Dpt or mpt???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

Julzgee

SO I was accepted to a DPT program (University of Maryland- Baltimore) and a MPT program (Western Carolina University in North Carolina). I am having trouble deciding and could use some input.

The MPT is appealing because it is only 2 Years! Then I would be done with school, the 26 weeks of clinicals are also mixed in those 2 years. Also the entire program cost the same as just one year at Maryland.

The DPT program at Maryland is ranked #15 in the nation and I was very much impressed with the program as a whole. Plus it is downtown Baltimore whereas Western Carolina is pretty much in the middle of nowhere although the area is very pretty.

Anyways a little stressed about making this decision.
Let me know what you think...

-J

Members don't see this ad.

IMO go for the MPT. You'll save money and time. Plus right now there's no salary difference between a MPT and a DPT. In the end, what matters is that you pass you licensure exam.
However, you should go where you can see yourself. Have you talked to students and alumni from those programs? What about the faculty from those programs?

Since the APTA and the field of PT is going DPT by 2020, it might be more beneficial to go right into the DPT program (otherwise you'd have to pay more money to go back for more schooling to get the tDPT in the future anyways) Might as well get it done now. Also, if you were impressed with the program, then why turn it down? I understand the issue of cost, but I wouldn't sacrifice the value of a good education at a well respected school just to be done sooner (not that the other program is bad, just don't know much about it). Just my opinion. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pay for the DPT now or pay for it later. Might as well get it out of the way. The cost of school is only going to increase, so if you get your tDPT later on it might come out to be the same price as getting it now.

From my perspective, this is a no-brainer - go to Western Carolina. Having had the chance to pay off seizable graduate school loans, looking back I really wish I would have attended a cheaper school.

IMO go for the MPT. You'll save money and time. Plus right now there's no salary difference between a MPT and a DPT. In the end, what matters is that you pass you licensure exam.

Exactly.

otherwise you'd have to pay more money to go back for more schooling to get the tDPT in the future anyways

I disagree. There is absolutely no indication that the DPT will be a necessity at any time in the future. So, you would not have to get a tDPT. Also, since the vast majority of current practicing PTs are not DPTs, a large number of employers offer a good bit of financial assistance in obtaining your transitional DPT. This option would allow you to get out of school with much less debt, begin earning a PT salary sooner and then still get a DPT, having your employer pay for most or all of the tDPT cost.

And if you are worrying about finding a job as a MPT - don't. As a manager of a PT clinic, I can assure you that your potential employer cares far more about finding a PT that is a good fit for his clinic than he or she does about finding someone with a DPT rather than an MPT or BSPT.

I definitely echo jesspt. Financially, it is far better to attend the 2 year mpt program even if you don't necessarily like the location. Plus, you'll have a year's clinical experience under your belt already by the time your counterparts graduate from a dpt program.

Don't sweat the dpt. If that's something that you do want then most employers will pay a certain amount for CE, especially hospitals. Some hospitals will fork over a lot of change for CE per semester/year.

When I said you "have to" in my original post I was stating this under the assumption that he or she wants to get a DPT in the future. You mentioned ranking of the school, so I assumed you find that important. I understand that there is no requirement for it to practice and to obatain your license, so go the cheapest route possible if you have no desire for it. I am also familiar with CE and some employers paying for additional education.

If I were in your situation and both schools were local to me, I would go with the MPT. Who doesn't want to save money? It is just that the only MPT program I got into was far and required me to move. It was 2.5-3 years, which is the same amount of time as a DPT and it just didn't seem worth it to me.

I did all the calculations in my situation and it would come out to be the same if I got my DPT locally. I end up only saving a few thousand, but is that worth all my trouble moving and paying to live there. Flying back and forth to go home and all that jazz. I would advise you to look at everything before you make a decision. Cost is a big issue, but there are other factors that play into such a big decision.

