Drexel DPMS 2015-1016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you talk about your summer experience in DPMS? How many classes are there during the summer? Do track 1 students typically devote extra time to studying for the MCAT during the summer? How much time did people devote to looking for housing and what was that process like? Did most people bring cars? Also what is financial aid like for the entire program? Do people typically fill out the FAFSA after final decisions are made? During my interview we were told we would each be paired with a former DPMS student - I'm sure that was really helpful, what other support services do they have for DPMSers (tutors, etc)? Anything you else you think would be helpful for us to know? Anything you wish you would have known beforehand? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! This question is for you too @naijapride and other former DPMSers. I asked a lot of these questions during interview day, but I think it is important to get as many perspectives as possible. Thanks!

Hi everyone,
I just completed DPMS this year and hopefully getting my letter of acceptance into the med school shortly. Ask me anything, I'll try and respond as best and quickly as I can. Most of this is my opinion, aspects of the program will change so I can not guarantee anything. Just my advice and I how I approached it. Not everyone is the same, so always keep that in mind.

This is to answer NaijaMed: From what I hear our summer was very different from what yours will be. We had old lectures streamed in a lecture hall for us to watch to familiarize ourselves with what the beginning of the year would be like. All that was required was attendance. We took exams on the material but none of it counted nor did many people seriously study for them. I was track 2 so I can't really give insight to track 1, but from what I remember no one studied for the MCAT over summer. Looking for housing, enjoying yourself and making friends should be your priority over the summer. (the exception being, if you feel you have been out of school for a while and need to get back into the swing of studying then devote a few hours a day to remembering the whole study process and brushing up on basics). I started to look for housing my 2nd weekend here. Decided whether you want to live in Center City or by Queen Lane and then go from there. If you want to live in CC then you don't need a car, its a nuisance. If you live in queen lane, having a car is very very helpful but not vital if you have friends with cars. Financial aid can basically be broken down like this (more than this is over my head): Around 50K a year, 30K allotted to tuition, 20K for housing, transportation etc. If you want to know more you'd have to ask someone else because all I know is what they give me I have to budget and then pay back eventually. You can always take out less than the 50K if you have savings or parents to help out. Filling out FAFSA ahead of time can never hurt. Yes you get paired with a former DPMSer (they become your "big"), some will be more helpful than others, so you are by no means stuck to that person, ask anyone for help, we all want to help you out, we were just in your shoes! Some times people are busy so really just approach anyone and see who you connect with. There's free tutoring, study planning advisors, psychologist, and Dr. Walker to help with whatever you may need. ASK FOR HELP. If you need help throughout the year talk to people, talk to your friends do whatever it takes. I can not stress that enough. The people who made it successfully through DPMS asked for help when they were struggling (every one struggles at some point). Please do not be proud or embarrassed to ask, it will only hurt you later. I had a hard time in Physio first semester, I asked for help, changed my plan of attack and bam I'm here! Other people had a hard time, did not ask for help, and are not here......

That's my advice! Let me know if anyone needs anything else. Buena suerte!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
Hi everyone,

I am still waiting for them to get back to me. I constantly check my email, the banner, and the portal but nothing has changed so far. I'm getting really nervous now as everyone at least have their II or rejection already. Should I contact them? Am I the only one still waiting?

Anyone know what the last interview date is?

I'm in the same boat. Just silence. No II, and no rejection letter. I feel like it's too late in the game to receive an II, so I just want to at least receive a rejection email soon and move on. This whole silence think is just making things worse.

I am all these people +1

Absolute silence. Not hoping too hard anymore.

I am all these people +1

Absolute silence. Not hoping too hard anymore.

silence indeed sucks. I just spoke to admissions and they said within a week or two weeks we should get official notification of rejection or II. I still have a tiny bit of hope.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I just completed DPMS this year and hopefully getting my letter of acceptance into the med school shortly. Ask me anything, I'll try and respond as best and quickly as I can. Most of this is my opinion, aspects of the program will change so I can not guarantee anything. Just my advice and I how I approached it. Not everyone is the same, so always keep that in mind.

