Dr. Collins PCAT Self-Study Guide Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sg25

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Okay guys--I just ordered the Dr. Collins PCAT Self-Study review. I was told that it ships out priority mail, and should be here in three days...Let's hope so...I'm ready to get cracking on the studying!

I just ordered the self study kit from Dr. Collins. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to receive the materials after ordering?

I am thinking of ordering this also, but plan on taking PCAT in the summer of '09. Do you feel that this will be updated before then, or am I okay to go ahead and study from this.

I wouldn't imagine a lot would change, but you never know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed that under the Privacy Agreement portion of the registration form, it says:

The undersigned student of the PCAT Prep Class agrees not to share, in any manner, with individuals not registered for the class nor to reproduce, in any form, for the purposing of such sharing, at the present time or in the future, the various materials provided as part of the PCAT Prep Class. In turn The PCAT Prep Class agrees to provide to said student, upon request and free of charge, any and all new material that may, in the future, be developed for the PCAT Prep Class. Requests for new material must be received at least one month prior to the next exam date. We are unable to honor requests after the one month period because you will not have sufficient time to study. In addition, said student may retake the PCAT Prep Class for the nominal fee of $40.00.

So if for instance I am planning on taking the PCAT in Summer 2010, does that mean that I can purchase the self-study package sometime in 2009 and be able to request new additional material into 2010 free of charge? Or would I have to register again and pay $40?

I noticed that under the Privacy Agreement portion of the registration form, it says:

The undersigned student of the PCAT Prep Class agrees not to share, in any manner, with individuals not registered for the class nor to reproduce, in any form, for the purposing of such sharing, at the present time or in the future, the various materials provided as part of the PCAT Prep Class. In turn The PCAT Prep Class agrees to provide to said student, upon request and free of charge, any and all new material that may, in the future, be developed for the PCAT Prep Class. Requests for new material must be received at least one month prior to the next exam date. We are unable to honor requests after the one month period because you will not have sufficient time to study. In addition, said student may retake the PCAT Prep Class for the nominal fee of $40.00.

So if for instance I am planning on taking the PCAT in Summer 2010, does that mean that I can purchase the self-study package sometime in 2009 and be able to request new additional material into 2010 free of charge? Or would I have to register again and pay $40?
That's good to know. I guess that answers my question. I will go ahead and order it, and about 2 months before my test (2009), I will request any updates just in case.

I jump from 10% to 99%. Super package, boost your score, money back gaurantee!!

That's a Bold face LIE u said u made in the 80's and u never said u made 10% plus ur score would've never been sent to any pharmacy school until they clear u since u made over a 50% jump. Second several people who took the practice test still did bad and ur not guareenteed back ur money in all cases bc i know they have changed things up somewhat. Look at 5mins previous post to prove that what he says is a lie.

Collins course was great. my first score was a 66 and my second was 84.
It got me into pharmacy school! good luck guys, the whole process is stressful but worth it!

the truth about 5minutes score was that he jumped from a 39% composite to 80% composite which is still a very big jump but within the 50% increase.

it is still a 41% increase.

Yeah, I'm also wondering. I sent them e-mail about it so I'll let you know what their reply is.

Yeah, I'm also wondering. I sent them e-mail about it so I'll let you know what their reply is.

I think it means that you can have the new materials sent to you for free, but you would have to pay $40 if you wanted to attend the actual class again.

I received an email from Dr. Collins last night, and it said that they update the content for each PCAT exam year . He said that if you purchase the self study item and you need the update, they will send it to you for free.

I think that I will go ahead and order mine today.

- Glenn

Here's the reply I got from Dr. Collins, hope it helps:

If you sign up for the Self-Study and then wish to take the class later, you pay the difference between the class fee ($480) and the Self-Study fee ($300) to upgrade to the class, that comes to $180. The $40 fee is for people who have already taken the class and paid the full fee, and wish to retake the class. After January first, prices are going up some but if you sign up before the first you can have both the Self-Study and, down the road, the class fees that are now in place.

Thanks for sharing the info, Pharmky -- I forgot to ask him how often the material is updated. I think I'll get a headstart and order mine now, too.

Everyone, the money you pay is worth the investment. I have heard and known friends who took his class and improved significantly. Remember Kaplan costs much more. Go for Dr. Collin.

Members don't see this ad :)
is anyone willing to sell their dr collins self study books or where can i get it cuz this pharmacy school apps hv made me broke as eva!!! help!!

