Dpm/mph

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulSpartan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a topic on DPM/MBA dual degrees, so I thought it would be good to discuss DPM/MPH.

I've been interested in the MPH since I found out about it a few years ago. My school has a pretty big program and I've met with the director of the program multiple times. Without a doubt I'm interested in what it offers.

The director told me that the MPH paired with an MD or DO degree would open up additional responsibilities and be much needed with the changes coming to our system. However would those same opportunities be opened for DPMs?

Currently Temple offers a dual degree program and MSU offers one through their College of Human Medicine that is done entirely online.

Members don't see this ad.

I have an MPH and I wouldn't recommend getting one without already having a strong pool of technical knowledge and a relevant situation to apply it to. If you are intent on getting one, get the DPM (or MD/DO) first. Practice medicine and then find an MPH that applies to what you want to do.

Last thoughts - find a technically challenging MPH that requires you to write. I'd also say strength in statistics is a must. Everyone and their uncle is getting some sort of masters degree and the quality out there is all over the place. If you have a medical degree and you want to use an MPH to open doors you don't want an empty set of letters after your name. You want an additional skill set, a new set of eyes, and improvement in the way you think and express yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kent is in the process of getting one as well. One of the reasons for the OCPM/KSU merger.

I have an MPH and I wouldn't recommend getting one without already having a strong pool of technical knowledge and a relevant situation to apply it to. If you are intent on getting one, get the DPM (or MD/DO) first. Practice medicine and then find an MPH that applies to what you want to do.

Last thoughts - find a technically challenging MPH that requires you to write. I'd also say strength in statistics is a must. Everyone and their uncle is getting some sort of masters degree and the quality out there is all over the place. If you have a medical degree and you want to use an MPH to open doors you don't want an empty set of letters after your name. You want an additional skill set, a new set of eyes, and improvement in the way you think and express yourself.

Thanks for the advice. The director of the program said he thought it was best to get the MPH first..wonder why :p.

It definitly would boost your CV. I heard several schools it can get fitted in to your schedule not that bad, but still it is extra classes on top of the 24 hours + you are taking. If you are strong at statistics then it might not be too hard. As though of actual use I just wonder, I do not see most in practice really using their skills with an MPH, it seems more govt jobs use that skill set.

I'm not terribly worried about boosting my CV with it (I don't think the 30K to get one really justifies doing it for that reason alone, plus I hate that mentality of doing things to throw on the resume instead of doing them because you want to). I'm genuinely interested in statistics, epidemiology and public health. I'd want to use it to add variety (and options) to my career.

Somehow the words "research" and "academics" have yet to be mentioned.

Anyway - I wouldn't waste anymore time in this forum. You'll get a lot of hearsay and very little substance. There's a research forum further down the page. DPM/MPH isn't listed, but you might see some topics of interest there.

Somehow the words "research" and "academics" have yet to be mentioned.

Anyway - I wouldn't waste anymore time in this forum. You'll get a lot of hearsay and very little substance. There's a research forum further down the page. DPM/MPH isn't listed, but you might see some topics of interest there.

Hey! I think there was at least one reply of substance in this thread.

There is a total lack of research discussion across all the podiatry forums.

True...

But then again, I can't think of many research topics involving podiatry besides surgical stuff.

True...

But then again, I can't think of many research topics involving podiatry besides surgical stuff.

NYCPM had a student present a research project on the spine this year at a national convention.... research in the podiatry realm is expanding quite a bit, at every interview i went to this year the schools asked about my interest in research and made sure to show off the current research they are doing. It ranged from topical ointments to research on parts of the body podiatrists don't even treat... not to mention all of the diabetic care and biomechanics research.

NYCPM had a student present a research project on the spine this year at a national convention.... research in the podiatry realm is expanding quite a bit, at every interview i went to this year the schools asked about my interest in research and made sure to show off the current research they are doing. It ranged from topical ointments to research on parts of the body podiatrists don't even treat... not to mention all of the diabetic care and biomechanics research.

True. I personally want to research biomechanics and flat-feet.