Dpt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student30

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am planning on applying to DPT this summer and I was wondering if those of you who have gotten in can post your stats? GPA/GRE/ experience and where you have gotten in. I really want to stay in Illinois but im open to anything.

I am pretty nervous about applying even though my GPA is competitive so any advice would probably help!

Thanks.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

3.77 gpa, 1120 GRE (I suck at vocab), and ~100 hrs of observation. I applied and got accepted at UW-La Crosse. Its a smaller school but has a pretty good reputation and isn't expensive.

I don't have great advice other than show the admission chairs that you are serious about PT. There are a number of ways to go about this but it should help seperate yourself from the people who pick PT as a backup to other more selective professional programs.

3.8/ 1100/ 3 LOR for phyiscal therapist, i also worked at a clinic as a PT aid for 3 years while as a under grad before applying to University at buffalo. Lucky for me my boss knew all the interviewers. Dont let my stats freak u out, my friend got in with a 2.9 on the wait list and a 1100 on the GRE. He didnt have any LORs for a physical therapist or experience except for teaching karate for 2 years. Trust me you dont need a super high GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice
200+/- Physical therapy programs (Masters/DPT)in the USA. Not counting PTA. One school is bound to accept you.

APTA.ORG

APPLY EVERYWHERE (Instate/OutofState)

Apply to at LEAST 5-10 schools. Chosen Schools, Decent School, Safety School
-Look at your current GPA and GRE score. Then, look at APTA.ORG~school name~scroll down to see admissions. Admissions will state the current class GPA and GRE selection. If you fall under that category then choose the school. If you have a 2.9-3.0 and the school selected indivduals with 3.4-3.6 then it will be a waste of time applying there but you may get lucky. Again its your money and time. You can apply to St. Augustine multiple times since the school has fall, spring, summer enrollment.

Pick cheap ~ Less Debt (Look at the salary and see if you want to spend 10,20,30 years paying off the loan and after five years then heading to medical school). There are loan forgiveness programs, military, huge sign on bonuses(One place offered 25k sign on bonus in New Mexico and in Texarkana if you give them 4 years), and other stuff out there. Just look.. Think about your life afterwards~house,wife/husband/partner, kids, etc...

(2007 salary--salary.com)
Percentile
10th 25th 75th 90th

U.S. National Averages
$56,356 $60,621 $69,653 $73,610

Salary may increase for work done in Home Health and Nursing Home Settings. Places where most do not want to work due to physical/emotional issues. Most graduates tend to go to hospital or clinic due to wide variety of clinic experiance you can gain after college.

Apply to cheap good national passrate ones vs the more nationally known expensive ones..People hiring you dont care about the school. Only your committment and if you passed the national test. Plus you learn the tricks from doing clinics and work. The school teaches the basics. In medicine from what I hear, school matters due to residency.

Apply to new PT programs. They usually have less competition. They may also be a fallback option if you dont get into the dream school.

(3-3 Year programs--3 year undergraduate/3 year Professional Component) As a Freshman if you find such a program like this---take it. Usually those programs start during your Freshman year of college then roll over to a professional component. Plus some programs have a guarantee slot for students who start as Freshman to eventually become Physical Therapists. Hell you will start college at 18 and be a Physical Therapist by the time your 24/25. Plus a good paying job after you complete the program (Jobs searching for you and not you searching for jobs unlike other professions).

Apply based on deadline (I applied to 4 schools per month). Each school has a specific deadline to send the application packet. For example, if one school has a deadline for november--send it in september. Schools like St. Augustine have deadlines three times a year (fall, spring, summer). A school in Tennessee has a deadline in July or August and it is the only school I know (besides St. Aug) that starts in spring (January).

For a complete application, you need 25-100.00 doller admissions fee, filled application, transcripts, GRE score (15.00 per score), 1-4 letters of recommendation (1or2 from PT, Boss, professor etc~sealed envelope with signature), and observation hours sheet.

Volunteer/Work/Observe in a variety of settings (Nursing Home, Wound Care, Ortho, Out-Patient, Peds, ETC). The school will teach you to become a generalist in the field. Try to get exposure to EVERYTHING that physical therapy has to offer. Know the Good, Bad, and Ugly side of PT. My fav was wound care and nursing home. Wound care was an awsome gruesome experiance (Not for people with a sensitive stomach. The PT was wound care certified). Nursing home had an awsome PT staff and humbled me a little bit (Good team with PT,PTA,ACOTAs,speech therapist, and an Awsome Informative DON) (After studying the generalist route, I would of wanted to work in this setting and become a Geriatric Physical Therapist- I felt that this population needs a lot of attention and care plus I got to meet some great nursing home residents)(Most try to not to persue this setting b.c mainly of death and the setting environment, but I loved it). The sports ortho place had one PT who I have tremendious respect for and I wish he would start teaching b/c he can provide students with a lot of information or become a clinic instructor~this is what the profession needs.More people like him who have the passion for mentoring others into becoming physical therapists. He is humble, professional, answers questions, and loves what he does). Aqua PT was humerous. The least setting that I didnt enjoy was Peds. This was mainly due to the lack of professionalism in the PT department. Bunch of arrogant pricks who make the field look bad and sort of cast away interest in people who really want to persue physical therapy. (Thought to know it all but WERE MORE OF WELL PAID CHEERLEADERS who never answered questions, cast down on volunteers, and snobbish)--What happened to giving back to the field--they were once students trying to persue physical therapy, but I guess they forgot. Physical Therapy is about helping people during their time of need, giving back to the field/community and ALSO INFLUENCING STUDENTS (mentorism) in becoming Physical Therapists~haha, had to lay it off my chest. The Children were fun. One setting I wish I observed was HOME HEALTH.

Be prepared to get letters in the mail with schools who still did not get GRE, Transcript scores, etc EVEN THOUGH you sent them and have proof.. Most of the time the scores are sent to admissions and not the department itself. Make sure when filing your GRE score, you get the department number. This can be obtained from the GRE website. Also call the school and see if they got your application.

At least 2-3schools per month (This will help with finances which is sending application fee, transcript fee, and GRE score). (Letters of recommendation--bothering your PT , teachers, boss, etc with filling out one).

