DPT applying for MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dptmd13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been a practicing physical therapist for 3 years and graduated with a Doctorate in Physical Therapy degree. I have been published in PT journals and presented a poster at a fellowship conference. Following graduation, I completed an orthopedic PT residency, which allowed me to spend a year with many different types of physicians. I have since decided to pursue a career in Medicine.

I did not do as well on my MCAT as I would have liked, I am wondering how heavily this weighs on my application???

MCAT: 19
Graduate GPA: 3.7 (PT school)
Undergrad Science GPA: 3.6
CV: Tons of leadership as a supervising PT to multiple PT Assistants, setting up an outpatient clinic, and taught at a DPT school.

Any insight from others in a similar circumstance is welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been a practicing physical therapist for 3 years and graduated with a Doctorate in Physical Therapy degree. I have been published in PT journals and presented a poster at a fellowship conference. Following graduation, I completed an orthopedic PT residency, which allowed me to spend a year with many different types of physicians. I have since decided to pursue a career in Medicine.

I did not do as well on my MCAT as I would have liked, I am wondering how heavily this weighs on my application???

CV: Tons of leadership as a supervising PT to multiple PT Assistants, setting up an outpatient clinic, and taught at a DPT school.

MCAT is very low. No chance at all at MD/DO. Retake the MCAT and aim for at least 25 for DO and 28 for MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to have to agree that the MCAT score is far too low. How did you prepare?
Thanks for the feedback. Definetly figured the MCAT may be too low. My preparation consisted of using TBR for 5 weeks while working part time. Took 6 practice exams. I would study approx 4-5 hrs a day. It was tough reviewing the basic sciences after not seeing them for 6-7 years. The plan is to take 3mo in the spring to continue to study and take it again..

People often take the MCAT several (max 3) times. The only chance you probably have is an off-shore med school with your MCAT. Some schools have a minimum of around a 24 MCAT score.

Just retake the MCAT, assuming you're shooting for next cycle then just start studying for the MCAT from here on out until spring.

With your GPA, you should be fine (assuming your cGPA is 3.3+) for an allopathic school and a shoe in for DO if you pull a 25+.