Dr. Collins PCAT Self-Study Guide Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sg25

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It includes study guides for biology, chemistry, quantitative, verbal, and tips for reading and writing. The study guides have problems (with an attached sheet of answers). Then there are the practice tests for each section. I think 8 separate exams for the bio and chem, and 4 for math...I forget how many for verbal. The practice exams are what helped me the most.

Dr Collins study guide was very helpful. I also used Cliffs 5 practice tests, REA flash cards and my textbooks. Please send me a message if you are interested in purchasing any of this. I need the cash :laugh:. And price is always negotiable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard many people that dr.collins self study is old now and not helping anymore since the pcat has changed. I want to take PCAT in August. I have kaplan books but i just want to be sure about dr.collins. Anyone who has taken the latest pcat using dr.collins , plz tell your experience and results.

I have heard many people that dr.collins self study is old now and not helping anymore since the pcat has changed. I want to take PCAT in August. I have kaplan books but i just want to be sure about dr.collins. Anyone who has taken the latest pcat using dr.collins , plz tell your experience and results.

Read through the whole thread. You will read many experiences relevant to recent PCATs. Many people, including me, took the PCAT with much help from Dr. Collins. His packet is not old...in fact he sends you updated material each time they get new information (he did that twice in the span of 2 months for me).

I took the PCAT this past January, and I can attest that his packet was more useful than Kaplan.

Read through the whole thread. You will read many experiences relevant to recent PCATs. Many people, including me, took the PCAT with much help from Dr. Collins. His packet is not old...in fact he sends you updated material each time they get new information (he did that twice in the span of 2 months for me).

I took the PCAT this past January, and I can attest that his packet was more useful than Kaplan.

Did you use the Dr. Collins study guide and nothing else though? Like, if I were to study EVERYTHING from Dr. Collins and that's it, should I expect a good score? Or is it a good idea to look at other sources like Kaplan? Because for instance, I skimmed over the Bio study guide from Dr. Collins and it seems to give you very little information and knowledge regarding Bio. But on the other hand, Kaplan does a very detailed and thorough job covering the subject.

thats what text books are for. For reference. Dr Collin's study guide highlights what you should focus on. Kaplan is lacking in in many areas as well. e.g in quantitative & O-chem. You can't seriouly expect to use just one study material. you have to use several. How can you reasonable expect one study guide to cover all the subject areas tested by the PCAT. find me that one guide.

The best way to prepare for the pcat is to take tons of practice exams. I think thats what dr collins provides.

Actually yes, I only used Dr. Collins for my January exam. I barely reviewed my class notes and did not use any other study material leading up to the exam. I used the Kaplan book for my August exam last year and got a bad score. IMO, Kaplan is not worth it because it does not cover quantitative, chemistry, reading, etc. enough even though it is strong in biology....maybe it covers biology too much. I feel Collins covers a very accurate amount of information that is likely to be on the test; nothing too much or too little. Just remember that the PCAT is not as difficult as the MCAT, so a basic knowledge of each subject will help you take the exam. The PCAT is set up to "test your reasoning instead of your rote memorization".

It also helps if you completed at least Bio One and Two (although I'm taking BioTwo after the fact and scored a 91 on the Biology section using Collins alone) and up to Organic One before taking the exam.

Of course this was just my experience. Each person learns differently. A combination of reviewing and studying different material would not hurt.

For how long does Dr.Collins send update material. For example, if i buy the material now and take the August PCAT 09 and then want to taken in next year's June. So that's nearly one year. Does he updates u for the entire year or do you have send any fees?
Also if you didn't take organic I , does collins guide enough.:D

For how long does Dr.Collins send update material. For example, if i buy the material now and take the August PCAT 09 and then want to taken in next year's June. So that's nearly one year. Does he updates u for the entire year or do you have send any fees?
Also if you didn't take organic I , does collins guide enough.:D

If you didn't take organic I, Dr. Collins won't be that much of a help. It only offers about 10 pages on orgo. So you should definately take organic I

yes. It has explanations. If you need further explanation, you can email Dr Collins and he gets back to you within 24hrs

I just want to say thanku to everyone for posting up there opinons about Dr.Collins, I've taken the Pcat and has gotten very mediocre scores, so I'll be purchasing this Friday, and its definitely the cheaper route considering that I was thinking about taking Kaplan:D

Members don't see this ad :)
so is this guide mostly practice? since other posters have said the review sections are minimal in content....how many practice exams does it have?

