Drexel DPMS 2014-15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know that 3 LORs (2 from natural science professors) are required for the application but can we send in more than 3 LORs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it alright that there is some inconsistency in the GPA calculated using the system provided and the GPA I indicated in the Math/Science/Cumulative section? The GPA on my transcript is not the same as the GPA I calculated.

Drexel uses a .67 for a "-" and a .33 for "+" I don't know if that may be causing the discrepancy?

Everyone keeps saying that for GPA calculations, there is some automated way on the website any way someone can send me a link to this, or is the sheet that you fill out manually, the sheet that everyone is referring to.

I realized (after submitting) that I made a slight mistake. I sent my transcript in of course, so hopefully I don't get lambasted for inaccuracy/carelessness ><

Best of luck to everyone applying! Hopefully I'll see some of you on the flip side.

Reactions: 1 user
I made a mistake too. I just emailed the office and let them know, it will not be a big deal!

Thank you for your reassurance and all your help! :) I'll keep you posted!

I did the exactly same thing with my grade sheet. Like was stated, I email Carol and she told me to submit a new grade sheet. I think I was more upset at myself for being careless. I only made a mistake with one course and I had to re-entered everything again. Hopefully it was worth it. Good luck!

Is anyone who mailed in there application and supplemental materials having a tough time with the office?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you haven't sent it in does this mean your at the bottom of the application list. Or if you get in in by thursday then you will be be considered with that group?

If you haven't sent it in does this mean your at the bottom of the application list. Or if you get in in by thursday then you will be be considered with that group?
Whenever you send something in to the office you are at the bottom of the list. I'm not sure if you will be group according to when your application was received. Most likely you will be group according to when your application was reviewed.

Does everyone have an equal chance or is it first come first serve

Application finally completed whoop whoop!

Application submitted 12/11/13. Complete 2/21/14. II 4/8/14. They emailed me and and gave me 3 possible interview dates. 4/23,4/24, and 4/29. I chose 4/23.:nailbiting: 2 weeks away!!

Reactions: 8 users
Application submitted 12/11/13. Complete 2/21/14. II 4/8/14. They emailed me and and gave me 3 possible interview dates. 4/23,4/24, and 4/29. I chose 4/23.:nailbiting: 2 weeks away!!
Good luck and let us know how it goes

Congratulations on your invite Senoritalolita.

Not be mean/condescending or anything, I called the office today (as I was curious about the status of my application- I was complete around early February) since interview invites were being sent out according to the previous poster, I wanted to see if I was rejected. I asked about the interview invites and the rejection letters. Thelia (the coordinator) told me the interview invites are being sent out after the deadline of April 25th and that rejections can be sent out at any time.

Really strange... would appreciate if anyone else called the office and received a similar response (or different?)

I

Not be mean/condescending or anything, I called the office today (as I was curious about the status of my application- I was complete around early February) since interview invites were being sent out according to the previous poster, I wanted to see if I was rejected. I asked about the interview invites and the rejection letters. Thelia (the coordinator) told me the interview invites are being sent out after the deadline of April 25th and that rejections can be sent out at any time.

Really strange... would appreciate if anyone else called the office and received a similar response (or different?)
i was told the same thing

My app was complete in January and got an interview invite on Teusday as well. My guess is Senoritalolita's app was also complete a bit earlier.

Reactions: 2 users

No it's cool. When I got the email, I was a bit worried it was a rejection because it came well before they said they would be sending it out. But yea it was an II. I even called to make sure it was an interview invite for the correct program before I set up my interview date. Weird but hey I'm not complaining.

My app was complete in January and got an interview invite on Teusday as well. My guess is Senoritalolita's app was also complete a bit earlier.

Congrats!!! What day did you end up choosing?

Okay for the Math Science GPS calculations should I include specialized genetics classes based on a very particular major that my university has, and also nutrition?

Like Senoritalolita I finished my app pretty early (December) and got an invite for those same dates, however, I needed to push it back til May so I will be interviewing in May.

