Drexel DPMS 2016 - 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you a re-applicant or first timer?

• Total voters
What do you guys think about applying to DPMS for the fall all while having an app in for the college of medicine? Do you think it'll hurt my chances? I think I read somewhere that its the same "committee" doing the review.
I only applied to Drexel's DPMS program, but
I've actually been wondering the same thing about TUCOM-CA. I submitted a secondary application to the medical school, but I haven't heard back about an interview so I also submitted an app to the MHS program. I just don't want it to look like I'm giving up or something.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@MDProspect ,@SimbaIsTheLionKing300 ,@reinesupreme and others..., I am a student who applied to this program and got accepted last year. Fortunately, I got accepted somewhere else too, and therefore did NOT matriculate into the DPMS program. I know a few students who were accepted into the program and matriculated. I've kept in touch with some of them and to be honest with you guys, even those who are on track to make the contract don't have positive things to say. It is my understanding that the program is extremely difficult and students are not provided with the necessary support to make the contract. They've told me that they have been/were miserable, and many have dropped out of the program. From my conversations with them, it seems like Drexel doesn't really care about the students enrolled in these programs (ooh and actually, there are other programs besides DPMS, although dpms is the only one that comes with a guaranteed acceptance...). When one or two people drop out of a program, it's usually not a big deal. When you start seeing many dropping out though, I think many of us would agree that there is a problem with the program. I don't think people are here on this thread to post negative things just for the sake of doing it. They are telling the truth. Feel free to take a look at my previous posts on SDN, I am not the type to post negative comments.

To finish, had I not been accepted anywhere else, I would have definitely enrolled into the DPMS program, so I am not discouraging anyone. I think you should definitely apply because in the end, there are people who make the contract and I had the honor to chat with a few of them on my interview day. My advice to you guys though, GO TO THIS PROGRAM IF IT'S ABSOLUTELY YOUR LAST OPTION during the application cycle. Feel free to post here or message me if you have any questions. Thanks.

@MDProspect ,@SimbaIsTheLionKing300 ,@reinesupreme and others..., I am a student who applied to this program and got accepted last year. Fortunately, I got accepted somewhere else too, and therefore did NOT matriculate into the DPMS program. I know a few students who were accepted into the program and matriculated. I've kept in touch with some of them and to be honest with you guys, even those who are on track to make the contract don't have positive things to say. It is my understanding that the program is extremely difficult and students are not provided with the necessary support to make the contract. They've told me that they have been/were miserable, and many have dropped out of the program. From my conversations with them, it seems like Drexel doesn't really care about the students enrolled in these programs (ooh and actually, there are other programs besides DPMS, although dpms is the only one that comes with a guaranteed acceptance...). When one or two people drop out of a program, it's usually not a big deal. When you start seeing many dropping out though, I think many of us would agree that there is a problem with the program. I don't think people are here on this thread to post negative things just for the sake of doing it. They are telling the truth. Feel free to take a look at my previous posts on SDN, I am not the type to post negative comments.

To finish, had I not been accepted anywhere else, I would have definitely enrolled into the DPMS program, so I am not discouraging anyone. I think you should definitely apply because in the end, there are people who make the contract and I had the honor to chat with a few of them on my interview day. My advice to you guys though, GO TO THIS PROGRAM IF IT'S ABSOLUTELY YOUR LAST OPTION during the application cycle. Feel free to post here or message me if you have any questions. Thanks.
I thought that if you apply somewhere besides Drexel it voids your potential acceptance. Was this true for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that if you apply somewhere besides Drexel it voids your potential acceptance. Was this true for you?
Nope, you can apply to many other schools as a regular applicant and also apply to postbaccs/masters while you apply to the Drexel DPMS program. Doing that does not affect your chances of getting into the dpms program at all or other med schools. Now if you get accepted, and go through the program and make the contract, you are obligated to matriculate into Drexel college of medicine (someone correct me if am wrong). Hope I answered your question.

