Dress for Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woldtjm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an DPT interview this weekend at Concordia in Mequon. The invitation to the interview says to wear business casual. Wondering what I should wear-will people wear suits and ties, even though it says business casual?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
agreed, always better to be overdressed than underdressed

Members don't see this ad :)
I also agree, wear a suit if you have one. I wore everything but the sport jacket because I didn't have one nor the money to buy it. Dress slacks, dress shoes, a nice dress shirt and tie will do. And I got accepted to their program :)

Definitely wear the suit. You can always ditch the jacket if things are more casual, but you don't want to be underdressed.

How about how women should dress? Suit jackets? dresses? skirt vs. pants? I'm nervous, and feel much more confident if I know that I'm dressed for success.

Definitely pants....think about it: would a PT ever wear a skirt? It's just not practical, so no need to wear one now.

I'd go with nice black pants, a dress shirt (button up, or a really nice sweater), and then a cardigan or jacket.

kttdancer - At the day of my interview there were about 20 students interviewing, more women than men, and most of the women(if not all) were wearing dress pants with a fitted jacket and shirt.
And I don't completely agree with DancerFutureDPT. You are a prospective PT student that is interviewing. You want to look sharp and if you believe you look better and feel comfortable in a skirt/dress - wear it!
You'll do fine! Good luck!

To the OP, I'll be at that interview too. Why not do what I did and contact that admissions lady (Kathy)? By the way, you don't need the full suit...but ofcourse there will always be people that will wear no matter what; just like there will always be that kiss a** guy there too haha. Good luck this saturday, I guess I'll see you there.

I have an interview coming up and I am planning on wearing

- black pants
- blue button up tee shirt
- black cardigan

Does that seem okay? I don't own a full suit and I honestly cannot afford to buy one. This is my only interview.

i'm not sure on the shoes? We have a walking tour before the interview and its cold and icy here in the midwest. I was thinking of wearing Black flats with a rubber bottom so I don't slip and slide as we walk?

How about how women should dress? Suit jackets? dresses? skirt vs. pants? I'm nervous, and feel much more confident if I know that I'm dressed for success.

Woman have more flexibility. Wear what you feel comfortable in and that you'd wear to a job interview: that simple. A professional dress or skirt (knee length or longer) is more than acceptable, if you prefer not to wear pants. A skirt suit is seen as more formal than a pant suit, FYI. I'd wear a suit jacket, if you have one. If not, a nice blouse with or without cardigan will do just fine!

If you are getting a tour of the facilities and the campus is spread out, I recommend comfortable shoes and to dress weather appropriate. At UMDNJ we had a 45+ minute outside tour in below freezing weather. I was thankful I didn't wear my skirt and heels to that interview and wore pants and flats instead! Good luck! :luck::)

Last edited: