Drexel DPMS 2015-1016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Acceptances aren't sent out until everyone has been interviewed and reviewed by the admissions committee??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Acceptances aren't sent out until everyone has been interviewed and reviewed by the admissions committee??
Yep. It's not rolling admissions. On May 28th, they will review all applicants they have interviewed and take their pick.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I called the office and was told that my file was complete and under review... but I have never been able to see any status updates on the banner site or portal. I submitted a day before the deadline. Should I call the office again?

WHy call again if you have been told you were under review?

What number are you calling? I have called the dpms office number a couple times and I always get the answering machine. I have also left messages but have never been called back. So maybe I am dialing the wrong number? I call the number on the website and then press 2 for the dpms office. Is that what everyone has been doing? Thank you :)

Hey guys, so as I mentioned a week ago, I was rejected for DPMS, but I just got called to notify me of acceptance into the IMS program. So
I know there's other threads solely for the IMS applicants, but there's some seriously great / hopeful people on this thread, and I was hoping I could get some advice from you guys.

My stats are 3.35ish sGPA 29 MCAT, (11P,7V,11B). Originally I was planning to take the year off if I didn't get into the DPMS program, but still apply for the the regular admissions cycle this year (not too optimistic), and work/volunteer through the gap year to boost my credentials and also retake the MCAT.

But since I got into IMS, would you guys think it's a better option than taking the gap year and retaking the MCAT? They said I missed the guaranteed interview due to my MCAT score. However, they also said that some students that do really well in the program are extended an interview.

I have no idea what would be a better option. It's basically a question of "Should I just take the gap year, boost some credentials and retake the MCAT?" or "Should I spend ~30K on this program, to boost up my GPA a little bit, keep my MCAT, and MAYBE do well enough to get a interview at DUCOM?"
(Also, I fall into the group Economically disadvantaged group).

Will IMS actually help me get into a medical school? Even if not DUCOM?
And is there anyone else who's been rejected to DPMS but accepted to IMS? I'd love to hear your plans / decisions as well.
Your overall MCAT isn't bad at all, I'd take that and run with it UNLESS you know you could get a better score. And know for sure... I think the main culprit may be your GPA, but even with that, you should be able to get into a medical school if you apply to the right one, which may be why you weren't admitted to DPMS. Your best bet is to take a few grad classes, do very well, boost your GPA while doing some clinical work and applying to medical school. You'll probably get it in!! But that's just my opinion. I sat in a lot of medical school admission information sessions with different medical schools and your MCAT is good enough to get you through to the second round of most medical school's application process, so I'd focus on my GPA if I were you.

Reactions: 2 users
What number are you calling? I have called the dpms office number a couple times and I always get the answering machine. I have also left messages but have never been called back. So maybe I am dialing the wrong number? I call the number on the website and then press 2 for the dpms office. Is that what everyone has been doing? Thank you :)

That is the number that I have been calling. The couple times I called I was able to get a hold of someone. Both times I called around 3pm and was successful. Hope that helps

I wouldn't leave a message, I highly doubt they'll call you back at this point. Try emailing.

So I called the office and was told that my file was complete and under review... but I have never been able to see any status updates on the banner site or portal. I submitted a day before the deadline. Should I call the office again?

Naw they confirmed that they have your application, and they are reviewing it. Wait back until you get a response. Or if you want, send an email to them to confirm receipt of your app.

I had the same problem. Instead of pressing 2 , press 1.

Or hit 6 for the main office for all the programs. Always got someone.

Hey guys, so as I mentioned a week ago, I was rejected for DPMS, but I just got called to notify me of acceptance into the IMS program. So
I know there's other threads solely for the IMS applicants, but there's some seriously great / hopeful people on this thread, and I was hoping I could get some advice from you guys.

My stats are 3.35ish sGPA 29 MCAT, (11P,7V,11B). Originally I was planning to take the year off if I didn't get into the DPMS program, but still apply for the the regular admissions cycle this year (not too optimistic), and work/volunteer through the gap year to boost my credentials and also retake the MCAT.

But since I got into IMS, would you guys think it's a better option than taking the gap year and retaking the MCAT? They said I missed the guaranteed interview due to my MCAT score. However, they also said that some students that do really well in the program are extended an interview.

I have no idea what would be a better option. It's basically a question of "Should I just take the gap year, boost some credentials and retake the MCAT?" or "Should I spend ~30K on this program, to boost up my GPA a little bit, keep my MCAT, and MAYBE do well enough to get a interview at DUCOM?"

And is there anyone else who's been rejected to DPMS but accepted to IMS? I'd love to hear your plans / decisions as well.

You have good enough stats for straight admissions especially to DUCOM. You shouldn't waste your money on IMS as I've heard it isn't really a guarantee and the percentage of people that matriculate is very low. Take your gap year to focus on gaining clinical experience that will set you apart in the application cycle. When you are ready (after gap year), apply to schools that fit what you are looking for as well as your profile. Many schools are looking to boost their diversity, so being economically disadvantaged might work in your favor depending on where you apply. This is information that I have received from various places (admin officers, med students, former DPMSer, etc). Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay thank you! I ended up emailing them but if they dont get back I will press 6. Also @drminajoon I wouldn't worry too much about it because I am in the same boat. I have never been able to see anything on the portal or banner page and I also submitted near the deadline so they probably just haven't gotten to us yet :)

Good luck guys. I got into another program. So If DPMS does not think i am good enough to fit in their program and does not send me an II, I hope most of you guys get that chance!

Do any current or previous DPMSers know if the MCAT review books are provided or do we purchase them overselves? I was thinking of starting some MCAT prep over the summer and was wondering should I buy some review books.

Hey, are you a minority? Also are you open to applying to DO schools? If so, I would work towards that instead of IMS. Your stats are very reasonable and you'll have a good chance if you apply early.
All the best!

Good luck guys. I got into another program. So If DPMS does not think i am good enough to fit in their program and does not send me an II, I hope most of you guys get that chance!
Congrats!

So I've interviewed for DPMS but have gotten accepted into another 2 year postbac where I will earn my MS in Medical Science. Although they do not guarantee matriculation at a medical school, in the first year they focus on MCAT prep and applications while the second year is based off of MS1 and their final exam is based off the Step 1 exam. Any suggestions on what I should do?

So I've interviewed for DPMS but have gotten accepted into another 2 year postbac where I will earn my MS in Medical Science. Although they do not guarantee matriculation at a medical school, in the first year they focus on MCAT prep and applications while the second year is based off of MS1 and their final exam is based off the Step 1 exam. Any suggestions on what I should do?
im gonna go on a limb here and say by your username that you're an AKA, if so, Diggs love from the nupes...if not, that will all sound super foreign to you and disregard.lol..

I would say the pros of a DPMS is of course firstly the guaranteed acceptance, but that will come on the condition that you are able to get the gpa and the MCAT (which I'm presuming you're gonna need to retake since the MCAT prep is a factor in your decision). The DPMS is also 1 year as opposed to 2 which is a pro if time is a factor, and it is also important to note that DPMS is supposed to be transitioning to a masters program with this upcoming class and also does provide an MCAT prep for track 1 students.

The cons would be that if you are not able to make the contract, you will be out $25,000+ and no medical school acceptance to show.

The other program does seem like a great preparation for a medical school applicant, and would leave your options open to other schools if you perform well, but I would say that if you are confident in your ability to get the MCAT and gpa, then DPMS is the best choice, assuming there are not some other factors drawing you to the other program. I believe that if you do well in either, you will ultimately be fine.

Patience is a virtue that I have not mastered to say the least...when you're waiting for something days seem to last 32 hours.lol...im anxious and excited to see what happens for us all, 20 days till decisions are made and it feels like a lifetime away. good luck to everyone and to those still waiting for an II, I'm sure its not too late.