All schools have different Pre-Reqs. I know LSU requires the most pre-reqs out of the 22 PT programs I applied. For example, it needed tech writing and misc. courses while other schools didnt require it. Mississippi requires the LEAST.

Do I need a bachelors degree before applying to PT school~YES. OR Close to Finishing. There are six year programs where students start as a Pre-Physical Therapy Major as a FRESHMEN then finish the professional portion to become a physical therapist (3-3 DEAL). Other programs are Masters or DPT so they need the bachelors.

Have a plan B just in case you do not get accepted. I had a A, B, and C. If you did Pre-reqs then you can also apply to accelerated BSN programs which range 12-15 months. Then, if you are still wanting to do physical therapy, you can apply next year. Plus, work a friday or saturday night shift with good pay while in school.

I personally know of one BSN program in Arizona that will PAY EVERYTHING (books, tuition, uniforms, and class exept for living;however, you give them two years (exellant packages like pay for babysitter while you work a shift. The hospitals in that region are willing to pay for your masters as well.) I blew this opportunity out the water.. I should of taken it =[, but wasnt thinking. I would of had it too.. Out of 130 applicants, they accepted 80..

Another plan B option is work as a tech and get more hours in PT.

For interviews:
Try to say something creative when they ask you a question.

Questions can range from simple straight answer like tell me about yourself to more what would you do in this situation. Just be straight up and dont bullshi* them b.c most of them interview a lot of candidates. Be Humble....

Have a creative way of telling them WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A PT. Many people say oh b.c I love anatomy and physiology and PT's apply it, or you got injured and had physical therapy, or you had a family member with a disorder.

If they ask you a question like what type of animal are you then be creative. They want you to think fast. Do have a straight up answer and tell them why you are that animal (Dont say b.c I like being a Dog~Say something like Dogs are Alert animals and good companions--- PT'S are good companions to patients during their time of need.) I said giraff on my answer due to darwins evolution and survival of the fittest. (Since they had long necks, most of the short neck giraffs died out since also Physical Therapy school is surviving)

If you do not get in then tell them you will work as a PT tech or try again. They love hearing that.

Why should we take you or what makes you special or what can you bring to the program???

How do you plan on giving back to the field??--Just remember 4 years down when you are working as a PT and someone interested in the field came in and wants to become YOU

What do you see yourself doing in 5 years.

What makes physical therapy stand out over nursing, medicine, etc??

What can you offer in Physical Therapy??

Do you have teaching experiance?

Why did you choose this school or the state???

What qualities should a physical therapist possess

What makes a professional.

How do you handle stress?

My favorite question--A person on your team isnt pulling his or her weight on a project what do you do? How do you deal with this situation?

At the end of the interview also tell them some flaws like how you did bad your first year of college and that you tried hard to raise up your grades. Give them a good logical explanation and DONT BLAIM ANYONE. Most of them see patterns in grades per semester and year..Dont say cause the teacher was a bit** and flunked me or it was anyones fault. Trust me I know. I had an F my first year in college and had to work my a** off pulling my GPA up. Its hard. Tree's dont grow fast enough but they fall down fast when they are cut down. They want a survivor type student.. Some people who had A's pre physical therapy school wind up having B's. It is the way it is.. Deal with it and survive. Dont complain. You want to be a Physical Therapist-right?

Mingle with other people. Try to sell yourself as a people person. During my interviews, I saw some really snotty dipshi*s thinking they are all that and a bag of chips.

Most important, stay positive and dont show any form of anger or depression or thinking you God's gift to humanity. Dont say I think I blew my interview or didnt think I said the best answer or sorry blah blah to anyone (candidate/professor) or I think I am better qualified than most of these people due to my resume, grades, etc at the interview place or to the candidates(This is a HUGE NO NO). Save that when you go away from the building to your car or hotel room.. If they accept you then they will see the "real" you once you in the program.....

No answer is the best or more correct answer. The interviewers just want to feel you out. See what type of person you are.. Thats all~so just act yourself and if you are an a$$hole, keep that to yourself. Trust me, if you make it to the program then the real battle begins with your classmates. Better make friends (Classmates are no competition to see who gets the better grade or jobs at the end~PLENTY of FN JOBS). Expecially with students in the second or third year. They may help with advice, motivation, study skills, and tests. Its gonna get SCARY!!~BUT YOU ARE NOT ALONE~Plenty of people came before you.

Interviews vary from each school. It can be:
Professor ---Candidate or 2-3 candidates
2 Professors- Candidate
2 Professors 1 student- 2-3 Candidates
Etc
If 3 or 2 candidates for 1 or 2 professors, the professor will ask 1 question and candidate A responds first then B then C. The second question, candidate B responds then C then A. Third question C first then A then B. Come up with a unique answer. Dont say the same thing, but elaborate on the previous answer.

An essay may be involved. Typically you have 1 hour to write it.

A school tour will be given.. Yes, you will go to cadavier lab.. Yes some schools actually take you inside and see a cadavier. They even let you put on the gloves and feel the orgrans. The lungs are very very spongy~It was a weird but awsome experiance. One interview a girl was all WTF NO WAY BLAH BLAH BLAH, I did not know that we had to see a cadavier or touch one. I laughed and said you didnt know that part of the training was to cut open and explore a dead human? She was speechless and rdy to cry while I wanted tell her to pick another profession or deal with it. Research DAMNIT! That cadavier will be your best friend~deal with it and appreciate the fact that someone gave his/her body to science so you can have a better education. Also show a form of respect to the dead. Plus in school, there will be groups of 4 or 5 per cadavier so one guy/girl like me wouldn't mind cutting it open. You will get use to it --stated by many PT students..

At the end of the interview session, if the person asks you if you have any questions then ask a question or two. Sell yourself as being interested and determined about the program.

If you get a large packet in the mail with school then hurray you got in if you get a small letter then boohoo.

The large packet will contain a fee (100.00-500.00 fee to save a seat, medical, and other MISC paper work). The 500.00 fee is usually deposited in your tuition. The reason of the high fee is that they want to make sure you are willing to try the program. Some people usually have 2-3+ school selections. There is a deadline like 1 or 2 months for sending the fee. For any reason, you are not interested in the program, please call them and say something. Other people are on the waiting list and would love to take your spot.

