Dreaming on Zoloft?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i61164

Polar Bear, MD
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Isn't Zoloft supposed to suppress dreaming? I know someone that is having nightly dreams that are disconcerting (usually someone will die in the dream) and she is taking 200mg of Zoloft every day. These dreams are a recent occurance and she has long periods of time with no dreams in the past with Zoloft. If you are dreaming, does that mean that your Zoloft level is low or that your Serotonin level is low?

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't Zoloft supposed to suppress dreaming? I know someone that is having nightly dreams that are disconcerting (usually someone will die in the dream) and she is taking 200mg of Zoloft every day. These dreams are a recent occurance and she has long periods of time with no dreams in the past with Zoloft. If you are dreaming, does that mean that your Zoloft level is low or that your Serotonin level is low?

Vivid dreams are a frequent side effect of SSRIs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just don't understand how "suppressing REM sleep" = vivid dreams. :confused:

It seems that at a lower dose (100 mg or 150 mg), dreams were indeed suppressed. But at 200 mg, dreams are no longer suppressed. Any ideas why that would be (why dreams stop being suppressed at a higher dose)?