Drexel DPMS 2014-15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I finally submitted my application and received a completion email last week. Do I really have to wait until the end of April as the email said to know if I am eligible for an interview or if I am rejected?
Waiting has to be the worst part of these application process. My MCAT was only 20 while my cGPA is 3.84. I am just not sure if my application would make it. I have all the regular ECs: research, volunteering, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I finally submitted my application and received a completion email last week. Do I really have to wait until the end of April as the email said to know if I am eligible for an interview or if I am rejected?
Waiting has to be the worst part of these application process. My MCAT was only 20 while my cGPA is 3.84. I am just not sure if my application would make it. I have all the regular ECs: research, volunteering, etc.

Right now the med school is busy interviewing applicants to be accepted for 2014 (including upcoming ims/mms students w/ guaranteed interviews in april) and they are busy w/ the 4th years about to match. Hence, they will not interview for the dpms spots until after this (end of april). It's stressful, but no way to rush it and don't count yourself out-- all depends on the entire pool of applicants which is another reason you're waiting so long. You got your information in but others are still in the process so to make comparable comparisons b/t applicants takes time. The point of this is for the office to give you consideration given your circumstances so rushing a decision wouldn't be in your best interests if they're going by #s only. Good luck.

Hey there. I've been feeling the same way. I submitted back in December! But I went through the old DPMS threads and it sounds like if we're lucky to get a spot, the late timing will be worth it. Good luck! (Awesome GPA btw wow)

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have applied, can they use your LOR that you submitted for AMCAS? Thanks in advance.
I had the LOR's submitted individually by my recommendors since I'm not sure how the AMCAS letter service would work with the DPMS program. But if you used interfolio, you should be fine. If not, it wouldn't hurt to have your recommendors to send there letters in. =)

I would feel better if my MCAT score was higher. My gpa is high because I go to a small liberal arts state college. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Did anyone do the virtual information session with Drexel to waive their application fee?

I had the LOR's submitted individually by my recommendors since I'm not sure how the AMCAS letter service would work with the DPMS program. But if you used interfolio, you should be fine. If not, it wouldn't hurt to have your recommendors to send there letters in. =)

wait how do you submit LOR to DPMS?

I asked the people who wrote the letters to snail mail it in.
I think you can also called and ask to email to the admission office.

Hey guys,

I will inquire more about the case of the people with no MCAT. I don't know the exact details, but I do know there are a couple who didn't take it. I know it's definitely not a common thing, and that special circumstances were probably involved. But I will see what sort of info I can get. It also varies year to year. My point was that those requirements listed on the application aren't completely set in stone and that if you think you're a good fit for the program-- if you are a URM, or you feel like you feel like you were economically/socially disadvantaged throughout childhood, or college, or have something about you that's preventing you from getting into school the traditional route, then go ahead and apply because I know that exceptions are made for people depending on their story.
I'm pretty sure the app ends late April so if you take it early April it might work out. If you really want to go for this program and aren't concerned with getting a great score (30+) then you can take it sooner, get whatever score you get and apply to DPMS. If you get in, you can always retake it again before the start of the school year in August and try to get that 7 8 8 score, and then switch to track 2 if you want so you'll never have to worry about it again. I understand if you want to apply to other schools too, you may not want to rush it and focus on getting the best score possible. If you're going for DPMS honestly an 18-23 should be pretty attainable! Something to think about. Pretty sure there were some special circumstances with this person I'm talking about, but I'll get back to you on that.

Hi @DragonDoc2018! Was wondering if you heard any more info about students in the program with no MCAT? Thanks much!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @DragonDoc2018! Was wondering if you heard any more info about students in the program with no MCAT? Thanks much!

I have the same question. Also, I'm am registered to complete the exam April24th, Is that too late to be considered for admission?

I have the same question. Also, I'm am registered to complete the exam April24th, Is that too late to be considered for admission?

I just wanted to chime into this for you and gard2013. I wouldn't rely on not having/needing your mcat. When I was on the admissions committee as a student all applicants (regular, ims, dpms, other postbacs) had an mcat regardless of the score on it. The med school has to justify the program acceptances via a standard testing marker and the mcat is that test. I just asked student affairs (at the med school) yesterday if they consider/recall accepting people w/out mcats and I was given a look of confusion. That tells me it doesn't stand out in their minds if at all. I didn't dig in further because as I've mentioned before-- it's the medical school, not the postbac office where you send in your applications and that does the initial review, that determines whether or not you will be accepted into the program. The postbac office where you send your apps determines whether or not your application meets their "criteria" to pass along to the med school.

I strongly advise and suggest you contact the post-bac office and talk w/ dr. walker, dr. soslau, or ms. manganou and ask one of them directly regarding the mcat (if there are instances in where you could be accepted into the program without having taken it for example) and your specific mcat testing date. That will clear up everything for you.