The small letter can contain put on waiting list which is a good thing or a rejection letter. You cant do anthing about the rejection letter but being on the waiting list sux. Make sure you keep in contact with the schools. Some may select you months or days before class starts..

One of my interviews, a DPT student told a story of being put on the waiting list then receiving a call from a professor asking him if he was still interested in the program. This was TWO DAYS BEFORE CLASS begun. Needless to say, he said HELL YA.

Info about me
GRE -1000
GPA 3.45
Science 3.29
BS in Exercise Science and Massage Therapist
500 Hours PT Volunteer in Various Places (Nursing Home, Peds, Orthopedic, Wound Care, and Aqua)
Applied to 22 Physical Therapy places (Spent a lot of money filling out applications, road travel, and interview)..

Outcome
Rejected by 5 with a letter stating due to GPA, GRE scores, and other crap you do not qualify enough.
Three lost my application or said I sent it late? I post marked it before the deadline.
12 interviews which included phone, video tape (yes one school actually gave me an option to video tape myself while they send questions to a physical therapist via fax), and an actual session.
The other two schools do not interview. They just mail you acceptance letters.

Results:
Waiting list on 11
1 accepted me (Southwest Baptist)
The second one took me off the waiting list and into the acceptance category (St.Francis)
Waiting for more results

The reason for applying so much..
Physical therapy school is MUCH harder to get in than med school
Physical Therapy schools accepts 15-50 people while med schools accepts 100-200+ people.
The process involves first a weed out system based on GPA and GRE. It doesnt matter how many hours in PT you worked or volunteered. You may have 1000's of hours but below a 1000 on the GRE AND 3.0 you might as well go do another profession. It is sad but true. I know a guy who could not get higher than a 800 on the GRE, but his GPA was 3.7 and his science was 3.5. He could not get in with the schools that wanted GRE's but got in to two schools which did not use the GRE as a factor.

What was funny is that a friend of mine got in a school with a 3.2 GPA and a Science average of 3.19. However his GRE score was 1100+.

The most valuable tool I used in finding out the schools
Apta.org

Here is a link to all the schools based on Location, GPA, and GRE scores

http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm?...cess=3&type=PT

Remember the quote "Championships are not one by a single individual. They are won by a team working together." The school is going to be tough. Deal with it. You will have to sacrafice a lot of time from family and friends. However, your new family will be your fellow classmates. One of the physical therapy students during an interview session told me he would much rather be the last one in his class to graduate. I said why so. He said so he will know that ALL HIS CLASSMATES GRADUATED. Be a teamplayer to a person struggling but say something to a mooch that wants to leech off you. You are not in it alone. Plus you will deal with a lot of people (Dr's, nurses, yes lawyers, other therapists) outside your field. All these people taking care of one patients health.

The question I still am clueless about---What does each school look for in a candidate (How do they go by selecting an individual. To be honest, I dont have a dam clue. I asked this question to physical therapists, professors, and students. All answers are Im not sure or different schools look for different people so this is what I can come up with after being through the process).. Some schools like Texas Womens dont even go through the interview process. They just look at scores. If you have a high GPA/GRE then your in. Plain and Simple. Other schools want to interview the individual to see if that person is a match for the program (Look for your committment and deterimination--the things you say and the type of person you are in the interview process vs having a HIGH GRE/GPA) . Other schools just want to interview, see the person before they select him/her, then do the GPA/GRE type calculation and select the candidate.)

School accepts any major. From general studies, music, engennering (sp). You really DONT need to have a Biology, Exercise Science, Kinesiology, etc degree BUT those degrees do help with the courses in PT schools. (Pre-Reqs) but some programs have recommended (usually gives extra points toward your application than required courses.

Physical therapy school will TEACH you to become a generalist.. Some schools like St. Aug will go for a more manual therapy approach while Baylor has an awsome ortho (no limbs) program since its a military school and they deal with those things. It is also VERY VERY hard to get in.

The fastest program for DPT is 2.5 years. But you take 21-25 hours. Personally I would rather have 15-18 hours. You wont have time to watch the whole episode of friends, seinfield, or whatever but you will have ample study time, relax a little bit, and research. But I think one school has a 2.5 year, 3 year (MOT/DPT), or a 4 year(weekend program)--St. Augustine. If you want to kill yourself, choose a program with 25 hours. You get done faster and start working to pay off the debt.

Good Grades do matter but schools want a candidate with a mixture of good grades, volunteer hours, community service, clubs, etc~Basically, this person is not one thing but only studying and getting high marks..

Yes schools take a 3.0 GPA student. (Good references, good GRE scores, volunteering, community service, and the interview)

A few schools dont use the GRE score as a factor for selection. Only look at GPA, Volunteer Hours, and Interview. One school in Iowa for example. http://www.dmu.edu/PT/
"We do not require the GRE test for the PT program. We feel that the GRE is not useful in predicting how well as student will do in a physical therapy program. We would prefer to look at GPA, letters of recommendation, observational experiences, and interview scores."

Out of state schools Vs Instate. Most instate programs will accept out of state students. For example, if is a class of 40 then 5+/- will be out of state.

Do your own research on the school and the program. I made it a little bit easier for you.

In regards to road travel. Amtrak Train and Greyhound bus.. Much cheaper travel options THAN car. For traveling use mapquest.com or mapblast.com (MAGELLON 3100~219.00 GPS) and a nice radar detecter PASSPORT X50 OR BEL 995~legal in my state.

Hotels---Hotels.com to look for cheap reasonable. My fav was red roof inn...

Programs usually start in Summer, Fall, and even Spring. Personally, I would start summer and get Cadavier Anatomy out the way.

This whole process is what I call a drowning pool. Lots of people want to do it, but only a certain number reach their final destination. Some drown due to not passing a certain pre-req. Some drown when they apply and dont get an interview but they can keep trying. Some drown and dont get accepted to PT school due to GRE/GPA. Some drown in PT school.

I hope this information helped.

Yes my writing sucks--Forgive me...