Julzgee, what was your final decision regarding the master's vs. doctorate program. I am in the process of applying to Western Carolina for the MPT and am currently wavering between the pros/cons of attending a two year program versus 3 year. thanks!

Go for the DPT. I know it sucks because it's longer and more expensive but in the long run it will be better for you to have it. You're gonna be competing for jobs with other new grads that have the DPT. You want to level the playing field and not start out already behind the game. Also, there is no official ranking system for PT schools in this country. Some claim there is but if there is something out there it's a fallicy because not every school participates.

Thanks for the advice. I do fully intend to pursue my DPT! However, I'm trying to evaluate all my possible routes to getting there. The master's program at WCU is a fraction of the cost of all the DPT programs I'm applying to. Also, given that I'm 27 (career changer), I'm anxious to complete the program as soon as feasibly possible. If I could do the masters in 2 years, and then apply to a transitional doctorate program, would this be a better decision when evaluating cost and time-committment? This route would put be in the workforce faster, and have the potential of employer contribuiton for continuing education. I just don't know if having my master's is going to put me at a disadvantage when applying to jobs.

I'll also add that I've heard there's a good chance that eventually the PTs that don't have the DPT will eventually get grandfathered in to it. I guess this assumption is based on other health professions' trends that made the doctorate transition. I've personally heard a couple PTs state this and have voiced their reason for not pursing a transitional DPT program.

It's unfortunate if whomever decides these types of things does decide to do this. In my opinion, it would completely negate any credibility the clinical doctorate would have. The result would simply be a more expensive education with little change in clinical outcomes. I certainly hope that these individuals making these decisions takes this into account. It would be unjust in my opinion to those PTs that did stand behind the APTA vision and pursue the doctorate. I don't know if the APTA will decide to grandfather in the clinical doctorate or not. It certainly seems like it is a possibility.

You're gonna be competing for jobs with other new grads that have the DPT. You want to level the playing field and not start out already behind the game.

In my opinion, I disagree and think that this the wrong reason to pursue a DPT. I think that not having a DPT will not make you any less desirable when you are applying for jobs. Actually, I have been told at my previous job as an aide, that the boss when examining two similar job applicants (one DPT, the other MPT) would think that the DPT wants a higher starting salary and be almost a disadvantage.

Also, MPTs will not be "behind the game" strictly because they have a Masters Degree; they will be on the same playing field as licensed physical therapists. Those "behind the game" will be physical therapists that did not take advanatge of all possibilities during school, clinicals, and everytime in between.

The DPT title itself is beginning to associate itself with "better". But, it's ultimately what you take from the school and experiences that determines your proficiency as a physical therapist. Given that on average most DPT schools have better facilities, longer program times, and are privately funded seems to me the correct reasoning for thinking that pursuing a DPT would give you the most opportunities to become a better physical therapist.

I know my point wasn't stated very eloquently, but it's what I believe and I feel that advanaced certifications and con-ed are exponentially more valuable than the letter that gets in the way of your most important title: Physical Therapist.

In my opinion, I disagree and think that this the wrong reason to pursue a DPT. I think that not having a DPT will not make you any less desirable when you are applying for jobs. Actually, I have been told at my previous job as an aide, that the boss when examining two similar job applicants (one DPT, the other MPT) would think that the DPT wants a higher starting salary and be almost a disadvantage.

Also, MPTs will not be "behind the game" strictly because they have a Masters Degree; they will be on the same playing field as licensed physical therapists. Those "behind the game" will be physical therapists that did not take advanatge of all possibilities during school, clinicals, and everytime in between.

The DPT title itself is beginning to associate itself with "better". But, it's ultimately what you take from the school and experiences that determines your proficiency as a physical therapist. Given that on average most DPT schools have better facilities, longer program times, and are privately funded seems to me the correct reasoning for thinking that pursuing a DPT would give you the most opportunities to become a better physical therapist.

I know my point wasn't stated very eloquently, but it's what I believe and I feel that advanaced certifications and con-ed are exponentially more valuable than the letter that gets in the way of your most important title: Physical Therapist.

