dress for the interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iPara

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious...How do you guys dress for the interview? Is it OK to go for the shirt/tie/slacks combo? Or is a suit mandatory? I don't like to wear suit, but if required, I'm thinking about wearing a black suit, is that too formal? What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

better overdressed than underdressed...i would definitely go with a suit

I am going with the suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how any guy could show up for a dental school interview and not wear a suit and tie, or at least a suit jacket and tie.

Try to avoid wearing a plain black suit if you can. If it has pinstripes, that's better, but a plain black suit doesn't look as good as a charcoal grey suit or navy or pretty much anything that Deion Sanders or Michael Irvin wouldn't wear.

i interviewed so far at two places and all the people i interviewed with (over 20 together) had suits on, including the women. I would def go with a suit or you will feel underdressed, even though it probably wont matter but dont take any chances.

I would say either a conservative suit or khaki pants and a navy blazer with tie.

Conservative suit - grey or dark blue without any non-traditional patterns. Simple or single color tie. Black shoes.

ok...guys, you got the point- the suit!:) I wish it could be that easy for us girls... jacket and a skirt or jacket and the pants? or is it too fancy?..maybe just a shirt and pants? any opinions?... :)

The women I've seen have mostly been wearing pants and a jacket. Conservative along similar terms as for men. Shoes comfortable to walk around on the tour-don't know what specific term for women's footwear would describe it but small, if any heel.

The women I've seen have mostly been wearing pants and a jacket. Conservative along similar terms as for men. Shoes comfortable to walk around on the tour-don't know what specific term for women's footwear would describe it but small, if any heel.

thanks, as well ;)

[sexist] wear something low-cut with lots of cleavage and a miniskirt with platform heels. fishnet stockings optional [/sexist]

my sincerest apologies if anyone was offended by that. I couldn't resist the joke.

[sexist] wear something low-cut with lots of cleavage and a miniskirt with platform heels. fishnet stockings optional [/sexist]

my sincerest apologies if anyone was offended by that. I couldn't resist the joke.

::taking notes::

oh, and all outfits should be preapproved by me, so email me a picture of you in it and i'll let you know...

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how any guy could show up for a dental school interview and not wear a suit and tie, or at least a suit jacket and tie.

Try to avoid wearing a plain black suit if you can. If it has pinstripes, that's better, but a plain black suit doesn't look as good as a charcoal grey suit or navy or pretty much anything that Deion Sanders or Michael Irvin wouldn't wear.

Thank you everyone!! I guess I should go with suit then!!! Anyways, I really want to go with the black suit, I've a dark blue pinstripe, but I don't like it as much...Is there anyone else beside lemoncurry objecting the black suit? I'm not gonna wear white shirt and black tie with it!! :D I'm thinking maybe a color shirt and matching tie, would that be ok?

Thank you everyone!! I guess I should go with suit then!!! Anyways, I really want to go with the black suit, I've a dark blue pinstripe, but I don't like it as much...Is there anyone else beside lemoncurry objecting the black suit? I'm not gonna wear white shirt and black tie with it!! :D I'm thinking maybe a color shirt and matching tie, would that be ok?

Black's fine. I'm going with a black suit with black pinstripes.

I don't understand why someone would tell you to not wear a black suit. A black suit is a staple of the business attire category. Black suit is just fine. I wore a black suit, light yellow shirt, and bright turquoise tie. I literally had about 15 faculty members at the school compliment me on my tie while i was on the tour of the school. So again, i don't understand why someone would tell you to wear a boring tie. I stood out, in a tasteful way, from all the other guys that were wearing boring suits, with boring shirts, and boring ties. As long as you are in business attire, I don't think they really care what colors you are wearing... unless it's a Three Stooges tie or something like that, haha

The reason I suggest against wearing a plain black suit is because plain black is like the default purchase for a guy who normally doesn't wear a suit. I think you should look like you are comfortable in suits.

just my opinion.

does anyone see anything wrong with a beige/khaki suit (pants) for a girl? and if i do wear that, should i wear a more conservative shirt like dark brown or white? ps: i'm a female :)

basketball shorts, flip-flops, and a half-shirt.

does anyone see anything wrong with a beige/khaki suit (pants) for a girl? and if i do wear that, should i wear a more conservative shirt like dark brown or white? ps: i'm a female :)

i would not wear khaki pants. a khaki colored suit would be fine with a black top/shell underneath. i have a khaki suit, and it looks really good with a black shell.

go light on the jewelry- a small, tasteful necklace and small earings. :)

ok...guys, you got the point- the suit!:) I wish it could be that easy for us girls... jacket and a skirt or jacket and the pants? or is it too fancy?..maybe just a shirt and pants? any opinions?... :)

Whata you think about hair color!!! I just highlighted my hair and is a total mess, Dont know what to do for interviews :( I"m thinking I should wear a wig or maybe put on a hat or something :((( I want my hair back ... sorry

Whata you think about hair color!!! I just highlighted my hair and is a total mess, Dont know what to do for interviews :( I"m thinking I should wear a wig or maybe put on a hat or something :((( I want my hair back ... sorry

spend the money and invest in getting back a normal hair color!!!!

get yourself to an aveda salon asap.the last thing you need is to dump even more hair-killing chemicals on your head to take away whatever it is that youve done...at least the stuff they use is somewhat 'natural'

as for clothes,if you go to a dept store,they have personal shoppers thatll point stuff out for you if you tell them what youre looking for. just an FYI.

