DPM vs Ortho Foot Surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ironlionzion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was rejected from MD schools this past application...waitlisted at BU, Rochester, Einstein, and Hawaii. My MCAT was a 33, and my sGPA is a 3.85 from a top 30 university. You guys on the DPM forums probably get a lot of people like me, who are rejected from medical school and are researching other health professions as "backups." DPM, with its comfortable salary paired with lower MCAT and gpa averages looks enticing. However, I'm probably a little different because I definitely want to go into surgery, and most likely ortho. The top podiatrists, as I have heard from orthopedic surgeons themselves, are just as good as orthopedic foot surgeons. Sorry if I sound like an elitist, but my grades and MCAT are above the range for most pod schools. Paired with the fact that I'm good with my hands (woodworking, electronics building, gaming), I'd probably make a good foot surgeon :laugh:

So a few questions for pre pods and practicing pods:

General question...is podiatry for me? (I'll be shadowing a pod to see for myself as well)

Will I feel limited as a podiatrist? Do any podiatrists who went into the field to be a surgeon feel like they wish they had went the MD ortho route?

Are podiatrists happy overall?

Any other comments would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I was rejected from MD schools this past application...waitlisted at BU, Rochester, Einstein, and Hawaii. My MCAT was a 33, and my sGPA is a 3.85 from a top 30 university. You guys on the DPM forums probably get a lot of people like me, who are rejected from medical school and are researching other health professions as "backups." DPM, with its comfortable salary paired with lower MCAT and gpa averages looks enticing. However, I'm probably a little different because I definitely want to go into surgery, and most likely ortho. The top podiatrists, as I have heard from orthopedic surgeons themselves, are just as good as orthopedic foot surgeons. Sorry if I sound like an elitist, but my grades and MCAT are above the range for most pod schools. Paired with the fact that I'm good with my hands (woodworking, electronics building, gaming), I'd probably make a good foot surgeon :laugh:

General question...is podiatry for me? (I'll be shadowing a pod to see for myself as well)

Will I feel limited as a podiatrist? Do any podiatrists who went into the field to be a surgeon feel like they wish they had went the MD ortho route?

Im just a pre pod hopefully a Pod will chime in but I will say this, With your stats why dont you just reapply to Med/DO school im sure you will get in if you apply to lower standard schools.

I have researched podiatry and I can tell this is certainly a Great profession if you put in the work with your GPA you probably wouldnt have a prob with that.

I'm not sure why you didn't get accepted. My son's best friend got accepted to the first school he applied, graduating from a large university (decent but not great school) with about a 3.6/3.7 and 32 MCAT.

If you are settling for podiatry as a default, I would caution that decision. You should be able to get into allopathic schools with your credentials and can surely get into osteopathic school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure why you didn't get accepted. My son's best friend got accepted to the first school he applied, graduating from a large university (decent but not great school) with about a 3.6/3.7 and 32 MCAT.

If you are settling for podiatry as a default, I would caution that decision. You should be able to get into allopathic schools with your credentials and can surely get into osteopathic school.

The problem is that going osteopathic would make it even harder to match ortho (since DO's are at a comparative disadvantage for the glamour specialties like rads, derm, ortho, etc).

OP you should shadow podiatry, then maybe reapply both MD and podiatry. It's not ideal because I'm sure others here will advise you to pick 1 thing and stick to it, but realistically this way you cover your bases and don't waste a year.

I was asked in interviews about my parents professions. Upon hearing that my dad is a surgeon, the follow up question was always: "So you just want to follow in your dad's footsteps?" While this may be true of some premeds whose parents are doctors, it does not make it any less insulting. I give my usual response to why I want to go into medicine (which actually involves mental health/addiction), which is usually followed by a dissatisfied "hmm." Of course a father will have some influence on what his son becomes interested in, but only in medicine is the idea held with such negative connotations. Medicine loves those who have triumphed over adversity - those who have literally come from rags to riches. Adcoms often blatantly state this in the applications. Most of us with doctor parents will "unfortunately" not come from a disadvantaged background, and ironically become the disadvantaged applicant.