Read this far? Congrats~NOW DO IT!!!

Think this is a difficult process? It is.. Your whole life to put on hold for the next hmm maybe 6 months from application process to interview to waiting to get selected plus trying to decide what/where/when is your future. Thats why have plans A, B , C. It was a good experiance.

Good Luck in trying to get into a program. I did all this work through trial and error, asking questions, and doing my own research, got accepted into two programs, but decided not to persue Physical Therapy. Personal reasons. Yea I know--sad =[

Reactions: 1 user
List of all US Programs with links to the program

AlabamaAlabama State University (A4, D6, F1, PU)The University of Alabama at Birmingham (A4, D6, F1, PU)University of South Alabama (D6, F1, PU) ArizonaAT Still University of Health Sciences (A4, D6, F1, PR)Northern Arizona University (A4, D6, F1, PU) ArkansasArkansas State University (D5, E5, F1, PU)University of Central Arkansas (A4, D6, F1, PU) CaliforniaAzusa Pacific University (A4, D6, F1, PR)California State University, Fresno (A4, D5, F1, PU)California State University, Long Beach (D5, F1, PU)California State University, Northridge (A4, D5, F1, PU)California State University, Sacramento (A4, D5, F1, PU)Chapman University (A4, D6, F1, PR)Loma Linda University (A6, D5, D6, E5, F1, PR)Mount St Mary's College (A4, D6, F1, PR)Samuel Merritt College (A4, D6, F1, PR)University of California, San Francisco/San Francisco State University (A4, D5, F1, PU)University of Southern California (A4, D6, F1, PR)University of the Pacific (A4, D6, F1, PR)Western University of Health Sciences (A4, D6, F1, PR) ColoradoRegis University (A4, D6, F1, PR)University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center (A4, D6, F1, PU) ConnecticutQuinnipiac University (A2, D6, F1, PR)Sacred Heart University (A1, A2, A4, D6, F1, PR)University of Connecticut (A4, D6, F1, PU)University of Hartford (D6, F1, PR) DelawareUniversity of Delaware (A4, D6, F1, PU) District of ColumbiaHoward University (D5, F1, PR)The George Washington University (A4, D6, F1, PR) FloridaFlorida Agricultural and Mechanical University (A4, D5, F1, PU)Florida Gulf Coast University (A4, D5, F1, PU)Florida International University (A4, D5, D8, F1, PU)Nova Southeastern University (D6, E3, F1, F4, PR)University of Central Florida (A4, D6, F1, PU)University of Florida (A4, D6, F1, PU)University of Miami (A4, D6, F1, PR)University of North Florida (D5, F1, PU)University of South Florida (A4, D6, F1, PU)University of St Augustine for Health Sciences (A1, A4, A5, D6, E2, E3, F1, F4, PR) GeorgiaArmstrong Atlantic State University in Consortium with Medical College of Georgia and North Georgia College and State University (D6, D7, F1, PU)Emory University (D6, F1, PR)Georgia State University (D6, F1, PU)Medical College of Georgia in Consortium with Armstrong Atlantic State University and North Georgia College and State University (A4, D6, F1, PU)North Georgia College and State University in Consortium with Medical College of Georgia and Armstrong Atlantic State University (A4, D6, D7, F1, PU) IdahoIdaho State University (A4, D6, E5, F1, PU) IllinoisBradley University (A4, D6, F1, PR)Governors State University (A4, D6, F1, PU)Midwestern University (A4, D6, F1, PR)Northern Illinois University (D5, F1, PU)Northwestern University (A4, D6, F1, PR)Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (D6, F1, PR)The University of Illinois at Chicago (D6, PU) IndianaIndiana University (A4, D6, F1, PU)University of Evansville (A2, D6, E5, F1, PR)University of Indianapolis (A4, D6, E5, F1, PR) IowaClarke College (D6, F1, PR)Des Moines University - Osteopathic Medical Center (A4, D6, F1, PR)St Ambrose University (D6, F1, PR)The University of Iowa (A4, D6, F1, PU) KansasUniversity of Kansas Medical Center (A4, D6, F1, PU)Wichita State University (A4, D6, F1, PU) KentuckyBellarmine University (D6, F1, PR)University of Kentucky (D6, E1, E3, F1, PU) LousianaLouisiana State University Health Sciences Center in New Orleans (A4, D6, F1, PU)Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in Shreveport (A4, D6, F1, PU) MaineHusson College (A1, A2, D6, PR)University of New England (A4, D6, F1, PR) MarylandUniversity of Maryland - Baltimore (A4, D6, F1, PU)University of Maryland - Eastern Shore (A4, D6, F1, PU) MassachusettsAmerican International College (A2, D6, F1, PR)Boston University (A2, A4, D6, F1, PR)MGH Institute of Health Professions (A4, D6, F1, PR)Northeastern University (A2, D6, F1, PR)Simmons College (D6, F1, PR)Springfield College (A2, D6, F1, PR)University of Massachusetts Lowell (A4, D6, F1, PU) MichiganAndrews University (D6, F1, PR)Central Michigan University (A4, D6, F1, PU)Grand Valley State University (A4, D6, F1, PU)Oakland University (A4, D6, F1, PU)University of Michigan - Flint (A4, D6, F1, F4, PU)Wayne State University (D6, F1, PU) MinnesotaCollege of St Catherine (A2, A4, D6, E5, F1, PR)College of St Scholastica (D6, F1, PR)Mayo School of Health Sciences (D6, F1, PR)University of Minnesota (A4, D6, F1, PU)