Hi guys,
with all this talk about how difficult and uncertain the DPMS program is I wanted to know what the majority of you would do in a situation where you get accepted into the DPMS program and both of the top schools in the Caribbean, that is Ross and St George. kind of what am asking is would you take the uncertainty of the DPMS program over the Caribbean. I would be very pleased if you all give your opinions, it would also be greatly appreciated if a present or past DPMSer can also chime in.

thank you

Hi guys,
with all this talk about how difficult and uncertain the DPMS program is I wanted to know what the majority of you would do in a situation where you get accepted into the DPMS program and both of the top schools in the Caribbean, that is Ross and St George. kind of what am asking is would you take the uncertainty of the DPMS program over the Caribbean. I would be very pleased if you all give your opinions, it would also be greatly appreciated if a present or past DPMSer can also chime in.

thank you

The answer to your question depends on several things.

First, if you consider the financial "risk," comparatively speaking, it's actually much less with DPMS than typical SMPs or grade enhancers. A lot of these programs cost upwards of $60,000 with no guarantee/conditional offer. Drexel's program is just $20,000.

Second, what are the reasons you applied to carribean and not the U.S.... Poor grades, poor MCAT, both? If it's just poor grades, will you be able to get a 3.2 in a difficult and ultracompetitive DPMS program? If it's just poor MCAT, you would still have to take it again to get the minimum in order to matriculate (which I think is 40th percentile overall and in each section). Can you do that?

If you have decent stats, or could get decent stats in the DPMS program, it would be a pretty obvious answer as to the better option being to stay in the U.S. Even though Carribean schools essentially pay hospitals for relationships on the east coast for residency positions of their graduates, the merger (which will be in full effect by your graduation) will severely limit all IMG's chances, even with a high step1 score, to get residency afterwards. I would strongly advice to go to Drexel if accepted and if you are capable of succeeding there. If it's both grades and MCAT, and you don't think you could improve them significantly, then Drexel is a waste of time and money, so the Carribean is the only option. so

The way I see it, if you think you can pass Drexel's program and get 500 ish on the MCAT, then even if you don't matriculate, apply early and broadly and go to a D.O. school in the U.S., having already been exposed to much of the curriculum and showing that you're serious about improving your application. If you get an early acceptance, you can even terminate your studies at DPSM if you want to (although I wouldn't). Going to a U.S. DO or U.S. MD program is 100x better than going to a the Carribean.

The answer to your question depends on several things.

First, if you consider the financial "risk," comparatively speaking, it's actually much less with DPMS than typical SMPs or grade enhancers. A lot of these programs cost upwards of $60,000 with no guarantee/conditional offer. Drexel's program is just $20,000.

Second, what are the reasons you applied to the Caribbean and not the U.S.... Poor grades, poor MCAT, both? If it's just poor grades, will you be able to get a 3.2 in a difficult and ultracompetitive DPMS program? If it's just poor MCAT, you would still have to take it again to get the minimum in order to matriculate (which I think is 40th percentile overall and in each section). Can you do that?

If you have decent stats, or could get decent stats in the DPMS program, it would be a pretty obvious answer as to the better option being to stay in the U.S. Even though Carribean schools essentially pay hospitals for relationships on the east coast for residency positions of their graduates, the merger (which will be in full effect by your graduation) will severely limit all IMG's chances, even with a high step1 score, to get residency afterwards. I would strongly advise going to Drexel if accepted and if you are capable of succeeding there. If it's both grades and MCAT, and you don't think you could improve them significantly, then Drexel is a waste of time and money, so the Carribean is the only option. so

The way I see it, if you think you can pass Drexel's program and get 500 ish on the MCAT, then even if you don't matriculate, apply early and broadly and go to a D.O. school in the U.S., having already been exposed to much of the curriculum and showing that you're serious about improving your application. If you get an early acceptance, you can even terminate your studies at DPSM if you want to (although I wouldn't). Going to a U.S. DO or U.S. MD program is 100x better than going to a the Carribean.

Hi
thanks a lot for the advice, I would wait and see if I can get into the DPMS program. I think my major problem is confidence, the main reason I was considering the Caribbean was mostly due to age (30s), and I am quite tired of waiting, well that and my stats. my undergrad wasn't impressive 3.0, and my grad too wasn't outstanding 3.5 and the mcat was downright bad, so I guess I was just trying to weigh all the options. Thanks a lot for the advice, though.

