How is the family?

And btw, I haven't heard from your sister-in-law at all up here in PA. HAHAhahaHAHAhAhAhA!

jd

PS - do you think I could get in there at U of I? I'm still looking for a home for next year.

corpsmanUP said:
What you are referring to about St. Lukes is the fact that we already rotate there 6 months of our 36 months. It is considered our community EM rotation and is supposed to be quite nice.

As for the rotation, I would not bother trying to do it. We accept few if any outside medical students because we are so full with our own. We could easily fill our program with just the UI students but I don't think that is what my program director intends. Only 2 in my class were from UI and I know there were more that wanted to come here from UI.

I did not rotate at any of the programs that I ultimately ranked in my top 10, and I know it is not a huge issue. It can seriously work to your advantage but in the end only about 10% of applicants end up rotating where they match. So don't sweat it. Instead show some interest by emailing the PD and going for a short shaddowing experience if available. Good luck.