DPT vs. MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sean2929

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems as if you're afraid of failure, in terms of the MD. Go for what you want and don't be afraid of "not making it." In reference to how you live your life as a doctor, scientist, etc.. don't listen to other people's opinions. You'll live your life how you want it. They'll live their lives how they want it. There is no reason you have to be an overworked, stressed, unhappy doctor. Unless you want to make millions, which is sounds like you don't. GO FOR IT! :)

sean2929 said:
Hi, I just graduated from UC Berkeley with a double major in Integrative and Biology and Psychology with a 3.97 GPA, with all my prerequisites complete besides biochemistry. I am an older student (26). I have not taken the MCAT yet, but I wasn’t sure if I should. If I did start med school I would not be able to apply until fall ’08 school year. I volunteer at a crisis line, was involved in a student health promotion program, and volunteered at a hospital, but I feel like I might not have enough clinical experience to highlight in my personal statement. I was a foster child, so I had to take many remedial classes and work as well. Therefore, I feel like my eight years of undergraduate work could be seen as a big weakness.

I thought it might be an uphill battle, so I am considering doing something with decent pay (avg. $60,000) and a high probability of being acceptance, hence the DPT (doctorate in physical therapy) program (considering Duke, possibly USC as well). However, I have worked long and hard, and feel I might regret not going into medicine. I hear stories again and again about MD’s who are overworked, but I don’t really know many MD’s to reference this to. Is it possible to enjoy a balanced life as an MD? Given my background and goals of balance, should I pursue the DPT or MD? Thanks for any advice.
Go MD, heck my DPT best friend is desperately applying to med school, eventhough she makes 75+ in the midwest only 2 years out. Do what you like and desire, dont doubt yourself and do not listen to what everone else says or hears or tells u, go with your intuition and do not doubt your abilities.

It's the typical answer you will hear, but sometimes you need to hear it ad nauseam before it sinks in: figure out what you want to do (clin med, rehab, research, or whatever) then pick the route that you think will prepare you best and get you there the quickest.

You can make millions as a PT or an MD, you can make the average wage for both, or you can make well below the national average and in all three examples be extremely happy with your life or on the verge of depression...life is what you make of it.

Personally, rehabilitation research was the light i wanted at the end of my tunnel, and I felt dpt/phd was the quickest, most efficient tunnel to take :D...and I am loving every second of my life.

Last edited:
The OP could be in a physical therapy program or medical school by now. And this thread doesn't belong in the physician-scientist forum although there's no point in moving it now.