And on a side note- you'll realize that once you enter the program as much as you would like everyone to get along, share info (because you are not competing against each other in any way whatsoever), or carry on as friends as you did during the summer session it all changes inevitably and people are quick to horde materials/resources, give out misinformation, and show their truer personality and qualities. Rare the classes that come and actually help one another out throughout the years.

Recall, your dpms interview IS your MED school interview. Call the office and get your answer directly.

Hello all,

I did look into it and it was a special case situation. I can't really give the details of it, but the point I was trying to make at the time was that the numbers and criteria on the website and application aren't 100% set in stone and that it's to your benefit to apply-- I didn't meet all the criteria and know several who didn't but here we are! The absolute best thing you can do is talk to Dr. Walker and explain your situation. Who knows maybe you'll be considered a special circumstance. But as of last year, you need all your stuff in by the deadline to be considered and I wouldn't count on an exception being made for you. I would assume that if you take your MCAT after the application deadline then it's too late. What I would do is call the office, or get in contact with Dr. Walker, explain your situation and see if they'll take your application with the pending MCAT. That's the only way to figure it out for sure.

Again, this idea seems to have been blown out of proportion-- My main point is that if you think you're a good fit for the program, but don't necessarily fit all the criteria, it wont hurt to apply because you never know what can happen. And as Draco said, and as you will learn in the program and throughout your professional careers, go off the facts, and reliable sources for your information. I'm here to help and so is Draco (He really helped me out a lot last year), to help give you perspectives on things and tell you what it's like-- but I encourage you all to not leave certain official things like deadlines, and application info etc. up to chance-- call up the office and make sure for yourself!

So a 29 and 3.2 are too low stats for the DPMS program?

For the requirements they want in order to retain your conditional acceptance once you're in the program. Of note pay attention that there is no mention of a minimum mcat for applying or to be considered in the first link. Do pay attention in the second link I listed that it just mentions this: "The Drexel Pathway to Medical School program is designed for students who want to attend medical school and have taken traditional premed coursework and the MCAT before applying"
http://catalog.drexel.edu/graduate/collegeofmedicine/drexelpathwaytomedicalschool/

https://www.drexelmed.edu/Home/Acad.../DrexelPathwaytoMedicalSchool/HowtoApply.aspx
Gives a little information on the program and pay attention to "who should apply?" section. They do not have a definitive type of student, nor do they mention a minimum MCAT or gpa to apply to the program. It's entirely up to the discretion of the department based on the applicants for that given year.

It's better to take your chance in applying if med school is what you desire. If you don't succeed and exhaust your paths then you can be satisfied at giving it your best. Also, talk w/ the program staff directly- dr. walker, dr. soslau, or ms. manganau. They know the program very well and the point people you'll deal w/ if accepted.

As a side note, I've mentioned this before, there are comparable careers for less commitment and stress along the way as well- anesthesiology assistant programs, PA, etc. Getting into med school is still one of the easy parts believe it or not :) Residency placements will be more competitive as there are more med schools without additional residency spots in equivalency. All the best to all & keep up the questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
@DragonDoc2018

Hello all,

As far as all these application completion confirmations, did you guys apply via the website or mail. I am taking the MCAT on the 22nd and literally feel like my head is full haha. I see that DragonDoc2018 has some amazing insight. So let me ask you if you think I am a good applicant.

Underrepresented minority in medicine - Female, Hispanic (Colombian)
sGPA: 2.5
cGPA: 2.8
SMDEP Yale
ED scribe for 4 years
MCAT - TBD

-- Do I have a shot???

Have any former DPMSers gotten in with a lower than recommended science GPA?

Has anyone who already submitted their application gotten a confirmation email yet?

Has anyone who already submitted their application gotten a confirmation email yet?
I got my completion confirmation email last month stating that they will be informing you of a decision after the application due date 4/23/14.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now.

@Danio710

Hello,

Honestly with DPMS, there is always a shot! Your GPAs are a little lower, but if you do decent on the MCAT that shouldn't be a problem. If there's a part in your course history that shows that you can handle harder sciences classes ie. an upward trend, or good grades in biochem or something, then the GPA shouldn't be a problem. If you present yourself really well in the application, then low GPA or MCAT definitely won't be a problem. If your application gives the ADCOMs the impression that you can do this, then you're going to be successful. I'm taking it on the 22nd also! Good luck.

@FutureMD827

Yes plenty! Myself included. As I told Danio, those that did had in someway proved that they could handle hard classes.

Last edited:
@Danio710

Hello,

Honestly with DPMS, there is always a shot! Your GPAs are a little lower, but if you do decent on the MCAT that shouldn't be a problem. If there's a part in your course history that shows that you can handle harder sciences classes ie. an upward trend, or good grades in biochem or something, then the GPA shouldn't be a problem. If you present yourself really well in the application, then low GPA or MCAT definitely won't be a problem. If your application gives the ADCOMs the impression that you can do this, then you're going to be successful. I'm taking it on the 22nd also! Good luck.