MississippiUniversity of Mississippi at the Medical Center (A4, D6, F1, PU) MissouriMaryville University of Saint Louis (A2, D6, F1, PR)Missouri State University (A4, D5, F1, PU)Rockhurst University (D6, F1, PR)Saint Louis University (A1, A2, D6, F1, PR)Southwest Baptist University (A1, A4, D6, F1, PR)University of Missouri-Columbia (D6, F1, PU)Washington University of St Louis (A4, D6, F1, PR) MontanaThe University of Montana - Missoula (A4, D6, F1, PU) NebraskaCreighton University (D6, F1, PR)University of Nebraska Medical Center (D6, F1, PU) NevadaUniversity of Nevada, Las Vegas (A4, D6, F1, PU) New HampshireFranklin Pierce College (D6, F2, PR) New JerseyRutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Graduate School Camden and University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey (A4, D6, F1, PU)Seton Hall University (D6, PR)The Richard Stockton College of New Jersey (D6, F1, PU)University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey (D6, F1, PU) New MexicoUniversity of New Mexico (A4, D5, F1, PU) New YorkClarkson University (A2, A4, D6, F1, PR)College of Staten Island/The Graduate Center (CUNY) (A4, D6, F1, PU)Columbia University (A4, D6, F1, PR)D'Youville College (A4, D6, F1, PR)Daemen College (A2, D6, F1, PR)Dominican College of Blauvelt (A1, D6, F3, PR)Hunter College/The Graduate Center (CUNY) (A4, D6, F1, PU)Ithaca College (A2, D6, F1, PR)Long Island University - Brooklyn Campus (A4, D6, F1, PR)Mercy College (D6, E5, F3, PR)Nazareth College of Rochester (A2, D6, F1, PR)New York Institute of Technology (A2, A4, D6, F1, PR)New York Medical College (A4, D6, F1, PR)New York University (A4, D6, F1, PR)State University of New York Downstate Medical Center (A2, D6, F1, F4, PU)State University of New York Upstate Medical University (A4, D6, F1, PU)Stony Brook University (A4, D6, F1, PU)The Sage Colleges (A2, A4, D6, F1, PR)Touro College (A2, D6, E1, E3, E5, F1, PR)University at Buffalo, State University of New York (D6, F1, PU)Utica College (A2, D6, F1, PR) North CarolinaDuke University (A4, D6, F1, PR)East Carolina University (A4, D6, F1, PU)Elon University (D6, F1, PR)The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (A4, D6, F1, PU)Western Carolina University (A4, D5, F1, PU)Winston-Salem State University (A4, D5, F1, PU) North DakotaUniversity of Mary (D6, F1, PR)University of North Dakota (D6, F1, PU) OhioCleveland State University (A4, D5, F1, PU)College of Mount St Joseph (D6, F1, PR)Ohio University (A4, D6, F1, PU)The Ohio State University (A4, D5, D6, F1, PU)The University of Findlay (A1, A2, A4, A6, D5, E3, F3, PR)University of Cincinnati (A1, A4, D6, E5, F1, PU)University of Dayton (A4, D6, F1, PR)University of Toledo (D6, D7, F1, PU)Walsh University (A4, D6, F1, PR)Youngstown State University (D5, F1, PU) OklahomaLangston University (D6, PU)University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center (D5, E3, F1, PU) OregonPacific University (A4, D6, F1, PR) PennsylvaniaArcadia University (A4, D6, F1, PR)Chatham College (A4, D6, F1, PR)College Misericordia (A2, D5, F1, PR)Drexel University (A2, A4, D6, F1, PR)Duquesne University (A2, D6, F1, PR)Gannon University (A4, D6, F1, PR)Lebanon Valley College (A2, D6, F1, PR)Neumann College (A4, D6, F3, PR)Saint Francis University (A2, D6, F1, PR)Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania (A4, D6, F1, PU)Temple University (A4, D6, F1, PU)Thomas Jefferson University (D5, D6, F1, PR)University of Pittsburgh (A4, D6, F1, PU)University of Scranton (D6, F1, PR)University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (A2, D6, F1, PR)Widener University (A4, D6, F1, PR) Puerto RicoUniversity of Puerto Rico - Medical Sciences Campus (A4, D5, F1, F6, PU) Rhode IslandUniversity of Rhode Island (D6, F1, PU) South CarolinaMedical University of South Carolina (A4, D6, F1, PU)University of South Carolina - Columbia (D6, F1, PU) South DakotaUniversity of South Dakota (D6, PU) TennesseeBelmont University (A4, D6, F1, PR)East Tennessee State University (A4, D6, F1, PU)Tennessee State University (A4, D6, F1, PU)The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (D6, F1, PU)The University of Tennessee Health Science Center (A4, D6, F1, PU) TexasAngelo State University (A4, D5, F1, PU)Hardin-Simmons University (A4, D6, F1, PR)Texas State University-San Marcos (A4, D5, F1, PU)Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (D5, E1, E3, F1, PU)Texas Woman's University (A4, D6, E1, E3, F1, PU)The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (D5, F1, PU)The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (A4, D5, F1, PU)University of Texas at El Paso (D5, F1, PU)University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas (A4, D6, F1, PU)US Army-Baylor University (A4, D6, D7, F1, PU) UtahUniversity of Utah (D6, F1, PU) VermontUniversity of Vermont (A2, A4, D6, F1, PU) VirginiaHampton University (A4, D6, F1, PR)Marymount University (D6, F1, PR)Old Dominion University (A4, D6, F1, PU)Shenandoah University (D6, F1, PR)Virginia Commonwealth University (A4, D6, F1, PU) WashingtonEastern Washington University (A4, D6, F1, PU)University of Puget Sound (A4, D6, PR)University of Washington (A4, D6, F1, PU) West VirginiaWest Virginia University (D6, F1, PU)Wheeling Jesuit University (A4, D6, F1, PR) WisconsinCarroll College (A1, A2, D6, F1, PR)Concordia University Wisconsin (A4, D6, F1, PR)Marquette University (A2, D6, F1, PR)University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse (A4, D6, F1, PU)University of Wisconsin-Madison (A4, D5, F1, PU)

oh wow, thanks for all that but which school did you apply to? were they out of state? because I heard these state schools don't like to accept non-residents.

In my state, there are 2 physical therapy schools. I applied out of state. Some states like Mississippi only takes residents due to being one school in the state. Other states take out of state people. However, you pay out of state tuition for the first year then I think you can pay instate tuition the second year.

Try your luck at St. Augustine (takes 50+ students) and has a summer-fall-spring application(This school is a melting pot. They accept numerous out of state and international students. Plus they have a dual degree--DPT/Masters in OT.), Texas Womens (takes 40+ -- 2 places to apply), and another school in south carolina which takes 40+.

Any other questions I will be happy to answer.