I will reapply for MD schools (mainly the lower tiers) and the top DOs. In one of my interviews I let it slip that I wanted to be some type of surgeon. Immediately I was scolded, albeit jokingly. I guess I'm just a little sick of having to hide that from the admission committees who want applicants eager to become primary care doctors. It seems like podiatry is a little more understanding of the career aspirations of it's applicants. Sorry for the rant, and thanks for the tips guys.

Only you can answer that question, shadow a pod and find out.
Cant answer how you will feel in terms of scope of practice but, Podiatrists I've shadowed said on multiple occasions that they love what they do and that their work does not feel like work at all. I have heard however, from a practicing pod, that a fellow class mate did transfer to become a D.O. Again, find out if it is really for you.

From my experience, absolutely. But then again I can count the Pods I have met on one hand.
Try to get in on a surgery. I think after witnessing a surgery by a Pod you will be impressed. I absolutely agree that Pods are on par with orthopods when it comes to foot and ankle, at least in terms of training.

I was asked in interviews about my parents professions. Upon hearing that my dad is a surgeon, the follow up question was always: "So you just want to follow in your dad's footsteps?" While this may be true of some premeds whose parents are doctors, it does not make it any less insulting. I give my usual response to why I want to go into medicine (which actually involves mental health/addiction), which is usually followed by a dissatisfied "hmm." Of course a father will have some influence on what his son becomes interested in, but only in medicine is the idea held with such negative connotations. Medicine loves those who have triumphed over adversity - those who have literally come from rags to riches. Adcoms often blatantly state this in the applications. Most of us with doctor parents will "unfortunately" not come from a disadvantaged background, and ironically become the disadvantaged applicant.

I will reapply for MD schools (mainly the lower tiers) and the top DOs. In one of my interviews I let it slip that I wanted to be some type of surgeon. Immediately I was scolded, albeit jokingly. I guess I'm just a little sick of having to hide that from the admission committees who want applicants eager to become primary care doctors. It seems like podiatry is a little more understanding of the career aspirations of it's applicants. Sorry for the rant, and thanks for the tips guys.

You've got it totally wrong. They're not scolding you for wanting to specialize in surgery. There's nothing wrong with surgery. It's because they don't like the idea of a premed who is already dead-set on a specific specialty. They want someone who's open-minded to a lot of possible specialties when he/she hits the clinical years.

So when you reapply:

1) Don't tell them that daddy is a surgeon. It really doesn't do that much for you, and as you said, may even lead to questions about your motivation towards medicine.

2) Also, don't volunteer that you want to be a surgeon. Even if it's true, saying that at interviews is counterproductive. They don't expect you to know at this point. And sounding so certain actually hurts you and makes you look naive.

Yeah, I should have kept my mouth closed. I know they want people to be open minded, but I've also been told to never mention the word surgery ever. It's just so strange. Everyone I know going into medicine is doing it to go into some specific specialty, even if they may change their mind later on (most do). You don't drop 250k and 4 years of your life because you think you'll fit in somewhere in the diverse field of medicine. You go in with a vision of what you want to be. Take for instance, graduate school. An applicant may be interested/have former research experience in a specific pathway or cell. The grad school knows that the applicant may not dedicate his life to research on this pathway, yet it still values the applicants commitment, interest, and fascination with a small facet of what the grad school has to offer. It is like that for undergraduate education, graduate education, law school, etc, but somehow it's different for medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Just tell them what they want to hear. Have been this way in every field, every time you go on an interview whether to medical school or the corporate world, you mold yourself to their desires to get the position.

You've got it totally wrong. They're not scolding you for wanting to specialize in surgery. There's nothing wrong with surgery. It's because they don't like the idea of a premed who is already dead-set on a specific specialty. They want someone who's open-minded to a lot of possible specialties when he/she hits the clinical years.

So when you reapply:

1) Don't tell them that daddy is a surgeon. It really doesn't do that much for you, and as you said, may even lead to questions about your motivation towards medicine.

2) Also, don't volunteer that you want to be a surgeon. Even if it's true, saying that at interviews is counterproductive. They don't expect you to know at this point. And sounding so certain actually hurts you and makes you look naive.

I'm not sure I agree with your comments. I understand your thoughts, but you never know who is interviewing you, so you can't play the guessing game of what is right or not right to say. Honesty is usually the best policy, but you must also be diplomatic with your answers since you don't know who is interviewing you or their interests.

I will give an example. My son's university contacts parents who are medical professionals to interview professional school applicants in a mock interview process.

The first student I interviewed a few years ago (who DID get into medical school) made what I thought were a lot of mistakes in the interview, even though he was brilliant.

I asked him some questions and he said he did not want to practice clinical medicine, but wanted to be a researcher. MISTAKE # 1.

You never know who is interviewing you, and as a GENERAL rule, clinicians don't like researchers and researchers don't like clinicians. The interviewer could be one of those clinicians who doesn't want to give a spot to someone dead set on research. Jeez, maybe the interviewer's ex-wife was a researcher and he can't STAND researchers!!!!

The right answer would be to say "at the present time I'm leaning toward research, but I don't have enough clinical experience at this time, and realize it's much too early to make a definite decision".

The student then started telling me about this esoteric research he was performing. He then mentioned some technical terms and said to me "you know what that is, don't you"? MISTAKE # 2

This could have been disastrous in a real interview. There could have been two bad scenarios. The student, who thought he was an expert, may not have realized that the interviewer is the world's foremost expert on that topic, and as a result, the interviewer could turn the table and start asking technical questions the student couldn't answer, and in essence digging himself into a hole. The second possible bad scenario is if the interviewer knows NOTHING about the topic and is therefore left to feel stupid.

So be careful who you are trying to impress, you may get blown out of the water.

A few minutes into the interview, the student said to me, "so what's YOUR specialty?" MISTAKE # 3. I'll keep this simple......do NOT interview the interviewer. Answer questions and ask pertinent questions, but do not ask anything personal to the interviewer.

My son's friend who got in first try, wants to be a trauma surgeon and made that very clear during his interviews. However, he first gave the reasons for his decision, but did qualify his answer that's what he wants to do NOW, but may change based on his future exposure and experience.

There is no one size fits all answer, but I would always recommend honesty, without being too opinionated. Prove to them that your decision to become a doctor is well thought out and although you may presently have a preference. but you are fully aware that decision may change as your education unfolds.

Good luck.

PADPM I actually don't think our posts are that contradictory. The main gist is to not make yourself sound super certain. But if you do profess an inclination for something make sure to qualify it with an acknowledgement of your lack of current experience and a willingness to remain openminded.

Members don't see this ad :)
PADPM I actually don't think our posts are that contradictory. The main gist is to not make yourself sound super certain. But if you do profess an inclination for something make sure to qualify it with an acknowledgement of your lack of current experience and a willingness to remain openminded.

:thumbup:

OP

I would be extremely cautious about becoming a DPM. Take some time to research the pros and cons, shadow several DPMS and think about it real hard before reaching a decision.

Podiatry is an excellent field to get into, but it is very different from a DO/MD route.

I, too, am interested in the surgery aspect of podiatry. Therefore, I spoke with a lot of different podiatrists about it. They all told me the same thing. Although well qualified, it is not easy to exclusively specialize in surgery as a podiatrist. It is not impossible, but a lot of cases are swept up by orthopods. This is at least in my area....the largest ortho group in my area employs an orthopod and a podiatrist. Why not just hire two podiatrist? Well, the orthopod gets most of the surgery cases.

However, one podiatrist I shadowed started at an ortho group and broke away after 5 years. He is doing surgery 5 days a week now. It is all about establishing yourself. I guess what I'm trying to say is that its not super easy to declare yourself strictly a podiatric surgeon, but its not very difficult either.

I'm surprised you didn't get into a MD school. If I were you I would probably do research or something for a year then reapply. You would most likely get in to a few schools.

Good luck.

You have to evaluate if you would happy doing JUST the foot and ankle. Even F/A orthopods will do other joint surgery (I think) but just specialize in the foot and ankle. You also have to evaluate if you would be okay doing other procedures that aren't just surgery. Would you be okay doing wound care? Conservative care such as nail and callus debridement? Not every patient needs surgery. Although pods are just as well-trained in the foot and ankle as a F/A orthopod (if not better trained because we specialize from day 1), that does not mean that we do the same things every day as orthopods do.

Farewell NeilD!

Last edited:
OP

I'm surprised you didn't get into a MD school. If I were you I would probably do research or something for a year then reapply. You would most likely get in to a few schools.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Looks like I really need to shadow a pod and to see what it's like. I'm currently a research fellow at the National Institutes of Health....so hopefully that will strengthen my application. I just started, but so far it's great. If anyone is looking to take a year or two off before any type of graduate school I would definitely recommend the NIH.

I had similar statistics when I was in undergraduate school and know how you feel. I think the advise at this board is great but the bottom line will be what you want to do. I shadowed a great pod who practiced with an orthopedic group and he inspired to do what I'm doing today. You might or might not have a similar experience but it is worthwhile to do some research and see some things for yourself. At the end of the day you won't go wrong with whichever route you choose because you know you have the mindset to be successful as long as you are happy with your choice.

As far wishing to be in the MD ortho route, I will be honest with you and tell you that I have thought about the MD ortho route in the past because some of the ortho specialties do interest me i.e. total joints, sports medicine, etc. On the other hand, I absolutely love what I do and I am passionate about my profession. I'm very good at what I do and I love the specialty with all its avenues: Diabetic foot infections, limb salvage, elective surgeries, in-office procedures, and trauma. I want to be the best that I can be within my field so I am pursuing all of its avenues to the max via publications, research, residency, and finally fellowship training. If I was to do this all over again, without a doubt I would - but again, this is my personal experience so do some research and hope everything works out for you. Good luck.

So... not to start a flame war, but given your historical academic success, you should be able to land a good residency with (relative) ease, and then get a job as a strictly surgical pod. (Assuming you don't have any restrictions, eg geographic location of your practice/residency)

I talk to some of my med school friends about this (none of them want me to go to pod school), and they are all of the mindset that pod students are lazy/unmotivated. They are med students, and they have no evidence for this claim, but based on the entrance GPA/MCAT scores, it's probably safe to assume that pod students took a different approach to undergrad than med students took. Keeping that in mind, I think you might struggle a bit at pod school realizing you are literally in the top 1% of everyone applying, and I would caution you to be weary of allowing the notion that everyone else in school with you (and thus all your colleagues) are inferior to you. I think that is something you should think about....

I get along with my classmates just fine. The DO student...well they might hate me a little. But then again I can't blame them. If i were a DO student and a lowly, no good, pod student set the curve in each class..i would hate them too :)

Stating someone might not get along with his/ her classmates because their stats put them in the top 1% of pod admissions...really?

I don't see any point of contention here... That's a valid concern. The OP might realize that he/she could have applied again and gotten into an MD but "settled" for pod school because they tried MD once and failed. He/she might feel a little strange sitting in a room with 18's when he got a 34 himself.

If the OP wants to be a pod, I encourage it - we desperately need better applicants. But I don't want him to be upset because he feels out of their league. I've heard the MD students at Scholl look down at pod students, will the OP feel the same way once he's in (because he has solid MD stats?)? I don't think any MDs look down on pods because they work with feet, but rather because the avg MCAT is in the very low 20s. The OP might develop a similar feeling.

Have you never been placed at the "kids" table when you were 18, or put in the swim class with five year olds who cannot swim? Same idea.

He/she might feel a little strange sitting in a room with 18's when he got a 34 himself.

I've heard the MD students at Scholl look down at pod students.