Hi
thanks a lot for the advice, I would wait and see if I can get into the DPMS program. I think my major problem is confidence, the main reason I was considering the Caribbean was mostly due to age (30s), and I am quite tired of waiting, well that and my stats. my undergrad wasn't impressive 3.0, and my grad too wasn't outstanding 3.5 and the mcat was downright bad, so I guess I was just trying to weigh all the options. Thanks a lot for the advice, though.

D.O. schools will like the grad GPA. Try to increase the MCAT. I'm 28, so you're not that old.

In my opinion, if you can't get a 3.2 in this program, maybe you're not apt to become a physician... I mean, this program sounds like a second chance for those who screwed up in their first shot at college. If you still think that getting into this program alone will get you into a medical school, and don't even try to change your old work ethics, then I suggest you look for another profession.
It has nothing to do with entitlement. This is the only second-chance program that takes the lowest of the totem pole. Just look at ACMS from Temple. Most accepted applicants could have got into DO schools without a problem. So if you can't get a 3.2 and show you are worthy of a spot then medicine is not for you.

I'd just like to shed some light on what the reality of getting a 3.2 is. A 3.2 means that you must receive a B+ in the majority of your classes. At Drexel, a B+ is 88%. Easy right? Not when the medical school median for the exams are around an 82, which is a B-, and your grades ARE NOT CURVED.

As you know, a median grade means that 50% of the class received a 82 or lower. Meaning, you have to work extremely hard to matriculate. We have even gotten emails where professors won't budge on bumping us up .01... So, again, it is very very difficult. Getting straight B's, which is still above the median grade for the medical school still would NOT allow you to matriculate.

Reactions: 5 users
Lol, I find it funny that people who have no inside knowledge about the program come on here and mouth off about people not being cut out to be MDs. I myself applied and interviewed last year. I didn't get in but I kept in touch with a couple people that did. DocHippie's experience is very consistent with what I have heard. A good number of students have left the program and another chunk are afraid they won't make contract.
When someone comes on here to give you information about something they have gone through, try not to be myopic and judgmental. It's for your own good.

Will I apply to the program? Yes but it is LAST RESORT for me.
Don't put all your eggs in this basket.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi guys,

thank you
I would research the current rotation sites and how many students are matched to residency sites in the US or wherever you would like to practice. It is also important to consider your support system and how far away you want to be from family. Try to get honest feedback from current students from the medical schools about their experiences. I wouldn't want to tell you to choose one of the other, but to choose which one you think is best for you. However, knowing you have a spot in medical school and will be starting medical school in the Fall is a nice place to be instead of having to fight for a seat, and still never knowing if that seat will be taken from you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reading all the prior discussions regarding the actual program has made me nervous, but I already submitted my application (finger crossed) and this is kind of my last resort. Is there anything, if granted an acceptance, that could be done to guarantee the spot in COM? And if you did the program but dropped, what specifically made you decided this ain't it for me? Thank you so much for any response.

Reading all the prior discussions regarding the actual program has made me nervous, but I already submitted my application (finger crossed) and this is kind of my last resort. Is there anything, if granted an acceptance, that could be done to guarantee the spot in COM? And if you did the program but dropped, what specifically made you decided this ain't it for me? Thank you so much for any response.

good luck. I can only answer your question about the linkage. It's pretty simple: Get the required GPA and MCAT for linkage, you have a guaranteed spot at Drexel COM. If you don't hit the benchmarks, no spot at Drexel COM.

I am also currently in the program and I wanted to echo much of what was already said. There is not much of any support. We are not complaining that they don't hold weekly sessions with us and hold our hands and highlight what we need to know. No one in the program expects or expected to be coddled. It is just hard to estimate the rigor of the courses at the medical school level until you are there. There were also some changes in some of the syllabi that happened that were not well communicated (issues with certain instructors that are not necessarily specific to this program [as in could happen anywhere but they did...]). When my colleague was trying to point out that you cannot recover, they are referring to the fact that there are several courses where poor performance on one exam can make it near impossible to end the course strong (again not unique to this program but something to make sure you are aware of when courses start). No one is here trying to scare you away or tell you not to enroll. For many people, it turns out to be beneficial as there numbers likely excluded them from consideration to MD program. For others it has done more of a disservice. I am confident there are other programs out there that are disorganized and feel more sink and swim like than supportive. It is far more common than one thinks.

