DPC Open-source information thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPCsoon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd open a thread to discuss some of the nuts and bolts of one doc's approach to opening a DPC. I'd like to keep the ideas open-source to share the knowledge for others interested in going it alone. There are other venues to promote/seek paid consultation services.

My anticipated start-up costs (low cost-of-living area):
$15,000 for non-disposable equipment (beds, ekg, optha/oto, spiro, holter, lights, basic furniture, computers)
$ 2,000 for consumables/disposables (syringes, dressing material...generally stuff that ends up in the garbage/hazards bin)
$ 2,000 start-up meds (likely will start with less than half this)
$ 2,000 LLC formation/issues/attorney
$ 3,600 first/last month rent including small improvements
$ 3,000 First year EMR ($2,000 follow-on years)
$ 750 Credit card machine and account set-up
$ 500 Uptodate per year (for those so inclined)
$ 4,000 direct-mail approx 20,000 homes with advert card (maybe a complete loss, but gets the word out)
$ xxxxx malpractice premiums
$ xxxx slip and fall coverage
$ xxx personal health insurance
$ xxx montly utilities (phones, internet, electricity); lease includes maintenance and water/sewer
$ xxx Bookeeping service. In long term, likely do myself.
$ x Payroll taxes etc, then pay
$ ???? I'm kicking around lab capability to check certain complex labs (TA/alk P, wbc, CRP, etc) inhouse after hours. Plan is to start without this capability but I'm prepared to purchase it the second or third time I really wish I had it.
$ ????? savings to stay afloat until profitable

Equipment/furniture cost above assume purchasing the majority of items used (not just serviceable but looks as new etc). The used values come from watching the prices on Craigslist, ebay, etc, for months. My actual spreadsheet equipment cost is around $12,000 (for those who excel at scrounging).

Office operational basics upon opening:
-No insurance accepted or processed.
-Straight family med. No narcs, bzd, stimulant, disability eval, weight loss, cosmetics, b-12, etc.
-All payments credit card only with auto-pay (easy to set up).
-sign-up includes first and last month fees. Failure to pay follow-on generates state-mandated 30-day notice of end of doc/patient relationship.
-typical 24/7 electronic access for flat fee.
-two tier payments; upper-tier one flat fee per month, second lower-tier is lesser charge with co-pay per office visit.
-after-hour visits with co-pay
-time will tell but: no extra charge for bedbound patient home visits for limited number of patients (see on the way home types)
-no special fees for procedures
-Contracted two 60 hour weekends off per month (6p fri to 6a monday twice per month). In future with partner I'd swap call.
-No vacation first year.
-No assistant. Because I have large savings buffer, I plan to hire an assistant as soon as enrollment would essentially pay the assistant's salary and benefits.
-Basic waived labs capability (ua, hgb, rapid tests, etc); included in basic fee
-Out of office phlebo for routine labs
-In office phlebo by me if needed
-Spiro, EKG, holter, injections by me
-Chaperone by family. Consideration for clustering pap visits with PRN help.
-No office immunizations to start, prepared to procure if demand is there. Adds $$$/headaches a bit.
-Office large enough for same-minded partner and med assistant in the future
-Online scheduling; voicemail scheduling for the online impaired
-Secure online messaging
-Local lab contracted to communicate with EMR
-No imaging (I already own a POC USN). Local urgent care for plain films until 10pm.

Money summary:
$25,000 to open is possible.
$ 5,000 monthly fixed cost (no assistant) to stay open.
Clearly having large cash reserves (e.g. one year operational and household expenses), would be ideal. Alternatively, having a second (spousal) income and/or having access to secure local evening/weekend moonlighting opportunities could be used as supplemental income until afloat.

Options:
Not for me, but offer cash-only urgent care/PCP services and charge a fixed fee per visit (e.g. $100 per visit) to supplement income. My malpractice company would charge a different rate for running an UC.

