Drexel DPMS 2015-1016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
as days go by, this is looking more like my last option for this application cycle....terrifying! Can this week be over already?lol btw, @cornernat ..i also felt like I bombed that writing assignment...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So because I'm freaking out and didn't want to go to sleep yet I decided to do a little research. I looked back at the threads from the four previous cycles to see how many business days passed after the last interview date before decisions rolled out. Here is what I found:

2014 (last cycle): 6 days
2013:---------------5 days (this is a rough estimate because it was unclear when the last interview day was. I just used the last date anyone mentioned for an interview)
2012:---------------7 days
2011:---------------2 days

Average:-----------5 days

Just a note again this is only counting business days.

It seems like Drexel is really trying to get out decisions earlier this year. Along with this meager data it seems like it is more than fair to presume that we will find out next week (more than likely). Wednesday being the first logical date. Let's just hope it's Wednesday. We're so close!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Ok so after reading everyone theories I figured I would chime in. Having gone thru the process you guys are currently in and having been a part of the Med school interview process as a student, I'll start off by saying they don't really ever tell you their method. What I know is that there is around 5-6 members of the decision community and yes they do meet Thursdays. Prior to all interviews being completed those thurs meetings are simply to decide who will be receiving an II. Now that all the interviews are over they will meet to make acceptance decisions this coming Thurs. This is probably the most accurate method that they use:
I think they literally go through everyone as a group and assign scores for each component of our app i.e. grades, mcat, extracurriculars, community service, personal statement, and interview, we get an overall score and the top 40 will get in.

Every interviewer has a sheet where they assign a score and give their opinion on each interviewee. They also give a score based overall on if they think you should be accepted or not. (For regular med school interviews Med students also fill out a sheet and give a score and say if we would want them as a fellow student, you guys don't have to worry about that aspect of it, since for DPMS interviews prior students get no say.) I assume they will look over the top rated students and not automatically just accept the top 40-ish, but discuss them as a group in this meeting and then say yes or no and move down the list. As far as the essay portion from what i've heard its not weighed very high at all. It's more so to get your opinion on some topic and at the same time they can see how you are at formulating thoughts on the spot and putting them in writing. (Believe it or not but some people pay other ppl to write their personal statements and all written parts of their applications, so this helps prevent that unfair advantage.) Honestly tho I feel its like the MCAT writing section its there but if everything else is good they have no reason to eliminate you cause of what you wrote.

There is also a waitlist for those who were right on the boarder for being accepted. So thats another possibility and they will let you know and ask you if you wish to be placed on it. Students do come off the DPMS wait list because sometimes applicants get accepted off Med school wait list really late or into other programs ect. The turn around for that is even more last minute and I believe students usually only end up with a week or so notice before having to drop everything and get to philly. That being said if you come off the wait list your probably just ecstatic that you even got accepted.

As far as when you will find out. I promise you it won't be the 28th since they could be there making decisions until 5-6pm and then just want to go home. So no ones going to stick around to put together emails. It could at the earliest be the 29th, having spoken with Dr. Walker in person she mentioned they are trying hard to get them out ASAP, but again more then likely it will be June 1st. So I would suggest you expect to hear back on June 1st and just be super happy if your lucky enough to hear before then. Remember they aren't just sending out acceptance letters they also have to decide on who's going to be on the wait list and put together and send out rejection letters as well, so it adds up to a good amount of work. Either way you guys all did your best I'm sure and there's nothing left for you guys to do but to wait and see. Good luck to everyone and I hope to be meeting you all of you guys over the summer. Also for those that don't get in just remember this is not the end and there are many ways of getting into med school and receiving a letter of rejection now in no way means you are not fit to be a physician or that you will never be one. Just keep your head up and work hard and work on the areas of your application that may need work and you will get there sooner or later!