If you do struggle, it is hard to get support, as there is very little to find. It is largely how the post bacc programs that are based on medical school courses at Drexel are run. The IMS program also had many students leave after the fall, and they also take courses alongside us that are based on the medical school curriculum, many of them with much higher base stats (incoming GPA/MCAT) then students in the DPMS program so you may assume they would do better. Your grades are largely based on a handful of exams, with one exam carrying a disproportionate weight of your total average, and face time with instructors is hard to come by. It is also near impossible to review past exams, but this is likely not something exclusive to this program, but a larger medical school policy. The medical school courses are streams of the actual classes. The faculty that teach the courses also have several responsibilities that they must juggle, far more than they had at my different undergraduate institutions. They are medical school faculty, many of them are phenomenal lecturers, but med student teachers first and foremost. Their time is valuable and very limited. DPMS is part of the other post bac system at Drexel. the general organization leaves much to be desired across many of the programs. If you don't believe me look up their SDN forums...

If you do get in and enroll, do the best you can and hope for the best, that is really all you can do.

Do I regret coming here, no - but it is still a gamble I decided to take. I bet on myself as we all are doing here on SDN. My GPA was low so I was going to take classes regardless. Attrition this year has been higher than usual. Just know this is not a post bac program (or the IMS program!) where it is common to end the year with a very high GPA. Again, not saying it is not possible. There are a handful of students that I believe are 3.7 + but over a 1/3 of our program has already knows they will not make it (I am being conservative). The medical school admission committee decides who to accept into the program, and are likely staffed by faculty that are involved with the general medical school admissions. They are putting medical school seats up, it only makes sense that they decide who they may offer them to. Hopefully, this year has been a learning experience for them and will result in improvements for you guys.

If you feel that you have a story to tell that can explain your background and why you believe you may be disadvantaged - apply. If you are not sure - apply. If you are - apply. Let the admission committee decide if you should be a member of the next incoming class, then decide for yourself AFTER you get in if it is what you want to do. You can be of any group (racially/ethnically/combination of them) and from anywhere and still be disadvantaged, it is not my place or anyone else's to tell you otherwise. I understand that you may not want to spend the money or the time preparing for and sending an application that will not result in anything, but you should have enough of an idea if you may have a chance or not - especially if you went to an info session and got the fee waiver. If you are so uncertain that you do not apply, you have decided for yourself that the program is not for you.

If you have a high GPA and a low MCAT, please re-evaluate whether you need a post bac (any post bac not just DPMS)... A MCAT class (or another one if you already took one) and a few months off where you study full time will yield more for your application than more classes of (potentially) great grades and save you months of stress in the process. More good grades does not address the fact that you have shown yourself to be a weak test taker. Address your weaknesses, but that is my humble opinion.

If you are wondering, everyone who is currently in the program who has posted are not bitter people who were not able to make contract. I will not say any names but I know for a fact that some people who will matriculate posted here. You can do well and not be happy. No one is bitter to be frank, it just seems that some of you may not believe it (which at the end of the day is not our problem...). Some students had challenges in their own lives that pulled them in different directions. Life happens, school happens, bad things happen to good people. Some were overwhelmed academically and could not find any support, you cannot make a blanket judgment for why someone does not succeed - that's the whole basis of this program existing in the first place.

I kind of typed everything all at once so sorry if its all over the place. Good luck to everyone else that is applying. Do the best you can in any program that accepts you that you choose to enroll and hope for the best. Even the worst program out there can potentially help you get where you want to be. We just don't want anyone to enroll and be surprised - that is all. We want everyone who gets into make it to DUCOM.

TL;DR this program is very hard, everyone does not make it but some will. Wait until you actually get in to decide if you are coming... and Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
I am also currently in the program and I wanted to echo much of what was already said. There is not much of any support. We are not complaining that they don't hold weekly sessions with us and hold our hands and highlight what we need to know. No one in the program expects or expected to be coddled. It is just hard to estimate the rigor of the courses at the medical school level until you are there. There were also some changes in some of the syllabi that happened that were not well communicated (issues with certain instructors that are not necessarily specific to this program [as in could happen anywhere but they did...]). When my colleague was trying to point out that you cannot recover, they are referring to the fact that there are several courses where poor performance on one exam can make it near impossible to end the course strong (again not unique to this program but something to make sure you are aware of when courses start). No one is here trying to scare you away or tell you not to enroll. For many people, it turns out to be beneficial as there numbers likely excluded them from consideration to MD program. For others it has done more of a disservice. I am confident there are other programs out there that are disorganized and feel more sink and swim like than supportive. It is far more common than one thinks.

If you do struggle, it is hard to get support, as there is very little to find. It is largely how the post bacc programs that are based on medical school courses at Drexel are run. The IMS program also had many students leave after the fall, and they also take courses alongside us that are based on the medical school curriculum, many of them with much higher base stats (incoming GPA/MCAT) then students in the DPMS program so you may assume they would do better. Your grades are largely based on a handful of exams, with one exam carrying a disproportionate weight of your total average, and face time with instructors is hard to come by. It is also near impossible to review past exams, but this is likely not something exclusive to this program, but a larger medical school policy. The medical school courses are streams of the actual classes. The faculty that teach the courses also have several responsibilities that they must juggle, far more than they had at my different undergraduate institutions. They are medical school faculty, many of them are phenomenal lecturers, but med student teachers first and foremost. Their time is valuable and very limited. DPMS is part of the other post bac system at Drexel. the general organization leaves much to be desired across many of the programs. If you don't believe me look up their SDN forums...

If you do get in and enroll, do the best you can and hope for the best, that is really all you can do.

Do I regret coming here, no - but it is still a gamble I decided to take. I bet on myself as we all are doing here on SDN. My GPA was low so I was going to take classes regardless. Attrition this year has been higher than usual. Just know this is not a post bac program (or the IMS program!) where it is common to end the year with a very high GPA. Again, not saying it is not possible. There are a handful of students that I believe are 3.7 + but over a 1/3 of our program has already knows they will not make it (I am being conservative). The medical school admission committee decides who to accept into the program, and are likely staffed by faculty that are involved with the general medical school admissions. They are putting medical school seats up, it only makes sense that they decide who they may offer them to. Hopefully, this year has been a learning experience for them and will result in improvements for you guys.

If you feel that you have a story to tell that can explain your background and why you believe you may be disadvantaged - apply. If you are not sure - apply. If you are - apply. Let the admission committee decide if you should be a member of the next incoming class, then decide for yourself AFTER you get in if it is what you want to do. You can be of any group and from anywhere and still be disadvantaged, it is not my place or anyone else's to tell you otherwise. I understand that you may not want to spend the money or the time preparing for and sending an application that will not result in anything, but you should have enough of an idea if you may have a chance or not - especially if you went to an info session and got the fee waiver. If you are so uncertain that you do not apply, you have decided for yourself that the program is not for you.

If you have a high GPA and a low MCAT, please re-evaluate whether you need a post bac (any post bac not just DPMS)... A MCAT class (or another one if you already took one) and a few months off where you study full time will yield more for your application than more classes of (potentially) great grades and save you months of stress in the process. More good grades does not address the fact that you have shown yourself to be a weak test taker. Address your weaknesses, but that is my humble opinion.

If you are wondering, everyone who is currently in the program who has posted are not bitter people who were not able to make contract. I will not say any names but I know for a fact that some people who will matriculate posted here. You can do well and not be happy. No one is bitter to be frank, it just seems that some of you may not believe it (which at the end of the day is not our problem...). Some students had challenges in their own lives that pulled them in different directions. Life happens, school happens, bad things happen to good people. Some were overwhelmed academically and could not find any support, you cannot make a blanket judgment for why someone does not succeed - that's the whole basis of this program existing in the first place.

I kind of typed everything all at once so sorry if its all over the place. Good luck to everyone else that is applying. Do the best you can in any program that accepts you that you choose to enroll and hope for the best. Even the worst program out there can potentially help you get where you want to be. We just don't want anyone to enroll and be surprised - that is all. We want everyone who gets into make it to DUCOM.

TL;DR this program is very hard, everyone does not make it but some will. Wait until you actually get in to decide if you are coming... and Good Luck!

Thank you so much for this. I read every word and it put a lot of things in perspective for me. I hope you are succeeding and that you matriculate at the end of the year. Good luck to you too!

Couldn't many of the people (with some of the stats I've seen) applying to this just apply to a DO school? Maybe that was already covered.

If you feel that you have a story to tell that can explain your background and why you believe you may be disadvantaged - apply. If you are not sure - apply. If you are - apply. Let the admission committee decide if you should be a member of the next incoming class, then decide for yourself AFTER you get in if it is what you want to do. You can be of any group (racially/ethnically/combination of them) and from anywhere and still be disadvantaged, it is not my place or anyone else's to tell you otherwise. I understand that you may not want to spend the money or the time preparing for and sending an application that will not result in anything, but you should have enough of an idea if you may have a chance or not - especially if you went to an info session and got the fee waiver. If you are so uncertain that you do not apply, you have decided for yourself that the program is not for you.

why didn't some students who were relatively competitive for medical school apply while they were in the program? how would drexel find out? and I'm talking about filling out the AMCAS for MD programs not DO.

Last edited:
Couldn't many of the people (with some of the stats I've seen) applying to this just apply to a DO school? Maybe that was already covered.
They could...and probably did for the most part. DO isn't what it used to be. It's nearly just as competitive as MD at this point.

why didn't some students who were relatively competitive for medical school apply while they were in the program? how would drexel find out? and I'm talking about filling out the AMCAS for MD programs not DO.
You cannot fill out AMCAS for other medical schools because your AMCAS will get locked to Drexel (early assurance application). DO is another story, you can apply technically since it is not AMCAS, but I can't comment on whether anyone in the program has thought about it, and the conclusions they came to.

From what I can gather, they expect a commitment to enroll should you meet contract as you have a seat that was reserved for you. They have the right at any point in the year to remove your spot should they feel that you are being disingenuous with your efforts to matriculate to DUCOM the following school year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You cannot fill out AMCAS for other medical schools because your AMCAS will get locked to Drexel (early assurance application). DO is another story, you can apply technically since it is not AMCAS, but I can't comment on whether anyone in the program has thought about it, and the conclusions they came to.

From what I can gather, they expect a commitment to enroll should you meet contract as you have a seat that was reserved for you. They have the right at any point in the year to remove your spot should they feel that you are being disingenuous with your efforts to matriculate to DUCOM the following school year.

I think it's worth the gamble. They won't know that you have applied to other schools. Maybe this program is different but in other early assurance programs they don't tell you to fill out an AMCAS till the spring and they give you special permission to add the school because the deadline for submitting the AMCAS application during the regular cycle has passed, which means they wouldn't know. All you have to do is add Drexel when they give you special permission. It's called a special programs AMCAS...something along those lines. People in other similar programs have done it before and have been fine especially if you are discrete about it (meaning tell no one). I know someone that got into the OHIO MEDPATH program and the MSU CHM Able program. OSU was their first choice so they went to the medpath program, but they never declined the MSU Able program (an early assurance program where you do not have to retake the MCAT, you just have take postbacc classes and maintain a 3.0 GPA), they just told MSU they had to defer for one year. Each program is one year. When the person went to the OSU program they unfortunately fell short with the MCAT and you can only take it once. Do you know what they did? They called up MSU and reminded them that they would be attending in the Fall. Luckily for them, the MSU program guarantees a spot in their medical school, they don't have to take the mcat again and they only have to do a one year post bacc and maintain a 3.0. They were working smart....very smart. He/She is a 2nd year med student now. Who cares about what Drexel thinks....this is your life and they won't be holding your hand if you don't make contract. I would never put all my eggs in one basket even if I were to enroll in an "assurance" program. If anyone does this program and their MCAT is competitive for DO or MD...I'd go by saying 500+ you should apply to other schools (all the DO programs....and low tier MD Howard, meharry, morehouse, cooper, wright state, rush, chicago med, loyola, the new med schools in michigan, their state school, any new med school in general lol just to give examples) at the same time. Never put all of your eggs in one basket. It's bad business. Don't allow Drexel to screw you over. I say this because I am tired of seeing minority/disadvantaged students getting screwed over bc of bad advice...when I know of "other" students who do the exact same thing. You don't win by following the rules all of the time.

Last edited:
I really appreciate all the advice given on this page about the program but recently I got an interview from NOVA and im considering them over drexel given the circumstances of current students. What would you guys do if you were granted acceptance to both programs?

