Dress codes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katezebra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I went to an interview at University of Minnesota last weekend, and I heard a lot of people asking about dress codes for classes (Minnesota doesn't have one). I'm new around here, but I have never heard of this. Does anyone know which schools enforce a dress code??

Members don't see this ad.

Midwestern has a business casual dress code. I've also heard that Texas a&m has a business casual dress code but it isn't strictly inforced.

Last edited:
Dunno if there are any Auburn people on here but I've heard they're required to dress professionally every day.

Also there are older threads on this if you search

Members don't see this ad :)
Mississippi has a business dress code that I hear is pretty strictly enforced.

AVC has nothing for the pre-clinical years besides safety codes for labs. Fourth year is busines-like for small animal, khakis and polos or coveralls for large animal.

UTK has a business casual dress code that (from what I hear) isn't super strictly enforced unless you're walking around the hospital or you really go to the other end of the spectrum and look like a bum. Casual Fridays though!

Wow. Oregon State is super laid back. There is no dress code for the classroom years. People wear jeans, hoodies, yoga pants, whatever.

UTK has a business casual dress code that (from what I hear) isn't super strictly enforced unless you're walking around the hospital or you really go to the other end of the spectrum and look like a bum. Casual Fridays though!
Hahaha. I don't think anyone cared for our class. Definitely had classmates show up in sweatpants and t shirts

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, I never would have thought about a dress code for classes. Back in my days (over a dozen years ago) there was a dress code for 4th year clinics (interacting with clients, after all), but nothing for the earlier, classroom years.

When I interviewed at LMU, they had a business casual dress code as well. Being from the northeast, I had never even heard of this! Apparently, it's a pretty common southern thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Going to Midwestern as well. I'm kind of excited for the business casual dress code. I feel like it will make us feel more like colleagues of our professors which, for me at least, helps my mind set. Scrubs of course for lab days.

Friend of mine said she interviewed at a school where the girls were dressed up in interview attire themselves and the guys in khakis and dress pants but I can't remember which it was! I honestly don't think I'd consider a school with a dress code unless it was my IS, but I'm also extremely lazy. Illinois doesn't care as long as you're dressed somewhat appropriate...as in don't wear extremely short shorts or wifebeaters to class.

I feel like I would be fine with khakis and business casual, but more formal than that would be annoying.

Yeah I was floored when I heard it too. Really? You want me to dress up just to sit in a dark lecture hall for 8 hours a day?
The argument that our school had was that "what about if a owner or a scholarship-giver comes over to get coffee from the teaching hospital and sees you all unprofessional?" At least that what they told us haha. That being said, our dress code is relatively laid back -> just no flip-flops, short-shorts, athletic wear, sweats, or T-shirts that aren't vet med/Mizzou related during school hours. So jeans + hoodie or jeans +T-shirt are just fine.

So my collection of geeky t-shirts would go unworn. Not good. :p
I have the same problem! Though anytime there's a group function outside of school a lot of my friend group wears our nerd shirts then so we make up for it. :p

MSU doesn't have any dress code that I know of. Same with most, once you hit clinics it's business casual in small animal and khakis and shirts in large.

No dress code here for the classroom years. During 2nd year when you have shifts at the hospital you have to follow the dress code the 4th years have to follow (VHUP -- business casual if you're seeing appointments, scrubs otherwise. NBC -- khakis and polo) but that's about it. Even then, you wear a nice pair of dark wash jeans and a nice shirt I doubt anyone is going to say anything.

The argument I heard when I toured at Auburn was something along the lines of dressing professionally helps you act more professionally. I had originally thought a dress code wouldn't be so bad, but when I was touring I decided it would be difficult for me because I get up at the last possible second required and I just can't be bothered to put that kind of effort in to sit all day.

Dressing up for professional events is fun. Dressing up for sitting 40 hrs a week is not fun.

I think it's ridiculous to dress up to sit and take notes and to then have to change for lab...
One of my class presidents tried to pass a strict dress code... It was shot down.

UTK just asks that you be reasonable. No night club wear during the day, nothing too revealing, things that aren't stained and rippdd, etc when in class. During clinics you are expected to dress in nice clothes. Of course people still dress up for classes and dress down for clinics. But for the most part people are comfortable in class and clinics with what they wear.