Everyone, the money you pay is worth the investment. I have heard and known friends who took his class and improved significantly. Remember Kaplan costs much more. Go for Dr. Collin.

I took PCAT for the first time in August 08 after studying Dr. Collin's self study packet (twice) for 3 months. I got 91 composite, with 98 bio, 97 chem and 87 math (63 or smt like that in Verbal and screwed up Reading since i didnt practice at all for Reading part), but still I did really well on the Science portions. And so far ive got accepted to 4 great schools! Although i did review organic chem in my textbook, i must say Dr. Collins is very helpful in explaining some concepts in Chem that I forgot or didnt fully understand. Sometimes i emailed him 5 times/day and got all i needed to know in the same day! I highly recommend Dr. Collin! Btw, I got updated materials for FREE.

Last edited:
I took PCAT for the first time in August 08 after studying Dr. Collin's self study packet (twice) for 3 months. I got 91 composite, with 98 bio, 97 chem and 87 math (63 or smt like that in Verbal and screwed up Reading since i didnt practice at all for Reading part), but still I did really well on the Science portions. And so far ive got accepted to 4 great schools! Although i did review organic chem in my textbook, i must say Dr. Collins is very helpful in explaining some concepts in Chem that I forgot or didnt fully understand. Sometimes i emailed him 5 times/day and got all i needed to know in the same day! I highly recommend Dr. Collin! Btw, I got updated materials for FREE.
how did u get them for free??? do u still hv them or the books to sell?

You have to first pay for the self-study package, which will then be mailed to you. After that, you can request future updated material for free.
do you hv the books or kno anyone dat does? cuz im close to broke from all these apps to spend another 300 dols

I did not take his class but I live close to him and he is one of my friend's professor. I must say he is famous over here.

Wow..this is really expensive. Is there anyone hear who doesn't need it anymore and is willing to sell it?

how long did it take you to recieve it lsexie?

Last edited:
Just a quick update.

I took the Jan PCAT and I thought the material covered in Collins was pretty much on par on what I saw in the actual exam. Good stuff!

Last edited:
Does this material help with the verbal section? I am giving myself 4 months to study and really don't want to waste my money on Kaplan. Can anyone tell me the best way to study?????

I'm specifically interested in the math materials. Does it cover enough to do well on the PCAT or are you going to have to find supplemental materials on your own?

I'm specifically interested in the math materials. Does it cover enough to do well on the PCAT or are you going to have to find supplemental materials on your own?
If you practice until master the math materials, you certainly will get above 80s (like me ^_^)

The review materials (specifically for math) are very helpful. My only criticism of the math section was that there were relatively few practice problems for the math section vs. the other sections.

I would suggest using Dr. Collin's math section for learning the material but would suggest using something like Schaum's College Algebra and Schaum's Precalculus for additional practice problems to build up speed.

You are not allowed to sell this materials. It is a private study. Please respect Dr. Collin because he has spent too much efforts and money to have this for you to study. Respect him.

You are not allowed to sell this materials. It is a private study. Please respect Dr. Collin because he has spent too much efforts and money to have this for you to study. Respect him.

So, How about students who purchased textbook for class and then resale them after finish? Does that consider as disrespect to the author? Hummm....

If anyone's wondering about 5minutes' post, it specifically says on the registration form:

Privacy Agreement

What sort of guides is included in the Dr. Collin's guide? Is it a review book like Kaplans? How much material for review are we looking at?

So, How about students who purchased textbook for class and then resale them after finish? Does that consider as disrespect to the author? Hummm....

No, however before you purchase the package, you have to sign the policy that you will not sell or share it with anyone else. Then, you will disrespect the author when you sell it, and violate what you sign on the paper.

No, however before you purchase the package, you have to sign the policy that you will not sell or share it with anyone else. Then, you will disrespect the author when you sell it, and violate what you sign on the paper.

do they make you sign before you order the collin book? if this is true then this book is special :laugh: any book can be resold.

For those of you have used the study guide and taken a recent PCAT, how much of the verbal stuff was taken directly from the study guide and put on the PCAT? Because I absolutely suck at this section LOL.

For those of you have used the study guide and taken a recent PCAT, how much of the verbal stuff was taken directly from the study guide and put on the PCAT? Because I absolutely suck at this section LOL.

Unfortunately this cannot be answered, as it violates PCAT discussion rules. But I will say that Collins verbal tests are similar to what I saw in the actual exam in terms of difficulty.

Can someone tell me all the materials the package includes in detail. I cannot find that information in the main site.