Crazy nuclear option if you open a DPC, it isn't working, and you are about to be homeless:
Charge $20/month/any age. $20/month x 600 patients is $12,000 per month. This would cover overhead and household expenses. Not an ideal solution, but the concept provides me at least some kind of security knowing that I could do this and not end up homeless. If I couldn't attract 600 patients at $20/month (or 400 patients at $30/month) then arguably I have made some serious strategic errors in choosing a practice location, or, I really am in the wrong line of work.

How much is enough money thoughts:
My personal income goal is to make MGMA average FM after overhead (fixed costs) are taken. Beyond this I personally would need to measure my interest in seeing more paying patients vs working for free (special needs patients, etc). The latter option has always proven 100% rewarding and it's option that I've not had in years.

I'm obviously early on in this process but am open to discuss what I've learned and to hear what I need to learn about. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm really looking forward to updates on this post. The goal seems to be to keep overhead extremely low (low cost of living, used equipment) to facilitate a DPC style, something everyone wants to do nowadays. You clearly have most of the specifics pretty well thought out, so I would be interested to see what your actual expenses are compared to what you budgeted. Also, maybe you will include any surprises along the way and changes you made?

Thanks

Money summary:
$25,000 to open is possible.
$ 5,000 monthly fixed cost (no assistant) to stay open.

Clearly having large cash reserves (e.g. one year operational and household expenses), would be ideal. Alternatively, having a second (spousal) income and/or having access to secure local evening/weekend moonlighting opportunities could be used as supplemental income until afloat.

That's pretty epic! I'm wishing you the best and look forward to updates to this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also excited to see updates! I love that DPC keeps growing. The blessing of the AAFP is also exciting.

i'm planning on doing something similar once i complete residency. i'll definitely be interested to see your updates.

how are you planning on recruiting patients into your practice? to me, that seems to be the hardest part if you're starting from scratch. (edit: i saw that you are doing a mail campaign. are you having success with that approach? considering other marketing strategies?)

My anticipated start-up costs (low cost-of-living area):
$15,000 for non-disposable equipment (beds, ekg, optha/oto, spiro, holter, lights, basic furniture, computers)
$ 2,000 for consumables/disposables (syringes, dressing material...generally stuff that ends up in the garbage/hazards bin)
$ 2,000 start-up meds (likely will start with less than half this)
$ 2,000 LLC formation/issues/attorney
$ 3,600 first/last month rent including small improvements
$ 3,000 First year EMR ($2,000 follow-on years)
$ 750 Credit card machine and account set-up
$ 500 Uptodate per year (for those so inclined)
$ 4,000 direct-mail approx 20,000 homes with advert card (maybe a complete loss, but gets the word out)

Ideas:

1. Keep overhead even lower ( I started out insanely small for the first year)
2. can UpToDate
3. $2,000 to form a corporation is 20x too much. Do it yourself for what ever your state fees are (about $100).
4. Maybe go for PracticeFusion because it is free
5. $750 for credit card machine is too much
6. way too many items for a starting practice. A Ritter 204 is $1200 NEW. Buy 1 of those for now and one hand held ophth/otho with recharger base for about $600 new
7. spirometry will not make sense initially, if ever.
8. can build your own Linux Ubutu computers for $200 each without monitor using New Egg parts (you will have the time initially to build your own) (Practice Fusion does work on Linux)
9. Do your own payroll
10. the terrible idea of (Charge $20/month/any age. $20/month x 600 patients is $12,000 per month. This would cover overhead and household expenses.) is terrible. Take insurance before starting down that road.

I would get a partner so you can moonlight. Some docs trying DPC without significant cash reserves and a partner have run out of cash very quickly long before they could reasonably assemble a good panel of patients. Plan on it taking a couple years minimum to be busy. Keeping overhead to the bone while pulling urgent care/hospitalist shifts will keep the student loans paid and food on the table while your DPC experiment costs you only rent and advertising. Split that with a partner and it'll be pretty manageable even if you don't break even for a long period of time.

Got a message from this guy on LinkedIn:
After being contacted by numerous residents about how to go directly into a DPC practice (not easy without an established panel), I have come up with some ways to help you when the time is right.

Stay in touch. (Tell your friends, too). Thanks and have a great weekend.

