Drexel DPMS 2014-15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Re: Interview Qs

I've been getting numerous PMs about what the interview questions are so I'll be pasting this to those PMs in addition to posting it for everyone else.

DUCOM doesn't have a list of standard questions they ask. It's up to the interviewers to ask whatever they deem fit. What's assessed is ability to communicate, professionalism, ability to get along w/ others, commitment and knowledge of the field of medicine, mentality, maturity, potential for success, and an understanding of what you'll be getting into as a physician.

A common question that is asked in one form or another (ie this is NOT verbatim) is 'tell me about yourself', 'what brought you here,' 'why are you here,' 'what do you hope to get out of this experience,' 'why do you think this program would benefit you,' 'why did you have trouble or difficulty applying the typical route,' etc. Expect questions regarding your academics, your mcat scores or breakdown, any fails or retakes, and questions to get to know you as an individual or your character/personality. Most interviewers try to make you comfortable. Some are not as personable as others but don't let that get to you. Shine as much as you can. Again, I strongly suggest you start getting to know yourself by going through common interview questions- be it one's you find or the long one I posted. If some of the questions seem redundant- good, and be able to recognize that on your interview day and guide your responses to highlight your qualities.

If you ever had previous interviews w/ medical schools in previous cycles then go back and revisit your responses and why you think it didn't go your way for an acceptance offer. Those experiences are just as important and if you can recall anything that will help you improve or fair better for your med school interview at ducom then you will be better off. Recall, these interview invites are you med school interview. The faculty is well versed in assessing an applicant almost immediately, and this holds more true for the faculty that are practicing physicians for better or worse.
Good luck ladies & gents!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else received an Interview invite? Looking at last years thread ppl were getting invites for dates in mid to late May by now.

my interview should be set for april 29th, not confirmed yet though

Congrats to everyone granted interviews-- prepare super hard, this is your golden opportunity! Just to possibly reassure some people, there is pretty equal chance for everyone timewise. I wasn't complete until mid April. It isn't rolling admissions or anything, so don't think you're at a disadvantage if you're running a little late.

(Posted similar as above so deleted this entry)

Last edited:
Just been busy refreshing my email every minute of every day

Reactions: 7 users
When do they stop giving out interviews like if you haven't heard back by then should you acting out plan b

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how the current DPMS students did this year? How many students met the requirements of the contract?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hear is hoping to hear something soon!! And for those who were lucky to interview early please do share your experience as I am sure everyone would be greatful to read about how the interviews went. Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
Hear is hoping to hear something soon!! And for those who were lucky to interview early please do share your experience as I am sure everyone would be greatful to read about how the interviews went. Thanks and good luck to everyone.
I agree please share because sharing is caring

@DragonDoc2018

I have a question about the essay portion. I have completed everything. I'm about to send out my application. Before I send it I have a question. How should we answer this portion:

In paragraph form state your college honors, awards, and describe your research activities.
web_required_cascade.png
Will do
Describe your extra-curricular, community service and volunteer experiences.
web_required_cascade.png

So I basically just wrote a paragraph for each experience. Basically took the short paragraphs from AMCAS? DO you think this is the correct way to go about this? I copied the paragraphs from my AMCAS. I hope that is...

@DragonDoc2018

I have a question about the essay portion. I have completed everything. I'm about to send out my application. Before I send it I have a question. How should we answer this portion:

In paragraph form state your college honors, awards, and describe your research activities.
web_required_cascade.png
Will do
Describe your extra-curricular, community service and volunteer experiences.
web_required_cascade.png

So I basically just wrote a paragraph for each experience. Basically took the short paragraphs from AMCAS? DO you think this is the correct way to go about this? I copied the paragraphs from my AMCAS. I hope that is...

Hello,

I remember basically just writing about half a page summarizing my major awards and honors and my most significant ECs. I didn't copy and paste my AMCAS, just summarized everything.

@naijacardriodoc

Hopefully we'll have about 35 make it. All of track 2 made it, and we're waiting on MCAT scores for track 1 students.

wish there were cheaper options to get to philly from the south smhhh

Do interview invites get busier after the deadline as been reached. Because its been queit after those first two interviews invites announcement. Also to calm myself down

Does anyone know how the current DPMS students did this year? How many students met the requirements of the contract?

They are not done yet officially. Some will just be taking there mcats (or again). The only ones that would know best whether or not they met the criteria would be track 2 students (the ones that didnt have to retake their mcats because they already had the score coming in). HOWEVER, no one is official yet. Ask in 3 weeks again. They should have a meeting by that time detailing how many made it officially. Some may be accepted even if contract was not met--depends on the medical school committee.

