MD & DO Double Major in Health Science and Biology? Plus general advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eah5683

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening aspiring doctors! I am currently a sophomore at Truman State University with a major in Health Science and a concentration in Pre-Medical Sciences. I had a very rough personal year last year (one of my family members was diagnosed with cancer) and had to take a W in Inorganic Chemistry I and an F in Trigonometry. My GPA went down to a 3.53. I am not currently in any organizations, but would like to join Pre-osteopathic or Pre-allopathic organization next semester.

I am considering double majoring in Health Science and Biology, but it would require me to stay an extra year (5 years in total). In addition I am also considering getting a minor in Spanish for the Professional (a minor designated use in medical professions). What is do my fellow aspiring student doctors think? Please let me know. Have a great day and best of luck with all your endeavors.

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering double majoring in Health Science and Biology, but it would require me to stay an extra year (5 years in total). In addition I am also considering getting a minor in Spanish for the Professional (a minor designated use in medical professions). What is do my fellow aspiring student doctors think? .
With regard to medical school: we don't care about your major; we really don't care about your minor(s). We expect you to distinguish yourself in your chosen field of study and give us evidence that you your have competency in the sciences sufficient to begin what we need to teach you in medical school.

That said, language skills are appreciated (minor or no!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Gyngyn summarized it pretty well. From what I understand, I think fluency in a language is much more important than a major or minor in a language.

With regard to medical school: we don't care about your major; we really don't care about your minor(s). We expect you to distinguish yourself in your chosen field of study and give us evidence that you your have competency in the sciences sufficient to begin what we need to teach you in medical school.

That said, language skills are appreciated (minor or no!)

Thank you so much for the advice :)