Drexel DPMS 2015-1016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
all you need to make it....is the will to make it. One of my favorite lines from a move is "if I can take it, then I can make it". Start with tomorrow by realizing you're still as great as you were the day you found you got an interview for this program. Next sit down and write down attainable goals, make a timeline. you don't have to change who you are on paper to get in, all you have to do is show them why they should take a chance on all that you could be if given the opportunity. Hard work is always noticed... shadow, gain more clinical experience, take some courses (may not even need to do a program), most of all have faith. My sdn account will always be active, hit me up if you ever need some encouragement.
Soooo true! I second this lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I've cried my heart out many times on my quest to medical school, I know rejection all too well, as my journey started in 2012, but just know that perseverance is key on our long journey to medical school and beyond. No body really knows how hard it is to get into, let alone finish, a medical school program. Work on your weaknesses, stay well rounded as a person (take care of yourself) and as an applicant, and don't ever give up on your dreams, because if you keep at it you will achieve them!! Don't be afraid to lean on any one of us for support if you feel that you don't have adequate support because we know the pain associated with this process. In a perfect world you'd all be my classmates and I'd feel lucky to have you by side.

Can you share what you did between 2012 and now to make yourself more competitive? That's 3 years of polishing that finally paid off. Kudos to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I don't want to sound like an advisor because I'm really not qualified to give out advice lol but I just know that there's a bunch of us on here that really just wanna help each other out regardless of if they were accepted, wait listed, or rejected.

Reactions: 1 users
and Alas the rejection letter has come. good luck my friends who have made it (y'all better all make contract or else.lol) and good luck my friends who are going on to pursue other victories. DPMS wasn't meant for me, I don't understand why now, but I know someday I will. I ask y'all to continue to pray for your boy and I will definitely return the favor. I don't use the word friends lightly, but I feel comfortable referring to y'all as such because we share goals, dreams, and struggles. if any of you guys need someone to confide in during this time you most certainly got me. stay motivated and keep the fire burning guys, I def plan too.

Reactions: 9 users
Should I look forward to going through this with you guys next application cycle? You all thinking of re-applying?

and Alas the rejection letter has come. good luck my friends who have made it (y'all better all make contract or else.lol) and good luck my friends who are going on to pursue other victories. DPMS wasn't meant for me, I don't understand why now, but I know someday I will. I ask y'all to continue to pray for your boy and I will definitely return the favor. I don't use the word friends lightly, but I feel comfortable referring to y'all as such because we share goals, dreams, and struggles. if any of you guys need someone to confide in during this time you most certainly got me. stay motivated and keep the fire burning guys, I def plan too.

I'm praying for you. I can't tell you how many times your uplifting posts made me breathe more calmly. If you can do that with a post, imagine what you can do in person. You'll make a great physician one day. What's medicine without hope?

Reactions: 2 users
thsnks everyone! You really are an encouraging bunch. To be honest, if I had not been on this forum I'm not sure how I would've gone through all of this. So thank you, and I look forward to all of us making it someday.

@gesundemedizin that is definitely an option for me, I'm not sure if I will the next cycle though. I want to make sure that I do what is best for me and if I do reapply I want to make sure my application is 10 times better than it was this time

Just received my official rejection (email came at 8:20). Congrats to everyone who got it you all will do great! For those of us on different paths don't give up hope, it just means God has something better planned for you. One of my favorite quotes from church is "sometimes no just means not right now". I have no doubt that you all will be amazing doctors in the future and I wish everyone the best of luck
I was hoping to be accepted with a Soror, I hope you reapply. I certainly will if I'm not accepted off of the waitlist.

you guys I promise that I cannot make this up.. if this is not a testimony I don't know what is. I was on a single medical school waitlist, I got rejected from DPMS yesterday night at around 10:30pm. Today at 10:15 am I got a call and was accepted into Medical School. God is not good, he is great. Have faith you all. I knew god had a different plan for me, and that it wasn't DPMS and today I found out why. If I were to tell you guys my undergraduate gpa you would of told me there is no way I would ever get into medical school. My friends there is always a way. Good luck to you all. Keep the faith

Reactions: 26 users
Amen! That's so dope, congrats!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you guys I promise that I cannot make this up.. if this is not a testimony I don't know what is. I was on a single medical school waitlist, I got rejected from DPMS yesterday night at around 10:30pm. Today at 10:15 am I got a call and was accepted into Medical School. God is not good, he is great. Have faith you all. I knew god had a different plan for me, and that it wasn't DPMS and today I found out why. If I were to tell you guys my undergraduate gpa you would of told me there is no way I would ever get into medical school. My friends there is always a way. Good luck to you all. Keep the faith

You deserve it. Thank you for sharing that and for your motivational words on here. I know that even though I was not as active as some of the other people on this thread, I looked at what you said and it gave me hope. Don't lose this outlook on life.

You deserve it. Thank you for sharing that and for your motivational words on here. I know that even though I was not as active as some of the other people on this thread, I looked at what you said and it gave me hope. Don't lose this outlook on life.
Thank you my friend. If im being honest the people on here, to include yourself, have been so encouraging and been so kind to me that it reminded me how great and selfless people can be and reminded why I want to be a physician in the first place. I was an underdog, just like all of us here. You all have the heart for it, and no amount of education can get you that. As long as you don't lose the heart and the passion for it, you're gonna get there one day. Keep the faith and keep pushing.

So happy for you! Thank you for sharing your testimony!

Thank you my friend. If im being honest the people on here, to include yourself, have been so encouraging and been so kind to me that it reminded me how great and selfless people can be and reminded why I want to be a physician in the first place. I was an underdog, just like all of us here. You all have the heart for it, and no amount of education can get you that. As long as you don't lose the heart and the passion for it, you're gonna get there one day. Keep the faith and keep pushing.
Ahhhh so exciting! God is so good! Congratulations my friend, and best of luck to you, future dr.!

Ahhhh so exciting! God is so good! Congratulations my friend, and best of luck to you, future dr.!
Thank you!!! Im overwhelmed and overjoyed. You're gonna do absolutely awesome in DPMS. I have no doubts whatsoever and youre gonna be a great doc one day. We'll def meet again future Doc :)

Best DPMS thread ever, or no?

Reactions: 4 users
I was hoping to be accepted with a Soror, I hope you reapply. I certainly will if I'm not accepted off of the waitlist.
I wish you the best of luck Soror! If you do get in DM me and we can meet up I'm from Philly so I'll be here at least for the summer :)

@Maytheoddsbeinyourfavor that's a true blessing!! I am so happy for you and wish you the best of luck in med school. Our God is too good :)

Ok future doctors, combined I'm sure we've heard every piece of advice that's out there and I now need your help. I'm trying to decide if I want to pursue my master's at a school I've been accepted to (it's a two year medical science masters), or if I should save my money and try to find a job in the field and get more experience in the field while studying to retake the MCAT. Obviously both have it's ups and downs but any insight would be great. Thanks!

Oh, MAN :soexcited::clap: Congratulations!

Ok future doctors, combined I'm sure we've heard every piece of advice that's out there and I now need your help. I'm trying to decide if I want to pursue my master's at a school I've been accepted to (it's a two year medical science masters), or if I should save my money and try to find a job in the field and get more experience in the field while studying to retake the MCAT. Obviously both have it's ups and downs but any insight would be great. Thanks!

Take a look at your application. What are your weaknesses? If you applied to DPMS, maybe it's GPA or MCAT, hopefully not both. The Medical Science masters is a good route to take. Better than a Public Health masters. Medical Sciences have actual hard-science courses. It should also include medical school courses. If you do well in the program (around 3.7 GPA), you will show to medical schools you can handle the hard-science material. If your GPA is the problem, I think this would be a good idea, since 1) You will be working to raise your cGPA and sGPA and 2) You're taking courses you may see in medical school, and ADCOMs will acknowledge this. If your MCAT is the problem, MAYBE a higher GPA will offset a low MCAT score if you do well in the program. MAYBE. That will be up to ADCOMs to decide. What are you goals after successfully completing the masters and kicking ass? Applying traditionally to MD schools? to DO schools? to both? to linkage programs like DPMS? Take all of that into account. If you find yourself not being competitively traditionally even after the MAMS because the GPA/MCAT is not where it needs to be, then a MAMS will certainly make you more competitive for linkage programs. That's a lot of money BEFORE you have even begun medical school. But money isn't real, your dreams are. Take a look at your application and ask yourself: What will a Masters in Medical Science address? It will address your GPA, assimilation of hard-science courses, commitment, maturity... It does not address your MCAT, longitudinal experiences with research/volunteering/shadowing/ECs, etc.