ps: one last thing if you are accepted and have to move on short notice remember the summer housing is provided, so you have that going. For they summer they basically just expect you to bring the bare essentials that you need to get by and your brain. Everything else gets left at home and then you big time move will be towards the end of the summer once you find a place, so you have more time to do that then.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so after reading everyone theories I figured I would chime in. Having gone thru the process you guys are currently in and having been a part of the Med school interview process as a student, I'll start off by saying they don't really ever tell you their method. What I know is that there is around 5-6 members of the decision community and yes they do meet Thursdays. Prior to all interviews being completed those thurs meetings are simply to decide who will be receiving an II. Now that all the interviews are over they will meet to make acceptance decisions this coming Thurs. This is probably the most accurate method that they use:

Every interviewer has a sheet where they assign a score and give their opinion on each interviewee. They also give a score based overall on if they think you should be accepted or not. (For regular med school interviews Med students also fill out a sheet and give a score and say if we would want them as a fellow student, you guys don't have to worry about that aspect of it, since for DPMS interviews prior students get no say.) I assume they will look over the top rated students and not automatically just accept the top 40-ish, but discuss them as a group in this meeting and then say yes or no and move down the list. As far as the essay portion from what i've heard its not weighed very high at all. It's more so to get your opinion on some topic and at the same time they can see how you are at formulating thoughts on the spot and putting them in writing. (Believe it or not but some people pay other ppl to write their personal statements and all written parts of their applications, so this helps prevent that unfair advantage.) Honestly tho I feel its like the MCAT writing section its there but if everything else is good they have no reason to eliminate you cause of what you wrote.

There is also a waitlist for those who were right on the boarder for being accepted. So thats another possibility and they will let you know and ask you if you wish to be placed on it. Students do come off the DPMS wait list because sometimes applicants get accepted off Med school wait list really late or into other programs ect. The turn around for that is even more last minute and I believe students usually only end up with a week or so notice before having to drop everything and get to philly. That being said if you come off the wait list your probably just ecstatic that you even got accepted.

As far as when you will find out. I promise you it won't be the 28th since they could be there making decisions until 5-6pm and then just want to go home. So no ones going to stick around to put together emails. It could at the earliest be the 29th, having spoken with Dr. Walker in person she mentioned they are trying hard to get them out ASAP, but again more then likely it will be June 1st. So I would suggest you expect to hear back on June 1st and just be super happy if your lucky enough to hear before then. Remember they aren't just sending out acceptance letters they also have to decide on who's going to be on the wait list and put together and send out rejection letters as well, so it adds up to a good amount of work. Either way you guys all did your best I'm sure and there's nothing left for you guys to do but to wait and see. Good luck to everyone and I hope to be meeting you all of you guys over the summer. Also for those that don't get in just remember this is not the end and there are many ways of getting into med school and receiving a letter of rejection now in no way means you are not fit to be a physician or that you will never be one. Just keep your head up and work hard and work on the areas of your application that may need work and you will get there sooner or later!

ps: one last thing if you are accepted and have to move on short notice remember the summer housing is provided, so you have that going. For they summer they basically just expect you to bring the bare essentials that you need to get by and your brain. Everything else gets left at home and then you big time move will be towards the end of the summer once you find a place, so you have more time to do that then.
Thanks for the info! A few questions if I may... Do we have to qualify for grad plus loans? If so, is it hard? (high credit score,ect.) Do any students stuggle to make ends meet while in the program? Do you know which classes will be taken in summer? Thanks again.

I remember from my interview day some of the former DPMSers said that housing wouldn't be provided this summer for this years applicants. Did anyone else hear that?

I remember from my interview day some of the former DPMSers said that housing wouldn't be provided this summer for this years applicants. Did anyone else hear that?

No I didn't hear that. I was told we were provided housing in freshmen dorms and expected to find our own housing during the regular school year because they don't provide housing for us then.

