Drexel IMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the deadline for this program up? According to the page applications are still going on but it seems like it'd be full. Anyway, what's the length of this program?

Members don't see this ad.

On the ACMAS application, should I put that the transcript was required? How do students send transcripts of fall grades of their SMP to medical schools? Do they send them to AMCAS or to the schools?

Is the deadline for this program up? According to the page applications are still going on but it seems like it'd be full. Anyway, what's the length of this program?
I applied in June 2012 and got in like 3 weeks later to start in aug. It's definitely still possible to get in even at this late date.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the ACMAS application, should I put that the transcript was required? How do students send transcripts of fall grades of their SMP to medical schools? Do they send them to AMCAS or to the schools?
I believe you would send them as updates directly to the schools. That's what I have done this year with my MMS grades. But, obviously that only works with schools that allow updates.

anyone know the total estimated cost of attendance: not just the tuition and fees.

They also require you to buy all the textbooks for classes. I bought a grand total of 0 in IMS. It could be possible that you truly, actually, really do need an iPad, but seeing as I finish my M1 year at DUCOM tomorrow, I assure you there was never one moment where an iPad was required. There's a chance that changes next year, but I'd call it unlikely. Even taking electronic attendance for mandatory classes could be done with a regular laptop.

The iPad would be nice to have to bring to classes and lab, but you don't need to have one. I'd at least hold off on buying one.

What's the length of this program?

August - May, one year with the option to extend to two (MMS) if you don't get into med school.

They also require you to buy all the textbooks for classes. I bought a grand total of 0 in IMS. It could be possible that you truly, actually, really do need an iPad, but seeing as I finish my M1 year at DUCOM tomorrow, I assure you there was never one moment where an iPad was required. There's a chance that changes next year, but I'd call it unlikely. Even taking electronic attendance for mandatory classes could be done with a regular laptop.

The iPad would be nice to have to bring to classes and lab, but you don't need to have one. I'd at least hold off on buying one.

August - May, one year with the option to extend to two (MMS) if you don't get into med school.
How did you get away with not buying the textbooks? Just by using notes?

How did you get away with not buying the textbooks? Just by using notes?

You only need 1 book for classes, the one for Med and Society, which I borrowed from an MMS friend (library probably has it, and if not, share with a friend). The other classes test entirely from lectures or notes, not books. I studied from lecture notes 99% of the time (because it was faster), and then, for another pass, I'd watch the lectures at 2.0x speed. In the last half of IMS, I didn't watch video lectures at all. Books are entirely supplemental.

Memorizing lecture notes (and understanding them) and doing all practice questions (and understanding them) is good enough to do very well in IMS. There are certain points that are high yield and others that are low yield, but with time (or asking tutors frequently), you'll figure out which is which and increase your study efficiency. A lot of people like BRS Physio, but I've never opened it once.

Same advice goes for anyone starting new classes: don't buy **** before you know you need them.

Reactions: 1 user
hello~

I just finished my MMS year and did IMS. If you have any questions, PM me. Also, I'm moving out in a week and I'm selling EVERYTHING for VERY CHEAP. So, if you've already been accepted and are planning to attend the Sacramento campus, let me know. PM me.

Did you get into Drexel?!

I heard from a person who went to Sac that the support people get at Sac IMS isn't enough, and they get their interviews after the cohort from Philadelphia. And a representative of UCD wasn't convinced about the streamed classes, and there isn't a lot of history of the success of the Sac students. And the second year is 20k. It'd be a useless MS, but you do research with doctors and residents, I think. How much camaraderie is there when most students don't even attend classes? The shadowing program they have is very neat at Sac, and if you meet all of the requirements, getting into Drexel without a gap year would be so awesome, since it is a very rigorous medical school, and since you've already taken the classes, it'll help you do better. Why not do Philly IMS or RF BMS?

I saw this on another thread and I'd like to get opinions from those who completed the Sac program. Getting interviews after everyone else and the lack of support worries me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw this on another thread and I'd like to get opinions from those who completed the Sac program. Getting interviews after everyone else and the lack of support worries me.
I'm a recent sac grad. I can tell you that in terms of class work and lectures (ie streaming), Philly and Sac are identical. Philly students are at a different campus than the med students, so the IMS/MMS Philly students watch the lectures streamed as well. Honestly, most of the med students seem to watch them online instead of going to class.
We've been assured that Sac and Philly students are looked at identically by the adcom.
Without hesitation, I can say the people in my class were great. It's amazing to have people that truly understand and can relate to what you're going through. The students are not competitive among themselves; it was more a Sac v Philly thing in terms if mean grades (all in good fun though ;) )
I'm currently wait listed at DUCOM, hoping to get pulled off soon. PM me if you have any more specific questions. I'll try to help.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I was just curious, what type of support are you looking for? They aren't going to hold your hands in a circle and sing a song or anything, but I felt there was more than enough support in terms of getting into medical school. There are plenty of ways to meet people. I met with President Fry, Vice Provost of academic affairs and Chief physician at Kaiser during my time in the program - did they help with my admissions? Probably not, but you never know who they talk to. Just don't be overbearing or annoying about it. You are also assigned an adviser who you can talk to any time, and most likely they'll know you very well and write you a much better letter of recommendation because you'll see them all the time.