This is to answer NaijaMed: From what I hear our summer was very different from what yours will be. We had old lectures streamed in a lecture hall for us to watch to familiarize ourselves with what the beginning of the year would be like. All that was required was attendance. We took exams on the material but none of it counted nor did many people seriously study for them. I was track 2 so I can't really give insight to track 1, but from what I remember no one studied for the MCAT over summer. Looking for housing, enjoying yourself and making friends should be your priority over the summer. (the exception being, if you feel you have been out of school for a while and need to get back into the swing of studying then devote a few hours a day to remembering the whole study process and brushing up on basics). I started to look for housing my 2nd weekend here. Decided whether you want to live in Center City or by Queen Lane and then go from there. If you want to live in CC then you don't need a car, its a nuisance. If you live in queen lane, having a car is very very helpful but not vital if you have friends with cars. Financial aid can basically be broken down like this (more than this is over my head): Around 50K a year, 30K allotted to tuition, 20K for housing, transportation etc. If you want to know more you'd have to ask someone else because all I know is what they give me I have to budget and then pay back eventually. You can always take out less than the 50K if you have savings or parents to help out. Filling out FAFSA ahead of time can never hurt. Yes you get paired with a former DPMSer (they become your "big"), some will be more helpful than others, so you are by no means stuck to that person, ask anyone for help, we all want to help you out, we were just in your shoes! Some times people are busy so really just approach anyone and see who you connect with. There's free tutoring, study planning advisors, psychologist, and Dr. Walker to help with whatever you may need. ASK FOR HELP. If you need help throughout the year talk to people, talk to your friends do whatever it takes. I can not stress that enough. The people who made it successfully through DPMS asked for help when they were struggling (every one struggles at some point). Please do not be proud or embarrassed to ask, it will only hurt you later. I had a hard time in Physio first semester, I asked for help, changed my plan of attack and bam I'm here! Other people had a hard time, did not ask for help, and are not here......

This is great info so is the summer essentially an overview of what we are going to learn in the fall as well as getting to know fellow students and explore? For housing do students stay in dorms or were do dpms students stay?

silence indeed sucks. I just spoke to admissions and they said within a week or two weeks we should get official notification of rejection or II. I still have a tiny bit of hope.

But they are making a decision on the 28th, apparently the last day to interview is the 21st. So if we dont get an II for that date we out?
+pissed+ :bang:

Probably? My hope is that we are somehow in a last batch of applications being reviewed and will hear about an II this week. :/

This is great info so is the summer essentially an overview of what we are going to learn in the fall as well as getting to know fellow students and explore? For housing do students stay in dorms or were do dpms students stay?
Well from what I was just told you will be taking actual classes over the summer. That will count toward your GPA. But yes you should also spend time getting to know your fellow DPMSers. As of last year DPMS students stay in a dorm over the summer for free and then when fall classes hit you will have to have your own place.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the info!

Hi everyone,
I was hoping to get some advice. I applied to DPMS and submitted my application 4/23/15. I never received a complete email, and I assumed it was due to turning everything in so close to the deadline. I had emailed admissions asking them if they had received everything on 4/23/15, but I never received an email back. Yesterday I received an email saying that my application had not been reviewed due to them not having received everything before the deadline. I emailed them back to see what they did not receive in time. It turns out they did not receive one of my letters of recommendations. I called my letter write and she said she had submitted it on 4/22/15 by email and never received any indication that it was not sent/received. When I called the office today to speak to someone, the lady I spoke to said they never received it and there is nothing they can do to review my application at this point in time. I want to speak to someone else about it to see if there is any way they can review it since it seems like it was some sort of technology glitch. Do current DPMS students have any suggestions on who I can speak to directly?

Thanks for the help!

Hi everyone,
I was hoping to get some advice. I applied to DPMS and submitted my application 4/23/15. I never received a complete email, and I assumed it was due to turning everything in so close to the deadline. I had emailed admissions asking them if they had received everything on 4/23/15, but I never received an email back. Yesterday I received an email saying that my application had not been reviewed due to them not having received everything before the deadline. I emailed them back to see what they did not receive in time. It turns out they did not receive one of my letters of recommendations. I called my letter write and she said she had submitted it on 4/22/15 by email and never received any indication that it was not sent/received. When I called the office today to speak to someone, the lady I spoke to said they never received it and there is nothing they can do to review my application at this point in time. I want to speak to someone else about it to see if there is any way they can review it since it seems like it was some sort of technology glitch. Do current DPMS students have any suggestions on who I can speak to directly?

Thanks for the help!
Hi Igaia,

Unfortunately to be completely honest I wouldn't expect to be reviewed even if there was a technical issue. But definitely try and see what can be done. The highest person you could talk to would be Dr. Loretta Walker. Explain your case in the most polite way possible and hopefully she will email you back. But with the multitude of applicants and the stage they are at in interviewing and such I wouldn't count on it. But of course try, you have nothing to lose.

