Dr. Collins PCAT Self-Study Guide Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sg25

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It will most likely be the same style. The last big change was in 2004, and it's been basically the same since then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the process of buying Dr. Collins SG second hand and don't want to be ripped off. I know that 2009 January update doesn't have a geometry section. Other then that is there anything else thats different than the 2008 one.

I don't think there's anything different except the update. I'm studying with it right now also. The update is 6 pages, a couple add on pages to each.

I just recently purchased Dr. Collins PCAT Prep Self Study Guide on June 2009 for $325.00, and no longer needed. If anyone's interested in these material, please contact PM me. I am willing to let it goes for $200.00

I purchased it on this Feb. Mine and yours are the same materials or not?

hey guys, i live in fort lauderdale near one of the sites where they hold the courses, and was wondering if you guys recommend it? so far all i've read is people using the packets...

has anyone taken the actual course?

Hey KB9 I was wondering if you could send me dr.collins email, i purchased the packet and was wondering how long it was going to take for the package to get too my house... it'll be nice if you could get back to me...thanx

I was wondering how long it ended up taking you to get the packet? I just ordered mine today and I'm wondering when I can expect it to arrive

I was wondering how long it ended up taking you to get the packet? I just ordered mine today and I'm wondering when I can expect it to arrive

Never mind. I got the packet. If anyone else is wondering about delivery time, I ordered it on a Tuesday around noon (EST), and received it in Delaware on Friday.

wow, i'm very tempted to get this now. will have to put aside $315 incase i'm seriously disappointed by my june scores.

I hope that I can get this package in Canada as well.

But it seems to be overly expensive compared to the Kaplan book which is only $50. But if it really improves your skills, it would be well worth it.

Finally, I have a few questions from you guys:

1) Did anyone start practicing using Collin's before they even start their first year pre-requisites?
2) Has anyone even written PCAT in their first year, before even taking organic chem? If yes, how did you do and how did you study for it?
3) Do you think grade 11 and 12 chem and bio notes would be beneficial if studied?

Thanks in advance :D

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not gonna be worth it anymore. Because PCAT people, they read these boards and some dudes posted about how the content on Collins is really "similar" to that of the actual PCAT. Therefore, they are going to take measures to change it differently, hence the out of the world in your face biology section that the June 09 PCATers experienced.

It's not gonna be worth it anymore. Because PCAT people, they read these boards and some dudes posted about how the content on Collins is really "similar" to that of the actual PCAT. Therefore, they are going to take measures to change it differently, hence the out of the world in your face biology section that the June 09 PCATers experienced.

can anybody else chime in on this matter? because i took the june pcat and just bought the collins from someone else. this is going to be a real doozie if it's no good.

but when i took the june pcat, i only used kaplan so i can't compare to how different the test content is from collins.

can anybody else chime in on this matter? because i took the june pcat and just bought the collins from someone else. this is going to be a real doozie if it's no good.

but when i took the june pcat, i only used kaplan so i can't compare to how different the test content is from collins.

How did you feel about the PCAT when used KAPLAN book.. I have the 07 book and am using that to study and as well as collins.. how did u feel about kaplan?

How did you feel about the PCAT when used KAPLAN book.. I have the 07 book and am using that to study and as well as collins.. how did u feel about kaplan?

kaplan is horrible! no sense of direction as far as what subjects to study. felt like a review of all the bio prereq classes. so i felt really bad about the PCAT. i usually do really well in bio classes but with so much material to cover, i wasn't able to concentrate on anything and feel confident. i barely finished or ended up randomly guessing on each of the sections while others sat there with excess time on their hands.

Oh that's sad :(

Can someone who has recently done the PCAT and used Collin's comment on this issue as well ???:confused:

I disagree with this. The Dr. Collins average composite scores have been declining since 04; this thread was made in late 08 I believe. So the notion of PCAT people reading these boards and then making the exam harder is impossible since the scores have been decreasing for years now. And also, I think that the exam has been getting a little harder each year because the number of test takers increase by a good amount each year, and therefore the exam needs to be more challenging to weed out more people. It would be a mess if everyone was killing the PCAT.

And one last thing. If you have been reading these boards then you will see that a lot of people who took the Jun PCAT and studied using Dr. Collins felt that the package still helped tremendously. A lot of people have said that the chem, verbal, and math sections were pretty similar to the real exam. So yes, the package seems to be definitely worth it. However, I would just not use this alone. Use it with other study guides like Kaplan, Pearson etc. and I think you should be fine.

I disagree with this. The Dr. Collins average composite scores have been declining since 04; this thread was made in late 08 I believe. So the notion of PCAT people reading these boards and then making the exam harder is impossible since the scores have been decreasing for years now. And also, I think that the exam has been getting a little harder each year because the number of test takers increase by a good amount each year, and therefore the exam needs to be more challenging to weed out more people. It would be a mess if everyone was killing the PCAT.

And one last thing. If you have been reading these boards then you will see that a lot of people who took the Jun PCAT and studied using Dr. Collins felt that the package still helped tremendously. A lot of people have said that the chem, verbal, and math sections were pretty similar to the real exam. So yes, the package seems to be definitely worth it. However, I would just not use this alone. Use it with other study guides like Kaplan, Pearson etc. and I think you should be fine.
Thank you for your informative and through post :D

I jump from 10% to 99%. Super package, boost your score, money back gaurantee!!

hey i just bought the package from someone else.but it does not say dr. collin, so how do i know it's his...bcz none my friend has it. plz let me know

hey i just bought dr collin's study guide but it does not say dr. collins anywhere.....worried about that...bought from another student...on the biology it says dr. steven obenauf

trust me, dr collins still has his magic! i had taken the pcat twice and got a 49 and 53. i studied dr collins ONLY for about a month before june 2009 pcat and just got my scores back! i got an 84! my verbal went from 24 to 89. reading went from 35 to 73. math went from 52 to 73. and chem went from 66 to 88! this packet is def still worth it!

trust me, dr collins still has his magic! i had taken the pcat twice and got a 49 and 53. i studied dr collins ONLY for about a month before june 2009 pcat and just got my scores back! i got an 84! my verbal went from 24 to 89. reading went from 35 to 73. math went from 52 to 73. and chem went from 66 to 88! this packet is def still worth it!