I really appreciate all the advice given on this page about the program but recently I got an interview from NOVA and im considering them over drexel given the circumstances of current students. What would you guys do if you were granted acceptance to both programs?

If I were you I would ask about the attrition rates and rate of matriculation into the respective medical programs after the masters is completed at the interview and compare the two. Given what we have read, I'd prob go to NOVA. It seems like when you are accepted, you do not have to retake the MCAT so you can just focus on killing it in your classes.

Last edited:
I think it's worth the gamble. They won't know that you have applied to other schools. Maybe this program is different but in other early assurance programs they don't tell you to fill out an AMCAS till the spring and they give you special permission to add the school because the deadline for submitting the AMCAS application during the regular cycle has passed, which means they wouldn't know. All you have to do is add Drexel when they give you special permission. It's called a special programs AMCAS...something along those lines. People in other similar programs have done it before and have been fine especially if you are discrete about it (meaning tell no one). I know someone that got into the OHIO MEDPATH program and the MSU CHM Able program. OSU was their first choice so they went to the medpath program, but they never declined the MSU Able program (an early assurance program where you do not have to retake the MCAT, you just have take postbacc classes and maintain a 3.0 GPA), they just told MSU they had to defer for one year. Each program is one year. When the person went to the OSU program they unfortunately fell short with the MCAT and you can only take it once. Do you know what they did? They called up MSU and reminded them that they would be attending in the Fall. Luckily for them, the MSU program guarantees a spot in their medical school, they don't have to take the mcat again and they only have to do a one year post bacc and maintain a 3.0. They were working smart....very smart. He/She is a 2nd year med student now. Who cares about what Drexel thinks....this is your life and they won't be holding your hand if you don't make contract. I would never put all my eggs in one basket even if I were to enroll in an "assurance" program. If anyone does this program and their MCAT is competitive for DO or MD...I'd go by saying 500+ you should apply to other schools (all the DO programs....and low tier MD Howard, meharry, morehouse, cooper, wright state, rush, chicago med, loyola, the new med schools in michigan, their state school, any new med school in general lol just to give examples) at the same time. Never put all of your eggs in one basket. It's bad business. Don't allow Drexel to screw you over. I say this because I am tired of seeing minority/disadvantaged students getting screwed over bc of bad advice...when I know of "other" students who do the exact same thing. You don't win by following the rules all of the time.

We had our AMCAS applications due in December, I believe. I think your DPMS contract can be voided if you are caught applying to other schools and they may be notified if you try to. We are locked out from applying to schools on AMCAS for that cycle as long as we choose that we are in an Early Assurance program.

We had our AMCAS applications due in December, I believe. I think your DPMS contract can be voided if you are caught applying to other schools and they may be notified if you try to. We are locked out from applying to schools on AMCAS for that cycle as long as we choose that we are in an Early Assurance program.
Wow well that's inconvenient...good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Good luck to you all! If you have any questions, I'm in Track 2 and I'd be happy to respond to PMs etc. I don't really frequent sdn, but I'll try my best so anxiety is kept to a minimum lol.

I called today to ask when I would hear back and they told me that the deadline was extended until April 29th. Is that a good thing for the current applicants or a bad thing?

Does anyone else not have access to the portal? I was told that DPMS applicants don't receive portal logins.

If our letter writers want to submit electronically, where do they send the letters to? Like is there a specific email they can send it directly to? I was going to use inter folio but then I saw that you have to pay to use that service.

Hey guys, I have a silly question. I have to send my transcripts electronically but they do not allow me to input the entire DPMS address I posted below because it's super long. Did any of you all have this problem and how did you go about it? I've called the DPMS office a million times but it's a hit or miss with them picking up and I don't want to waste anymore time trying to get in touch with them. I don't want my transcript to end up getting lost and not submitted. Thanks in advance.

Division of Pre-medical and Pre-health Programs
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and Professional Studies
245 North 15th Street, Mail Stop 344
New College Building, Room 4104
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Hey guys, I have a silly question. I have to send my transcripts electronically but they do not allow me to input the entire DPMS address I posted below because it's super long. Did any of you all have this problem and how did you go about it? I've called the DPMS office a million times but it's a hit or miss with them picking up and I don't want to waste anymore time trying to get in touch with them. I don't want my transcript to end up getting lost and not submitted. Thanks in advance.