Last edited:
Do interview invites get busier after the deadline as been reached. Because its been queit after those first two interviews invites announcement. Also to calm myself down
yes. theyll send more out. right now there's a lot going on at the school but really this is the first week after the deadline so its still early.

When do they stop giving out interviews like if you haven't heard back by then should you acting out plan b

interviews can occur up to a few days before the program starts. it can be that spontaneous and hectic. depends on how the movement of those interviewed and accepted goes.
hope either works out for you.

Completed my interview today. Here's a little breakdown:
There were 4 of us who interviewed today.
8:30-9am we completed an essay prompt.
9-10 we received info about the program and were given the opportunity to ask Dr. Loretta Walker questions regarding the program
10-11am were faculty interviews. They were set up in 30min blocks. There were 2 interviewers. 2 of us had one interviewer and the other 2 of us had the other interviewer.
  • One interviewer was pretty laid back and very conversational from what I heard. The other interviewer(mine) was more formal. It was less conversational and more me just answering questions he threw at me. He was very nice and I felt pretty comfortable but his interview style was just different from what I expected. What I will say is that he seemed pretty attentive. I felt like he really went through my file before I came in. And it seemed like he was taking very detailed notes every single time I opened my mouth to say something. lol
11am-12pm- tour of the facilities/ small break
12pm lunch with current med students who also happened to have gone through the DPMS program. You get a $7 voucher for lunch(yay free food:claps:)
Then you were free to leave after that

*Loretta said ppl won't here back for acceptances until about the first week of June.

Hope this helps. Good Luck all :cigar::thumbup:

Reactions: 7 users
9-10 we received info about the program and were given the opportunity to ask Dr. Loretta Walker questions regarding the program
10-11am were faculty interviews. They were set up in 30min blocks. There were 2 interviewers. 2 of us had one interviewer and the other 2 of us had the other interviewer.
  • One interviewer was pretty laid back and very conversational from what I heard. The other interviewer(mine) was more formal. It was less conversational and more me just answering questions he threw at me. He was very nice and I felt pretty comfortable but his interview style was just different from what I expected. What I will say is that he seemed pretty attentive. I felt like he really went through my file before I came in. And it seemed like he was taking very detailed notes every single time I opened my mouth to say something. lol
12pm lunch with current med students who also happened to have gone through the DPMS program. You get a $7 voucher for lunch(yay free food:claps:)

*Loretta said ppl won't here back for acceptances until about the first week of June.

Thanks for the information! I guess most of us will start to hear something after the deadline.

Thanks for the info =)

Yup. No Problem. If you want to know more about the interview, just PM me :). Again good luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 1 user
Whaaaaaaaaaat people are getting interviewed already? I could have sworn they said they were only interviewing after the deadline which is this firday. I'm fried

Is the application due by tonight at 11:59 pm or tomorrow by 11:59 pm??

interviews can occur up to a few days before the program starts. it can be that spontaneous and hectic. depends on how the movement of those interviewed and accepted goes.
hope either works out for you.
I just got a call from them(dpms) and they asked me to set an informal 10-15minutes interview over the phone for next week. I am surprise and confused at the same time. Anyway I picked wednesday. Does anybody know why the informal interview in my case? Do all Dpmsers interviewed at the school? Any info?

Reactions: 2 users
yea it was quick but nobody seems to know why mine is over the phone

i think the application cycle stole all of my investments, but what's another thousand?...
If you get into med school you'll quickly amass a large debt. One of the reasons to really understand if this is what you want to do is b/c it has such a high price to it unfortunately both in time and cost of $$. Good luck.

yea it was quick but nobody seems to know why mine is over the phone

What's your situation w/out going into detail....ie are you in Hawaii, abroad, economically disadvantaged, etc? The other question would be WHO interviewed you-- the DPMS office or the medical school? IF it's the dpms office it may have been to determine your status for passing your app to the med school. If it was the med school they would have indicated that to you.

One thing this should stress to everyone is that you should all be preparing regardless if you had the interview invite or not yet. I've done mocks w/ some of you already and many are finding your responses, demeanor, and flow is different from what you had practiced/reviewed on your own/with others.

I just got a call from them(dpms) and they asked me to set an informal 10-15minutes interview over the phone for next week. I am surprise and confused at the same time. Anyway I picked wednesday. Does anybody know why the informal interview in my case? Do all Dpmsers interviewed at the school? Any info?

PM'd you.

Last edited:
So what was the essay portion like? Computer based?

That will be handwritten- no need to write a book. 3/4 - 1 page max but you can go over if you so desire. It's no extra points. It's typically to a ethical question. There's a specific reason they do it aside from the obvious of assessing your reasoning/ethics. The other reason I won't divulge b/c it would take away from it's purpose.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey can someone tell me if you can pay your application fee online?