Like Senoritalolita I finished my app pretty early (December) and got an invite for those same dates, however, I needed to push it back til May so I will be interviewing in May.
Congrats on the interview. Hopefully we both get in.

Hello,

I'm also a current DPMSer, I can answer any questions you may have.... Looks like a lot's been answered already though.

Not sure if this was asked but are decisions about acceptance made after all the interviews are completed?

Not sure if this was asked but are decisions about acceptance made after all the interviews are completed?

The majority, yes. A few will be decided upon prior to all the applicants being reviewed if it stands out sufficiently. They med school batches them on the admission committee days- Thursday I believe. Also, some applicants are told very last minute- the week or even a few days prior to the program beginning as some dpms people that receive acceptance decide to go another route or are accepted at a med school they've been waiting for, etc.

No. Some applicants who stand out will receive notification early that they are accepted. The majority are batched when the admission committee meets (every thursday i believe) and they review all those who have had their interviews already. They have a list of potentials and this list is either kept and the interviewers notified or it's revisited again as more interviews finish their process. They hear the news on a semi rolling basis. Try not to fret if you don't hear for a few weeks-- people have received acceptances up to the day before the program starts as some people drop out, get accepted to a med school they applied to, choose not to do it, etc.

It's not rolling admissions so I believe they give everyone an equal chance. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

If you get an interview the majority are batched and reviewed when the admission committee convenes. Some interviewees who stand out will get the approval of the admissions committee and receive word of acceptance sooner than the rest. If you get an interview, you'll be considered along w/ all the others that were offered an interview aside from those that already received an acceptance to the program.

Prep now...time goes by fast and the interviewers expect you to be able to convey and communicate yourself fluently, professionally, and maturely in the interview just as regular med apps would be. This is your med school interview. That said, it's cafe style and the interviewers will mostly try to get you comfortable and at ease. Know yourself inside and out, have succinct responses, get rid of your 'um, uh, eh, like, ya,' etc. fillers, and have an understanding of what drexel is about. go to webcampus (posted in earlier posts) and see what the school offers.

I'll help prep those that are interested. If not all the best to you all.

Hey! was your personal statement single spaced? what are your margin settings? Thanks :)

Hey! was your personal statement single spaced? what are your margin settings? Thanks :)
The med school committee prefers single spaced, 1 page. Margins would be the standard margins on a new doc in ms word/office. Font you can use is pretty typical of times new roman 12. From being on the committee as a student it gets annoying paging through an application that is 1.5 or double spaced with too little or too large of font, and that was only doing it for a year so I can only imagine how the other committee faculty that do it continuously must feel. The point of your PS is to get your issues and qualifications across in a succinct manner while holding the attention of the reader. There's power in 'less is more.' But, IF that at all makes you uncomfortable then go with what you desire so you have no doubt it did or didn't go your way b/c of someone else's input.

Good luck and congrats to all that have interviews & are prepping! You're on your way there.

How many people get invited for interviews or what percentage.

Yes!! Hopefully. Are you doing anything to prep for it?
Right now I'm trying to make sure I know more about the school. I've had a medical school interview and few mock interviews from when I entered this past cycle that helped me prep a little. So I feel comfortable in that respect. I'll definitely let you know how it goes next week.

Okay so for my essay it was single spaced, one inch margins, 11 font and times new roman and it was just the page but I submitted the essay online which changed it to a different format and put it over a page, does anyone know if this is a huge deal?

What exactly is this in reference to and what group are you talking about specifically?

How many people get invited for interviews or what percentage.

This year the dpms office may get up to 600 applications (that's not to say they're all complete, qualified, etc). From those about 1/4 or ~100 people(if they're qualified applicants) get forwarded to the med school to be reviewed. There are up to 40-43 spots (one of the current dpmsers can correct this) that can be accepted. The school can choose to fill it to capacity in which EVERYONE granted the conditional acceptance has the SAME OPPORTUNITY to matriculate the following year if they meet requirements of the program, or ducom can elect to fill less spots if candidates were not considered competitive enough.

Did you guys use the same essay from AMCAS as your personal statement or typed a different one?