Philadelphia, PA 19102

I had the same issue. This is what I requested:

SCHOOL OF BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES
DREXEL UNIVERSITY
245 N. 15TH ST., MAIL STOP 344
NEW COLLEGE BLDG., ROOM 4104
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19102

I had the same issue. This is what I requested:

SCHOOL OF BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES
DREXEL UNIVERSITY
245 N. 15TH ST., MAIL STOP 344
NEW COLLEGE BLDG., ROOM 4104
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19102

Thanks for replying me. I tried that too but it was still too much. It only allows a total of 4 lines and a limited amount of characters for each one. Basically I have to omit something, but I don't know what is safest to get rid of. I took out the "new college building" part but that makes me feel like it's not going to arrive at its right final destination once it actually gets to the campus. Right now it looks exactly like this (the cutoffs appear exactly as is):

Graduate School of Biomedical Sci
Drexel University School of Medi
245 N. 15th ST., Mail Stop 344
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Sorry this is really silly and annoying but as I said, calling the office has been unhelpful so I'm hoping one of you could offer some assistance. What would be safest to omit?

Thanks for replying me. I tried that too but it was still too much. It only allows a total of 4 lines and a limited amount of characters for each one. Basically I have to omit something, but I don't know what is safest to get rid of. I took out the "new college building" part but that makes me feel like it's not going to arrive at its right final destination once it actually gets to the campus. Right now it looks exactly like this (the cutoffs appear exactly as is):

Graduate School of Biomedical Sci
Drexel University School of Medi
245 N. 15th ST., Mail Stop 344
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Sorry this is really silly and annoying but as I said, calling the office has been unhelpful so I'm hoping one of you could offer some assistance. What would be safest to omit?

I personally wouldn't omit the room number.

I think the safest thing to omit would be the Drexel University School of Medicine portion. When I submitted to another program, I omitted the "Graduate School" portion thinking that if I noted that it was going to the med school I would be fine. It ended up going into a general pile and no one knew where my transcript was for weeks :/.

If you include the actual physical address (245 N. 15.......) and the room number, I can almost guarantee you should be fine. You really need to include "Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences", though, to avoid having the actual medical school receiving it and not passing it on. I think that's a lot more pertinent than your second line.

Philadelphia, PA 19102

Hahahaha omg I had the same exact issue! I condensed down to Grad school of biomed & prof studies

Heyyy people. I'm another track 2 currently in the program. If you have any questions that haven't already been answered, feel free to PM me! And good luck to everyone! :)

Just (finally) submitted all my supporting materials and application. Does anyone know how long until we expect to hear back after they have processed everything?

The doctor I shadowed the absolute most (who wrote me an amazing rec letter) went to Nova. I wouldn't take the gamble if I were you and I would just go to nova if I was accepted to both!

He was absolutely amazing. Met his wife there, who is an optometrist. He also raved on about being able to go to the beach when you want a break lol.

Either way, you'd be a doctor treating patients.

The doctor I shadowed the absolute most (who wrote me an amazing rec letter) went to Nova. I wouldn't take the gamble if I were you and I would just go to nova if I was accepted to both!

He was absolutely amazing. Met his wife there, who is an optometrist. He also raved on about being able to go to the beach when you want a break lol.

Either way, you'd be a doctor treating patients.
Ok heres one last question I now have an interview at GEMS (georgetown), NOVA and lets say I do get Drexel
If you were accepted to all what would be your order?

Georgetown > NOVA > Drexel .... Ask the students a lot questions at the interview!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Isn't Georgetown the only one without a guarantee to medical school? (provided you complete the requirements at Drexel of course)

Nova > Drexel > GEMS in my opinion

Isn't Georgetown the only one without a guarantee to medical school? (provided you complete the requirements at Drexel of course)

Nova > Drexel > GEMS in my opinion

I would say Nova > DPMS > GEMS as well. Last year I heard they didn't truly guarantee acceptances to their students.

I would say Nova > DPMS > GEMS as well. Last year I heard they didn't truly guarantee acceptances to their students.

Do you mean that to say that even those who did well in GEMS did not get into Georgetown Med? I'm asking because I am considering this program as well