Double Major or A major and a minor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjt223

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a cell molecular and developmental biology major. I love biology especially stem cell research, but I also have a second passion in programming. I really want to have both of them as a main majors. It is an interest of mine, but also I feel like if medical school does not turn out well for me, at least I have computer science degree to back me up.

So question is, should I major in cell molecular and developmental biology major and minor in computer science and double major both CS and CMDB?

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody will care.

Reactions: 1 user
Do what YOU want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Majors (and minors) are a personal choice. They have no bearing on our view of an application.
This choice only affects an application if it also affects your gpa or performance on the MCAT.

On another level, your personal development does have an affect on your suitability for medicine (and everything else!). To the extent that the choice of a major (or minor) affects your development, it may help or hinder your success. In other words, if your choices keep you studying (in solitude) in order to get the aforementioned gpa and you forgo other experiences, you are a poorer candidate for it. If the major challenges you and develops critical thinking and other important skills, it is helping you no matter what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you truly enjoy programming, then a CS degree will be a valuable asset in any case. If you end up pursuing medicine, there are many opportunities to consult for or directly collaborate with health technology and biotech companies (think 23andMe, Counsyl, the many EHR companies, etc.) Doctors get paid nice chunks of cash for simply sitting on a board of directors too. If medicine doesn't work out for you, a six figure salary in Silicon Valley straight out of undergrad ain't too shabby either...

Source: I was a CS + Bio major.

It's great to see some fellow CS + Bio major here. I wasn't doing double major to impress the adcoms. It was for me. I can't go to the future without a backup plan.

Only pursue a second major if you're truly passionate about it, which you seem to be. Adding a second major to pad a resume is an ineffective strategy for med school apps.

Also, you say that you could use your programming degree as a back up. If this is honestly a significant reason for pursuing programming, make sure you know what programming entails and if you could actually see yourself performing that job. It would be lousy to pick something as a back up only to later find out you don't enjoy the line of work.