I hope that helps!

I'm a little stuck now because I'm not sure whether to pursue an SMP with my gpa or to take undergrad classes to increase it. My ug sgpa is ~2.9.... Should I do a masters now or wait?

I'm a little stuck now because I'm not sure whether to pursue an SMP with my gpa or to take undergrad classes to increase it. My ug sgpa is ~2.9.... Should I do a masters now or wait?

Masters program are virtually useless unless it's a linkage program. Only DO schools put significant weight on Masters GPA. Take science classes at a community college and bump your undergraduate GPA up.

This is the fatal error I made, I have to go back and take those science classes at an undergraduate level.

My GPA is the same! I'm wondering now if I want to do a masters program (not linkage but premed with mcat prep) or if I should stay home and retake the classes I got below a B in at another school close by

Masters program are virtually useless unless it's a linkage program. Only DO schools put significant weight on Masters GPA. Take science classes at a community college and bump your undergraduate GPA up.

This is the fatal error I made, I have to go back and take those science classes at an undergraduate level.
i'd have to respectfully disagree. Masters programs are very costly and timely and with no linkage there is no guarantee it will help you get into medical school, so those are the biggest factors i think to consider, but also the type of Masters you complete. I do think completing MHAs, MPHs in a non science specialization, or an MA may not help much, but if your program is catered toward medical school, I think it can be impactful. I completed a masters of medical science at the University of South Florida's College of Medicine, it was a l year masters, in which I took Pharmacology, Physiology, Neurology, Histology, Anatomy, Embryology, Biochemistry, Immunology/Microbio, Genetics, Gross Anatomy (with full cadaver dissections), and Health Science Ethics. All these were in the medical school, taught by the same exact professors. This program pretty much mirrored the first 2 years of medical school, and I had a ton of classmates who after failing to matriculate multiple cycles, got a 3.5 and above in this program and got into medical school this year. Now I will say that a masters is going to cost you and if you don't get a 3.5 + gpa in a masters program like this, it can also be a huge red flag for medschools, but if you do well it can say a lot about your ability to perform at that level. That all being said, you may very well be able to gain the same results from just taking courses, but I think for MD programs its not as impressive to go back and retake the same undergraduate courses and ace them the second or third time(grades are averaged) as opposed to challenging yourself and acing an upper level course the first time. Another benefit of a graduate program is that you will get a separate gpa on your AMCAS and a 4.0 graduate gpa has the potential to stand out and make an upward trend more prolific.This is all simply opinion. I don't think there is a clear answer to what is the right way to go in this case, because there is no clear path to medical school, and there is no ADCOM that is built alike..they are all looking for something different and that something changes with every new class. I think whatever you decide to do can be impactful if you go at it whole heartedly and put forth maximum effort.

Thank you for sharing! I would hate to end up wasting money so I think I will go take some more classes while I can!

