DPM/PhD Pod research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krabmas

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone read the barry block emails?

There has been an interesting discussion lately on the lack of quality research in the pod field.

I know there is research being done but.....

There are PAs and nurse practitioners that have published a grading system on ingrown toe nails (that is our turf). A pod should have published this.

That was just one example.

Members don't see this ad.

The PM news discussions about research in podiatry are interesting to me as well. I am very much in to doing research in podiatry, so it has been a bit of a disapointment to read about the strugles of the podiatric researcher. I personally think that the DPM/Phd programs should model those of the MSTP programs in medicine. The incentive would be full tuition for the 7-8 years in school plus a stipend for living expenses and books. I am willing to bet more students would choose this route if it were available(I know I would do it). I really think that it would increase the calibur of students to the schools and also give them more clout in obtaining grants. Does anyone know if the schools have considered funding a program such as this?

I think it may be an option to pursue a PhD with the DPM at the schools that are integrated with med or osteopathic schools. I do not think there is much funding though. At least not like the MSTP.

I agree that there should be those programs available but it probably will not be until there is enough funding for podiatric research first and then for those DPMs with the funding they could have PhD DPM candidates.

Also, if some DPMs were working at NIH and on the granting commission boards or if we had our own institute or section in an institute like NIDDK (the diabetes institute) we might have a better chance at getting funding.

I looked into doing a PhD with the DPM and sought help from my administration. I'll leave it at - I am pursuing only the DPM. I might get a masters later but most likely I will not be pursuing the PhD.

Podiatry could at least have joint masters programs to get a masters in medical research (not the correct name). Basically it teached research skills and theories like statistics and other things needed to write grants, proposals and projects...

Are you in pod school yet oncogene?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not in pod school right now. I was accepted last year and the decided to defer to get more exposure. I have since shadowed and observed in surgery which I thought was awsome. My problem is the many problems pods seem to face with the allopathic and osteopathic world. Mainly the idea that an orthopod will get higher reimbursements on the same procedures that a podiatrist would perform. I can't tell you how frustrated I am about that. I just can't figure out the justification of that nonsense. I think that this issue is the most important legislation that the APMA should be lobbying for. My other concern is the income issue. I have seen the reports published from the APMA, government, salary.com, as well as those recently posted on this site. The thing is that the podiatry management magazine says that the median pod salary is 125,000 a year. That scares me a bit considering the amount of debt I will be graduating with. I think that the non-surgical pods are dragging the numbers down. I hope that is the case.

I am really excited for podiatry and odds are I will go next fall. I think it could be very rewarding to help steer this profession where it belongs in the medical world.

Sorry about the grammer and spelling I am in a hurry. What do you think about this stuff. Later

From reading your posts I think you would be a great asset to podiatry.

Remember that all professions have their down sides. I agree that is sucks that we are looked down upon by the majority of MDs but Oh - well because I am confidant in the info that I know and I do not need to prove that to anyone. There will always be haters.

If you are stuck on ortho - podiatry is a safe way to go. If you go to MD school unless you are top in your class ortho will be hard to get then you could end up being a gyno or something aweful like that (JK). For some people though the residency picking becomes a crap shoot for MDs.

Originally I was stuck on the MD applied once then said F-it and went for podiatry on sort of a wim and it was the best decision I've made. I am still in school but I love treating the patients - it is like solving problems or puzzles all day long and making people feel better along the way. Especially great when the doctor comes in the room to explain something to the patient and the patient tells the doctor "oh the student already told me that" :laugh:

If you have more questions you can always PM me.