Dream Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBA300

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering what some of your dream jobs would be in public health. I'm also wondering how many currently work in public health and how many will be entering public health for the first time upon completing the degree.

Members don't see this ad.

now all you need is the MD to top it off

Members don't see this ad :)
now all you need is the MD to top it off

No interest in clinical practice, thanks!

That's not true. He (or she) can be a PI without having gone to Medical School.

Heh, I think he was just trying to suggest that I'm "farming" degrees :laugh: Theoretically, I could also get a MS after my 2nd year of classes if I feel like doing a "mini-thesis", although already coming in with a MPH, it's probably redundant. Although there's something to be said about being, Stories, MPH, MS, PhD :p.

It would be Stories, Ph.D., MPH/MS, MPH/MS

The order is usually most prestigious -> least! :p

One of my hopefully soon be to be research advisors is Ph.D, M.S, M.S ;) I hope to get my mph, then head off to get a medical degree. I want to work in preventative care, at a community level, while having a medical practice ( and hopefully doing a little research on the side). I basically want to be a very proactive physician, and work with communities to help strengthen them, and make them more healthy.

I forgot to mention mine

I, too, want to be a PI, but would like to study community/group decision making and its effects on public health--escalation effects, sunk cost effects, decisions under uncertainty, etc. It's mixing my love of behavioral economics with my newfound interest in PH.

hoping to get my law degree after and either work in the u.s. department of health and human services as a policy maker or get some kind of congressional legislative position in healthcare

I forgot to mention mine

I, too, want to be a PI, but would like to study community/group decision making and its effects on public health--escalation effects, sunk cost effects, decisions under uncertainty, etc. It's mixing my love of behavioral economics with my newfound interest in PH.

Sounds like you're a great fit for social behavioral sciences.

sarcasm??

Um....no. An MD is not required for anything except for being a clinical doctor. You can be a PI with a PhD....actually....I've have never met a PI without a PhD...the ones who were MD's were Md/PhD's

That being said...

My dream job would be to work as a lead epidemiologist for the CDC in Atlanta working with perinatal/reproductive issues. My work would be in birth defects ideally. I want to help save babies! :thumbup:

Um....no. An MD is not required for anything except for being a clinical doctor. You can be a PI with a PhD....actually....I've have never met a PI without a PhD...the ones who were MD's were Md/PhD's

That being said...

My dream job would be to work as a lead epidemiologist for the CDC in Atlanta working with perinatal/reproductive issues. My work would be in birth defects ideally. I want to help save babies! :thumbup:

DUDE chill out...i was being sarcastic.....wow

DUDE chill out...i was being sarcastic.....wow

I wasn't...."un-chilled". I honestly thought you didn't know. There are quite a few people out there who believe only MD's can do anything. I was trying to be helpful.

Your "sarcasm" comment I interpreted as you were asking if that person was being sarcastic. This is the internet, subtlety is lost. Apparently Stories misunderstood you as well.

There is really no reason to be an ass about it. If you insist, then maybe you could refrain from posting useless comments where the only point is to be sarcastic or to gain some silly sense of self importance.

No interest in clinical practice, thanks!

Heh, I think he was just trying to suggest that I'm "farming" degrees :laugh: Theoretically, I could also get a MS after my 2nd year of classes if I feel like doing a "mini-thesis", although already coming in with a MPH, it's probably redundant. Although there's something to be said about being, Stories, MPH, MS, PhD :p.

i think stories understood what i was saying....you didnt

Wow.. most of u know what u want to do with the MPH degree..!! I have a BS in public health Sci. and i wanted 2 apply to dental schools..but i dint get a good score.. so instead of wasting time taking DATs and not having a degree..am taking my GREs and ll get into an MPH prog!
Epidemiology was an interesting aspect of PH.. but i dont know how it is as a career ?!can u like focus on epi while at school, get some work ex. for a few yrs and then get your MBA ???

Wow.. most of u know what u want to do with the MPH degree..!! I have a BS in public health Sci. and i wanted 2 apply to dental schools..but i dint get a good score.. so instead of wasting time taking DATs and not having a degree..am taking my GREs and ll get into an MPH prog!
Epidemiology was an interesting aspect of PH.. but i dont know how it is as a career ?!can u like focus on epi while at school, get some work ex. for a few yrs and then get your MBA ???