i'd have to respectfully disagree. Masters programs are very costly and timely and with no linkage there is no guarantee it will help you get into medical school, so those are the biggest factors i think to consider, but also the type of Masters you complete. I do think completing MHAs, MPHs in a non science specialization, or an MA may not help much, but if your program is catered toward medical school, I think it can be impactful. I completed a masters of medical science at the University of South Florida's College of Medicine, it was a l year masters, in which I took Pharmacology, Physiology, Neurology, Histology, Anatomy, Embryology, Biochemistry, Immunology/Microbio, Genetics, Gross Anatomy (with full cadaver dissections), and Health Science Ethics. All these were in the medical school, taught by the same exact professors. This program pretty much mirrored the first 2 years of medical school, and I had a ton of classmates who after failing to matriculate multiple cycles, got a 3.5 and above in this program and got into medical school this year. Now I will say that a masters is going to cost you and if you don't get a 3.5 + gpa in a masters program like this, it can also be a huge red flag for medschools, but if you do well it can say a lot about your ability to perform at that level. That all being said, you may very well be able to gain the same results from just taking courses, but I think for MD programs its not as impressive to go back and retake the same undergraduate courses and ace them the second or third time(grades are averaged) as opposed to challenging yourself and acing an upper level course the first time. Another benefit of a graduate program is that you will get a separate gpa on your AMCAS and a 4.0 graduate gpa has the potential to stand out and make an upward trend more prolific.This is all simply opinion. I don't think there is a clear answer to what is the right way to go in this case, because there is no clear path to medical school, and there is no ADCOM that is built alike..they are all looking for something different and that something changes with every new class. I think whatever you decide to do can be impactful if you go at it whole heartedly and put forth maximum effort.

I definitely agree with this as well. A program like the one you completed could definitely help, I also think improving my undergrad would make my app even stronger!

Official rejection. I really enjoyed going through this with you all. Good luck to everyone, no matter the outcome. Please don't give up.

Official rejection. I really enjoyed going through this with you all. Good luck to everyone, no matter the outcome. Please don't give up.
Sorry to hear that, keep your head up. What time did you get your email?

Congrats! Which program, if you don't mind me asking?

I also have a question: I recently got an interview invite at Temple's ACMS program for July 1 and I was wondering if anyone knows/could speculate what would happen if I left DPMS if I somehow managed to get an acceptance at Temple. I'm scared to call and ask but I'll probably end up doing that before I commit just to be safe. Any thoughts??

Hey! I'm in the same boat as you. Have you managed to figure anything out regarding this? I'm not sure what to do.

It's not necessarily that. I'm just forever indecisive because I hate not knowing. I haven't had the opportunity to visit Temple yet, but I believe that part of succeeding in med school is the fit. I may be naive, in fact I know I am in many ways, but I just want to be sure.

It's not necessarily that. I'm just forever indecisive because I hate not knowing. I haven't had the opportunity to visit Temple yet, but I believe that part of succeeding in med school is the fit. I may be naive, in fact I know I am in many ways, but I just want to be sure.

I dont understand why you would want to leave DPMS program for Temple ACMS. Its the same thing -- conditional acceptance to their med school once you meet their criterias.

DPMS is for disadvantage or URM students. If you have not satisfied their MCAT requirement, you are expected to get 45% percentile in all subjects on the new MCAT and meet their GPA requirement of 3.2.

Temple ACMS is for everyone (disadvantage or not). Their MCAT requirement is 30 overall. New MCAT required is 70% percentile overall and GPA requirement is 3.5.

I would say it is not a wise decision if you drop DPMS for Temple. You're just wasting time and money. You're also wasting admissions time. There are tons of other people who would die to get the spot you currently have. Besides Temple is not a program to rely on even if you get an interview. No one knows what type of applicants theyre looking for. This year, there has been applicants who received the interview but was rejected. if you get into DPMS, then stick to it. Besides, both program serves the same purpose.

Last edited:
What I'm really worried about it is whether I should do a program or work during my year off in a lab and take classes closer to home, then apply to drexel normally. My family currently needs my help financially and I'd feel selfish going into debt instead of helping. I guess I'm just scared by how quickly I have to make the decision. I feel so much pressure and I'm just being wishy-washy because of it. Temple just gives me more time to make a decision. Idk, I'm just scared. I think either school would be a good fit honestly (they are both great schools overall). I'm sorry if it came across as me thinking that one is better than the other. That is not the case. I just have a lot on my plate (like I'm sure many of us do) and I'm worried.

I dont understand why you would want to leave DPMS program for Temple ACMS. Its the same thing -- conditional acceptance to their med school once you meet the criterias.