Bill Cossart

Last edited:
KLycos,
Please share the ideas. Please also delete the commercial references.
Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Credit card payments - consider getting a Square device. The device itself is free, Square just takes a little taste of each transaction, something like 1-2%. Google them. They'll work with android devices, apple, etc. Super convenient. Don't pay $750 for a credit card machine or even lease one. That's just a rip-off.

LLC/PLLC formation. Just go to your state's corporation commission website, download the forms and fill them out yourself. There will be a processing fee, probably $50-100, plus you'll probably have to run a legal notice in a newspaper for a certain number of days (no more than $150 for all three days), so $250 max to set up your LLC/PLLC. You definitely don't need an attorney to simply establish yourself as a business, although talking with an attorney to discuss ways to protect yourself and your assets would definitely be a smart move.

I concur with the above poster - if you can, purchase computer components and assemble them yourself. You'll save some change and get exactly the specs you want. Newegg and Tigerdirect are good places to look around.

Good luck.

Wow, strong first comment to that article. I'm quoting it here for posterity in case somebody is too busy to follow the link.
This may work for private insurance and especially new ACA patients with high deductibles, which new ACA patients are less than 5 % of my practice. However my practice in a small town in Western NC is about 45% medicare, 10% Medicaid and still about 8 % self pay. This does nothing to to address anything which is the real crisis us trenchers are facing.

We would still be burdened with prior authorizations for medications and test we order. It would do nothing for the onerous task of inputting what insurance companies and the government want us to report so they can monitor us , and in many cases deny us payment. It does nothing to stop the new ICD-10 disaster.

Most of my patients are dirt poor and I believe could not afford a monthly payment and are again Medicare and Medicaid. I think it would encourage over utilization of primary care services and fill up other paying schedule slots. We are burned out with all of this stuff. Not to mention new board recertification requirements, new regulations to require us to take an 8 hour course and travel for a day to take a DOT course so we can do DOT physicals.

I have recently been required by Humana to to a prior authorization for 25 phenergan tablets for a metastatic melanoma patient on interferon, that was Humana medicare. They also 2 yrs ago required me to do a Prior authorization on an 81 yr old female diabetic with new onset SHORTNESS OF BREATH , for a nuclear stress. After my assistant was on the phone for 15 mins answering the same questions to a non clinical person, i got on the phone and demanded to get it done only to be informed the doctor for Humana would have to review it and had 3 days to do so,the day the test was scheduled had to cancel it, and finally got it approved 4 days after that. She failed it and went to cath and had a 99% blockage of her LAD. I had to do a prior auth on a lady with severe nausea and vomiting in my office trying to keep her out of hospital for 10 phenergan suppositories which took 2 days.

I just read the NC medical boards new statement on chronic pain management which was 27 pages long. Chronic pain management is a difficult and controversial issue for sure. We do all we can to drug test, pill count, and use gut judgement. However after reading it and all the documentation they require I was exhausted and figure it would take an hour for each visit to document all the things they suggested. We are faced with no increase in reimbursement, rising costs, more documentation and more regulations and burdened with trying to get the medications we prescribed approved thru insurance companies that do not have patients care in mind, rather profits.

I have written AMA, AAFP, NC insurance commissioner, congressman from the 11th district about many of these issues and had no response. My gut feeling is these organizations do not realize what we are going thru and maybe they are in a bubble. I see academia's people that write blogs with no clue of what is going on. I see the American Board of Family practice adding to the requirements of recertification adding just one more burden on us that we do not need. Is it not enough to do your 50 CME's? I am afraid we are going down a worse road to failure of primary care.

The cost of going to school and the emotional and financial cost if unbearable. Do you really think that offering some school cost reimbursement is going to change this?? wrong we are in this for maybe 40 years and to keep primary care docs from accepting jobs with insurance companies to deny tests and medications, going into academia , seeking jobs in urgent cares and ER's( I worked ER for 11 yrs) and do not plan on going back. Something needs to happen and I wish I could do it.

