Drexel DPMS 2016 - 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you a re-applicant or first timer?

• Total voters
Thanks for replying. So if its considered incomplete - they won't even look at it...correct?

Correct.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I have been reading through alot of the post, and most of my questions have been answered but i wanted to see if anyone could help me identify my chances as i am considering applying (actually my app is complete just need to hit send) to the DPMS program as well.
Here are my stats
- I am a URM non-traditional student that just concluded that MD is it for me.
- My undergrad gpa is not strong at all (~3.0 in biomed engineering minor mech).
- My grades for some of the science classes are also unimpressive ( C - to B+).
- My grad gpa is midway (~ 3.4 in physiology and biophysics).
- I do have healthcare experience (~ 6yrs, EMT-CC, clinical asst, cardiology asst etc).
- My MCAT is appalling (under ~500).

So i guess my really question is do i even stand a chance or should i have hope that i might get lucky, or is there any part of my stat that i should work on before applying to this program.

Am so sorry this is long but any criticism might be helpful in helping me decide.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,
I have been reading through alot of the post, and most of my questions have been answered but i wanted to see if anyone could help me identify my chances as i am considering applying (actually my app is complete just need to hit send) to the DPMS program as well.
Here are my stats
- I am a URM non-traditional student that just concluded that MD is it for me.
- My undergrad gpa is not strong at all (~3.0 in biomed engineering minor mech).
- My grades for some of the science classes are also unimpressive ( C - to B+).
- My grad gpa is midway (~ 3.4 in physiology and biophysics).
- I do have healthcare experience (~ 6yrs, EMT-CC, clinical asst, cardiology asst etc).
- My MCAT is appalling (under ~500).

So i guess my really question is do i even stand a chance or should i have hope that i might get lucky, or is there any part of my stat that i should work on before applying to this program.

Am so sorry this is long but any criticism might be helpful in helping me decide.

Hello there.
I totally understand your concern. Like most of us on this forum, we all have the same thought: Do I stand a chance? Should I apply? What if I'm not disadvantage enough?..these endless thoughts cycle through our mind and will ultimately drive us insane if we don't control our own emotions and thoughts. My recommendation would be don't think too much, just apply and do your best to show who you are in the application essays. Let the admission committee be the judge whether you are a perfect fit for their program. Ask yourself why do you want to be a doctor? Look at your weaknesses. Do not compare yourself to another person. Each person is unique in their own ways. If this doesn't work out, there are other programs. If medicine is what you really want to get into, the doors will be open. Don't give up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I'm currently applying. This program is an awesome opportunity that I really hope to be a part of. With regards to the linkage/early assurance, the website states, "Drexel Pathway to Medical School program students who meet the GPA and MCAT score requirements matriculate into the medical school." Does anyone know the exact requirements? It'd be nice to not have to retake the MCAT. Also, for the essays, are they all supposed to be in paragraph format? bullet points just work so much better for the extracurricular/shadowing/volunteer work topic...

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I'm currently applying. This program is an awesome opportunity that I really hope to be a part of. With regards to the linkage/early assurance, the website states, "Drexel Pathway to Medical School program students who meet the GPA and MCAT score requirements matriculate into the medical school." Does anyone know the exact requirements? It'd be nice to not have to retake the MCAT. Also, for the essays, are they all supposed to be in paragraph format? bullet points just work so much better for the extracurricular/shadowing/volunteer work topic...

Thanks!

Requirements to matriculate is 3.2 GPA and new MCAT >40 percentile.
It's suppose to be in paragraph format because the questions asked you to describe.
The essays took me awhile to complete. It's long! It feels like completing a secondary essay.

Is there any gap requirement? Do we need a minimum gpa in order to be eligible to apply?

Is there any gap requirement? Do we need a minimum gpa in order to be eligible to apply?

Minimum of 2.9 I believe, but they'll view the application using a holistic approach.

it's not rolling, but I imagine they'll look at a few at the end of Feb. then not until after the March deadline

I agree. I submitted my application in December 2015 and they still haven't send me a status update on my application yet. Most likely, they haven't looked at it yet.

Requirements to matriculate is 3.2 GPA and new MCAT >40 percentile.
It's suppose to be in paragraph format because the questions asked you to describe.
The essays took me awhile to complete. It's long! It feels like completing a secondary essay.

Hey, just an FYI the MCAT requirement is >45 percentile. The GPA requirement is right, though.

Reactions: 1 users
what would that be in the old mcat? seems like 23-25 range?

Old MCAT: at least a 21 with no scores below a 6 to apply.
To matriculate to their med school, you need at least 7 verbal, 8 biological science and 8 on chem/phys

Members don't see this ad :)
AH! thanks for the correction. I am slightly off.
No problem. A lot of people thought they would have been a track 2, but ended up being a track 1, so it caused some widespread stress. Good luck!

Has anyone sent letters in via interfolio yet? I cant seem to find it in the list of places to deliver.

Hey all, I'm in a tricky situation and wondering if anyone else is dealing with the same thing. So I'm applying with a MCAT score of 23, which would place me in the retake track. Does anyone know how the MCAT prep works with the program? Like how long will you have to study and improve your score? I recently signed up for an MCAT course, and I'm already scheduled to take the new mcat in late May. Basically, I am trying to do well and exceed the minimum score for linkage PRIOR to starting the program.

Drexel is really my top choice (it's exactly what I'm seeking) and I'd love to knock that MCAT requirement out of the way early, so I can place all my focus on classes/GPA. The relatively late interview/acceptance time frame makes it especially hard to figure out my plan for these next few months.

