Drexel DPMS 2015-1016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Attended the webinar today, very informative. Going to send my application off tomorrow, hopefully I'm still applying early enough to have a good chance. Good luck to everyone else applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Trust me you are plenty early. You will not here from them about live interviews til around April at earliest and at the lastest middle of May so if application is completed relax, graduate and let God take care of the rest til interview than prepare for that do well in that and then again let God take care of the rest

or work if you are already out of school( most are already out of the school btws I wasn't though. at 22 turned 23 in beginning of the school year I am among the young ones in the program in my DPMS year)

Members don't see this ad :)
or work if you are already out of school( most are already out of the school btws I wasn't though. at 22 turned 23 in beginning of the school year I am among the young ones in the program in my DPMS year)

Thanks for those words of encouragement! And for all your useful information about the program.

I applied! So I guess the waiting game begins :xf:

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! Their next event is on Feb. 25, a day after my MCAT score is released. So good timing, haha.

Ha! That is perfect! But it's worth attending, they go over EVERYTHING! I watched it on my laptop at work. Which idk why they would make it in the middle of the day, some people do have to work. But my boss is flexible since I do work at a hospital.

yes thats the right one....the program starts in the summer

Reactions: 1 user
yes thats the right one....the program starts in the summer
The program starts in summer and they don't start interviewing till April? Whoo that would be cutting it close if you have to make a big move

The program starts in summer and they don't start interviewing till April? Whoo that would be cutting it close if you have to make a big move

yea i believe its usually the 2nd or 3rd week of June, and they have dorms for the summer so the students don't need to worry about finding housing right away. Ive read about ppl getting accepted 3 days before start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this program have cut offs, whether minimum or maximum, for GPA and MCAT?

Maximum cutoff no but most of the high stats are lopsided like 3.6 and 21 or a 3.09 and 32(me). Minimum they suggest nothing below a six in a subject but really they look at things very holistically and go through each application at each stage(review all applications then bulk of interviews then review all interviews applications and then select) so have good stories and sell yourself.
Last year found out about dpms on sixth of June started on the 22nd of June in the dorms.(dorms don't come with meal plans though)

The application says Summer semester 14-15. is it the right one?
Sorry so late! I thought I'd get notifications via email when there were posts on this thread. Yes, that is the right application. I submitted and completed my application , I got the confirmation email and will now be waiting until April-May. I'll be moving too, but it'd be worth it for this program. Good luck to you all!

Sorry so late! I thought I'd get notifications via email when there were posts on this thread. Yes, that is the right application. I submitted and completed my application , I got the confirmation email and will now be waiting until April-May. I'll be moving too, but it'd be worth it for this program. Good luck to you all!

Did you attend the webinar? Was it helpful for the application? Mine is almost complete but I am debating whether I should just send it now or wait until after the next webinar in 2 weeks.

\
I only see Drexel MSP in the drop-down menu. Should I send to that? I'm assuming the score can also be mailed, right?
I just checked and "Drexel Medical Science Program" is correct. I don't believe you can mail in a score report, but you can ask to be sure.

Do they send the link for the webinar on the day of the session? I received the email saying I signed up, but no link for how to get on to the session when it comes.

Do they send the link for the webinar on the day of the session? I received the email saying I signed up, but no link for how to get on to the session when it comes.

Hey Noir92! They sent me the link in an email the day before the information section with step-by-step instructions on how to log-in! Hope this helps! :)

Hi! I am a current DPMS Track 1 student. I did well on my MCAT and did great first semester. I look forward to matriculating this Fall (just gotta make it through not failing a class this semester).

Feel free to contact me if you have Qs.

Last edited:
P.S. If you plan on applying and matriculating upon acceptance, I HIGHLY recommend you start saving money! You will need money for apt deposit, furniture, moving costs, etc! Financial aid does not kick in until at least late August to beginning of Sept. Do not screw yourself over!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the info! So what are some positives/negatives of the programs? If you had to do it all over again, would you still do the program? Thanks for all the help, and best of luck becoming a doctor

Last edited:
3. This is a VERY expensive program. And, the loans for the program is NOT federal anymore!

How did you pay for the program? :eek:

Btw, it seems kinda risky IMO to do an SMP with a 3.7 gpa and just a mediocre MCAT. I'm genuinely curious, why didn't you just take a Kaplan or TPR course and retake the MCAT? Why Drexel DPMS?

Hi,
I took out private Drexel loans just like all of my peers. It was the only loan available to pay for the program this year. I decided to do the program because I had applied to medical school and was waitlisted.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info! So what are some positives/negatives of the programs? If you had to do it all over again, would you still do the program? Thanks for all the help, and best of luck becoming a doctor
I think that every program has its pro/cons. You just have to do your research and weigh them out.

Last edited:
Hi,
I took out private Drexel loans just like all of my peers. It is the Only loan available to pay for the program. I decided to do the program because I had applied to medical school and got waitlisted. I did take a Princeton course for my MCAT prior to DPMS. I feel that my PS went up this January bc of medical physiology. You would be amazed how much you learn about physics through that course!