Unfortunately, I am a solo independent practitioner with 1 FNP and cant afford to spend days off serving. I have a margin of profit of 15%. I have 13 employees and often feel like I am on a treadmill. I have made many innovations, I love my EHR but resent all I have to input and spend 2 hrs after work finishing up charts. Thats ok ,It gives me time to relax and reflect and do my documentation outside of a rushed office day. I have been doing electronic medical records since 1994 when I was in the ER. My fear is I dont do it right and get a bad audit, and have to repay money. ITs a mess folks.

Sorry for the rant and thanks to AAFP for providing us a rant board. Maybe we can fix what is wrong and let us do the job we love. Because of all of the intrusions I truly still love to see my patients. We need to get the beurocrats, insurance companies, drug companies, out of the solutions and let us docs practice medicine. It will likely take a revolt. from an independent Family doc Michael Brown Waynesville NC.

ps I am a second generation Family doc, my father was once President of NCAFP and a delegate of of AMA. He retired 4 yrs ago at age 81. He served family medicine for 55 years. Sadly I do not think I can last near that long. He prided himself on being automatous and being able to "practice" medicine and try new things and study new things on his on. Sadly that privilege is gone

Posted by MICHAEL BROWN MD on June 18, 2014 at 10:17 PM CDT #
Dr. Brown seems like the stereotype of the "frustrated FM physician" I keep hearing about in the pre-residency forums (yet strangely I have never met one in real life or in this forum for FM physicians). I wonder if Dr. Brown would have fewer rants and frustrations if he switched to a Direct Primary Care model? Would patient care suffer?

Wow, strong first comment to that article. I'm quoting it here for posterity in case somebody is too busy to follow the link.

Dr. Brown seems like the stereotype of the "frustrated FM physician" I keep hearing about in the pre-residency forums (yet strangely I have never met one in real life or in this forum for FM physicians). I wonder if Dr. Brown would have fewer rants and frustrations if he switched to a Direct Primary Care model? Would patient care suffer?

He has some valid points, but his defeatist attitude will be his undoing. Most of us figure out how to deal with change and keep on going.

Reactions: 1 user

I surmise that a small town in Western NC where no one has enough money to even pay you $50/month would not be ideal for a DPC practice. When we're talking about a practice model where patients need some level of disposable income, picking an ideal location would be paramount.

I surmise that a small town in Western NC where no one has enough money to even pay you $50/month would not be ideal for a DPC practice. When we're talking about a practice model where patients need some level of disposable income, picking an ideal location would be paramount.

This brings up a great question: with the emphasis on rural primary care, is there a dpc model that could work in that setting? A hybrid, perhaps? My initial thought is to go with a blue collar membership model that offers at-cost prescription drugs, free labs and long-ish (30-45 minute) visits in a purely outpatient setting. But the twist is that any non-members may come to the clinic on an appointment-only basis to pay cash at prices that include a larger profit for the doc for all services, labs, etc. "Menu" on the front window and website for pricing, with a big "Members' Price: FREE!" to advertise.

This brings up a great question: with the emphasis on rural primary care, is there a dpc model that could work in that setting? A hybrid, perhaps? My initial thought is to go with a blue collar membership model that offers at-cost prescription drugs, free labs and long-ish (30-45 minute) visits in a purely outpatient setting. But the twist is that any non-members may come to the clinic on an appointment-only basis to pay cash at prices that include a larger profit for the doc for all services, labs, etc. "Menu" on the front window and website for pricing, with a big "Members' Price: FREE!" to advertise.

As part of my residency training we spent 1 4-week block with a "rural" provider. He had one building divided in two with 2 separate entrances. One side was staffed with 3 NPs that saw a traditional panel of FP patients (20+ per day each). The other side was his DPC practice that saw 6-10 patient per day. He was always in the building if the other side needed his input but he mainly stuck to side. Seemed to work pretty well and having worked both sides of his building everything seemed to flow pretty smoothly with great patient satisfaction.

Most DPC docs find that the walk ins and one time patients that seemed worthwhile in the beginning when they were eager for new members quickly become much more hassle than they're worth once the DPC has a growing panel of patients.

There's no financial need in the long run to do hybrid DPC and you lose a lot of the simplicity and low overhead that helps DPC work so well for docs and patients.

Reactions: 1 users