dress code for interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericlight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the dress code is like for POD interviews. Is wearing a full on suit required? Or will a dress shirt + dress pants work? What if your interviewing in some place hot like AZ, wouldn't a full on suit seem like overkill?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say suit is required. In all my interviews it was all suits with the exception of one guy in a blazer. You'll feel like the odd duck if you don't wear a suit. You can get a good one for <$200 if you look around. Look presentable, this is your future, you're supposed to be taking it very seriously. As far as shirt colors, I personally think anything tasteful goes, make sure your tie matches your shirt, your belt should match your shoes, shave your face, style your hair in a mature fashion and you'll do fine. :D

I would assume if you really wanted a job, you would wear your finest to the interview. Same can be said here. I don't think that would be overkill at all. This my friend, is overkill
images
More pics here

Members don't see this ad :)
AZ can get a bit hot...but you're not going to be going for a jog. And I'm sure all the buildings will be fully climate controlled. Anything less than a business suit is putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'm going to be suit hunting tomorrow. Now the question is what type of suit....

Actually what about a briefcase or folder? Are they gonna be handing out significant amounts of paper?

I think a suit is nice and all but it is definitely not necessary. I went to both of my interviews (got accepted at both schools) with slacks, dress shirt, tie, and a blazer. If you got that then there is really no need to buy a suit. Look presentable but dont stretch yourself and buy a suit. I'm sure your already spending a good amount of money to interview there. If you really want to get a suit then go ahead nobody will stop you from looking sharp. In the words of Barney Stinson, "Suit up".

Actually what about a briefcase or folder? Are they gonna be handing out significant amounts of paper?

I personally think that the guys that carried a bag or "satchel" looked like incredibly douchey TOOLS, not prepared and professional like they were trying to appear.

Yes they will be handing out paperwork, but it will be in some nice, neat folder or other receptacle.

You can never go wrong wearing a suit to an interview. I would recommend a solid navy suit or very toned down pinstripe. I wouldn't wear a thick chalk line type pinstripe, since you don't want to go into the interview looking like Al Capone. I would avoid black or brown suits. A charcoal suit would be appropriate.

I would also recommend a clean, crisp, white shirt, because once again, you can never go wrong with a white shirt. I would keep the tie conservative and avoid "novelty" ties, Jerry Garcia ties or very flashy colors.

I also agree that if you have a nice blue blazer and wear that with a shirt, tie and pair of NICE khakis, you'd be fine.

And please don't go into an interview wearing a pair of beat up shoes.

Yes, there will be sharp dressed men who don't get in, and poorly dressed shlubs who will get in, but it never hurts to make a good first impression.

I would also leave the bling home. No bracelets, cufflinks, etc.

And DEFINITELY don't walk in with a briefcase or anything similar. That would make you look like a definite d-bag.

It's too formal.

Black tie affair or funeral? Nope. Interview for professional school.

I wore solid black. If you walk through NYC you see guys in black suits going to and from work all the time. My interviewers had black suits underneath their white coats. Anyway this isn't a fashion blog lol
but congrats on your interview

Members don't see this ad :)
nd+suit+2.jpg
Is this suit appropriate? I am very much considering it...

Hahaha If I were head of admissions I would totally accept Napoleon Dynamite over P Diddy

I disagree. In all my interviews, almost everyone wore a black suit (yes even some slight pinstripes). You WANT to show professionalism. Maybe leave out the cufflinks. :D

A suit is the standard. Anything more or less will stand out, and standing out for your attire isn't the way to go.

You want to be a doctor? Take it from someone who is anything but the prototypical doctor type...there's a mold you have to fit in. There's a standard of professionalism, and an expectation that you do certain things to give off the doctor persona. Whether this is a good thing or not is a thing for a different thread, but this mold is real, and hard-pressed.

Start now, and wear the suit.

You don't have to buy the most expensive suit money can buy.

Cheap suits may not fit right, but that's what a tailor is for which can save a lot of money.

Also if flying don't check your suit. Use it as your carry on. You wouldn't want an airline to loose it for you...

+1 to blue over black. Avoid pinstripes.

You don't have to buy the most expensive suit money can buy.

Cheap suits may not fit right, but that's what a tailor is for which can save a lot of money.

Also if flying don't check your suit. Use it as your carry on. You wouldn't want an airline to loose it for you...

+1 to blue over black. Avoid pinstripes.
:thumbup:

Naw, Kidsfeet. Just because an MD/MBA says something about fashion doesn't make it "right." I was just offering an article for some perspective. You can still think black is too formal and not be wrong. :)

Remember that I did state that there will be those who dress like shlubs, and still get into school, and those who dress perfectly who don't get accepted. The interviewer should be assessing your skills and ability, not your clothes.

As far as many doctors wearing black suits, etc., that is really irrelevant. Go to any hospital, convention, meeting, etc., and you will see some horribly dressed doctors.

But as someone has stated, this is not a fashion site. I based my comments on "few" years of experience and mostly from a friend who is IN the business of preparing people for interviews and prepping them for all different industries. He always recommends avoiding black suits to interviews.

I wore a blazer for mine and got accepted, definitely felt like the odd ball of the group, probably wouldn't do it again, needless to say I felt comfortable.

So I have an Interview at Barry in two weeks and i have a fairly long beard. Do you guys think i should trim it a little or should i cut it most off to the point where i have the five o'clock shadow look?

My opinion: not five o'clock shadow - although it may look good on you, it is not definition "clean shaven."

Trim your beard, and if you want facial hair make it short and controlled, so definite lines of hair vs no hair (eg. Goatee, mustache, etc.). That will make you look more professional for your professional school interview.

Yeah...it's not about what looks good, just about what looks professional. There are a lot of ugly doctors, but not as many scraggly ones.

The ugly look is okay for professionals. The stoner/homeless look, not so much.

Reactions: 1 user
"SUIT UP!"

-Barney Stinson

enough said..

These threads are being over run by Barney Stinson!!! Ahhhh

No, super feisty quoted him in the pro/con thread like yesterday!

I think the suit is the way to go. One dude showed up with a goofy looking colored shirt, I think it was royal blue with black suit. It didn't look good. If I remember correctly Dtrack wore white to his interviews. So before you leave to go to your interview look in the mirror and ask yourself WWDTD?