Ah okay so what's you're saying is instead of reapplying you knew you wanted to go to DUCOM through this program but you just had to improve your PS score. Correct?

Last edited:
Hi,
I took out private Drexel loans just like all of my peers. It is the Only loan available to pay for the program. I decided to do the program because I had applied to medical school and got waitlisted. I did take a Princeton course for my MCAT prior to DPMS. I feel that my PS went up this January bc of medical physiology. You would be amazed how much you learn about physics through that course!

During the webinar they said due to conversion of program from certification to master's program students will be able to take federal loans. Were you in the class just before this transition?

In the process of applying to this program! Kind of nervous because I am unsure if I can get two STRONG letters of recommendation from two science professors :(. I am in the process of sending an email to ask them if they can write me a strong one!

My stats fit the minimum mold (3.1 cGPA). Stronger parts of my app is my clinical experience (>1200 hours at Mount Sinai As a Patient Care Tech), Research Experience (>300 hours), Division 1 Track and Field Athlete at Syracuse University 4 years, Bereavement camp Counselor for two years, Volunteer member of Food Bank organization for >3.5 years, VP of treasury of Pre-Medical Fraternity at Syracuse University.

I wish the best of luck to everyone applying! We will all be Doctors eventually!

"Progress.. Not perfection"

Last edited:
Our class may be the last class doing the DPMS Certificate program. I believe the class entering this summer 2015 will be the first one doing the DPMS Master's program. This is done for the sake of federal loans. Idk the whole story though as it does not affect our current class.

Last edited:
I would like to know if there were any students in their early 30s attending the program?

Mostly mid to late twenties. One almost forty year old, and who is probably in her thirties (won't disclose age but mannerism seem like it)

Mostly mid to late twenties. One almost forty year old, and who is probably in her thirties (won't disclose age but mannerism seem like it)
Thank you for replying so quickly. I am a bit intimidated because of the my age. I am no where near my 40s but I am in my 30s. Can you share your experience applying to the program? I'm new to the site and I am in no rush for a response. Thank you in advance for your help

Applying... I applied the semester before I graduated after my fool's dream of getting into medical school with a 3.01 but a 32 mcat without a post-bacc was crushed. I spent the winter break looking up the program and others and decided this was the best for me in terms of risk benefit. Got letters filled and application done by early March.and waited ...... And waited..... And graduated in May and was about to be like oh man silent rejection when one of the ladies called me and asked if I was going to accept the interview invite. So flew to Philadelphia a week later, interviewed on the last day and two weeks later was accepted. As for being older I don't have experience since I'm only just 23 but my mum went back to school after the youngest was born and from that you. Need yo have a solid support team at home when you think you can't anymore to give you the push. I hope this helps

I am filling out my AMCAS applications concurrently. I am trying to figure out how/if I can use the same LORs for DPMS as my AMCAS? Anyone else having this issue ? Or can anyone shed light on this? Thanks in advance!

To those who submitted their application, has the webinar been helpful in the process? I wonder if I should wait for it before submitting.

To those who submitted their application, has the webinar been helpful in the process? I wonder if I should wait for it before submitting.

The webinar was EXTREMELY helpful. A lot of questions were answered. However, I submitted my application before I attended the webinar.

P.S. If you plan on applying and matriculating upon acceptance, I HIGHLY recommend you start saving money! You will need money for apt deposit, furniture, moving costs, etc! Financial aid does not kick in until at least late August to beginning of Sept. Do not screw yourself over!

Do you mind shedding light on the Financial aid/financing process? I emailed the program and they said to ask financial aid, but financial aid only lets me email them if I'm already a student.

Since financial aid kicks in in the fall, how much money did you need saved up to even start the program? Did you need to pay the summer portion out of pocket and then the Fall and Spring were covered?

Thank you! :)

You need to be able to pay for food, any activities that you want, be able to pay for a deposit any furniture that you need , technically an iPad but put that purchase off til financial aid kicks in, monthly expenses for the month of August to be safe. Also remember that when looking at places to live that living alone may be a luxury you can't afford, or that the nice looking apartment is out of your price range, or that your current status of living may drop since the budget is given for a low standard of living. Post-bacc programs are the bottom of the barrow when it comes to financial aid keep that in mind for now and the future.

You need to be able to pay for food, any activities that you want, be able to pay for a deposit any furniture that you need , technically an iPad but put that purchase off til financial aid kicks in, monthly expenses for the month of August to be safe. Also remember that when looking at places to live that living alone may be a luxury you can't afford, or that the nice looking apartment is out of your price range, or that your current status of living may drop since the budget is given for a low standard of living. Post-bacc programs are the bottom of the barrow when it comes to financial aid keep that in mind for now and the future.
Oh okay. So we wouldn't have to pay for any tuition in June? Just our living expenses? That's a relief! I was worrying if I had to pay their summer session price or something.

Thanks a bunch!