Did you only study from the dr. collin's packet? I have about a month left before the august PCAT and I still don't really know if I need to be studying from Kaplan in addition to dr collin's --especially for bio. thanks!!

Did you only study from the dr. collin's packet? I have about a month left before the august PCAT and I still don't really know if I need to be studying from Kaplan in addition to dr collin's --especially for bio. thanks!!

philapharm ill get back to you tonight around 9, i am at work currently.
-Tatodotcom

I am in the same boat you was right now... I REALLY need help in my verbal because I scored very low... how does Dr. Collins help you with the verbal.. Does it give you root words to expand vocab or what? Thanks.

Congratulations! :)
Did you really study only the Collin's packet? I took the first pcat on Jan 2009, but the score was same as you had on the first and second trial. I also purchased the packet from someone who was in this forum, and I am studying it now. I am going to take the second test on Aug. I am so so nervous. Especially, I was really bad on the verbal section. I am just studying the verbal practice tests and sometimes memorize SAT&GRE verbs in parellel. I do not expect the good score which I want if I do not
study hard. However, I want to make my score doubled, above 80%.

I did very bad on my june pcat and I am also looking for something to improve my score by a lot. This sounds really tempting and I'm thinking of buying it for my August Pcat..

Do you guys think I can finish the Dr. Collins thing before my Aug 22nd pcat? Because I have already read most of the material for bio/chem in kaplan. I just need serious help in verbal and math..

I did very bad on my june pcat and I am also looking for something to improve my score by a lot. This sounds really tempting and I'm thinking of buying it for my August Pcat..

Do you guys think I can finish the Dr. Collins thing before my Aug 22nd pcat? Because I have already read most of the material for bio/chem in kaplan. I just need serious help in verbal and math..

yes i think it would help you. You would just need to devote time to studying every day. good luck!

Has anyone taken Dr Collins PCAT prep class for the january 2009 or June 2009 Pcat I want to know if the package really helped you guys and if yes do anyone have the package for sale right now I want to take the PCAT in October but I need to get the proper preparation for this exam

Hi there,
I just read all the posts regarding the Dr. Collins study guide and they were very helpful to me. I m thinking on buying the study guide, but I want to know when is the right time to buy it. I am planning on taking the PCAT by the end of next year (end of 2010). so when is the right time to buy it. I want to start studying and I m concern if it is a wise idea to get the study guide now (august 09). Let me know, anyone bc I want to start studying now.
Thanks!

Can someone tell me what is in the dr. collins packet? Like its it all practice exams?

Reviews of all the sections, and multiple practice exams for each review. Seems pretty good for me. If anyone is going to need it after the Oct exam, I'd want to sell mine then! (ie. if they want to study for the Jan exam)

Reviews of all the sections, and multiple practice exams for each review. Seems pretty good for me. If anyone is going to need it after the Oct exam, I'd want to sell mine then! (ie. if they want to study for the Jan exam)

Is it really important to get the most up to date version of dr collins study guide? Is it ok if I used the Jan 09 version if taking it in Jan 10?

i doubt it matters. i just got the june update and it was only a few pages long.. nothing seemed very important.. they were all just more example questions.

Hi Im new in here :)...so I just bought the Dr collin self study guide and received it in the mail like yesterday. all the practise tests look really helpful but then the preparation for the biology is only like...30 pages? This is the first time i made the purchase on Dr collin study guide so I was just wondering if it for real only has 30 pages for the biology section? Because compare to what the kaplan book covers for Biology, it makes huge difference there ( like...Kaplan book has half of the pages on Biology )
Should I just go with Dr Collin thing? or the Kaplan one?

Hi Im new in here :)...so I just bought the Dr collin self study guide and received it in the mail like yesterday. all the practise tests look really helpful but then the preparation for the biology is only like...30 pages? This is the first time i made the purchase on Dr collin study guide so I was just wondering if it for real only has 30 pages for the biology section? Because compare to what the kaplan book covers for Biology, it makes huge difference there ( like...Kaplan book has half of the pages on Biology )
Should I just go with Dr Collin thing? or the Kaplan one?

Study both....the Collin study guide is just a general guide of important things you may need to know, whereas the Kaplan book gives very very detailed explanations....

I was wondering if I should invest $1200 for the Kaplan live online class once a week till the Jan. PCAT test? or Dr. Collins study guide? I have no idea how to get a hold of them. please help.

aloha

i think $1200 for kaplan is a waste of money. I too was going to take the class but i ended up buying Dr. collins packets and study on my own which was cheaper and well worth it.

Please be aware that the Collins study guides clearly state on the website that they are not for resale. It's part of the agreement signed on the original purchase form. Hence requests for or ads to sell these materials are being deleted when spotted.

I have a question for everyone that used Dr. Collin's prep material. When you were taking the practice exams, what scores were you receiving and how did that correlate to your pcat results?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Please be aware that the Collins study guides clearly state on the website that they are not for resale. It's part of the agreement signed on the original purchase form. Hence requests for or ads to sell these materials are being deleted when spotted.

What is the official web site to purchase the self-study package?
thanks