Have you never been placed at the "kids" table when you were 18, or put in the swim class with five year olds who cannot swim? Same idea.

1) I don't think people walking around saying, sup, I got a 34 on my MCAT... if so, I am very very sorry for them. 1 superficial test doesn't mean anything.

2) On the contrary, I heard Scholl med students are very accepting of their pod counterparts. They go through the same courses and have similarly rough academic schedules. Of course this is from the student tour guides, but speaking with students at my tour did not give me any impression of negativity with pods vs meds.

3) Comparing a possible MD in podiatry school with an individual surrounded by 5 year olds? Very Sheldon-esque of you sir.

See in reality people don't go bragging about what they got and didn't get on the MCAT. Once you're in it really doesn't matter.

I'm sure CMS students at RFUMS look down upon the Scholl students but to be honest they aren't that great themselves and we remind them of that whenever they get out of line. CMS has a sub 30 MCAT avg and they accept a ton of students who have 25-27 MCAT scores from their 1 year masters program.

You equate MCAT scores and GPAs to success or not having success in podiatry school. I can show you students who should have never been accepted that are honors students and I can show you students who had good stats that are avg students now. We know the mantra for podiatry school "easy to get accepted, hard to graduate". Just because the OP has awesome stats doesn't mean he is going to coast through school nor is ending up being ranked number one in the class a forgone conclusion.

MCAT scores can be very easily correlated to board pass rates (and I think residency placement?) in med schools, so the same is probably true for pod schools. Are there exceptions? Sure, there always is, but the correlation exists. I never said he WOULD feel superior to his classmates or he FOR SURE would be able to pass classes with ease, but rather his stats suggest he will probably do well (smarter, good study techniques, etc). It is also wise to think about whether he will feel like an adult at a kid table, regardless of the validity. I'm just saying my med school friends already harass me about it, and I haven't even applied yet. If the OP is sensitive to this stuff, then it's something to consider. That's all I'm saying, I don't understand why you refuse to think this is a valid concern.

MCAT scores can be very easily correlated to board pass rates (and I think residency placement?) in med schools, so the same is probably true for pod schools.

I read a study a while ago where they studied correlation between MCAT and success in school. 90% sure that the conclusion pointed towards success in school was MORE based off of socioeconomic background and LESS on the MCAT score.

1) I don't think people walking around saying, sup, I got a 34 on my MCAT... if so, I am very very sorry for them. 1 superficial test doesn't mean anything.

2) On the contrary, I heard Scholl med students are very accepting of their pod counterparts. They go through the same courses and have similarly rough academic schedules. Of course this is from the student tour guides, but speaking with students at my tour did not give me any impression of negativity with pods vs meds.

3) Comparing a possible MD in podiatry school with an individual surrounded by 5 year olds? Very Sheldon-esque of you sir.

1) it doesn't matter if it's verbalized or not, but the OP will obviously know he has a 34 and the rest of his classmates were in the low 20s.

2) I mean, we both have anecdotal evidence; but I promise I didnt just make mine up, and AB even conceded on me in this point a little too. Either way, a lot of MDs look down at pods, just go to the ortho forum for proof.

3) big bang theory is an excellent show, and I wasn't saying the circumstances were the same, but rather the notion that people often feel superior to others when they are quantitatively better in some regard occurs.

1) it doesn't matter if it's verbalized or not, but the OP will obviously know he has a 34 and the rest of his classmates were in the low 20s.

2) I mean, we both have anecdotal evidence; but I promise I didnt just make mine up, and AB even conceded on me in this point a little too. Either way, a lot of MDs look down at pods, just go to the ortho forum for proof.

3) big bang theory is an excellent show, and I wasn't saying the circumstances were the same, but rather the notion that people often feel superior to others when they are quantitatively better in some regard occurs.

You completely missed my point. I believe people don't consciously think "oh, I got a 34 on my MCAT, so I'm better than you and don't want to associate myself with you." Or even subconsciously (hopefully). There will always be people who look down on you. It's part of life. If people feel superior to others, pod school isn't the problem. If they get into med school, that arrogance will still be there.

