DPT vs MD/DO vs PA vs DPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmd13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm currently a senior pre-med student but I'm thinking of changing to pre-PT... I've struggled choosing which health profession to go into, and as a result I still haven't applied to any schools. I know that applications are still open for 2013 for some PT schools and I'm leaning towards PT so this is why I think I'm gonna switch...

I have a 3.7 gpa as a Bio major so I'm not super worried about my academics... but I have zero PT hours... any suggestions on what I should do to get my hours done as quickly as possible or where I should apply?

Or would ya'll suggest just taking a gap year and going the MD/DO route or PA? What about DPM? Do any of you regret going into physical therapy? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You should shadow all of these professions. Contact your local hospital or clinics, they are bound to have a system for shadowing or volunteering.

Hey guys,

So I'm currently a senior pre-med student but I'm thinking of changing to pre-PT... I've struggled choosing which health profession to go into, and as a result I still haven't applied to any schools. I know that applications are still open for 2013 for some PT schools and I'm leaning towards PT so this is why I think I'm gonna switch...

I have a 3.7 gpa as a Bio major so I'm not super worried about my academics... but I have zero PT hours... any suggestions on what I should do to get my hours done as quickly as possible or where I should apply?

Or would ya'll suggest just taking a gap year and going the MD/DO route or PA? What about DPM? Do any of you regret going into physical therapy? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

I agree with above poster when they suggested to shadow all of these professions to make the best decision for yourself. You essentially need to decide between medicine, rehabilitation, and what kind of lifestyle you want. With that being said, I'm a current DPT student that wouldn't mind switching over to PA. The schooling is a year shorter, higher salary, and I believe PA has a more appealing, and perhaps wider, scope of practice.

School is quite expensive nowadays so make sure that you're fully invested in whatever you end up choosing. I'm considering leaving after this semester and it makes things much more difficult after starting a program, moving to a new area, and signing a lease. Best of luck to you and PM me if you have any questions about either profession.

I would agree that you really can't make a valid decision without shadowing each profession. I always wanted to be a dentist and was accepted at dental school. I was advised to spend time with other professions. I thought I'd shoot myself after one hour in the dental office. I played division 1 soccer and had an injury that alluded a diagnosis by several docs. Finally a DPM figured it out and I asked to shadow him and the rest is history.