Especially those interested in that accelerated BSN. I got loads of info on that even though this is pt forums..

in response to the list of programs..

D5 = Masters program
D6 = Doctorate Program

A couple of schools dont do interviews. They just accept students based on GRE/GPA Calculation. These schools are:

Texas Womens University--The price of the school is reasonable and the education is awsome

St Francis University--The price is very very very steep. However its number 7 in the country and very good passrate. Save yourself the debt and go for another program. 800.00 per credit hour.

Southwest Baptist--Price is decent. Basically the same price of what a PT will make so its dead even. Average passrate on the boards...

One of the Cheapest Schools
PT school in Galveston (UTMB)

A)In State
B)Out of State

Semester 1
A) $6,836.07
B) $19091.07

Semester 2
A)$5569.16
B)$15,207.16

Final Semester
a)$1498.41
b)$4063.41

Totals
A) $13,903.64
B)$38,361.64

Who do I contact to sticky the list of schools?

A friend of mine who is a dental student recommended me this site http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/jobs/

Basically it will repay back most of your loans for 2 years of service. It is for physicians, nurses, dentists, but they are trying to set a law to get physical therapists qualified. Anyways, I think im done finding information.. Good luck everyone....(I guess I covered a lot of info plus more needed to get into a program. I think I over done it, but I had fun in the process).

I felt like I needed to give back a little bit to the field (learning a lot from observations from various physical therapy settings and talking with physical therapist )(even though I chose not to persue it- )I may smack myself later in life)-but still got respect for physical therapists and anyone willing to try it) than be a selfish miser and keep the information. It will save alot of time and stress for a new person figuring out what school to apply and going through the process like I did with all these schools.

NHSC Loan Repayment Program

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The first step to applying for the NHSC Loan Repayment Program is to locate a community that needs you by going to the NHSC Opportunities List. If you accept employment at one of the many eligible sites, you can apply. While employment at an eligible site is a requirement to qualify for this program, it is not a guarantee of an award. Clinicians who serve in areas with the greatest need are given award priority. .
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Need is determined by using the Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA) designation score. These scores are indicated on the NHSC Opportunities List. The higher the score, the greater the need. Therefore, individuals interested in applying for the NHSC Loan Repayment Program can maximize their chances for receiving an award by choosing sites with the highest HPSA scores..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Individuals who gain employment at sites with a HPSA score of 17 or higher may be eligible for early funding. Those clinicians who obtain employment at sites with a HPSA score of less than 17 will be considered after the application cycle closes on March 30, 2007 You can learn more about the NHSC LRP, and the policies and procedures in place for FY 2007 by reading the .

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi again...

Does anyone have any information on the DPT-MBA programs out there? How many are there?

thanks

Ya.. I know of 1 and that is southwest baptist. They sent me info with my application with getting an MBA along with the DPT..

Bump~it was lost in the threads.

Some Issues in Physical Therapy

The biggest issue facing physical therapy today is making sure that
Physical Therapists are recognized by the consumers and other health
care professionals as the practitioners of choice to whom consumers
have direct access for the diagnosis of , interventions for and
prevention of impairments, functional limitations, and disabilities
related to movement, function, and health.

In order to accomplish this The American Physical Therapy Association
Board of Directors suggest that therapists should focus on 5 key areas
1) professionalism, 2) Direct Access, 3) The doctor of physical
Therapy, 4) evidence based practice, and 5) practitioner of choice.

In response to this, the majority of first professional degree programs
have now transitioned to the professional doctoral degree, which has
led to direct access care in 39 states (direct access means physical
therapists do not need a written referral from a physician).

The next step is educating 3rd party payers (insurance providers).
While educators and state law is now recognizing PT's as primary care
providers, many insurance carries will not reimburse PT's for services
if there is no written referral from a physician.

PT are facing a variety of issues:
Becoming direct access providers
Lobbying congress to ensure sufficient reimbursement for services

I can think of 5 major issues facing physical therapists today. I
will outline them here, and you can choose the ones you find most
appropriate for your paper. Many have to do with financial concerns in
medicine.

Limitations of insurance coverage for physical therapy services.
Content of PT treatments or the number of total sessions must often be
tailored to take the patient's financial concerns into account, usually
this is due to limitations placed by the insurance company.

Inability to implement direct access.
Although many states allow physical therapists to work with direst
access to patients by law, many insurance companies and institutions
don't recognize this, so it is not used in day to day practice.

Declining reimbursement rates for physical therapy services.
Therapists are constantly pressures to increase productivity while
still providing quality care and accurate documentation.

Continuing Education.
Funds available to physical therapists through their employers are
diminishing. Although it is the PT's responsibility to keep current on
CEU's for both licensure and professional development, increased
financial pressure felt by PT departments means that the cost for CEUs
falls more to the individual therapist

Multiple degree expectations.
With many options to expand professional credentials (specialization
certification through the APTA, degrees in related fields such as
athletic training and ergonomic engineering), the single degree in PT is
not as competitive as it used to be. You now need more credentials to do
the same job.

Definition of "Autonomous Practice" Adopted

In light of APTA's movement toward realizing Vision 2020 , an operational definition of "autonomous practice" was adopted during the March Board of Directors meeting. Vision 2020 states, "Physical therapists will be practitioners of choice in clients' health networks and will hold all privileges of autonomous practice." Board members agreed, however, that the term "autonomous practice" and the related term "autonomous physical therapist practitioner" needed clarification to ensure that the Association's efforts toward this realization are consistent.

The definitions adopted by the Board are as follows:

"Autonomous physical therapist practice is practice characterized by independent, self-determined, professional judgment and action.

"An autonomous physical therapist practitioner, within the scope of practice defined by the Guide to Physical Therapist Practice, provides physical therapy services to patients/clients who have direct and unrestricted access to their services, and may refer as appropriate to other health care providers and other professionals and for diagnostic tests."

The Board directed APTA staff to identify competencies of the autonomous physical therapist practitioner, using A Normative Model of Physical Therapist Professional Education, the Guide to Physical Therapist Practice , other Association documents, and expert member input. A report is due to the November 2001 Board of Directors meeting

Will someone please sticky this.