You completely missed my point. I believe people don't consciously think "oh, I got a 34 on my MCAT, so I'm better than you and don't want to associate myself with you." Or even subconsciously (hopefully). There will always be people who look down on you. It's part of life. If people feel superior to others, pod school isn't the problem. If they get into med school, that arrogance will still be there.

So, why do med students/MDs look down on pods all the time then....

Some do, some don't. Not everyone is an elitist prick.

I know, but the point is that some do. If it matters to the OP that he/she will be entering a profession where many of the DPMs are looked down upon by their ortho/MD counterparts, yet was able to be an ortho/MD himself, then this is something to consider.

For many pod students, this is a non-issue because MD/DO school is out of reach, and at the end of the day, pods are still able to do everything F/A, so it really doesn't matter. However, it might matter to someone who could have been an orthopod, but gave it up because they didn't try for admissions again...

I honestly don't understand why so many people have a problem with what I'm saying... I seriously don't get it...

Make sure it's the field that you will enjoy on a daily basis. That being said, with your stats and the assumption that you work hard and are willing to succeed, you will make a name for yourself in the field. There are many successful, well-established podiatrists out there that contribute to the growth of this field, why worrying about being a "limited podiatrist" instead of aiming yourself to become one of them? ;)

Who told you this? Who told you every Orthopod looks down upon DPMs? Are you basing reality off the SDN ortho boards? Sounds like it to me. Then you come on these boards and spread misinformation like you "know" how the real world of medicine works. That's my problem with your posts. Here's a research topic for you...why don't you look into how many orthos are involved with DPM surgical training. I bet you will find a good amount. Why do they assist in training us if they hate us so much?

You again equate MCAT and GPAs with what a student can or can't accomplish. Who the hell says this student is going to match ortho? Last time I checked ortho is really competitive to match into.

Uh... if you are suggesting pods don't have the "not real doctor" stigma.... then.... okay?

I'm not equating the two, just suggesting there is a correlation. Exceptions exist, the OP might turn to a life of heroine and drop out of pod school after day 1, even though he had the best stats - you're right. I'm not arguing that, but GPA and MCAT scores are good predictors of board pass rates (why would they use them if they weren't...?).

Also, I try to be very careful when I type to not say things like "every" or "all" or "by all accounts." But rather use statistics and general trends to form opinions. So, I've never said ALL orthopods look down on ALL DPMs, but certainly it happens...

Also, if I don't have conviction in my own opinions, who will believe them? And why would I believe my own opinions if I didn't think they were right?

Uh... if you are suggesting pods don't have the "not real doctor" stigma.... then.... okay?

From my limited experience, most of the "real doctor" stigma comes from within our own profession (an inferiority complex) rather than from outside the profession (more of a superiority complex).

If Ortho's seem to be more condescending/negative towards podiatrists...well, of course. As a pod you are taking their potential patients. Watch any Apple or Microsoft keynote presentation. They don't speak real highly of each other because they are competing for customers. It's capitalism, and even though in healthcare you'd think EVERYONE just wants to do what's best for the patient, that isn't always the case. Dr.'s livelihoods are on the line with the ortho v DPM thing, so it should make sense that both sides are going to tout superior training and patient care...right?

Of course we have that stigma and I never said that didn't exist. You claimed that majority of orthopods doubt our legitimacy and that's false.

This was deep...

You are not a practicing podiatrist. You are not even a student! Spreading misinformation about what potential applicants should expect from podiatry school or the podiatric medical profession is crazy.

I didn't say the majority doubt legitimacy, but rather some look down on. You keep telling me I said all this stuff that I never did...

And... I don't know why you are so concerned with me giving opinions that you still have yet to successfully refute... My status is "pre-pod" and everyone can see that. If people on these boards don't want to take my advice seriously, no big deal. You are determined to make fun of me and try to make me look incredulous, but I don't think it's working. I enjoy coming on SDN, and I don't know why you are so insistent on putting me down.