DPMS is for disadvantage or URM students. If you have not satisfied their MCAT requirement, you are expected to get 45% percentile in all subjects on the new MCAT and meet their GPA requirement is 3.2.

Temple ACMS is everyone (disadvantage or not). Their MCAT requirement is 30 overall. New MCAT required is 70% percentile overall and GPA requirement is 3.5.

I would say it is not a wise decision if you drop DPMS for Temple. Temple is not a program to rely on even if you get an interview. No one knows what type of applicants theyre looking for. This year, there has been applicants who received the interview but was rejected. if you get into DPMS, then stick to it. Besides, both program serves the same purpose.

I'm not sure about what @PiggyPug6 's situation is, but for me I wouldn't have to take the MCAT at either school so that's not a deciding factor. And the matriculation rate at Temple's ACMS (~95% ish?) is much higher than DPMS's (~55% ish). So looking strictly at odds one would be more likely to make it to med school from ACMS than DPMS. Temple is also generally considered to be a "better" med school for people that care about that kind of thing. And from what I've read the clinical years (i.e. that part of med school that matters the most) tend to be much better at Temple. Everyone I've talked to who has had to choose between the two for med school has acknowledged that Temple is picked a good majority of the time.

Having said all that, I did end up turning down the ACMS interview because I want to be settled on a program already and not waiting through the summer to know for sure. And there's no way I would (hypothetically) turn down DPMS without an ACMS acceptance - the question was whether or not to interview and how that would work if I were eventually accepted.

What I'm really worried about it is whether I should do a program or work during my year off in a lab and take classes closer to home, then apply to drexel normally. My family currently needs my help financially and I'd feel selfish going into debt instead of helping. I guess I'm just scared by how quickly I have to make the decision. I feel so much pressure and I'm just being wishy-washy because of it. Temple just gives me more time to make a decision. Idk, I'm just scared. I think either school would be a good fit honestly (they are both great schools overall). I'm sorry if it came across as me thinking that one is better than the other. That is not the case. I just have a lot on my plate (like I'm sure many of us do) and I'm worried.

Sorry, I missed whether you were admitted to DPMS and/or ACMS already? If so, definitely go for one them! Going through the hassle and stress (financially and emotionally) of applying to med school traditionally sounds awful. I'd take the guarantee and run with it if I were you :)

this question may be above our pay grades but why is Drexel so expensive for one, for a school that has an entering class more than double that of most medical schools, I would think the cost would be a little bit lower and it seems like its increasing, it cost more to go to Drexel than to Penn. Secondly, DPMS is a program catered to disadvanted and urm students, shouldn't a program like that have some cost subsidization or something. To identify students as socially or economically disadvantaged and then charge them 40,000+ a year for a chance at getting into medical school seems a little off to me, but I digress.

Hey Guys,

Just stopping by to say congrats to those accepted to DPMS (as well as other programs)! No matter what route we take, we will be doctors! See you at the finish line... ;)

I'm not sure about what @PiggyPug6 's situation is, but for me I wouldn't have to take the MCAT at either school so that's not a deciding factor. And the matriculation rate at Temple's ACMS (~95% ish?) is much higher than DPMS's (~55% ish). So looking strictly at odds one would be more likely to make it to med school from ACMS than DPMS. Temple is also generally considered to be a "better" med school for people that care about that kind of thing. And from what I've read the clinical years (i.e. that part of med school that matters the most) tend to be much better at Temple. Everyone I've talked to who has had to choose between the two for med school has acknowledged that Temple is picked a good majority of the time.

Having said all that, I did end up turning down the ACMS interview because I want to be settled on a program already and not waiting through the summer to know for sure. And there's no way I would (hypothetically) turn down DPMS without an ACMS acceptance - the question was whether or not to interview and how that would work if I were eventually accepted.