There are like 9 chemistry tests, 7 verbal, 8 biology, 4 Quantitative, & 5 Reading Comp

Hey KB9 I was wondering if you could send me dr.collins email, i purchased the packet and was wondering how long it was going to take for the package to get too my house... it'll be nice if you could get back to me...thanx

Not really.

This isn't some savior package at all. It just serves as a nice review for those of us who has already taken the pre-requisite courses.

Doing well on the PCAT depends on how committed you are to your studying. Many friends that I know got in the 90 percentile just by doing the Kaplan book alone.

I hope that helped.

There are practice exams for the verbal. You should use this with other study materials like kaplan

how many pages does the book contains? is there only one book? Do we have to contact him to send the updated material?

I am assuming that this packet does not cover mathematics? Can anyone confirm this? It doesn't say on the site.

Thanks,
Willy

The study guide includes Math, Chemistry, Biology, Verbal and Reading packages. Each package has a review section and a bunch of practice tests for each subtest. This package was very helpful for me. I increased about 40% in PCAT because of this package. Now that i got in my dream pharmacy school, so i want to sell this package to help others as well!!!

Where is Dr. Collins lacking?
Verbal, Bio, Gen. Chem, O. Chem, Reading Comprehension, or Quantitive ability?????

I haven't heard anything regarding the Essays for the PCAT for Dr. Collins

What would you use in place of what is lacking from Dr. Collins? Was it sucessful for you??

Please share your Jan 09 PCAT Score using Dr. Collins.

Dr. Collins trend has decrease throughout the year, however I was just wondering if anything has changed this past January 09, if anyone had success using Dr. Collins.

If so, what was your score? What else did you use and did it work well for you?

what are the updates? I bought collins study guide 2nd hand and have the 2008 edition. I keep seeing Jan. updates on this forum but have no clue what they are. can someone please send me some info on the updates? Thanx

Hey guys what do you think about the PCAT destroyer? I want to do really well on the PCATs and I'm not sure if I should just focus on the Dr. Collins (which I need to buy still) or if I should get a bunch of different materials. What do you guys think?

28 posts relating to buying and/or selling Dr. Collins course have been moved to the classifieds section. Please use this thread to discuss to strengths and/or weaknesses of Dr Collin's course, but if you would like to buy or sell, use the appropriate forum (the current thread in classifieds is titled Dr Collins PCAT review course if you are interested)

If you intend to post advertisements, these are limited to the Classifieds forum (link at top of page). Please do not advertise in this thread or forum. Advertisements outside of classifieds will be moved to the classifieds section.

what are the updates? I bought collins study guide 2nd hand and have the 2008 edition. I keep seeing Jan. updates on this forum but have no clue what they are. can someone please send me some info on the updates? Thanx

yeah i have the 2008 edition too; for some strange reason, the quantitative ability section also has notes on geometry, which is not part of the PCAT anymore....:confused:...and there is nothing included about algebra...:confused:

was it updated later on?

Are they just practice exams or review of all the different sections? Can I just study the Dr. Collins materials really hard and in detail and do well on the pCAT?

Hi everyone,
I just bought a Dr.Collins self study from someone on this forum. How do I know that I purchased the right materials since this is not a book and just a photocopies? Please help me out. thanks

Hi Agentzero,
can you tell me how many pages for math, chem, quant,and verbal and how many practice problems set for each sections. thanks for your help!!!

chem: 47 pages ---practice tests 9
biology: 23pages---practice tests 8
reading: 5 (practice test)
verbal: 7(practice tests) and 11 pages of analogies
math: 29 pages --- practice tests 5

Last edited: