DPT in Air Force

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurfDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with COT for PTs and if it was difficult to get in or was a breeze. I will be graduating in May 2011 and plan to enter the Air Force as a medical officer ASAP. If anyone can help, please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with COT for PTs and if it was difficult to get in or was a breeze. I will be graduating in May 2011 and plan to enter the Air Force as a medical officer ASAP. If anyone can help, please let me know.

Can i ask why you'd join the military? I was in the Army for 3 years before I started school and thought about the Baylor-US Army DPT program but wouldn't want to spend any more time in that environment. The good thing about PT in the military is true autonomy in practice and greater influence over a pt's plan of care.

I don't know how "ASAP" it will be. I belive they require licensure for one year before you can apply. I guess they don't want to teach you the job. After that, you have to wait for an OCS date, security clearance, and anything else required.

I have 14 years enilisted (8 active, 6 reserves) and looked into this, it would take me 3 years to become an officer, then I would have to spend 10 years as an officer before I retire so I decided to stay enlisted and only do another 6 before I retire.

Just remember, once you get high ranking, you won't be doing PT anymore. I know a PT in the AF that it a Lt. Colonel and he is the director of surgery doing administrative stuff.

The good part about the AF is that you do have a little more freedom in what you can do since you are not governed by any state. Some branches can prescribe drugs even though it's probably only Motrin (or "Vitamin M" as we call it), order x-rays, and more. Benefits are second to none but so are the hazards. If I were a little younger, I would have more seriously considered AF.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish for me and my wife to experience the world some and give back to the country. I was just wondering on how their needs for the year affect my chances of coming in as PT right away or not. If they met their quota will I be put on wait list, still practice as PT, or not go to COT at all.

You need to check the US Army-Baylor website. Through them you will enter the branch of your choice as an officer and you will be paid while you go to school as well as pay no tuition or book fees. You will have to serve a term of military service in exchange.

I will be a licensed PT with a doctorate prior to joining, I don't need to go to school while in the Air Force. I was just curious on how the process works and if I would be working as a PT right away.

Well, I've been lurking for long enough I may as well reply. Plus this might be the only question that I might actually be able to answer.

I'm currently an active duty Air Force officer preparing to cross-train into physical therapy. There are two ways (at least that I know of) that the Air Force gets its military PTs. They also hire civilian PTs as well but that's a different story. The first is through the Army-Baylor program. The Air Force portion, however, is only open to current Air Force personnel. There are 2-3 slots open per year. But the Baylor program is open to civillians if you are looking to commission in the Army or Navy after you're done. Check out their official website for more info.

The other avenue that the AF gets its PTs are what I would call direct accessions. There is a certain quota each year for how ever many AF PTs they take in. I've been told that if you don't get in one year, keep trying because there are only so many slots allocations each year. This avenue is for those who are already licensed and wish to serve in the military. Basically you will work through a recrutier and if you are selected, you will get your commission and go through COT. COT is 5 weeks and basically a "baby" boot-camp where you will be exposed to different aspects of the military. Very easy-going, not what you envision as boot camp. COT is reserved for those coming in the AF as direct accession for lawyers, doctors, and other health services. Check out http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/OTS/COT-RCOT/index.asp for more info on that.

Feel free to pm me if you want more info or contact infomartion.

P.S. regarding the issue with rank and practicing PT versus doing admin work. Generally, within the military as you move up in rank you will be doing more admin work. That's just how it is. However, as an AF PT (dont' know about other branches) you have a little more options than say a line officer. You can continue to practice if you choose to, however, there are may be consequences to that in terms of promotions.

I've done extensive research on this topic so I'll throw in my information. First, the new fiscal year starts in October. This is when the new quotas come out and packages can be sent in. Last year they accepted 14 PTs. I don't believe this includes the few from Baylor. Second, new grads that are accepted have up to one year from finishing COT to pass their licensure exam. This comes directly from a AF health professions recruiter. This puts you at a disadvantage though because you'll have to have all your notes co-signed.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

just wanted to confirm that there are only 2 air force slots at army baylor - and they go to active duty AF

army gets 20 (and you dont have to be active to get a slot - though it does help)

Did you end up going to COT, and becoming a AF PT? I am thinking about doing the same thing after I graduate. I just wanted to know what your experiences were.

I'm curious about this too... Could anyone maybe post a rough estimate of salary of an AF PT?
You will end up going to COT, it's inevitable if you're doing PA, MSC, Nurse, Doc, etc. But it's cake for providers. And for pay, check this out:
http://www.airforcetimes.com/money/pay_charts/
If you're not finished with prereqs and are wanting to go ASAP, maybe check out the Army slots also.

This is some interesting information!

Very interesting information! This is something I was considering as well, after speaking with the Air Force at a career fair at my school.

Does anybody that commented on this post previously have any more info on the Air Force PT now, or anyone for that matter? I am graduating this May and have been looking into the military, esp the AF. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, Thank you