In regards to matriculation rate, in my opinion, I don't think that is true. Both programs are similar in that their curriculum consist of 1st year medical student courses. You have to be mentally prepared to do well in the program because it is hard, however, it is doable if you put in the effort. Hence why the applicant has to ask themselves, are they prepared academically? Are their life situation stable? I asked this because no matter how smart or talented an applicant is, if there are external forces such as family death, unstable home environment, and etc, the applicant cannot focus. It will affect the applicant's confidence level. Also, this program is different from undergrad because as an undergrad you can still have a life besides classes whereas in medical school, not so much. If students know early that medical school is what their aiming for, they would do well in undergrad, however, for those that don't know and slack off, it reflects in their undergrad GPA. Some students also experience situations that affect them early on too. All of this is a reflection of how mature an individual is. You have hear stories where an applicant was told they would not get into medical school due to low GPA or low MCAT score, and guess what? They did after enhancing their GPA with several advance science courses or even a post-bac program and re-taking the MCAT (scoring higher). Therefore, I don't think matriculation rates tells much about how a program is. Medical school programs also makes mistakes in admitting students that are not as serious into medicine too, but the applicant was accepted because their GPA and MCAT pass their cut off. These are the type of applicants that does poorly in the program and thus affect the matriculation rate.

For clinical years, some medical schools are better than others. However, all that we heard are from other people's experience. Everyone has different expectations and different views. A medical school is a medical school. You will always be learning even when you become a physician. It doesn't matter which medical school you attend. You will all end up with the MD or DO degree. What matters most is residency because that is where you will gain the actual experience. To get into a good residency program, besides good social skills, its also how you score compare to other medical school candidates.

Just my opinion.

^Word. Agree to disagree; I was just sharing my reasoning. Plus I think we've derailed this thread enough ;)

In regards to matriculation rate, in my opinion, I don't think that is true. Both programs are similar in that their curriculum consist of 1st year medical student courses. You have to be mentally prepared to do well in the program because it is hard, however, it is doable if you put in the effort. Hence why the applicant has to ask themselves, are they prepared academically? Are their life situation stable? I asked this because no matter how smart or talented an applicant is, if there are external forces such as family death, unstable home environment, and etc, the applicant cannot focus. It will affect the applicant's confidence level. Also, this program is different from undergrad because as an undergrad you can still have a life besides classes whereas in medical school, not so much. If students know early that medical school is what their aiming for, they would do well in undergrad, however, for those that don't know and slack off, it reflects in their undergrad GPA. Some students also experience situations that affect them early on too. All of this is a reflection of how mature an individual is. You have hear stories where an applicant was told they would not get into medical school due to low GPA or low MCAT score, and guess what? They did after enhancing their GPA with several advance science courses or even a post-bac program and re-taking the MCAT (scoring higher). Therefore, I don't think matriculation rates tells much about how a program is. Medical school programs also makes mistakes in admitting students that are not as serious into medicine too, but the applicant was accepted because their GPA and MCAT pass their cut off. These are the type of applicants that does poorly in the program and thus affect the matriculation rate.

For clinical years, some medical schools are better than others. However, all that we heard are from other people's experience. Everyone has different expectations and different views. A medical school is a medical school. You will always be learning even when you become a physician. It doesn't matter which medical school you attend. You will all end up with the MD or DO degree. What matters most is residency because that is where you will gain the actual experience. To get into a good residency program, besides good social skills, its also how you score compare to other medical school candidates.

Just my opinion.

@tar_heel,
Same. I'm just sharing my opinion.
Anyways, Congratz on starting DPMS! Just do your best in the program and you'll matriculate.
Now, lets move to the new thread! This 2015-2016 thread will slowly start to die off.

Although I've been accepted into DPMS, I was placed into track 1 even though I was pretty sure I would be placed into track 2. Since I am really determined to not retake the MCAT (since I have already taken it twice) and I've been accepted to another SMP with a linkage to their medical school, I've made a difficult decision to withdraw my application and therefore turndown my acceptance to this program. I truly hope the spot goes to one of you individuals on this forum because I have witnessed y'all perseverance and determination. I am confident everyone will make it in due time. No one's story is more evident than that of @Maytheoddsbeinyourfavor!

MORAL OF THE STORY IS NEVER GIVE UP!!! We will all be doctors one day! Thank you guys for all the support through this tumultuous journey.

Reactions: 5 users