DPT Program Rankings & What 2 Look For?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhatiaa1

Pre-PT Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if you know of a link/updated list that have DPT Program Rankings.

This is the only one I know of: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...schools/top-physical-therapy-schools/rankings

What do you look for in a PT school? Do majority of the students in this forum decide on a program based on the location of the school?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I would consider the rankings as a part of my decision, but only a small part. There seems to be some fluidity in the ranking of DPT programs and where a program is currently ranked may not be where it is ranked once you matriculate through the program. Factors such as the following should also factor into the decision:
-Curriculum
-Faculty
-Research
-Clinical Education/Placements
-Costs
-NPTE Pass Rate/First Time Pass Rate

And if you consider all of the aforementioned and you still have trouble deciding, then you have to go with the program that you believe "just fits" or "feels right" with what you want as a future DPT!

Are you interested in completing some type of capstone research project or would you rather complete a few smaller research/review papers?
Do they offer a wide range of clinical education sites with specific places that you would be very interested in working, and how much time will be spent in clinical education?
How much time is spent sitting in a classroom listening to lectures vs practical time working in labs, doing hands on learning, and completing group presentations?
What is the average class composition, size and M:F ratio...A well balanced and mature class might be the most important factor IMO...
What type of funding is available?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you look for in a PT school? Do majority of the students in this forum decide on a program based on the location of the school?

This topic is slowly being talked to death. Here's a good forum to look into.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=779394

Ultimately, it's going to come down to YOU and what YOU want. Also, from most people I've talked to, rankings mean nothing. What matters more is NPTE pass rates, APTA accredition, etc, as no schools actively participate in that ranking system.

I'd focus more on schools that won't put me in debt for the next 40 years.