PS:to whomever said white suit?! or white shoes or something?! 1)its past labor day,2)i dunno bout you guys, but im going to be nervous as all hell anyway,and wearing a GET ME DIRTY color isnt the best choice for aday im bound to spill something on myself.

fyi, the "past labor day" rule doesn't hold as fast as it used to. maybe if you're interviewing in the midwest I wouldn't wear white, but if it is California especially, white should be just fine, unless you're worried about soiling yourself.

fyi, the "past labor day" rule doesn't hold as fast as it used to. maybe if you're interviewing in the midwest I wouldn't wear white, but if it is California especially, white should be just fine, unless you're worried about soiling yourself.

id be the one worried about getting something on myself:(

id be the one worried about getting something on myself:(

ditto. that tide stain remover only does so much, ;)

i also second the aveda salon comment. they are wonderful!!!! i go to an aveda salon, and have zero complaints. they train their stylists and colorists extremely well.

just wear whatever you look good in as long as it doesn't take the attention away from you. u dont want ur clothes to scream louder than ur interview voice. as a dude, i'm going to wear a dark grey suit with subtle pinstripes and a light colored shirt with a more conservative tie (not plain though).

I definitely think professional should be the focus here. I don't buy into wearing a color other than black so they think you are comfortable wearing a suit. Who cares? I've seen plenty of dentist who wear scrubs to the office. As far as the women, I think pants suit. I have a black pinstrip suit with a color camisole just to make it not so boring. I don't think playing the s*x card is a good idea. Sorry, Lemoncurry....this is dental school, not a playboy photo shoot :)

I am wearing a navy blazer, kakhi dress slacks, and a shirt and tie.

I am 20 years old, if I walked in there in a dark pinstripe suit I would look like a fool. I think looking good/like yourself is more important than looking professional.

This is a SCHOOL interview, not a job interview. I have no desire to be an investment banker, or to dress like one.

PS - My dad is one of the largest, most well known dentists in NYC and he wears a blazer and pants to work every day. RARELY a suit.

Just making a point that dentists do not wear suits to work everyday, RDH2DDS.

I am 20 years old, if I walked in there in a dark pinstripe suit I would look like a fool. I think looking good/like yourself is more important than looking professional.

This is a SCHOOL interview, not a job interview. I have no desire to be an investment banker, or to dress like one.

PS - My dad is one of the largest, most well known dentists in NYC and he wears a blazer and pants to work every day. RARELY a suit.

this is an interview though. ur dad is already set up.

You're going to an interview not a semi-formal down at the tri-delt house. You need to dress conservatively and professionally. For a guy, that means navy blue/black suit, white shirt, plain tie, and black shoes.

On a side note, is it really in good taste to insult your father's weight problem after he worked hard to put you through school?

this all really comes down to common sense. the way you dress for your interview can really only hurt you, i dont think it could help you. that being said, i think you would almost have to try to dress in a way that would hurt your chances. just keep it traditional and conservative and it will be fine. for girls i guess it gets a little more complicated, but for guys, just wear a "normal" suit and a shirt/tie combo that isnt anything overly obnoxious

common sense isnt all that common. dress to impress. wouldnt you rather feel over-dressed than under-dressed??

You're going to an interview not a semi-formal down at the tri-delt house. You need to dress conservatively and professionally. For a guy, that means navy blue/black suit, white shirt, plain tie, and black shoes.

On a side note, is it really in good taste to insult your father's weight problem after he worked hard to put you through school?

lmao

I am goin' rebel in a brown suit yo. No navy shizzle fo' me. Oh wait, I need to get an interview first.

i would not wear khaki pants. a khaki colored suit would be fine with a black top/shell underneath. i have a khaki suit, and it looks really good with a black shell.

go light on the jewelry- a small, tasteful necklace and small earings. :)

It is a Beige suit actually, so that seems okay? I cant decide on which colored shirt to get, dark brown or white? And my heels are 1.5-2 inches high, but they are dark brown and very professional looking I thought! Is the heel too high? And what about wearing a set of pearls as the necklace and small pearl earrings? AHH HELP!

PS: For the girl who got her highlights all messed up, I had my hair done yesterday and was freaking out too, but it came out wonderful and I was at an Aveda salon, I def recommend going to one of those and getting a more subtle look at least until interviews are over.

It is a Beige suit actually, so that seems okay? I cant decide on which colored shirt to get, dark brown or white? And my heels are 1.5-2 inches high, but they are dark brown and very professional looking I thought! Is the heel too high? And what about wearing a set of pearls as the necklace and small pearl earrings? AHH HELP!

PS: For the girl who got her highlights all messed up, I had my hair done yesterday and was freaking out too, but it came out wonderful and I was at an Aveda salon, I def recommend going to one of those and getting a more subtle look at least until interviews are over.

i would not wear the white top. white tends to wash people out, at least me anyway. i would wear the brown top. the heels sounds a little high, but i tend to be more conservative when it comes to heel height. i am already tall and adding another 2 inches would make me a tower!!

the pearl necklace and earings sound fine ---probably the same thing i will be sporting :D

w00t i knew i wasnt the only aveda addict. i really need to get my **** together and decide what I'm going to wear and return the rest. these suitish clothes are uncomfortable like whoa. i dunno how guys wear them everyday.

Are you guys wearing an overcoat for your winter interviews?

3-piece suit anyone?

try wearing trash bags with a bannana peel tie...i heard that the derilick look is in this year. Let me know how it goes:laugh:

What do you think girls? I just got a skirt suit from The Limited. It's chocolate brown w/ a light brown shell underneath. Dark brown dress shoes to match (small small heel 3/4 inch~if that). I hope brown is okay...most wear black. But I have dark brown hair and I think the brown looks best on me. I think I'll go w/ the pearl earrings/necklace. What do you think about a purse? I need something to carry my makeup in (in case I need a touchup) and my tide-to-go pen in case of a spill. :eek: Are any of you females planning on carrying a purse?