Drexel DPMS 2016 - 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you a re-applicant or first timer?

• Total voters
Is anyone applying to med school at the same time and applying to this?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

I know the deadline is in April, but is it too late apply to this program for this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know the deadline is in April, but is it too late apply to this program for this cycle?
Nope, its not late. They review all applications after the deadline aka no rolling admissions.

To everyone who hasn't submitted their application, don't forget if you attend an info session, application fee is waived.
They have a couple coming up http://drexel.edu/grad/events/overview/
The next session is at the end of March. I want to submit my application today. If I submit and pay, will they refund me after attending the session?

Reactions: 1 user
The next session is at the end of March. I want to submit my application today. If I submit and pay, will they refund me after attending the session?
Sorry, it doesn't work retroactively.

Is anyone sending transcripts electronically? I'm trying to send my PDF transcripts through TranscriptsPlus, but only the below three are eligible to receive transcripts electronically:

1. OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS
DREXEL UNIVERSITY
PO BOX 34789
PHILADELPHIA PA 19101-4789

2. OFFICE APPLICATION PROCESSING
DREXEL UNIVERSITY
PO BOX 34789
PHILADELPHIA PA 19101-4789

3. ONLINE APPLICANT SERVICES
DREXEL UNIVERSITY - ONLINE
3001 MARKET ST STE 18
PHILADELPHIA PA 19104-2848

I don't think DPMS falls in any of the three categories. Should I just mail them hard copies?
Also, did they change their program deadline from March 25th to April 29th?

Does anyone know when the first day of classes would begin? I have two poster presentations in May and June and would like to present those, but I believe this program begins in the summer.

Hello everyone. Im applying to DPMS this cycle too and praying for the best, however I was wondering if anyone knows of more programs similar to this one who's deadlines have not passed yet? I know there's a lot of post-baccs out there but not all offer conditional acceptance or some sort of early assurance/guarantee.

Hello everyone. Im applying to DPMS this cycle too and praying for the best, however I was wondering if anyone knows of more programs similar to this one who's deadlines have not passed yet? I know there's a lot of post-baccs out there but not all offer conditional acceptance or some sort of early assurance/guarantee.

Yeah, you're a bit late in the cycle. Georgetown GEMS, Temple ACMS/BCMS (BCMS Application is due today) are still open.

For future reference though Ohio (MEDPATH), Illinois(PAP), Michigan (ABLE-for non science majors) but you have to have applied to the schools through AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! are you guys sure the portal is accurate? I got a complete email a few months back but the portal says my application is incomplete. I called the office earlier this month and the lady told me the portal was not accurate.
Maybe its not! I still haven't received any emails from them. I guess I will just leave it alone until their deadline March 25 because they did say during info session that they don't make decisions until then.

On the website, it says that DPMS program students are provided guaranteed acceptance to Drexel med following certain conditions. What exactly are those conditions (aka-what are the GPA and MCAT requirements) to get that acceptance?

On the website, it says that DPMS program students are provided guaranteed acceptance to Drexel med following certain conditions. What exactly are those conditions (aka-what are the GPA and MCAT requirements) to get that acceptance?

You must maintain a 3.2 GPA overall and for the MCAT you must test 45th percentile or above in each section as well as overall.

Hey there! I'm a current DPMSer so, feel free to ask me any questions about my experience. Good luck to everyone that is applying!

Is this program worth applying to if you are not URM?

Also is Middle Eastern considered URM?
I definitely don't think being Middle Eastern rules you out! There are many current and past DPMSers that are of Middle Eastern descent.

Does anyone know when the first day of classes would begin? I have two poster presentations in May and June and would like to present those, but I believe this program begins in the summer.
Classes start in June, but I am unsure of the official start date.

My stats are low, 30 MCAT 2.05 uGPA 3.5 grad GPA. I think I wasn't what they considered to be "underrepresented or disadvantaged" though.
As a current DPMSer, I think your stats are great and you may have been rejected because they know you could apply traditionally and get into med school with your current stats.

Reactions: 1 users
@ANON2016
Can you comment on the difficulty of the program? I mean it's 48 credits, when other SMP programs such as ACMS is only 20+ credits.

As a current DPMSer, I think your stats are great and you may have been rejected because they know you could apply traditionally and get into med school with your current stats.
Thanks for that, I applied last year and didn't get anything...I'm taking the new MCAT in June since my score is expiring and will be applying this round so hopefully something comes through.

I've been wait listed at a few medical schools and would love a direct pathway SMP like this if it is possible for me to get in. I'm thinking of applying here, but I would really like to know if I have a good chance

cGPA 2.79, sGPA 3.10, most recent 60 units GPA 3.72 (all science).
MCAT 504 (126, 125, 127, 126)
Non trad, 200+ shadowing M.D., solid LORs, economic hardship.

What do you think?

@ANON2016
Can you comment on the difficulty of the program? I mean it's 48 credits, when other SMP programs such as ACMS is only 20+ credits.

The program is very difficult and little support is provided. I left the program due to a lack of support and no willingness of the program to help. They pretty much throw you out in deep water with no life jacket. I would not recommend this program, overall, I recommend applying the traditional way. It's expensive and unnecessary and to be honest, a M.S. in Biomedical Sciences will not prepare you for very many jobs, so be mindful of that. I'm not bitter or angry with dpms, just disappointed they would waste my money and time. Just wanted to be truthful with you guys! Good luck to everyone. This isn't the only way to become a doctor.

Reactions: 3 users
The program is very difficult and little support is provided. I left the program due to a lack of support and no willingness of the program to help. They pretty much throw you out in deep water with no life jacket. I would not recommend this program, overall, I recommend applying the traditional way. It's expensive and unnecessary and to be honest, a M.S. in Biomedical Sciences will not prepare you for very many jobs, so be mindful of that. I'm not bitter or angry with dpms, just disappointed they would waste my money and time. Just wanted to be truthful with you guys! Good luck to everyone. This isn't the only way to become a doctor.

I have noticed that they are very cryptic about how many people end up matriculating to drexel med after the program? do you know many do?

I have noticed that they are very cryptic about how many people end up matriculating to drexel med after the program? do you know many do?

Yes, it's sadly low. It will probably be even lower this year since they just changed the program to a master's one. I would say at least 25% of the initial class of 2015-16 has left the program with the same concerns. They don't want to give us the medical seats, that's the truth. In the past it has been ~60% matriculation which should have been a huge red flag for me, but I thought hard work would equal matriculation, it doesn't.

Yes, it's sadly low. It will probably be even lower this year since they just changed the program to a master's one. I would say at least 25% of the initial class of 2015-16 has left the program with the same concerns. They don't want to give us the medical seats, that's the truth. In the past it has been ~60% matriculation which should have been a huge red flag for me, but I thought hard work would equal matriculation, it doesn't.

good to know. how many ppl were in the initial class?

No offense, but I don't think your statement is candid and you're just bitter about your situation. If only 25% got into the medical school, then no one would sign up for it. Besides, I am sure the majority can attain the 3.0 GPA requirement.

No offense, but I don't think your statement is candid and you're just bitter about your situation. If only 25% got into the medical school, then no one would sign up for it. Besides, I am sure the majority can attain the 3.0 GPA requirement.

r u or were u in the program?

I shouldn't even be responding to your message, as I am here to help and tell people the truth. I am not bitter at all and really you don't know. I was in the class and you get to know everyone and I'd say a good majority would agree with what I'm saying. It may not be what you want to hear, but I'm the one stepping out and putting myself out there to let people know.

To everyone else: I'm not saying don't apply or try to complete the program, I am saying this program is NOT the magic route to medical school. Only YOU can get yourself there, don't depend on this program to do that.

Reactions: 4 users

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is...
This isn't about bad mouthing the program, its about giving you an honest perspective about how this program is run and the challenges you have to overcome to get through the program.

Its a 3.2 GPA...which easier said than done. These are medical school classes, not undergraduate courses...