You need to stop and think. What is it that you ultimately want to do? What job do you want in the future? Personally, I think studying Epi for two years and then going off into something buisness related seems kinda like a waste of time, unless you have reason for doing it. Everyone I know and work with who is in Epi is in it for the long haul. They all either have PhD's or are working on and MS or PhD. So I don't really know much about job prospects with an MPH in Epi.

If you want ot be a dentist you still can be. You can get your grades up and do well. Don't assume Public Health is easy either and use it as a fall-back plan. Get your grades up anyways. Try getting a job or volunteering in Public Health to give yourself an idea of what its about. Try to figure out what you actually want to do instead of just getting random degrees.

You need to stop and think. What is it that you ultimately want to do? What job do you want in the future? Personally, I think studying Epi for two years and then going off into something buisness related seems kinda like a waste of time, unless you have reason for doing it. Everyone I know and work with who is in Epi is in it for the long haul. They all either have PhD's or are working on and MS or PhD. So I don't really know much about job prospects with an MPH in Epi.

If you want ot be a dentist you still can be. You can get your grades up and do well. Don't assume Public Health is easy either and use it as a fall-back plan. Get your grades up anyways. Try getting a job or volunteering in Public Health to give yourself an idea of what its about. Try to figure out what you actually want to do instead of just getting random degrees.

Are you trying to say that an MPH w/ conc. on epi. is not a good option? It's not that i dont have good grades to apply to dental schools.. it's just that i dont want to waste 1 more yr and take the DAT next yr to apply for 2011..With a BS in PH..the job scenario is not that good.. u have to start w/ interships [usually unpaid]..and then u might get a perm. position.. That is why i was looking into getting an MPH [perhaps an MBA later to get at the higher end of the scale... ?]..

Are you trying to say that an MPH w/ conc. on epi. is not a good option? It's not that i dont have good grades to apply to dental schools.. it's just that i dont want to waste 1 more yr and take the DAT next yr to apply for 2011..With a BS in PH..the job scenario is not that good.. u have to start w/ interships [usually unpaid]..and then u might get a perm. position.. That is why i was looking into getting an MPH [perhaps an MBA later to get at the higher end of the scale... ?]..

I said I don't know much about MPH in Epi. I am doing an MS myself and the people that I know are either MS students, PhD students, or profs so I don't really know. I meant that I don't know what the job market is for a masters in general. I have always had my sights on a PhD so I never really put much thought into what I would do with just a masters. Sorry!

If you want to be a dentist, the time is inconsequential. It doesn't matter how quickly you finish if you wind out hating your job. You need to get the degree that gets you the job that you want.

As far as an MBA, I still don't follow you on how it fits with anything. Do you want to work in business after Public Health or combine the two somehow?

MBA and MPH Epi are completely unrelated degrees. MBA + MPH in HPM might make sense, though.

You're not "wasting" a year unless you actually do "waste" it and do nothing. If you're working or you're doing research or you're interning, you're being productive. People seem to think that a year away from school is a bad thing... I'm taking this year off between my MPH and PhD. I got into fine schools for my PhD. So no worries there.

I said I don't know much about MPH in Epi. I am doing an MS myself and the people that I know are either MS students, PhD students, or profs so I don't really know. I meant that I don't know what the job market is for a masters in general. I have always had my sights on a PhD so I never really put much thought into what I would do with just a masters. Sorry!

If you want to be a dentist, the time is inconsequential. It doesn't matter how quickly you finish if you wind out hating your job. You need to get the degree that gets you the job that you want.

As far as an MBA, I still don't follow you on how it fits with anything. Do you want to work in business after Public Health or combine the two somehow?

MS or MPH in Epi is pretty much the same job prospects as long as both degrees are from accredited institutions. Of course, if there are PH jobs that are more general than a epi job, obviously the person with the MPH will be at an advantage since it can be marketed as a public health degree rather than an epi degree. That's about the only difference, really.