Referral for Profit (POPTS) Issue

Read about our stance. Where do you stand?

PTJobs.com is dedicated to the profession of physical therapy. Our founder and CEO, Rick Shutes, is a Physical Therapist who has dedicated his 40 year career to the betterment of the profession. He has served on many state and national committees, including APTA committees charged with the ?Referral for Profit (POPTS)" issue. (http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm...NTENTID=25492&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm)

Under the guidance of our PT owner, Rick Shutes, PTJobs.com believes that "Referral for Profit" represents a fundamental conflict of interest which inherently threatens the autonomy of professional physical therapy practice. Read more?(http://www.ptjobs.com/common/terms.php#9)

Copied from another forum

If I could identify one factor most responsible for my possible exodus from the PT profession, it would be the proliferation of POPTS. No matter how solid the business plan nor how ethical I may run my clinic, a POPTS can immediately choke off referrals and send the practice into an unrecoverable spiral.

Conversely, if POPTS became illegal and/or we had more than modified direct access in Texas, the profession might have a shot at keeping skilled motivated therapists around. It's sad, but that's where we are right now. I may try to beat them eventually, but for the moment I am trying to join them.

If I could identify one factor most responsible for my possible exodus from the PT profession, it would be the proliferation of POPTS. No matter how solid the business plan nor how ethical I may run my clinic, a POPTS can immediately choke off referrals and send the practice into an unrecoverable spiral.

Conversely, if POPTS became illegal and/or we had more than modified direct access in Texas, the profession might have a shot at keeping skilled motivated therapists around. It's sad, but that's where we are right now. I may try to beat them eventually, but for the moment I am trying to join them.

Beat them up. =)

I'd like to see a discussion of this topic on a more legislative level - that's where things will eventually get done. Right now it's just more of the same dithering.

Yea, Im curious about it too.. My exercise phys teacher had a PHD and we called him Dr.___ instead of Professor ___. I dont feel like dipping on my toes in cold water so I will leave this one alone.

http://physicaltherapy.rehabedge.com/MPT_vs%25_DPT/m_14931/tm.htm
-Education is Priceless. You pay the bill for it.

http://ptupdate.com/

PTupdate.com was created to fulfill my desire and need to continue growing as a clinician. In today's healthcare environment, and its surplus of clinicians and declining volume of patients, it is the expert clinician who will succeed. This site can help that process by allowing a volume of eager and motivated clinicians to interact and teach each other the advanced skills necessary to succeed. Whether your goal is to increase business, sit for a specialization exam, increase your bottom line, or just keep up to date with current literature, this site may benefit you.

• All of the author's protocols, evaluation tips and treatment tips (including over 230 instructional photos of advanced techniques).
  • Detailed daily article reviews from current literature, including: Biomechanics, Physician & Sports Medicine, Arthroscopy, Spine, American Journal of Sports Medicine, Foot and Ankle, JOSPT, Physical Therapy Case Reports, The American Journal of Orthopedics, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, Orthopaedic Nursing, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Journal of Athletic Training The American Journal of Occupational Therapy,, and many others. The site author personally abstracts pertinent articles for info that is valuable to a PT and comments as to their clinical significance for a PT. Over 1300 articles already on file!
  • Video Movies showing manual techniques
  • The author's own "Five Steps to Running A Successful Clinic"
  • Printable forms/surveys/outcomes measures
  • Members favorite evaluation and treatment ideas
  • Tips by physicians for PTupdate members only
  • Updates with new information, products,and breaking news
  • Review of current literature
  • Open forum. Post a clinical question and allow your peers to help
  • New program ideas by people who have actually done them
  • Course and book reviews
  • Marketing ideas
  • The authors own comprehensive outcomes program-printable and ready to use
  • Used equipment for sale (Tight budget? Raise some money by selling something you don't use!)
  • Job postings
  • Fast loading pages-no banners or graphics to slow things down
  • Links to a huge selection of PT sites, medical search engines, medical journals, universities, foreign PT associations, etc. Over 300 sites listed!

Another bump for old time sake.

My advice
200+/- Physical therapy programs (Masters/DPT)in the USA. Not counting PTA. One school is bound to accept you.

APTA.ORG

APPLY EVERYWHERE (Instate/OutofState)

Have a plan B just in case you do not get accepted. I had a A, B, and C. If you did Pre-reqs then you can also apply to accelerated BSN programs which range 12-15 months. Then, if you are still wanting to do physical therapy, you can apply next year. Plus, work a friday or saturday night shift with good pay while in school.

I personally know of one BSN program in Arizona that will PAY EVERYTHING (books, tuition, uniforms, and class exept for living;however, you give them two years (exellant packages like pay for babysitter while you work a shift. The hospitals in that region are willing to pay for your masters as well.) I blew this opportunity out the water.. I should of taken it =[, but wasnt thinking. I would of had it too.. Out of 130 applicants, they accepted 80..

Good Luck in trying to get into a program. I did all this work through trial and error, asking questions, and doing my own research, got accepted into two programs, but decided not to persue Physical Therapy. Personal reasons. Yea I know--sad =[

I am sorry, I just joined this forum and I have a question on your quote. What is a BSN? How do I get into it? Thanks! PS: thank you for taking the time to share this information. It is really helpful for newbies like me. ES.

I am sorry, I just joined this forum and I have a question on your quote. What is a BSN? How do I get into it? Thanks! PS: thank you for taking the time to share this information. It is really helpful for newbies like me. ES.

BSN is Bachelors of Science in Nursing (Accelerated Programs). It is alot faster and cheaper. Plus if a hospital pays for everything then might as well do it. Im in an accelerated program now.

BSN is Bachelors of Science in Nursing (Accelerated Programs). It is alot faster and cheaper. Plus if a hospital pays for everything then might as well do it. Im in an accelerated program now.

The thing is, being a nurse and being a PT are very different. different hours, different patient type, similar pay. If pay is all you are looking at, then BSN is maybe the way to go. Caveat, don't choose your profession based on pay alone. You will never be happy.

The thing is, being a nurse and being a PT are very different. different hours, different patient type, similar pay. If pay is all you are looking at, then BSN is maybe the way to go. Caveat, don't choose your profession based on pay alone. You will never be happy.