Also, I haven't purposefully spread any misinformation without admitting I was wrong on this site. I've challenged you every time you say these things, and every time you either stop posting on the thread of resort to calling me crazy or other non-productive arguments.

For one more time, just because I'm not in pod school doesn't mean My opinion is worthless. I read podiatry today, and APMA News, I read these forums regularly, I've read the pod admission book, participated in a pod school summer preview, read every word on every pod school site (if not, then close), have had email correspondence with an admission counselor from every school (except temple), and this is all just for pod stuff. I can tell you loads of stuff for med school and dental school admissions too (check out my user name!!). What I'm trying to say is that I spend an immense amount of time researching these things and for you to tell me that I don't know how admissions works because I'm not a student is ludicrous. Some pod students didn't apply until May.... Do you think those people have a great grasp on how the system works?!?

I've challenged you right back and you still dance around my comments. I've admitted when I was wrong but you have yet to admit that you don't know what's going on. It goes both ways. I'm glad you read and think you know everything there is know within the profession. I knight you SDN pod admissions expert. The pre-pod forum is yours. I'm out.

So THAT is what comes after "pod-whisperer"!! Nice!

MaxillofacialMN...

2 years of actual professional school > internet research. no matter how many websites you've visited.

How about Those Heats aye....................................

Do not apply to podiatric training school if your first intention was to become a physician.

Chiropody helped people and is, was greatly satisfying. Now, modern podiatry is a rudderless ship--are we quasi mini orthopods, foot and sometimes ankle surgeons, are we providers, non-physicians, ancillary, service providers. Me toos, I said so, and just likes, are not the way to go. DPMs are still in the same sentence as PTs, OTs, DCs, and optos. Embarassing. 2012.

Moreover, the admission criteria is woefully low to podiatry training schools. Tuition driven and they need loans dollars to stay afloat. Rather than significantly increase the standards, they will remain accepting folks that are marginal or continue with ~80% acceptance rates--does not sound like a competitive process esp for "grad school."

America is in a great state of flux, the us economy is in serious trouble. GPs, PCPs including NPs, PAs, RNs, will be doing podiatry work Like it or not. The rest of the world does qfine without pediatric physicians. NPs can practice independently now thanks to the NP Modernization Act. DPMs are still an enigmatic entity, with no USMLEs, no required surgical internship governed by the ACGME, nor ABSITE exams during training. ABMS speciality. No. So, podiatry is in a grey area.

NPs, PAs, RNs can be cheaper, and more cost efficient and have greater scope that the foot and sometimes ankle pod specialist with no universal scope in all 50 states at this time 2012.

NPs, PAs, RNs, have also been doing wound care for ages--now that there is a buck to be made, there are DPs becoming "wound salvation" limb salvaging "experts". We latch onto diabetes, but cannot treat its etiology because that's practicing medicine. So are we whittler, revolving door surgeons, wound care nurses, foot dentists, what are we --especially with ACA? Without diabetes-what would happend to DPs, and with expensive oftentimes uneccessary diabetic "salvation" and wound/foot coding ad nauseum--when will Medicare and insurance agencies catch on to perhaps overzealous, non outcomes based medicine--which is severely lacking in podiatry by some opportunists who see diabetes as an "opportunity" ($$$$).

If your stats are real/legit earned from a name brand uni, go for MD. (DO is in neverland too). or become a CRNA, NP, PA. They will be in great demand with real employable skills, real job offers with real benies, and security.

To get 250K+ non dischargable american student loan debt is a disgrace if one cannot pay it back, or it signicantly impedes your earning years.

Thank you.

Last edited:
If people just stop replying to his posts he will eventually get bored and go away.

Trolls must feed.

:troll:

Respect the chiropodists and their achivements--they were truly the pioneers and met a need with podiatry services.