Speaking of clinical rotation dress codes...

For someone who has a lot of shopping to do for clinics... Does anyone have any suggestions for where to buy clothes or even how many pairs of things to get? Or what to "focus on?" I imagine black slacks are pretty reliable, but are they any no-nos or things to look for when shopping for blouses/shirts/sweaters? (Besides no cleavage/no excess skin showing obviously). I guess where does it go from just a blouse/shirt to being "professional" enough for clinics?

For someone who has a lot of shopping to do for clinics... Does anyone have any suggestions for where to buy clothes or even how many pairs of things to get? Or what to "focus on?" I imagine black slacks are pretty reliable, but are they any no-nos or things to look for when shopping for blouses/shirts/sweaters? (Besides no cleavage/no excess skin showing obviously). I guess where does it go from just a blouse/shirt to being "professional" enough for clinics?

Honestly, I wear a lot of my normal but slightly on the nice side shirts for clinics. I bought a few extra things but I'm probably one of the more dressed down people because honestly, I don't want my nice stuff getting trashed. That being said, I don't think anything I've worn is ever inappropriate. My major struggle is my lack of shoes to wear. I keep meaning to buy more skinny jean type pants in different colors so I can wear with boots and more flats.

I'd probably go with more pants because I feel like they are the thing that gets the dirtiest. I think all my bottoms are from New York and Co because I find they fit well, are comfortable and are on the cheaper side without looking too cheap.

choose things that are stain resist or easy to wash. You don't want to wear something like a cashmere sweater and get anal sac juice squirted on you.

Reactions: 1 users
The argument that our school had was that "what about if a owner or a scholarship-giver comes over to get coffee from the teaching hospital and sees you all unprofessional?" At least that what they told us haha. That being said, our dress code is relatively laid back -> just no flip-flops, short-shorts, athletic wear, sweats, or T-shirts that aren't vet med/Mizzou related during school hours. So jeans + hoodie or jeans +T-shirt are just fine.

I don't think as an owner or scholarship-giver I would expect a bunch of student who are just sitting in classrooms all day to be dressed professionally. I would think it is excessive and absurd, to be honest. But I am a very simple and laid-back person.

I don't think as an owner or scholarship-giver I would expect a bunch of student who are just sitting in classrooms all day to be dressed professionally. I would think it is excessive and absurd, to be honest. But I am a very simple and laid-back person.
I completely agree. I guess they are trying to discourage the popular undergrad trend of leggings and a t-shirt, or short-shorts? Because overall it's not a very strict dress code, and at least for me I am wearing what I would wear (Jeans +T-shirt/blouse) even without a dress code.

So I went to an interview at University of Minnesota last weekend, and I heard a lot of people asking about dress codes for classes (Minnesota doesn't have one). I'm new around here, but I have never heard of this. Does anyone know which schools enforce a dress code??

SO not true. I'm pretty sure UMN required us to be dressed. :)

Reactions: 6 users
When I interviewed at LMU, they had a business casual dress code as well. Being from the northeast, I had never even heard of this! Apparently, it's a pretty common southern thing?
It's "business casual" but basically means no sweats/t-shirts/tennis shoes/hoodies. I wear jeans, a polo, and danskos most days. Some people wear skirts and heels. Scrubs/white coat for labs except bovine/equine it's coveralls. It's really not that bad because jeans are comfy for lecture :)

I'm honestly a bit disappointed to hear that some schools have business casual dress codes for sitting in LECTURES/the classroom years...I mean, I'm not one to come to class in pajamas/sweats or anything, but I do love my shorts and t shirts :p