@FutureMD827

Yes plenty! Myself included. As I told Danio, those that did had in someway proved that they could handle hard classes.
Thank you and good luck on taking your MCAT. :)

hi

i got an email that stated that i will get another email to inform me what materials I was missing. I never got the second email?

only materiel that is on the way is my LOR via snail mail. Did you guys get complete email after LORs were received?

also for personal statement did you guys do just copy paste your AMCAS? i dont even remember what I wrote.

hi

i got an email that stated that i will get another email to inform me what materials I was missing. I never got the second email?

only materiel that is on the way is my LOR via snail mail. Did you guys get complete email after LORs were received?

also for personal statement did you guys do just copy paste your AMCAS? i dont even remember what I wrote.
I haven't gotten any sort of communication that my application is complete but I did turn in all of my material. Just a matter of time now. Also for the personal statement I just copied and pasted as well. :)

Any previous attendees of this program willing to read over my essays? I am looking to submit this weekend and would love some feedback.

I just got the call today for rejection. I wasn't qualified as a disadvantage applicant.
Good luck to everyone else applying.

in!! apps and LORs are in but waiting on transcripts

So, paper application vs online application?

Paper application, more control in "presenting self," and online I'm sure transmits faster.

Any previous attendees of this program willing to read over my essays? I am looking to submit this weekend and would love some feedback.

Yup- PM me and I'll give you my gmail. I'll read and give you appropriate feedback and viewpoints.

I just got the call today for rejection. I wasn't qualified as a disadvantage applicant.

That's difficult news indeed to receive. There are additional post-bac programs out there to enhance your credentials even if it's not conditional acceptance similar to dpms. Check aamc's post-bac program search. It'll add a few more years to your MD/DO pursuits but if that's what you want there's programs that aren't just for disadvantaged students.
All the best and stay optimistic.

Oh no! Best of luck to you I'm sure you'll be in a hospital making rounds like the rest of us one day :)

Okay everything but my but my application made. Not sure why since it was the first thing that I mailed -__-

Also does any one currently in the program know how much we get for the DPMS year for living expenses? I kind of want to start working out a budget.

Also does any one currently in the program know how much we get for the DPMS year for living expenses? I kind of want to start working out a budget.

It may change, but this year we got $10,600/semester for living expenses. Refer to earlier posts about rent costs and stuff.

did you apply as an economic disadvantage? I am applying under the same pretext. I hope I qualify for the program but I would understand if I don't.

The person who called me didn't know the reason why I wasn't a disadvantage applicant. But I'm keeping my hopes up for the future :)

Okay everything but my but my application made. Not sure why since it was the first thing that I mailed -__-
Do you receive status updates on what portions of the application they have received through email, or are you calling and asking them? Thanks

I highly recommend that anyone applying for the program this year (or next year even) try to participate in an information session. A good amount of the information they covered is directly on the website, but they are also very helpful and precise in answering any questions regarding the program and other programs as well.

Good luck to everyone applying this year!

Do you receive status updates on what portions of the application they have received through email, or are you calling and asking them? Thanks
I received a call from them but I finally got my application in their hands. So I should be getting a completion email soon.

I highly recommend that anyone applying for the program this year (or next year even) try to participate in an information session. A good amount of the information they covered is directly on the website, but they are also very helpful and precise in answering any questions regarding the program and other programs as well.

Good luck to everyone applying this year!
Wish I could but Philly is a long way from Florida :(

I'm posting some links that you all can refer to if you're indicating community service projects in your personal statements for dpms. You can see ducom's goal, their focus, etc and use those attributes to incorporate in your essays.
https://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/communityexperience/hop.html

This link is the website for ducom
http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/
You can look through the ifm section for year 1 and the classes you'd be taking (matched w/ your respective track) or ims.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry that's what I meant! I participated in an online information session and had my fee waived, as naijacardriodoc stated.
And thank you for the link, Dracosrg!

They have online info sessions. Your application fee is waived if you participate.
Thank you!!! I signed up for the online one in April. Did you complete the online info session before you submitted your application? I am ready to mail mine off, but I am wondering if I should include a check for the fee if I plan on particiapting in this info session.

@starfar when you registered and it asked you which program you were interested in was the DPMS summer of 13 the only choice you could make? Isn't this last year?

Thank you!!! I signed up for the online one in April. Did you complete the online info session before you submitted your application? I am ready to mail mine off, but I am wondering if I should include a check for the fee if I plan on particiapting in this info session.

Don't include your check...that means you essentially paid for your application and you won't qualify for the fee waiver. Someone asked this question in the online info session. They take your first and last name during the info session and match it to your app once it gets to their office.