However, can you say, that a DPM that does not complete LCME medical school, nor a surgical internship governed by the ACGME (putting in lines, intubations, code team,etc..), (doing a 4 week rotation in gen surg is NOT an internship) does not take the USMLEs, nor is boarded by the ABMS, is a an equal--and if so why are there such restrictive state regs governing podiatrists and different scopes in all 50 states, that's very odd. Do dentists have 50 different scopes--molars in one state, incisors in another.

Or non-ABMS boards whereby some DPMs are boarded in forefoot, others in rearfoot/ankle--what AMBS speciality divides an anatomic body part up into sections? are you a certified pathologist of the eye, or the hand? or is this another podiatric profit centre? Moreover, the foot is not a bunch of osseous and soft tissues at the end of an extremtiy. Hand surgeons must complete a surgical internship. Why not foot and sometimes ankle surgeons?

We need exactly the same training for pediatric physicians, not similar toos, or just alikes, or promises that do not materialize. That is a loser's game. How about vastly improving admission standards, test scores, undergrads folks have actually heard of. Or pediatric training schools amalgamating with known universities-Case Western, Cornell, Stanford, etc...not community colleges, or schools in neverland.

It seems that a DPM is a DPM is a DPM; regardless of years of post grad training, or where one trained at--either at band-aid box community central, or a major academic teaching hospital--all lumped together as service providers.

We cannot treat the disease of diabetes (that's practicing medicine), nor can we pop a pimple on the ankle in some states without getting into trouble. NPs, PAs, RNs, even DCs, have greater scope than us. Physicians.? Why so restrictive if we are 'physicians'? The state regs read like a bunch of cants.

If we are 'physicians' why so tightly regulated--cannot sell an orthotic for lower back pain, but a shoe salesman can??

When's the last time you read an article by a DPM in JAMA, NEJM, annals, archives? when? Lay literature: Men's health mag---DCs, MFAs, PhDs, MDs, but no podiatrist.

Any basic science research labs doing immunology work with diabetic foot wounds led by a DPM since limb salvation/wound care is the current thing for DPs. Immunology is vastly impt with regard to non healing/infections.

the AMA and the state AOAs do not care for us, and would rather us just fade away into that goodnight. They classify DPMs with DCs, optos, and midwifery? A dentist sits on the AMA board, where's the DPM? Military-DDS/DMDs are with the medical corps, DPs are with OTs, audilogists, and PTs medical service. --lower pay, less respect.

some achivements have been made in fly over states, or at community hospitals in more rural areas, but to say that folks are rioting in the streets for podiatry services or that every hospital, ortho group needs a DPM (limited license, non physician, non medical school grad) to do all that foot and sometimes ankle sx is incongruent with reasonable logic and state laws.

Pediatric.

That is all.

"Navy Podiatrists are a foundational part of the medical team dedicated to maintaining the operational readiness of our fighting and humanitarian forces – and helping them heal after they return home."

"As a Podiatrist and Officer in the Navy Medical Service Corps, you will:

• Examine and diagnose patients with ailments of the foot, ankle and related structures
  • Provide a full scope of treatment services, ranging from conservative care to invasive surgery
  • Work with amputees, in both military and humanitarian settings, to improve the hemodynamics critical to a higher quality of life"
"Here, you will join a distinguished, professional medical team, often partnered with an orthopedic clinic. Find early opportunities to develop leadership skills. Enjoy a manageable workload, maybe even make your own schedule, and get guaranteed vacations and other generous benefits."

"You'll partner with first-rate health-care providers such as orthopedic surgeons and physical therapists, and have the opportunity to use your direct-access skills and practice as a critical part of a multidisciplinary team."

All statements from the Navy's website on Podiatry. Not too sure that I agree that Pods are less respected than any other Doc joining with the rank of major or the like. Besides, partnering with Orthopedics, which last time I checked needed a M.D or D.O, seems to me like a level playing field. The states may have things messed up, but the Military sees the importance and necessity of Podiatrists, and as such I will be going to serve when I graduate. (disclaimer: I yet have to gain acceptance and go to school, but hey this is a pre-pod forum)

Mods really need to crack down on these trolls with multiple accounts