SO not true. I'm pretty sure UMN required us to be dressed. :)
I don't know, I've never seen it written anywhere. But then the classrooms are always so cold I can't imagine wearing nothing (or even anything shorter than long pants and sleeves) ;)
I'm honestly a bit disappointed to hear that some schools have business casual dress codes for sitting in LECTURES/the classroom years...I mean, I'm not one to come to class in pajamas/sweats or anything, but I do love my shorts and t shirts :p
Don't knock it until you've tried it!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not thrilled about the idea of dress codes for lectures either, but I guess I'll have to get used to it considering it sounds like K State has a business casual dress code. It sounds like it's fairly lax though, basically no T-shirts or sweatpants/yoga pants. I guess it will give me an excuse to drag out some of the nicer clothes that have been gathering dust in my closet! I've kind of been living in T-shirts and either yoga pants or jeans (shorts in the summer) being out of school the past couple years, because I don't see the point in putting a cute outfit together when I'll just have to change into scrubs to go to work in the afternoon. Plus when I work at my call center job in the mornings, picking out clothes at 6 in the morning in the dark (so I don't wake up my boyfriend) is the worst. Thank God we have a casual dress code at that job.

I completely agree. I guess they are trying to discourage the popular undergrad trend of leggings and a t-shirt, or short-shorts? Because overall it's not a very strict dress code, and at least for me I am wearing what I would wear (Jeans +T-shirt/blouse) even without a dress code.

How does Mizzou feel about jeggings then? :p

How does Mizzou feel about jeggings then? :p
Well the official rule is that there needs to be hardware (buttons/zipper)... but if you have a shirt that goes over that stuff anyways... most people wouldn't be able to tell/care. :p

I've been trying to take note of what SA GPs wear to work. Older ones wear slacks, younger wear jeans from my limited observation. What do you guys do at work?

ETA: Slacks/jeans with a scrub top that is.
business casual (like nice slacks and a nice shirt) with my lab coat or scrubs. If they are nice jeans, I say why not. But my jeans are no longer nice jeans.

When you've had 40 minutes of sleep on the school couch because you're pulling an all night to bring up your failing grade, sweat pants are totally acceptable.

Exam mornings were often the only time I'd consider sweat pants because i often went home afterwards and just went to bed. The extra effort of putting on jeans in the morning was annoying.

I've been trying to take note of what SA GPs wear to work. Older ones wear slacks, younger wear jeans from my limited observation. What do you guys do at work?

ETA: Slacks/jeans with a scrub top that is.
My standard is nice shoes (Clark's flats), jeans, a blouse/dressy top of some sort*, and a white lab coat. If I'm about to do something messy (laceration, parvo puppy, etc) I'll ditch the lab coat and throw on a scrub top. I'll also do jeans and scrub top if I'm in on emergency after hours. On large animal calls, jeans, polo and steel toe boots. I usually avoid necklaces, bracelets, rings, but I do wear earrings ranging from simple studs to these. Make up is pretty minimal because I can't be bothered. Nose piercing hasn't been an issue yet, even when I wear a hoop in it. . The practice owner (female) wears polos, jeans, lab coats and sneakers. The other younger doctor (male) wears polos and slacks, the older doctor (female) wears blouses, slacks and lab coat. And the other older doctor (male) wears scrubs, usually mismatched and often ripped. He gets made fun of a lot, but no one actually makes him change.
*My go to is the Canadian chain Ricki's.

Don't knock it until you've tried it!

When you've had 40 minutes of sleep on the school couch because you're pulling an all night to bring up your failing grade, sweat pants are totally acceptable.

Exam mornings were often the only time I'd consider sweat pants because i often went home afterwards and just went to bed. The extra effort of putting on jeans in the morning was annoying.
Can totally understand...and the bolded part is why I always just threw on the nearest pair of older/not-so-nice shorts and shirt whenever I had to wake up super early for an exam or work something :p Shorts > pants, though of course I was in a warm climate!

Can totally understand...and the bolded part is why I always just threw on the nearest pair of older/not-so-nice shorts and shirt whenever I had to wake up super early for an exam or work something :p Shorts > pants, though of course I was in a warm climate!
Shorts are only wearable here during non-school months, and even then they keep the AC blasting so much that the lecture halls are typically cold.

Shorts are only wearable here during non-school months, and even then they keep the AC blasting so much that the lecture halls are typically cold.
oh god. I think it's a right of passage to freeze your face off as a first year. The third floor where their lab and lecture hall is, is a freaking tundra. I took to wearing a blanket in class often.