DPT and Married Life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diegito

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering. I hear that many people start DPT while being married or get married as students. How did you guys earned or gained money to live or support the family?

Members don't see this ad.

I had already been married a couple years when I started PT school; we were both a few years out of undergrad and working full-time professional jobs. His salary supported us while I was in school, but I also chose to maintain part-time work through most of the program.

Reactions: 1 user
If one spouse can work and even just cover living expenses, it's a huge reduction in student loans. So I think it's a big advantage to have a spouse and/or significant other in the picture!

I would say that's the setup for me and the majority of my married classmates. There are maybe 2 couples who are dual students so really they are more similar to "roommates" financially and live off of both school loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
(I work part time as well tutoring and teaching exercise classes. That's our fun money).

I'm a current first year student and I came into the program with a husband and two year old. My husband is able to work from home so our son is only in daycare part time, but 3 people living off of one income and paying for daycare is tight. We had to buy a car and some new house appliances over the first few months of school so we have definitely been dipping into student loan funds to make ends meet. Hopefully over the next few years we won't have as many large expenses and we'll be able to cut back on the amount of loans we take out. But basically, if you can have your spouse working (and covering the majority of your living expenses) and just one set of student loans you could end up better off than a lot of your classmates. With anyone taking on a significant amount of debt I feel like the biggest factor in any situation is simply being very good about budgeting.

I'll be married starting PT school and wouldn't have it any other way! When kids eventually come into the picture I'm sure that will make things trickier...but I don't see why being married while in PT school would have any real disadvantages.

From people in my program, the only real downside is that spousal quality time is greatly diminished for a few years. Unlike couples with normals jobs, where home is the "off time" where you can pay attention to your spouse/kids, DPT students need a lot of that time to study. Some people said this is a hard adjustment for their spouse at first but all I have talked to have gotten past it.

As for money, having a spouse can help greatly defray costs if they can work. Otherwise, as someone noted, part-time jobs can help. Just make sure it is nothing that detracts from your schooling.

I'm starting PT school in august and am coming up on 5 years of marriage. My husband is finishing his masters up, so we'll be living separately for at least the first year of school. I'm predicting some positives from this arrangement such as being able to completely focus on school, but of course there will be a lot of negatives too. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one thinking about this kind of thing :)

I'm actually getting married a few weeks before I start PT school. I'm looking forward to having a supportive husband while in school. He's used to me needing to study because I'm in undergrad now and only see him a day or two a week. We'll be living off his salary while I'm in school, so I'll only be taking out loans for tuition (about 5k a semester). April and May will be stressful (getting married 4/25, taking finals, graduating 5/9, honeymoon 5/10-5/16, then starting PT school 5/18), but I'm glad to be getting married before versus planning a wedding during PT school!

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a reason why to get married before PT school? Tax break? Better loans? Religious/living together reasons?

Because of love.

But why not after PT school? Wouldn't that be a test to their relationship if they can handle the time apart. I only ask because a friend and I had a discussion about this. We couldn't understand what was the big rush.

But why not after PT school? Wouldn't that be a test to their relationship if they can handle the time apart. I only ask because a friend and I had a discussion about this. We couldn't understand what was the big rush.

I was totally pulling your leg, haha. But do keep in mind that not everyone that goes to PT school attends immediately after finishing their undergrad. In other words, there are those who have life experience and have been in serious relationships way before PT school was decided upon. Marriage is a serious decision and shouldn't be looked upon as what benefits can be obtained with the status. Your partner is your best friend, what difference would it make if a couple decides to marry before or after school? There are pros and cons to both, but that's up to the couple to decide.

Reactions: 4 users
I was totally pulling your leg, haha. But do keep in mind that not everyone that goes to PT school attends immediately after finishing their undergrad. In other words, there are those who have life experience and have been in serious relationships way before PT school was decided upon. Marriage is a serious decision and shouldn't be looked upon as what benefits can be obtained with the status. Your partner is your best friend, what difference would it make if a couple decides to marry before or after school? There are pros and cons to both, but that's up to the couple to decide.

Now that's a good answer!!! Thanks for the clarity!!! I thought I was missing out and the married couples found a loop hole

Is there a reason why to get married before PT school? Tax break? Better loans? Religious/living together reasons?

Agree with Azi. The decision to get married for me was not about what "benefits" I would obtain economically from it, nor was it really made in the context of going to PT school.

I'm a non-trad student starting a DPT program in May, and I'll celebrate 12 years of marriage in July. As long as your spouse supports you and you make them fully aware of the time commitment, all should be well.

Remember we're not talking about a kid. A spouse (in most cases) is a fully functioning adult who can work a job while you go to school. That's income coming in that most of your single class mates won't have. Financially speaking, going to PT school married is an advantage, not a disadvantage. Also, in my personal opinion, starting a life together with your love shouldn't be put on the back burner for money or for school. They are supposed to be more important than either of those things.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users