I have a feeling like 10 years from now when we're all physicians we're gonna come back on this forum and just laugh with our colleagues and friends about how sad a bunch of nerds we were.lol..and how we ended up right where we belonged in the end.

Reactions: 2 users
Where did most of you stay the day of your interview? I was hoping to stay somewhere closer to the city so that I can experience Philly after my interview?

Anyone staying at the Student Guest House MD for next monday May 11th interview? or where are you guy staying? I'll be arriving in Philly on Sunday Morning...message me if you wanna meet up and maybe explore the city ....

im gonna go on a limb here and say by your username that you're an AKA, if so, Diggs love from the nupes...if not, that will all sound super foreign to you and disregard.lol..

I would say the pros of a DPMS is of course firstly the guaranteed acceptance, but that will come on the condition that you are able to get the gpa and the MCAT (which I'm presuming you're gonna need to retake since the MCAT prep is a factor in your decision). The DPMS is also 1 year as opposed to 2 which is a pro if time is a factor, and it is also important to note that DPMS is supposed to be transitioning to a masters program with this upcoming class and also does provide an MCAT prep for track 1 students.

The cons would be that if you are not able to make the contract, you will be out $25,000+ and no medical school acceptance to show.

The other program does seem like a great preparation for a medical school applicant, and would leave your options open to other schools if you perform well, but I would say that if you are confident in your ability to get the MCAT and gpa, then DPMS is the best choice, assuming there are not some other factors drawing you to the other program. I believe that if you do well in either, you will ultimately be fine.
I am lol much love much love!
But thanks so much that definitely helps. And It'll be great if they get approved to be a masters program because then if by some unfortunate event I don't make contract I'll have something to show for my time, work...and money lol. As far as the MCAT, I think the track I/II cut off is a 23 with I believe an 8B/8P/7V minimum and I got a 23 with a 8B/9P/6V so I'm praying I don't have to retake it (although that's not the best score in general) so we'll see.

Thank you @DocHippie @OnTheRoadToHelpOthers and @OmoNaijj !
This is definitely a tough decision, but it's good to hear great advice. I agree with many of the things you guys have suggested, thankfully I have a few weeks to either accept or deny the acceptance.

And @OmoNaijj , I am not a minority, and I am open to DO schools as well, if not for this admissions cycle, then definitely for the next. I am a PA resident, so I was hoping I'll have some shot at DUCOM or maybe TCMC.

But good luck to you guys! Hope DPMS works out for everyone!

So being a past DPMSer current med student and knowing a good amount of IMS students both that made it and a bunch that didn't make it. I would say with your stats it probably isn't worth the time or the money. As you mentioned you won't be guaranteed an interview with that MCAT score, so then you would basically have to outshine a bunch of other IMS students competing for a spot. I know a good amount of IMS students that did well and yet still didn't make it and did the second year of IMS and still didn't make it.

That being said I honestly think your grades are stats are all around pretty good to get into med school straight up. I would suggest to look at med school avg MCAT and GPA's for matriculating students and then apply to those schools and apply broadly to a bunch of schools. If you are a disadvantaged applicant you should be eligible for the FAP to help pay for med school applications, so look into that and apply for it. As for what to do with you time off, I think your sGPA isn't that bad so unless you feel u should boost it more then I would say do something to make urself stand out. Do research and get more clinical exposure or whatever may be lacking in your app beef that up. Also apply to DO schools your def in the range and make sure you apply early next cycle get everything turned in as quickly as you can. As far as DUCOM favoring you because your a PA resident, DUCOM's a private school and doesn't give preference to anyone. I would say probably half or more of my class is from out of state, from as far as florida and california and a bunch of people from NJ. Hope that helps and good luck. If you have any specific questions feel free to message me. Good luck to you.

I am lol much love much love!
But thanks so much that definitely helps. And It'll be great if they get approved to be a masters program because then if by some unfortunate event I don't make contract I'll have something to show for my time, work...and money lol. As far as the MCAT, I think the track I/II cut off is a 23 with I believe an 8B/8P/7V minimum and I got a 23 with a 8B/9P/6V so I'm praying I don't have to retake it (although that's not the best score in general) so we'll see.

