Dr. Collins or PCAT destroyer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyhearts8071

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was thinking about retaking my PCAT sometime in the summer. I desperately need some good study materials. Dr. Collins Prep Material or PCAT destroyer??? Should I get the PCAT destroyer and the OChem Odyssey? which one's worth it? I really want to do good this time...

Members don't see this ad.

I actually just bought both PCAT Destroyer and Dr Collins PCAT prep. :oops:
I read major reviews that were positive for both. I had a friend us it for DAT destroyer and Kaplan Class. She said the Destroyer was by far the best material (Besides her textbooks) for studying... Sooooo I took a chance....
I will let you know what I think of the two!! I should get them in a week or so!!! :xf:

OK!! I got both PCAT Destroyer AND Dr. Collins PCAT Prep. :biglove: Here the breakdown and my initial thoughts...

PCAT DESTROYER:
Bound Notebook, 461 Pages, Typed
Set up As Problems then Worked out Solutions
Topics:
OChem, 119pg, 186 Problems
General Chemistry, 106g, 190 Problems
Biology, 119g, 367 Problems
Quantitative Reasoning, 85g, 144 Problems
Pre-Calculus/Calculus, 26g, 70 Problems
PROS:
* It is not "this is an element...this is a cell" basic, hold-your-hand-thought the-topics stuff.... this is "Lets TEST YOU on information you know!" Then go study what you don't know.
* TONS of questions!!
* I kept seeing "here a tick" or "some students get this wrong" or "Here is extra information", "Remember this formula or Key Words"! So the book helps with making sure you go in the right path and know why it is the right path.
* DETAILED on how they worked the solutions!! I don't know OChem and I could follow the solutions (may not have the vocab yet...but easy to follow).
* Humorous...yes, you heard me (er, read it)...there was some funny areas when they explanations were silly, but very effective. (Gen Chem and "Homer", endothermic and exothermic ... him freezing or not...really funny.)
* Some of the solutions explained the correct answer and then explained why the others were wrong. (REALLY REALLY GREAT!!!)

CONS:
* This is NOT a talking about the subject book... it is ONLY testing! (I find this a pro...but some may not). We ALL have textbooks...go read them!
* There is no Reading Comp, Essay, or Vocab information. (They do say this on their website so there was NO misguided information on what you were getting).
* In the Quantitative Reasoning, the solutions were a little "Thrown and cramped". For example, for many steps the solutions were typed as one lines not like we see in textbooks...IDK if this is how the PCAT is or not. (Not a big con...I am a little OCD...so this just might be my preference)

Since I am REALLY worried about the OChem portion (I am going to be in the middle of OChem 1 when I take the PCAT) I also got Organic Chemistry Odyssey. It can be bought with the PCAT destroyer, same author.

ORGANIC CHEMISTRY ODYSSEY:
511pages, Bound. Problem then Solutions formate. Problems are typed, the solutions are writting out (suprisingly I like it better...not too bad of handwritting either!)

20 Chapters...to many to type...if anyone wants to know the topics, let me know. Between 20-50 problems per topic.

I know nothing about OChem...so my view is kind worthless here...

DR. COLLINS PCAT PREP:
Loose left sheets that come in packets.

Topics:
Essay - 4 pages total. Intro on what to avoid, outline, stucture. 2 pages of toics to write about. Bonus: One essay (choosen topic) will be evaluated for free.
Biology - 23 page overall "refresher" of topics. Includes 8 practice exams, 42 questions each.
Quantitative - 29 pages. Refresher of typical topics, including basic Calc and Statisitics. Answers are on bottom of page. Followed by 5 Exams.
Chemistry - 47 pages, 24 Topics. Mostly typed, but some follow up in writting (structure is fine!) Refresher not a textbook. Followed by 9 Exams (includes worked solutions).
Verbal - 141 words in a PCAT Analogy style (ie, Bell is to Chimes as Telephone is to Rings). 8 pages of Analogies Vocab List. Followed by 7 Exams.
Reading - 1 page intro to this section. 5 Exams

PROS:
* Intro/refresher section in most subjects.
* A LOT of exams!! I find this great, not just one big book, but actually about to test yourself WITH time as a factor. To my understanding the time is an issue on the PCATs for most.
* Different contrubutors that you can email of your questions!
* Make sure you were on the right path when explaining the answers (on some subjects).
* Covers ALL subjects!
* Able to have one essay evaluated so you can work on your writing.

CONS:
* Loose Paper (might be my preference again...but...It would have been nice if it was more organized then in envelopes).
* Wish the Chemistry Section was a bit heavier, but they do a good job hitting alot of tipics.

Final thoughts. I find both to be very good in PCAT Prep. Both have this Pros that are different (and similar). Both cover a large veritiy of topics in each subject. If you want a book to see what you know and what you need to work on, PCAT Destroyer is for you. If you want review material and then test with time Dr. Collins is for you.
Either way..both are GREAT resourses to have. I am very happy I purchased both and hope that I can report that I did great on the PCATs in October!!!!!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Tiffany :rofl:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Just an update from all different study material! Dr. Collins study material is the BEST study guide out of ALL the different material I have. Kaplan is more details than you really need. Barron is WAY to easy. PCAT destroyer I used it a lot, useful...However...Dr. Collins is PERFECT!! I went up 21% studying that material exclusively the second time I took it!

Tiffany

Great feedback Tiffany! I was debating about purchasing the PCAT Destroyer because I have already purchased Dr. Collins' material. Since I'm mainly looking for practice tests to take before the January PCAT, I'll stick to studying Dr. Collins' guide.

Thanks!
Nick

There were some subjects covered on the PCAT that were completely ignored by Dr. Collins. Some of his information was also not 100% accurate. These issues may have been addressed in the January update, but Dr. Collins no longer sends that for free due to illegal redistribution of his study materials (this is rampant on these boards). The updates now cost $20, which is unfortunate.

I also bought the PCAT Destroyer but have not looked at it extensively. I do like the organization of the Destroyer a lot better though.

Conclusion: There is no ONE PCAT study source that should be used exclusively.

I do advise the Pearson online exams as well. They give you good insight into the types of questions that may be asked, but be careful when interpreting your results.

For those of you that have used Dr.Collins study guide. I was wondering how helpful it was and it's comparison to the actual PCAT.