DPT vs. MPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PT2004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just answer DPT or MPT. You dont need to state why. Im just trying to get a survey going on...thanks!:D:D:D

Members don't see this ad.

DPT. I'm young and idealistic and like to think it will benefit the profession and my career.

dpt. Beside the fact that mpt programs are nearly extinct, a step towards autonomous practice makes the therapists job much easier and removes unnecessary complications. If we're to be given direct access we must have enough knowledge to handle the responsibility and act accordingly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see why saying one or the other without saying why is giving you any more information than simply just being a cheerleader for either the masters or doctorate program. So I must elaborate to make myself feel better.

This is a debate it seems. The APTA wants the profession to go in the direction of DPT. So if you're looking at being a PT and start school than you must be a DPT because that is their requirement.

The requirement of employers though is different. MPTs are just fine for them. Bachelor's are probably even better candidates than MPTs... why? Experience. Most people with a bachelors have more experience than MPTs. In this field experience is what counts and ultimately determines your compensation.

The question I have is... Will the DPT transition ultimately increase the quality of patient care?

So if you're a future DPT or administrator you'll vote DPT. If you're an employer in need of a PT you say MPT or any qualified PT for that matter. I haven't jumped on the DPT bandwagon yet. I do hope that I do though. The more I learn the more concerned I get.

The requirement of employers though is different. MPTs are just fine for them. Bachelor's are probably even better candidates than MPTs... why? Experience. Most people with a bachelors have more experience than MPTs.

This isn't really what you meant... is it? Typically, a person with an MPT has significantly more experience than someone with a bachelors, not the other way around.

This isn't really what you meant... is it? Typically, a person with an MPT has significantly more experience than someone with a bachelors, not the other way around.

Am I correct that the BPTs came before MPTs? If I am than the BPTs have been working longer than the MPTs. Working experience is the number one thing influencing compensation. Am I wrong? Why? I'd like to know myself if I am wrong. Please correct me and provide a source so I can read it. thanks

Am I correct that the BPTs came before MPTs? If I am than the BPTs have been working longer than the MPTs. Working experience is the number one thing influencing compensation. Am I wrong? Why? I'd like to know myself if I am wrong. Please correct me and provide a source so I can read it. thanks

Ah- I just completely didn't understand your point. I thought you were comparing two people, one with a BS and one with an MPT starting their career at the same time.

Though in regard to what you did mean, I don't think it's fair to use degrees and experience interchangeably. There are plenty of people that get a lot of experience quickly by challenging themselves, and others that may be holding onto an MPT with no experience at all. As for the change, I believe the transition from bachelors to MPT didn't happen until the late 90's, roughly only 10 years ago.

Experience does not necessarily mean that that individual uses current evidence within his/her practice...experience is no substitute if the treatment is based on unproven medicine. Remember that the BSPT and MPT come from an era where EBP was not high on the list of priorities.

Experience does not necessarily mean that that individual uses current evidence within his/her practice...experience is no substitute if the treatment is based on unproven medicine. Remember that the BSPT and MPT come from an era where EBP was not high on the list of priorities.

The point isn't really whether BPTs or MPTs have more experience more than the fact that they both have more experience than DPTs. The bottom line... the mean salary between a DPT and a MPT is ~$500 a year with the favor going for the DPT. While the additional compensation is $500 the training is an additional ~25k in education costs. Health professionals and even other PTs believe that the DPT is inadequate training and was done simply for marketing purposes. DPTs aren't exactly jumped on over other PTs for job opportunities. In other words... employers much of the time don't even see a distinction between the masters and doctorate and could care less what letter is in front of your PT acronym.

While the APTA is hoping that this will create more autonomy withing the PT profession, higher salaries for us means higher healthcare costs. Obama has stated specifically that he plans on making healthcare reform one of his top priorities. This means cutting costs that are unneccessary. I guess the bottom line is him believing that that physical therapy services is not one area we can cut costs.

As for the original poster, I apoligize that this went way over one word. I guess the vote is for DPT because we all have to jump on board if new therapists want to contribute to this profession. I'm also completely in favor of the DPT. The more information to service the patients the better. I'm 100% for utilizing scientific-based research to solve patients issues.

My problem is with the cost of education vs reimbursement. There is no gaurantee that PTs will get further reimbursement for their services even with the DPT. The APTA isn't making life easy for future DPTs that need to spend a significant amount of their paycheck for their student loans.

Not exactly. The person with a bachelors degree by definition, has been practicing longer because of the earlier transition to the MPT.

I'm not really sure that the "MPT vs. DPT" debate matters much for those who have yet to obtain a degree. Essentially, if you are not a PT and want to be one, you're probably going to have to go the DPT route, unless you get accepted to one of the very few remaining Master's programs.

The debate is probably more interesting for those who are already PTs, where the question is whether or not to get a transitional DPT degree.

There goes your survey...

I'll choose DPT...I won't elaborate :ninja:

My vote goes to MPT for the following reasons:

1. Employers are not really concerned whether u have an MPT or DPT. (Rather some of them are very happy even with a BS - PT). They primarily need:
A. An experienced PT
B. with a valid state license
C. passed out from an APTA accredited course

2. Hence there is hardly any salary difference betn DPT and MPT

3. If you look carefully there is not a very significant difference in their syllabus either.

4. And also hardly any difference in the duties we will be assigned to as a PT after we graduate

5. Less debt in MPT

6. So why not pass out a year earlier, use that year to work and get better experience and use that money to do additional courses like BLS, CPR etc ??

Well..... there are many who will disagree with me of course... but this is my opinion

I keep seeing the argument that DPT will make direct access possible, yet direct access for physical therapist is already allowed in 45 states.

The changes to the programs I have seen is the addition of more clinical hours for the most part. These are hours that I would have preferred to be able to get as a paid employee, rather than paying a university to get those hours. However, the DPT is what every school is going to, so I suppose I don't really have a choice as I am not going to move to the one or two areas that still have an MPT.

If the MPT was still available here, I would choose that route.

Ok, direct access is allowed in 45 states (not sure on that figure but lets say your right). There are still stipulations and many would debate if it is truly %100 direct access. However, the argument is still irrelevant because what matters is INSURANCE reimbursement. Yes a patient can choose to see a PT before a GP or what not but they will have to pay out of pocket. That sort of kills any incentive to go straight to a PT unless you don't have insurance or unless your deductible is through the roof. In addition, there's probably not too much knowledge of the PT profession/prestige behind PT to motivate someone to go see a PT first. I think that the American population's knowledge is growing but prestige happens to be quite correlated with salary. If I were just a normal American citizen I wouldn't think that someone who made 60k/yr was all that special. Anyway, I got off topic.

In regards to DPT vs. MPT vs. BSPT there isn't much logic being used in my opinion. It is not a fair comparision to say that there is no pay difference between DPT and MPT because MPTs do have a lot more experience. An accurate comparision would compare a new MPT grad salary vs. a new DPT grad salary. But at the same time it would be illogical to say that a MPT is more likely to get hired because they have more experience than a DPT. That isn't the point, we are trying to eliminate extraneous variables which means we should only be looking at education (not experience). Now the T-DPT kind of changes things. Since it exists, I would probably go MPT then T-DPT when an employer pays for it. But, I don't know how efficacious the T-DPT is, it may be a blow off degree that just teaches one how to read research articles and makes money for the school in which you are enrolled.

DPT (because that's what I have and believe my education was worth it).