One thing I liked about Sacramento was that I could just stop by and say hi and talk to Dr. Tamse and Dr. G whenever I wanted to. I'm not sure where the advisers are in the Philly IMS, maybe loltopsy could provide you with some information with that. But Dr. G and Dr. Tamse are basically a few doors down from where you have your mandatory sessions (only time you'll show up anyways!). And because they knew me well, they *probably* (I didn't snoop or anything!) wrote me a good letter of recommendation. At least they could better attest to my character than someone I'd meet once or twice a semester.

In terms of academic support? This is med school, you have to learn to find your own sources. Even then, they already give you all the notes you need to get perfect scores if you memorize every single line and caption.

At this level you should be expected to use resource materials and internet searches to find anything you don't know. If you really can't find something with a quick google search, then you can email the professor - and all of them are more than willing to reply if you are asking something thoughtful.

As for getting an interview, I had a guaranteed one and I was able to pick my date in October - and I ended up interviewing in December. Though like everyone else, not just post-bacc students, I had to wait for the news until about April.

As for people complaining about webcasts, I don't understand why. Not too many people go to class in med school. On days that I have to be on campus and I go to class instead of playing ping pong, there are probably 20-30 students out of 200 if it isn't a mandatory class. I'm sure there are plenty of examples from other med schools that don't have people showing up to class either.

Last edited:
I was just curious, what type of support are you looking for? They aren't going to hold your hands in a circle and sing a song or anything, but I felt there was more than enough support in terms of getting into medical school. There are plenty of ways to meet people. I met with President Fry, Vice Provost of academic affairs and Chief physician at Kaiser during my time in the program - did they help with my admissions? Probably not, but you never know who they talk to. Just don't be overbearing or annoying about it. You are also assigned an adviser who you can talk to any time, and most likely they'll know you very well and write you a much better letter of recommendation because you'll see them all the time.

One thing I liked about Sacramento was that I could just stop by and say hi and talk to Dr. Tamse and Dr. G whenever I wanted to. I'm not sure where the advisers are in the Philly IMS, maybe loltopsy could provide you with some information with that. But Dr. G and Dr. Tamse are basically a few doors down from where you have your mandatory sessions (only time you'll show up anyways!). And because they knew me well, they *probably* wrote me a good letter of recommendation. At least they could better attest to my character than someone I'd meet once or twice a semester.

In terms of academic support? This is med school, you have to learn to find your own sources. Even then, they already give you all the notes you need to get perfect scores if you memorize every single line and caption.

At this level you should be expected to use resource materials and internet searches to find anything you don't know. If you really can't find something with a quick google search, then you can email the professor - and all of them are more than willing to reply if you are asking something thoughtful.

As for getting an interview, I had a guaranteed one and I was able to pick my date in October - and I ended up interviewing in December. Though like everyone else, not just post-bacc students, I had to wait for the news until about April.

As for people complaining about webcasts, I don't understand why. Not too many people go to class in med school. On days that I have to be on campus and I go to class instead of playing ping pong, there are probably 20-30 students out of 200 if it isn't a mandatory class. I'm sure there are plenty of examples from other med schools that don't have people showing up to class either.

+1

Philly advisors were mostly in the same building or next door to where you take classes. Some where a 15 minute free bus ride away at Queen Lane. I don't know about other advisors, but mine was great. She was very nice and wrote me a nice letter.

Also, this entire past year, I have shown up to exactly 0 non-mandatory lectures. People who show up to most of them are usually those who need a rigid schedule to adhere to. I like doing what I want when I want, so I'd only watch video lectures if I needed to.

JW, what was everyone's GPA in the program? A few adcoms said you need a 3.5 or more at an SMP for it to be impressive, i.e. worthwhile over a year of employment as a scribe or whatever.

Is there a FB page for this yet? I'm starting to look for apartments and would prefer IMS students as roommates!

there is a fb page, i got the invite via email today

Hi! 90% sure ill be joining the Drexel IMS program this fall (philadelphia). Anyone start a Facebook yet? Or want to sell me their textbooks?

Hey all! I was accepted into and will be attending Drexel's IMS program in the fall. Please let me know if there is/anyone starts a facebook group. I would be happy to get to know all incoming IMSers!