I heard the same as @FutureMD1107. It would be pretty much impossible for 40+ students to secure housing in Philadelphia in 2 weeks, during the peak of summer, and with no financial aid. I think its safe to say they are probably going to provide a housing arrangement for the summer, but where that arrangement will be idk. Hey I might just buy a sleeping bag and find a spot in the campus library if they decide to take me lol

Reactions: 2 users
No I didn't hear that. I was told we were provided housing in freshmen dorms and expected to find our own housing during the regular school year because they don't provide housing for us then.
I heard the same as @FutureMD1107. It would be pretty much impossible for 40+ students to secure housing in Philadelphia in 2 weeks, during the peak of summer, and with no financial aid. I think its safe to say they are probably going to provide a housing arrangement for the summer, but where that arrangement will be idk. Hey I might just buy a sleeping bag and find a spot in the campus library if they decide to take me lol
oh no I just meant that they would give us student housing, but that we would have to pay for it. Nobody else heard that?

Reactions: 1 users
oh no I just meant that they would give us student housing, but that we would have to pay for it. Nobody else heard that?
oh I get what you mean, but no I haven't heard that. I think the absence of financial aid is still the biggest factor here. they will not be able to get students financial aid for the summer so the expectation that students would pay for housing for the summer for a program like this I think is very unlikely. I guess we'll know for sure next week, good luck to you and the rest of us :)

oh I get what you mean, but no I haven't heard that. I think the absence of financial aid is still the biggest factor here. they will not be able to get students financial aid for the summer so the expectation that students would pay for housing for the summer for a program like this I think is very unlikely. I guess we'll know for sure next week, good luck to you and the rest of us :)
What Dr. Walker told us is that they might charge (a small amount) for student housing over the summer, but it will be on our Fall financial aid package. So, housing would still be no cost to us in the immediate future. It would still need to be paid, though.

What Dr. Walker told us is that they might charge (a small amount) for student housing over the summer, but it will be on our Fall financial aid package. So, housing would still be no cost to us in the immediate future. It would still need to be paid, though.
Thank you! that made me feel better. Good luck to everyone!!!

They still haven't send me anything. Till yesterday the banner would say that my app is under review and today it says the program has already started lol I know that I have got rejected but it is not cool that they haven't responded to me at all. I have btw called many times

They still haven't send me anything. Till yesterday the banner would say that my app is under review and today it says the program has already started lol I know that I have got rejected but it is not cool that they haven't responded to me at all. I have btw called many times

Did you check your junk mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope everyone had a great holiday, much appreciation and respect for those of you who have served or have family who have served our country. This is supposed to be the week, pretty nerve racking, but exciting. I pray for good news. Good Luck to everybody! congrats on making it this far!

Reactions: 7 users
Hope everyone had a great holiday, much appreciation and respect for those of you who have served or have family who have served our country. This is supposed to be the week, pretty nerve racking, but exciting. I pray for good news. Good Luck to everybody! congrats on making it this far!

Well said @Maytheoddsbeinyourfavor and great introduction to this week. I couldn't agree with you more - everyone should acknowledge that they made it as far as they did. We will all achieve our goal of becoming a doctor one day as long as we are persistent. The entire medical school process is very competitive and unfortunately there are not enough spots for all qualified applicants. So for those of us that don't get the result we want this time, don't give up!! I wish everyone the best and really hope we get final decisions this week!!

Reactions: 7 users
anybody for sure hear Dr. Walker say decisions will be made today the 26th? saw a few people say that earlier... Im wondering if there is any shot that tomorrow will be the day. Based upon last year, It seems like the banner page will change to " a decision has made ..." the day before the email us, so I guess I could just check that this evening.lol just so eager to know lol

anybody for sure hear Dr. Walker say decisions will be made today the 26th? saw a few people say that earlier... Im wondering if there is any shot that tomorrow will be the day. Based upon last year, It seems like the banner page will change to " a decision has made ..." the day before the email us, so I guess I could just check that this evening.lol just so eager to know lol
At my interview I recall her saying that they would meet today (the 26th) and try to get the decisions out as soon as they can. I think they usually meet on Thursdays which would be the 28th this week, but in an effort to get decisions made asap they are meeting today instead.

At my interview I recall her saying that they would meet today (the 26th) and try to get the decisions out as soon as they can. I think they usually meet on Thursdays which would be the 28th this week, but in an effort to get decisions made asap they are meeting today instead.
I think the committee meets today to start making decisions.

It would be fantastic to know before Friday, but only for my own selfish reasons haha! Finding out at work either way (accepted or rejected) would be terrible for my focus haha! I hope we all find clarity and calmness after this week lol.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah...there is a good chance the committee meets today...my mind is going crazy!!

Reactions: 4 users
Mine too, but I am just praying the right decisions are made in terms of the admission. Knowing before Friday would definitely be awesome.

Reactions: 5 users
just wanted to let everyone know that I just got off the phone with Dr. Walker : committee is DEFINITELY meeting to make decisions TODAY!!!!!!!! my heart stopped for a split second on the phone...we will more than likely know before Friday.

I got tired of speculating so I decided to call .lol

Reactions: 13 users
just wanted to let everyone know that I just got off the phone with Dr. Walker : committee is DEFINITELY meeting to make decisions TODAY!!!!!!!! my heart stopped for a split second on the phone...we will more than likely know before Friday.

Ugh on behalf of all of us, bless your heart

Reactions: 10 users

Thank you for calling! haha but I will now be checking my email 1000 more times than I already was, which equates to a rate of 2 times per second lol. Good luck to all of us!

Ugh on behalf of all of us, bless your heart
lol no prob... im glad my lack of patience did some good. I just couldn't take the speculation any more myself, I just had to know. It actually took me calling three different numbers to finally get her on the phone lol. Im just glad that now we know for sure. Good Luck everyone, we're almost there ....

I love how my post make it seem like I am not about ready to die of anxiety and nervousness .lol

Reactions: 8 users
Good luck everyone!! Best wishes!

Side note:
I am selling my furniture as I am moving. My new condo is furnished so I am selling EVERYTHING (dining table, coffee table + side table, kitchenware, etc)!! I know this is kinda early, but just thought I throw in the thought since decisions will be out this week. Please email for pictures!

I need to stop checking my email every five seconds. I wonder if theyll mail us the response like previous years or email it

Im hoping that today will be the day, but my gut is telling me that it is more likely to be tomorrow. I wonder how long it usually takes from date of the meeting to the point at which people will start receiving decisions?...well, the suspense continues lol . If anyone gets a banner update or an email, please let us know. Have a good day everybody

Im hoping that today will be the day, but my gut is telling me that it is more likely to be tomorrow. I wonder how long it usually takes from date of the meeting to the point at which people will start receiving decisions?...well, the suspense continues lol . If anyone gets a banner update or an email, please let us know. Have a good day everybody

The anticipation is eating away slowly, but hey we have made it this far!
I'm also hoping decisions are today, but I am feeling just like you...maybe it will be tomorrow. Patience is a virtue, and I am trying but to think that your life might be completely changed in less than a month is nerve-wrecking and exciting to say the least!

Thank you so much for calling and putting everyone at ease because the speculation made it even worse, hahahaha.

Well everyone enjoy your day and good luck to everyone. It seems like each one of us on this forum has a passion for medicine. We WILL make it somehow!

The anticipation is eating away slowly, but hey we have made it this far!
I'm also hoping decisions are today, but I am feeling just like you...maybe it will be tomorrow. Patience is a virtue, and I am trying but to think that your life might be completely changed in less than a month is nerve-wrecking and exciting to say the least!

Thank you so much for calling and putting everyone at ease because the speculation made it even worse, hahahaha.

Well everyone enjoy your day and good luck to everyone. It seems like each one of us on this forum has a passion for medicine. We WILL make it somehow!
thanks! and I completely agree. I often think to myself "man my whole life can change this week". I guess we'll soon find out. I wonder where are the rest of the 140 people that they interviewed, im wondering how they manage to make it without this mini support group we got going here on SDN. I say they just accept everyone on the forum.lol... wishful thinking.

thanks! and I completely agree. I often think to myself "man my whole life can change this week". I guess we'll soon find out. I wonder where are the rest of the 140 people that they interviewed, im wondering how they manage to make it without this mini support group we got going here on SDN. I say they just accept everyone on the forum.lol... wishful thinking.
Alot of us are here just reading lol. I come on here multiple times a day. Sometimes you guys posts make me extra nervous and sometimes they give me hope lol. I probably check here more than I check my email. Lol. Thanks for all the updates.

didn't notice that @Maytheoddsbeinyourfavor called yesterday, but I called Kelli Kennedy the admissions director for the medical school this morning who confirmed that they did meet yesterday, but that decisions are still going to be going out beginning the end of this week and will culminate on Monday of next week. I think its safe to assume that we wont start hearing till Friday and some of us on Monday.