Reactions: 1 user
I finally decided to reach out to this school and here's what I got back:

"Thank you for your continued interest in the DPMS program. I apologize for the delay and can understand your frustration, all DPMS applicants will be notified of their status by the end of next week."

Not holding my breath anymore. Sad face.

you still haven't received a rejection, so there's still a chance, I saw that there were a few cases of people who got interviews for the last day like a week before, so don't give up hope. I do remember Dr. Walker saying that they are trying to clean up the process i.e. getting notifications out earlier than later and getting financial aid things and structure together, so an effort to make these changes may be the reason for many of you not getting status updates, but they promised to go over all applications in before the deadline, so if you have a compelling app, I think you still got a shot.

Man it seems like everything is moving so quickly now, decisions will be out in 2 weeks is crazy. good luck to all, im excited just hoping and praying to be a part of the program, not much else we can do at this point.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I finally decided to reach out to this school and here's what I got back:

"Thank you for your continued interest in the DPMS program. I apologize for the delay and can understand your frustration, all DPMS applicants will be notified of their status by the end of next week."

Not holding my breath anymore. Sad face.

:( :( ... i have about a milligram of hope left and keep thinking maybe we are on some unofficial wait list... perhaps there is a last priority batch of applicants meant to get invited only after some people bomb their interviews (of course i dont wish that on anyone, but sometimes things happen)....

Hey guys! Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has posted on this forum. Your questions and responses have been very helpful.

Last edited:
:( :( ... i have about a milligram of hope left and keep thinking maybe we are on some unofficial wait list... perhaps there is a last priority batch of applicants meant to get invited only after some people bomb their interviews (of course i dont wish that on anyone, but sometimes things happen)....
At my interview there were people on the waitlist at some schools with pretty good scores (3.5+ 31mcat) so Im sure they would get in. It was a shock for them to be there to me because I thought this program was strickly for certain students. Their parents also made too much money for FA so they are not financially disadvantaged nor URM. It is what it is tho...

Well from what I was just told you will be taking actual classes over the summer. That will count toward your GPA. But yes you should also spend time getting to know your fellow DPMSers. As of last year DPMS students stay in a dorm over the summer for free and then when fall classes hit you will have to have your own place.
This. We would be taking classes for credit this summer.

At my interview there were people on the waitlist at some schools with pretty good scores (3.5+ 31mcat) so Im sure they would get in. It was a shock for them to be there to me because I thought this program was strickly for certain students. Their parents also made too much money for FA so they are not financially disadvantaged nor URM. It is what it is tho...
sorry to break it to you dude, but... people lie. either they don't really have those stats (this program is not worth it for people with those stats) , they lied on their disadvantaged status essay especially if they are not URM, or lastly there's a reason why someone disadavantaged with a 3.5 and a 31+ still hasn't gotten into medschool and that will show during interview. so no worries

Reactions: 2 users
Someone else a while back on the forum made so much sense when they said that they (DPMS admin) "know what they are looking for". At the point of being invited for an interview it boils down to your overall story and how well you were able to portray that to your interviewer. I just hope and pray that whoever is truly "made" for this program gets in (ie. people who have stories to tell about what has put them at a disadvantage to get into medical school the traditional way).

Good luck to all those who interviewed, and keep the faith to those that are still awaiting. It's not over till it's over.

Ok last reply then bed haha. They will provide you all of the books and study supplies for the mcat, you will be taking the Princeton Review for the MCAT prep. So don't waste your money on buying them now. If your close to philly you can have my books they are basically brand new cause I already had a set. If you want them message me. I will say tho, if you get accepted into DPMS and are placed into track one and still want to take the MCAT in the summer. MCAT sure you are well prepared and if you can get the required score before the fall semester start then do it! From the people who i know that have done that in the past they move you into track 2 and you then can go thru the year without worrying for the MCAT. Either way good luck!

I was able to find out how to PM on this thing... I'm pretty new. Hopefully my PM went through.

Thanks.

I got a rejection email this morning. I honestly thought i had shot at this program because I have the best story as a disadvantaged student. But I guess the numbers is what matters most. Oh well, it's up the hill for some of us. Someone else will believe in me.

Good luck to everyone still in the run.

On the day I interviewed ( May 1st ), Dr. Walker said something about the admissions committee nearly doubling the number of those invited to interview than what it had been in previous years. Does anyone know or has anyone in the later interview days heard if this will translate to more seats for the program? Seems a bit unfair to double the numbers and keep the same number of seats. There has to be a correlation.