They are looking to change it into a Masters, but from what I heard I'm not sure if it will happen this year or the next tho. With your MCAT score aka Verbal being a 6 you will unfortunately be placed into track 1 and have to retake the MCAT. Verbal has been the Achilles heel for many people I know that did DPMS and its also one area that they aren't too lenient on.

That all being said DPMS is by far the best bang for your time/money IF you know you can work hard and make the MCAT and GPA, because your med school seat is guaranteed. So, if you get accepted I would recommend you take this opportunity and make the most of it, but thats just my opinion. Good luck to you with whatever you decide.

Do any current or previous DPMSers know if the MCAT review books are provided or do we purchase them overselves? I was thinking of starting some MCAT prep over the summer and was wondering should I buy some review books.

Ok last reply then bed haha. They will provide you all of the books and study supplies for the mcat, you will be taking the Princeton Review for the MCAT prep. So don't waste your money on buying them now. If your close to philly you can have my books they are basically brand new cause I already had a set. If you want them message me. I will say tho, if you get accepted into DPMS and are placed into track one and still want to take the MCAT in the summer. MCAT sure you are well prepared and if you can get the required score before the fall semester start then do it! From the people who i know that have done that in the past they move you into track 2 and you then can go thru the year without worrying for the MCAT. Either way good luck!

Hey guys.

I was one of maybe 8 or 9 people to interview today. The entire process was really relaxing and easy flowing, so try not to stress out too much. There was a writing prompt (very straight forward, you DO NOT have to have any prior knowledge about anything, so don't freak out). I can only specifically attest to my interview, but for the most part the general consensus was that the students thought their interviews went pretty well. Some advice, know your application inside out! majority of my interview questions were about my resume.

What I did to prepare for my interview was reread my application (i.e. essay, resume, and short answer responses), print out questions from the last ~ 4 years [from this site (http://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/ducom/survey/26#survey-result) which provides examples of questions students were asked in the past] and literally wrote out bullet points I would want to touch upon if i was to be asked this question, and lastly I did a mock interview with my mom. lol

Honestly I did all of this starting two days before my interview but it could easily be done in one. Overall the entire process seem to flow well and the questions I personally were asked weren't anything crazy or too difficult. With that being said I think confidence is EVERYTHING! I am sure you all will do fine with your upcoming interviews. Feel free to ask me any specific questions you may have. Good luck!

*And now the waiting game begins*

Were you asked any questions that made you think on your feet?

Hey can anyone answer these last year drexel interview questions ?

1. What problems will you have as a future physician

2. What are the current challenges in healthcare and how can we improve it ?

3. what are your thoughts on health care economics ..

Last edited:
does anyone know if taking the mcat before matriculation disqualifies you ?heard that today

Last edited:
Hey can anyone answer these last year drexel interview questions ?

1. What problems will you have as a future physician

2. What are the current challenges in healthcare and how can we improve it ?

3. what are your thoughts on health care economics ....please help me :oops::oops::oops::oops:
I don't mean to be a jerk by saying this but I think it would probably be inappropriate and pretty unethical for anyone to give you/help you out with the answers of these questions. You are expected to have a personal viewpoint on these things as a future physician

Reactions: 3 users
I know this is going to be an unpopular view point to those who have not yet interviewed, but I do think it is unfair to ask for exact information or insight regarding the interview, general information on the layout and what to expect is fine but to ask for detailed accounts for one weakens the integrity of the process, two gives an unfair advantage to those who interviewed later, and three we are all whether we like it or not are in competition for a competitive program that I'm sure we all want. I don't think insisting on being fair is mean, but I apologize for anyone who is put off by my statement.