Everyone that I've talked to has said that PTs make more than nurses. I realize that nurses can work ridiculous amounts of overtime (and many of them do) and reap the benefits of shift differentials, but as a whole, I was under the impression that PTs most certainly made more money.

Everyone that I've talked to has said that PTs make more than nurses. I realize that nurses can work ridiculous amounts of overtime (and many of them do) and reap the benefits of shift differentials, but as a whole, I was under the impression that PTs most certainly made more money.

You can make a crapload in either profession depending on how much you want to get pooped on. Please don't make that your primary reason for choosing a profession.

Im not looking for pay.. Im looking for flexibility. My ideal job is working the graveyard (7pm -7am) shift where there is only a few staff around. Plus work on weekend is ideal for me b/c I tend to do most stuff during the week. Another thing is why spend money getting educated when you have a hospital pay for you while you go to school. You dont NEED to work. Sure there are scholarships in PT but I had more luck finding good nursing scholarships. Overall, Im happy and thats what matters the most.

The money issue is this. You will make money in PT or Nurse. I just like the fact that I can get my education done faster, have someone pay for it, dont have a huge debt to pay, and have a flexible schedule.

I did a lot of thinking before I made my decision. I weighed the good and the bad in each profession, and I made my choice.

I haven't been accepted anywhere, but I have 2 interviews in January.

GPA: 3.79
GRE: 1070 (low, but signed up and took it 2 days later)
Major: Psychology
Undergrad University: Louisiana State University
Applied: LSU New Orleans & LSU Shreveport
Experience: PTA for 17 years
LOR: 2 Physical Therapists with whom I worked

GPA: 3.29
GRE 1170
over 250 hours volunteering at a AIDS health Center as a Rehab Aide
Applied to 6 school
Accepted to 1 so far, Graduate College at Staten Island

GPA: 3.1
GRE: 1040
Major: Exercise Science
200 hours of volunteering experience with college athletes
Applied to 4 schools
So far one rejected me :( (they don't require personal interviews)
I got an interview on the 11th of Dec.

GPA: 3.67 (undergrad), 3.92 (graduate)
GRE: 1340
Major: Biology (undergrad), Kinesiology (graduate, M.S.)
Applied: LSU Shreveport

Accepted to LSU Shreveport!

GPA: 3.64
GRE: 1290
Major: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Applied to Northwestern, Wash U, VCU, ODU and Florida. Got in to Northwestern, waiting to hear from the others.

I have recently been accepted into Seton Hall Univ DPT program. I would love to hear from any students that have been accepted into the Class of 2011. I am currently in search of a roommate and housing. The department secretary usually distributes information for roommates but I have been unsuccessful on that end. If anyone is also seaerching for a roommate and apartments, let me know. Thanks.

to the op, what schools in illinois are you most interested in?

3.8/ 1100/ 3 LOR for phyiscal therapist, i also worked at a clinic as a PT aid for 3 years while as a under grad before applying to University at buffalo. Lucky for me my boss knew all the interviewers. Dont let my stats freak u out, my friend got in with a 2.9 on the wait list and a 1100 on the GRE. He didnt have any LORs for a physical therapist or experience except for teaching karate for 2 years. Trust me you dont need a super high GPA.

Exactly, some schools (usually big schools) I know take only 3.8 GPA or higher! they get so many apps they have no choice but to get the top GPA's/GRE. On the other hand, I know some people getting in with a 2.9 GPA in the smaller schools. Make sure you have good experience.
THank you smaller schools! lol

Hi,
Gen GPA 3.7; Req GPA 3.6/GRE 540V 670A (I think; I can't seem to remember my scores). Major: Bio; minor: Psych. 100+ hours in outpatient ortho as a PT aide and lots of volunteering. I applied to USC, Columbia, and NYU and got into all three.

In response to Gruesome, I don't think it's necessary to apply to all the schools in the world unless you feel very insecure about not getting into school. However, if your GPA is good (and like SuperKirby said, some schools have a min. GPA requirement, and it NEVER hurts to do well in school, and it shows the school that you're there academically and will make you that much more competitive), and you have PT exposure/experience, you should be fine. Make sure in your application that your passion for PT and why you want to be a PT comes through because in the end, it's not your academics that make you a great PT (although it's the foundation and helps you for your licensing exam), it's you and your passion for helping people that will make you a great PT. So make sure your recs, essay, and your interview are stellar. Everything else will just reinforce how great you are.

I would say, if you don't want to leave IL, apply to a couple IL schools, apply to a school you really want to go to (maybe your reach), and apply to a school you're confident you'll get into. I come from the NYC area, so I applied to NYC schools and USC (which I would love to go to, but alas, money is the root of all evil lol).

Best of luck with everything, and let me know if you need anything.

Ooh, rehabedge seems really helpful. Thanks for posting it!

Hi,
Gen GPA 3.7; Req GPA 3.6/GRE 540V 670A (I think; I can't seem to remember my scores). Major: Bio; minor: Psych. 100+ hours in outpatient ortho as a PT aide and lots of volunteering. I applied to USC, Columbia, and NYU and got into all three.

In response to Gruesome, I don't think it's necessary to apply to all the schools in the world unless you feel very insecure about not getting into school. However, if your GPA is good (and like SuperKirby said, some schools have a min. GPA requirement, and it NEVER hurts to do well in school, and it shows the school that you're there academically and will make you that much more competitive), and you have PT exposure/experience, you should be fine. Make sure in your application that your passion for PT and why you want to be a PT comes through because in the end, it's not your academics that make you a great PT (although it's the foundation and helps you for your licensing exam), it's you and your passion for helping people that will make you a great PT. So make sure your recs, essay, and your interview are stellar. Everything else will just reinforce how great you are.

I would say, if you don't want to leave IL, apply to a couple IL schools, apply to a school you really want to go to (maybe your reach), and apply to a school you're confident you'll get into. I come from the NYC area, so I applied to NYC schools and USC (which I would love to go to, but alas, money is the root of all evil lol).

Best of luck with everything, and let me know if you need anything.

did you end up accepting into NYU or Columbia?