So, are you a MPT? Just curious, because a MPT with years of clinical experience can definitely be a good clinician. What I'm saying is that going for the DPT will put him/her ahead of MPTs when he/she becomes an entry-level clinician. I don't think it's fair to say that, on average, a MPT with two years of schooling, will be as good of an entry-level clinician as a DPT with three years, which will include more time in clinical rotations. I see your point but I guess agree to disagree. I may be a little biased but an extra year to learn in the classroom and clinic before being out on your own is a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
SO I was accepted to a DPT program (University of Maryland- Baltimore) and a MPT program (Western Carolina University in North Carolina). I am having trouble deciding and could use some input.

The MPT is appealing because it is only 2 Years! Then I would be done with school, the 26 weeks of clinicals are also mixed in those 2 years. Also the entire program cost the same as just one year at Maryland.

The DPT program at Maryland is ranked #15 in the nation and I was very much impressed with the program as a whole. Plus it is downtown Baltimore whereas Western Carolina is pretty much in the middle of nowhere although the area is very pretty.

Anyways a little stressed about making this decision.
Let me know what you think...

-J

what school did you end up choosing? Jw

From my perspective, this is a no-brainer - go to Western Carolina. Having had the chance to pay off seizable graduate school loans, looking back I really wish I would have attended a cheaper school.

Exactly.

I disagree. There is absolutely no indication that the DPT will be a necessity at any time in the future. So, you would not have to get a tDPT. Also, since the vast majority of current practicing PTs are not DPTs, a large number of employers offer a good bit of financial assistance in obtaining your transitional DPT. This option would allow you to get out of school with much less debt, begin earning a PT salary sooner and then still get a DPT, having your employer pay for most or all of the tDPT cost.

And if you are worrying about finding a job as a MPT - don't. As a manager of a PT clinic, I can assure you that your potential employer cares far more about finding a PT that is a good fit for his clinic than he or she does about finding someone with a DPT rather than an MPT or BSPT.
Actually, you DO have to have your DPT by 2020 in order to practice (APTA)

If you are super concerned with the DPT, check out the t-DPT programs. A.T. Still in AZ and Rocky Mountain Univeristy in CO are two programs that offer the t-DPT, can be completed predominantly online (with a week about once a semester where you come in to do labs), and are ~10,000 or less. You could easily complete one of these degrees while working.

Actually, you DO have to have your DPT by 2020 in order to practice (APTA)

I don't think this is accurate, but can you provide the link to the APTA that says this?

I found an online Q&A chat session with former Senior Vice President of Education at APTA, Joe Black. He states in regards to Vision 2020 that, "Your right to practice is assured by licensure." He does mention that there could be a possibility of this changing in the future, but that doesn't mean you need to have a DPT by 2020 in order to practice.

http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm...NTENTID=41497&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm

I believe the thought process is that BsPTs and MsPTs will eventually be grandfathered into the DPT. Considering what has been stated by JessPT et al., just go for the MPT and wait for it.

BsPTs and MsPTs won't be grandfathered in, they will still have their respective title.

BsPTs and MsPTs won't be grandfathered in, they will still have their respective title.

I would assume that this will be true. When the Master's degree became the dominant degree, those practicing therapists with bachelor's degrees were not "grandfathered" into a degree they did not actually obtain. I'm not sure why this precedent would change with the DPT.

WCU is roughly about $45K for the two years. I can't believe UMD is about that for one year, that's crazy! Even though if you're out of state, UF is about $28K a year. Which comes out to be around $84K for the program. Yikes!

I'm going to UF and will be paying roughly $57K for the three years (in-state). Then you have to add in living expenses which will prob be an additional $10K (because of the extra year) so the difference will be about $22K when accounting for tuition and living expenses. Too bad I didn't apply to WCU... I don't mind being in a rural area either. There are mountains and lots of parks up there I would imagine; sounds like fun!