I know this is going to be an unpopular view point to those who have not yet interviewed, but I do think it is unfair to ask for exact information or insight regarding the interview, general information on the layout and what to expect is fine but to ask for detailed accounts for one weakens the integrity of the process, two gives an unfair advantage to those who interviewed later, and three we are all whether we like it or not are in competition for a competitive program that I'm sure we all want. I don't think insisting on being fair is mean, but I apologize for anyone who is put off by my statement.
I completely agree. @PersistentDoc21 If you want to be successful in your interview you should be yourself, not a bit of everyone else. Being prepared for those types of questions require research and you incorporating your own personal/moral beliefs. That way, the interviewer can accurately determine if you'd be a good fit for the program. I will tell you, though, that "integrity" was part of the subject for the writing assignment.

Those are questions from past years , I don't think it's unethical to ask what problems people face as future physicians or opinions on any one of those questions. It helps to get other people's point of view but I'll accept that it may give an unfair advantage so never mind

Last edited:
Wishing everybody luck and counting down to May 28th!

Those are questions from past years , I don't think it's unethical to ask what problems people face as future physicians or opinions on any one of those questions. It helps to get other people's point of view but I'll accept that it may give an unfair advantage so never mind

The answers are fairly obvious, google can lead you to the key points. chances are we will all give the same answers, it's how you reflect on the issues that matters.

Did anyone with an interview use the 14-15 application? I'm assuming that application works as well since I was marked complete and under review.

Did anyone with an interview use the 14-15 application? I'm assuming that application works as well since I was marked complete and under review.
Yes, that's the right one

Were you asked any questions that made you think on your feet?

All of the questions I was asked in my interview were regarding my personal journey. So I wouldn't categorize them as making me think on my feet because I didn't feel the need to "make something up". One piece of advice I would give is, know why you're doing this whole medical school process, and know it well. Try not to have generic answers and make yourself standout.

Is that when we're suppose to hear if we got in or not?

Yeah around there. I'm pretty sure the committee is meeting for final decisions on May 28th. I interviewed last Friday and Dr. Walker said they're aiming to have decisions out by May 29th. 18 days.

Is that when we're suppose to hear if we got in or not?
On my interview day we were told that decisions would be out May 29 (which would be a Friday) or, if not by then, for sure June 1 (which would be the following Monday). It's nice to have concrete dates that we will know for sure either way.

Ok last reply then bed haha. They will provide you all of the books and study supplies for the mcat, you will be taking the Princeton Review for the MCAT prep. So don't waste your money on buying them now. If your close to philly you can have my books they are basically brand new cause I already had a set. If you want them message me. I will say tho, if you get accepted into DPMS and are placed into track one and still want to take the MCAT in the summer. MCAT sure you are well prepared and if you can get the required score before the fall semester start then do it! From the people who i know that have done that in the past they move you into track 2 and you then can go thru the year without worrying for the MCAT. Either way good luck!

Can you talk about your summer experience in DPMS? How many classes are there during the summer? Do track 1 students typically devote extra time to studying for the MCAT during the summer? How much time did people devote to looking for housing and what was that process like? Did most people bring cars? Also what is financial aid like for the entire program? Do people typically fill out the FAFSA after final decisions are made? During my interview we were told we would each be paired with a former DPMS student - I'm sure that was really helpful, what other support services do they have for DPMSers (tutors, etc)? Anything you else you think would be helpful for us to know? Anything you wish you would have known beforehand? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! This question is for you too @naijapride and other former DPMSers. I asked a lot of these questions during interview day, but I think it is important to get as many perspectives as possible. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am still waiting for them to get back to me. I constantly check my email, the banner, and the portal but nothing has changed so far. I'm getting really nervous now as everyone at least have their II or rejection already. Should I contact them? Am I the only one still waiting?

Do people receive their rejection letters via email? I got the confirmation that my application is complete via email, but I can't see the status on Portal.

I'm in the same boat. Just silence. No II, and no rejection letter. I feel like it's too late in the game to receive an II, so I just want to at least receive a rejection email soon and move on. This whole silence think is just making things worse.

Rejection yesterday via email pre II, because my app wasn't "complete" by the deadline. Whelp!!