Last edited:
Hey all, I'm in a tricky situation and wondering if anyone else is dealing with the same thing. So I'm applying with a MCAT score of 23, which would place me in the retake track. Does anyone know how the MCAT prep works with the program? Like how long will you have to study and improve your score? I recently signed up for an MCAT course, and I'm already scheduled to take the new mcat in late May. Basically, I am trying to do well and exceed the minimum score for linkage PRIOR to starting the program. It's tough because I've been accepted at a D.O. post bacc program that would provide me linkage without a MCAT retake.

But Drexel is really my top choice (it's exactly what I'm seeking) and I'd love to knock that MCAT requirement out of the way early, so I can place all my focus on classes/GPA. The relatively late interview/acceptance time frame makes it especially hard to figure out my plan for these next few months.
I can tell you right now that the MCAT score you have now is what determines the track you will be placed in (which means your retake in May will not be considered) I'm not sure what the MCAT prep is like you can reach out to one of the current DPMSers to find out.

Hey guys! I attended the info session and here's the new info:

they are seeking a sGPA of 3.0 or above (but of course, remember it is holistic)
they are looking for and MCAT of 25+ or 45 percentile on the new MCAT

it's getting more competitive :(

Last edited:
Got this email today "Your application to the Drexel Pathway to Medicine program is now complete and will be forwarded to the admissions committee for review. Please note decisions are not made on any applications until after the application deadline date of March 25, 2016." any updates from you guys? Seems like we wont find out about decisions for a long time....

Hey guys! I attended the info session and here's the new info:

they are seeking a sGPA of 3.0 or above (but of course, remember it is holistic)
they are looking for and MCAT of 27+ or 45 percentile on the new MCAT

it's getting more competitive :(

I attended the informational at an earlier session and definitely didn't see or hear of that requirement. An MCAT of 27 isn't 45th percentile, either?

I attended the informational at an earlier session and definitely didn't see or hear of that requirement. An MCAT of 27 isn't 45th percentile, either?

Here is a screenshot of the requirements from an earlier information session for DPMS.
DPMS Admissions Requirements.jpg

So is that for admissions of DPMS or are those the requirements to matriculate into Drexel the following year?

So is that for admissions of DPMS or are those the requirements to matriculate into Drexel the following year?

It's to be "competitive" for admissions into DPMS. The requirements to matriculate into DUCOM is a 3.2 gpa in DPMS without any grades lower than a C, and the same MCAT requirements.

Can anyone confirm that even if our application is completed we wont hear anything until april?

Hi all,

I am finishing my application materials for the DPMS Program. I already submitted my online application and fee.
Does anyone know how they want the rest of the documents sent (i.e. Math/Science Calculations)?
Can the Math/Science Calculator be emailed?
I sent my MCAT score through AAMC to Drexel--Other.
Thank you and good luck to everyone in their application cycle!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am finishing my application materials for the DPMS Program. I already submitted my online application and fee.
Does anyone know how they want the rest of the documents sent (i.e. Math/Science Calculations)?
Yes you email that and they should reply with a confirmation email

Hi all,

FYI: This is the site you can use to fill your Math/Science Calculator: https://www2.drexelmed.edu/pshspayments/BCPM.aspx
-- After you submit it, you also get an e-mail of the PDF file as well.

Payments is sent through this website: https://www2.drexelmed.edu/pshspayments/

I just got an email that my app was complete and will be forwarded for review. It said decesions will not be made on any apps until after the deadline of April 29, 2016. Why does it seem like people are getting different dates?

I just got an email that my app was complete and will be forwarded for review. It said decesions will not be made on any apps until after the deadline of April 29, 2016. Why does it seem like people are getting different dates?

Where should the transcripts be sent to?

Where should the transcripts be sent to?
Division of Pre-medical and Pre-health Programs
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and Professional Studies
245 North 15th Street, Mail Stop 344
New College Building, Room 4104
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Sorry!! It was definitely 25, lol not sure why I typed 27

From info session today, no II will be sent out until after April 29. You may or may not get a rejection before that.

Just checked the portal and saw I've been rejected. They did not email me.

yup same with me. Oh well, good luck to all other applicants wish you all the best of luck!

Hey! are you guys sure the portal is accurate? I got a complete email a few months back but the portal says my application is incomplete. I called the office earlier this month and the lady told me the portal was not accurate.

Just got rejected as well. Best of luck to all the other applicants!

Just got rejected as well. Best of luck to all the other applicants!
Where are you guys going to check your status? My portal vanished after I submitted my application and received the complete email.

Are we sure that the portal is accurate? I was just complete like a week ago and it says rejected...

I'm not sure either . My status is incomplete, but I got a complete email

Got a call saying that I've been accepted to a different program msp I think? Not sure what to think of it I have no information on it lol.

How did you all submit letter of recommendation? Interfolio? To their contact us address (below)? And any other forms need to accompany the letter of recommendation? I've emailed, got no response. Website only stated 3 letters.

Division of Pre-medical and Pre-health Programs
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and Professional Studies
245 North 15th Street, Mail Stop 344
New College Building, Room 4104
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Last edited:
Got a call saying that I've been accepted to a different program msp I think? Not sure what to think of it I have no information on it lol.
Do you mind sharing your stats? I want to apply but I think my stats are too low. :(

How were your stats? I am not sure if I even have a chance.
My stats are low, 30 MCAT 2.05 uGPA 3.5 grad GPA. I think I wasn't what they considered to be "underrepresented or disadvantaged" though.