On the day I interviewed ( May 1st ), Dr. Walker said something about the admissions committee nearly doubling the number of those invited to interview than what it had been in previous years. Does anyone know or has anyone in the later interview days heard if this will translate to more seats for the program? Seems a bit unfair to double the numbers and keep the same number of seats. There has to be a correlation.
on my interview day they said they would interview 75-100 which is pretty consistent to past years. I doubt that they are interviewing 150-200 people this year under what is seeming to be a shorter timeline, but you interviewed after me and im sure you're confident on what you heard so I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but if that is the case, I would hope that they increase class size. are you sure she didn't say they received twice as many application this year? that seems more plausible

on my interview day they said they would interview 75-100 which is pretty consistent to past years. I doubt that they are interviewing 150-200 people this year under what is seeming to be a shorter timeline, but you interviewed after me and im sure you're confident on what you heard so I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but if that is the case, I would hope that they increase class size. are you sure she didn't say they received twice as many application this year? that seems more plausible
When I interviewed this past week, Dr. Walker said they sent out 140 interview invites and received 647 applications. No word on increasing the class size, but said it's all up to the med school to decide on that.

sorry to break it to you dude, but... people lie. either they don't really have those stats (this program is not worth it for people with those stats) , they lied on their disadvantaged status essay especially if they are not URM, or lastly there's a reason why someone disadavantaged with a 3.5 and a 31+ still hasn't gotten into medschool and that will show during interview. so no worries
Oh you dont have to break that news to me...I'm a vet in the game. I know people lie without a doubt. I didn't care tho, my interview went great :D

There is always the possibility I heard wrong, but Dr. Walker stressed that the applicant pool for this year was especially strong and decisions on who to interview came from adcom and to her knowledge, significantly more than 100 invites were sent out ( she gave the ballpark of 200). Like I said I could be wrong, but I do know a lot of the programs I applied to have stressed they have a lot more applicants than in past years.

When I interviewed this past week, Dr. Walker said they sent out 140 interview invites and received 647 applications. No word on increasing the class size, but said it's all up to the med school to decide on that.
You beat me to it! They sent 140 II's this year. The students (former dpmsers) said that they will make exceptions and invite more if they felt the need. Last year they accepted 42 students because they felt that strongly about them so we'll see what happens.

I got a rejection email this morning. I honestly thought i had shot at this program because I have the best story as a disadvantaged student. But I guess the numbers is what matters most. Oh well, it's up the hill for some of us. Someone else will believe in me.

Sorry to hear that. I wouldnt say it was mostly numbers tho because my mcat was well in the lower 20's and gpa's WELL below 3.0. It surely came up in the interview tho :/

There is always the possibility I heard wrong, but Dr. Walker stressed that the applicant pool for this year was especially strong and decisions on who to interview came from adcom and to her knowledge, significantly more than 100 invites were sent out ( she gave the ballpark of 200). Like I said I could be wrong, but I do know a lot of the programs I applied to have stressed they have a lot more applicants than in past years.
wow that's crazy. I guess there will be a lot more competition this year. I don't know how they will decide then because stats are all over the place for interviewees and the committee is gonna go through everyone again.. I guess there is nothing we can do at this point, just hope and pray that we are part of the chosen few, but I would hope to see an increase in the class size. 15 more days guys..praying for good fortune for us all.

Reactions: 5 users
Dr. Walker also said that they will be meeting to make final decisions on May 26th, not 28th. It could be that they moved it, or it could be that she misspoke. But, she did say 26th a few times. When I spoke to past students, they said that Drexel will say anything and they'll likely be late on letting us know, especially considering the number of interviewees.

Sorry to hear that. I wouldnt say it was mostly numbers tho because my mcat was well in the lower 20's and gpa's WELL below 3.0. It surely came up in the interview tho :/

Oh okay, then I dont know. Like I really do not know.
I hope you get in though.

Do they tell you the reason for the rejection?

I think they're gonna review everyone holistically, acknowledge story and extra curricular activities, identify potential for success, breeze thru stats, and add quality points for interview and there you have it...in, out, or waitlisted. I'm sure there will be people that get high marks in every category who will be accepted right away, those who fall short across the board who will be rejected, and then the large group of people in the middle who will be battling for the remaining spots...but this is all just a guess.