Reactions: 2 users
In my opinion, if you can't get a 3.2 in this program, maybe you're not apt to become a physician... I mean, this program sounds like a second chance for those who screwed up in their first shot at college. If you still think that getting into this program alone will get you into a medical school, and don't even try to change your old work ethics, then I suggest you look for another profession.

In my opinion, if you can't get a 3.2 in this program, maybe you're not apt to become a physician... I mean, this program sounds like a second chance for those who screwed up in their first shot at college. If you still think that getting into this program alone will get you into a medical school, and don't even try to change your old work ethics, then I suggest you look for another profession.

why do ppl talk like this and they are not in the program? makes no sense...and it's very entitled.

Last edited:
Cool, which DPMS year were you?

why do ppl talk like this and they are not in the program? makes no sense...and it's very entitled.
It has nothing to do with entitlement. This is the only second-chance program that takes the lowest of the totem pole. Just look at ACMS from Temple. Most accepted applicants could have got into DO schools without a problem. So if you can't get a 3.2 and show you are worthy of a spot then medicine is not for you.

It has nothing to do with entitlement. This is the only second-chance program that takes the lowest of the totem pole. Just look at ACMS from Temple. Most accepted applicants could have got into DO schools without a problem. So if you can't get a 3.2 and show you are worthy of a spot then medicine is not for you.

ok

Last edited:
There are NO second chances with this program, grow up. Most if not all of people in the program came in with GPAs well over 3.2... You should have a high GPA with a low MCAT -OR- a low GPA (not below 3.0) with a high MCAT score to have chances getting into this program. EVERYONE accepted into DPMS is unbelievably smart, but that does not determine your success in a program that wants majority to fail. This program is about making money, like many other businesses. I'm going to give an example of how unsupportive this program currently is (maybe it'll change). In the summer time, during our Medical Terminology class, we had a professor who was out to destroy us, literally. She gave us anatomy exams and was not even qualified to do so, as she knew very little about human anatomy, however, she gave us these ridiculously hard exams and even when she was wrong (on her key), which we had proof (from the textbook), she refused to listen and said, "conversation over."

Last year, I was the first to interview and the first batch to be accepted. I had a 3.5 graduate GPA and a pretty unique background, my only hindrance was the MCAT, so listen before you judge. I will no longer be commenting on this page as the NON-DPMS Students ruined it for others who may have been legitimately curious, so if anyone has any real concerns or questions, please inbox me and I am happy to help, even if you need help with applying to the program (I am an open book). Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
For what it's worth, I have a friend who was just matched into a pediatrics residency who went through DPMS who loved it.

Does that mean the program has changed by that much since she was accepted in 2010/2011?

eta: She did say a minimum of 50% make it through, though. So that makes sense with what was discussed in this thread.

Please understand that we are doing YOU a favor. We are taking the time out of our schedules to try and answer your questions and give you advice on how to apply and interview. As an individual seeking a professional degree, you should keep your comments professional. Please be aware that you are insulting people who know and have access to the people who will interview you and decide whether or not you will be accepted into this program.

For what it's worth, I have a friend who was just matched into a pediatrics residency who went through DPMS who loved it.

Does that mean the program has changed by that much since she was accepted in 2010/2011?

eta: She did say a minimum of 50% make it through, though. So that makes sense with what was discussed in this thread.

Yes, the GPA minimum, MCAT minimum and the courses of DPMS have changed. Also, the students are awarded with a Masters degree instead of the certificate.

Also the administration has changed. The most recent numbers of matriculation rates are about 40%.

Wait... so not everyone in the DPMS don't actually enroll in the COM? If it's really 40%, it's not that guaranteed as compared to Temple postbac...

Wait... so not everyone in the DPMS don't actually enroll in the COM? If it's really 40%, it's not that guaranteed as compared to Temple postbac...

Simply enrolling in the program or passing classes won't guarantee acceptance into COM. The 40% that did matriculate got above the minimum gpa and mcat requirements required for linkage. The other 60% missed the benchmarks. That is pretty sketchy... All this is assuming that 40% is accurate

What do you guys think about applying to DPMS for the fall all while having an app in for the college of medicine? Do you think it'll hurt my chances? I think I read somewhere that its the same "committee" doing the review.