Alot of us are here just reading lol. I come on here multiple times a day. Sometimes you guys posts make me extra nervous and sometimes they give me hope lol. I probably check here more than I check my email. Lol. Thanks for all the updates.
This is so true. This specific thread is akin to a lighthouse for DPMS applicants. It's almost impossible not to be involved in some ways, even as a spectator.

Last edited:
wow! I wonder why the delay I would think they would be wanting to tell us as soon as possible, but It is almost noon on Wednesday, I've been waiting my whole life to be a physician, a day and a half wont kill me. Good luck @TheWrightMD , thanks for popping in to say whats up, hope to see you in Philly in a month, God willing :)

didn't notice that @Maytheoddsbeinyourfavor called yesterday, but I called Kelli Kennedy the admissions director for the medical school this morning who confirmed that they did meet yesterday, but that decisions are still going to be going out beginning the end of this week and will culminate on Monday of next week. I think its safe to assume that we wont start hearing till Friday and some of us on Monday.
Did ms. Kennedy say why some would hear Friday and some Monday ??

Did ms. Kennedy say why some would hear Friday and some Monday ??
no she didn't but I also didn't ask, I would assume that she means all the decisions. Maybe a bulk of the acceptances will go out Friday and then just a few acceptance and waitlist Monday, followed by the remaining rejections, but I don't know for sure

also she said by the end of this week not Friday specifically, im just interpreting that as Friday, but I guess that could also be Thursday

Every time I come on this thread (which is probably 5 million times a day) and see that little red notification box, I get so much anxiety haha. I always think its someone posting that they've been accepted......Still over here attempting to wait patiently, but really I'm going crazy lol.

ACCEPTED!!! jk jk Just messing with FutureMD1107. I know its not funny but I couldnt help myself Im going crazy :(

Ive had dreams of being both accepted and rejected. Am I the only one? This is life changing...

ACCEPTED!!! jk jk Just messing with FutureMD1107. I know its not funny but I couldnt help myself Im going crazy :(
yea not cool.... at all..... I just hope no one on here has a heart condition. the word "ACCEPTED" in big letters is not to be toyed with on this forum lol

Ive had dreams of being both accepted and rejected. Am I the only one? This is life changing...
Lol. No dreams for me, but definitely anxiety. Trying to distract myself with work and the Mindy Project but it's not working smh.

Thinking about the fact that i am competing with 139 other people makes me even more nervous!!!I wish we could all be accepted!!why not jst send out decisions today?haha

Thinking about the fact that i am competing with 139 other people makes me even more nervous!!!I wish we could all be accepted!!why not jst send out decisions today?haha
only competing with yourself my friend, I know its cliché, but once we have done everything we can and put up our best efforts, there's absolutely nothing else we can do, but I know exactly how you feel. I honestly don't know why they don't just let us know today either especially since the likelihood is that they already know who all is gonna be accepted.lol..im still trying to figure out how 5-6 people can go over 140 applications in one day. Admissions committee's are like a secret societies, we will never really know what is going on in there.lol my gut is telling me that they have been meeting every Thursday after interview weeks and that the meeting yesterday was just the last of the meetings but who knows. Good Luck!!

I felt the most anxious last week, now I'm beginning to have a very neutral attitude. They probably already know who they're sending acceptances to and it's just a matter of time. I have been checking my email frequently making sure "the email" doesn't go to my junk box. Only time will tell...

I love that this years forum has been extremely expressive by the way. Great resource for future students lol. We are currently on page 21, that's crazy! I hope we all make it, so we can laugh at how stressed out we were in the near future.

Notttt funny lol my heart dropped!!!!!!