You beat me to it! They sent 140 II's this year. The students (former dpmsers) said that they will make exceptions and invite more if they felt the need. Last year they accepted 42 students because they felt that strongly about them so we'll see what happens.
Whoa! That's a lot... Chances are much smaller :nailbiting:

Whoa! That's a lot... Chances are much smaller :nailbiting:
you can say that again..they took 42 last year so hopefully they'll increase to 50-55 this year which will leave the percentages about the same. Im not gonna lie im 10times more nervous after finding this out though...gotta have faith though, we've come this far and got chosen for an Interview over 500 qualified ppl, cant doubt ourselves now. good luck again everyone

Reactions: 5 users

I'm sorry about your rejection, however I'm sure it had nothing to do with you personally. Statistically I am not sure why you were rejected, however I would encourage you to reach out to the admission committee to see where you can improve your package. Don't give up! We will all make it into medical school one day.

Dr. Walker also said that they will be meeting to make final decisions on May 26th, not 28th. It could be that they moved it, or it could be that she misspoke. But, she did say 26th a few times. When I spoke to past students, they said that Drexel will say anything and they'll likely be late on letting us know, especially considering the number of interviewees.
I thought I heard wrong, but now that you mention it...am pretty sure Dr. DePace (Dean Of Admissions) also told me they were meeting on the 26th to make decisions

I woulD like to add that your DPMS class will be the first to have actual real classes over the summer(we basically chilled and looked over the stuff for August )

Holy guacomole :scared::scared::scared::scared: Thats soooooo nerve racking that they sent out so many interview invites. Just got 100x more nervous my interview! Good luck to everyone who have interviewed and is going to interview!

This. She did say the week of the 26th.

Hey do you guys know if the dpms program will award a masters after completion? Dr. Walker said "we are feverishly working to get the masters granted at the moment..." but when I spoke with the students they were 1000% sure that it was a masters. At least that's what they were told. I was thinking to myself..."self, why didn't she just tell us that too if that is the case?" Has anyone heard anything about this? A masters would be pretty sweet. Basically like a contingent dual MD/MS :D

Last edited:
Hey do you guys know if the dpms program will award a masters after completion? Dr. Walker said "we are feverishly working to get the masters granted at the moment..." but when I spoke with the students they were 1000% sure that it was a masters. At least that's what they were told. I was thinking to myself..."self, why didn't she just tell us that too if that is the case?" Has anyone heard anything about this? A masters would be pretty sweet. Basically like a contingent dual MD/MS :D
As far as I know, it hasn't been confirmed. She also mentioned on my interview day that they were working on it. I believe that is the reason why this years class is supposed to be having graded coursework starting in the summer i.e. a masters degree requires a certain amount of credits be completed before a degree can be conferred. Im sure the course in the summer will be for credit, but I doubt it would be a major science course, probably just a for credit prep course used to increase the amount of credits in the program. That all being said, it has not been confirmed, we will most likely find out when decisions are made, but man are they making it tougher 3.2, 45th percentile mcat, summer courses for credit...but I guess these are signs of the times, as competition increases, so must the standards.

good luck to you for the week of the 26th!

During my interview day Dr. Walker informed us that it is indeed going to be a Master's. We were told the requirement for DPMS students to matriculate into Drexel medical school, as far as GPA, is higher than the requirements for DPMS students to get the masters. So, basically, through the DPMS program you can do really well and walk away with a MS/MD, do okay and just get an MS, or get neither. I agree it is really really awesome that they are turning it into a Masters program -a 1 years Master's program at that!

You killed me with your self-addressed... "Self..." :rofl:

I was on the same boat waiting to hear from the program. The DPMS office called and left a msg to discuss my application. Did anyone else get a phone call to discuss the details of their application? I thought everything was gonna be done via email or the portal. Just curious.

I was on the same boat waiting to hear from the program. The DPMS office called and left a msg to discuss my application. Did anyone else get a phone call to discuss the details of their application? I thought everything was gonna be done via email or the portal. Just curious.
nope everything via email..but hey if they were gonna reject you why waste the time to call and leave a message. I would call back ASAP!

Let me preface this by saying this is mainly conjecture. From my copious reading of previous threads this sounds ominously like one of those "reject from DPMS but accepted to IMS/MMS" phone calls. Hopefully I'm wrong though and they're just gonna tell you that you got a II. But still, IMS/MMS are decent options in and of themselves. I hope it all works out @otty

Call with message either mean rejected but accepted to IMS/MMS or (it was my case) we sent you an interview invite a while ago and you haven't responded either a yes or no soooo call us maybe. Mostly likely the first but could be the later I'd call back worst case is a no

does anyone remember what classes we'd be taking for credit in the summer (if accepted :)? I so remember the past DPMs students saying the lectures were pre-recorded and they pretty much went over it at their leisure.

Also how many credits are really doable in a 6-week summer session considering the added pressure of studying for mcat?

Definitely way more pressure for this upcoming class :(