Downsides to Uptodate.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Engineerist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love using Uptodate. I have used it as my main study source throughout 4th year and when I try to read Harrison's now- or any textbook- I really dislike the format and wonder if what I am reading is what is true for current practice, or date information.

So are there any downsides to using Uptodate as my sole source? Will I be missing out on anything if I dont use Harrison's or MKSAP?

Its it safe to put your full trust into Uptodate or am I giving it too much authority over my clinical decisions? What would be the alternatives?

I start my IM residency in 2 months.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have read a prior edition of Harrison's from cover to cover, done all of a prior edition of MKSAP, and have an active subscription to UpToDate. There will be no data to back up these statements:

I think Harrison's does a much better job of teaching about a subject for the new physician. It is more comprehensive and in depth. If you are really trying to get full grasp on a subject, Harrison's is a much better place to go.

UpToDate is more like WikiMedicine. If you want to look up a clinical question on the fly, UpToDate does a good job of giving current information about a specific question.

MKSAP question bank is crazy awesome and should be done in its entirety. You can skip the reading section but must do all of the questions and comments to the answers.