Hey guys, recently admitted into the IMS program in Philly. Anyone know how to go about adding that info into the AMCAS application? Can I just list that I am attending without having to list the courses just yet? I figure that will be better sorted out after the orientation which is in August.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Or if you're in the same boat as me, let me know

Hey guys, recently admitted into the IMS program in Philly. Anyone know how to go about adding that info into the AMCAS application? Can I just list that I am attending without having to list the courses just yet? I figure that will be better sorted out after the orientation which is in August.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Or if you're in the same boat as me, let me know

I listed all the courses and made them "in progress" after reading some advice to do that on the forum. I think it looks better that way. Then you just send transcripts in the spring. If you want the guaranteed interview you have to take everything anyway.

I listed all the courses and made them "in progress" after reading some advice to do that on the forum. I think it looks better that way. Then you just send transcripts in the spring. If you want the guaranteed interview you have to take everything anyway.

Alright, sounds good...thanks!

I'm curious what other people did, too. But I guess it's too late for me to change it anyway.

Did you list the courses as graduate or postbacc? I called drexel's office today and they said the program should be listed as graduate, but on our banner account it says both postbacc certificate and graduate lol. I wonder if that makes a difference.

Did you list the courses as graduate or postbacc? I called drexel's office today and they said the program should be listed as graduate, but on our banner account it says both postbacc certificate and graduate lol. I wonder if that makes a difference.
Oh gad...I don't know and I can't figure out how I can find out. Welp!

They are graduate level courses.
Also, be careful listing the courses preemptively since you won't know for sure whether you're taking the full course load or not. Everyone thinks they will take the optional classes, but only about half the students actually do.

Also, be careful listing the courses preemptively since you won't know for sure whether you're taking the full course load or not. Everyone thinks they will take the optional classes, but only about half the students actually do.

Why's that? Is it because they want to focus on the other classes to get As, and they're hard?

Why's that? Is it because they want to focus on the other classes to get As, and they're hard?
Basically yes. The 2 optional classes don't start until about October. By then, some students have decided they're better off sticking to the required courses and taking the optional ones during MMS year.

If your doing the sacramento ims, msg me I am set up for the fall and just moved to sacramento.

If your doing the sacramento ims, msg me I am set up for the fall and just moved to sacramento.
I'm doing sac IMS unless I'm miraculously pulled off the wait list for temple acms. I'm going to have to find an apartment very, very quickly. In August. Oh, boy.

Right, but since AMCAS doesn't correct/verify any courses you list as current/future, it won't matter as much. even someone from aamc told me that applicants are not bound to the courses they list as future, as they are subject to change. and thanks, I put them down as graduate!

Right, but since AMCAS doesn't correct/verify any courses you list as current/future, it won't matter as much. even someone from aamc told me that applicants are not bound to the courses they list as future, as they are subject to change. and thanks, I put them down as graduate!
Agreed. I was looking at it more from an adcom perspective. Does it look bad if a student says they'll be taking a certain course load and then their transcript shows they didn't take all the classes they initially said? I honestly don't know the answer to that question, it was just something I thought about before submitting my apps.

Agreed. I was looking at it more from an adcom perspective. Does it look bad if a student says they'll be taking a certain course load and then their transcript shows they didn't take all the classes they initially said? I honestly don't know the answer to that question, it was just something I thought about before submitting my apps.

True, you're right - it might look odd to med schools if the transcript doesn't reflect them later. I listed the optional courses because they're required to participate in the guaranteed interview program. Therefore, I am most likely going to take them anyways.

Hi everyone! Just wanted to reach out and say that I'll be doing the Philly Drexel IMS Program this August! Excited to meet everyone. Just to clarify, the two optional classes are both taken fall semester...right? Just deciding for AMCAS purposes.

Hi everyone! Just wanted to reach out and say that I'll be doing the Philly Drexel IMS Program this August! Excited to meet everyone. Just to clarify, the two optional classes are both taken fall semester...right? Just deciding for AMCAS purposes.
Yes. They technically span both semesters, but will appear on your transcript as fall semester courses.

"...students must be prepared to meet the initial financial needs for the first semester (tuition and living expenses) out of available funds until potential loans are processed" - from the website

I'm more worried about financing this program than doing well in it. I have no "available funds" and will need to rely entirely on financial aid. How did any of you former students finance this program? Anyone use financial aid loans entirely? Or private (does this mean private bank loans or does this also include Sallie Mae) + financial aid? I asked someone at the financial aid office about the types of loans available to IMS students and he mentioned graduate plus loans and that gave me some hope; but should I stay away from this program if I have no way to fund it on my own if I had to?

"...students must be prepared to meet the initial financial needs for the first semester (tuition and living expenses) out of available funds until potential loans are processed" - from the website

I'm more worried about financing this program than doing well in it. I have no "available funds" and will need to rely entirely on financial aid. How did any of you former students finance this program? Anyone use financial aid loans entirely? Or private (does this mean private bank loans or does this also include Sallie Mae) + financial aid? I asked someone at the financial aid office about the types of loans available to IMS students and he mentioned graduate plus loans and that gave me some hope; but should I stay away from this program if I have no way to fund it on my own if I had to?
I used full financial aid to do the IMS/MMS program. They were a bit delayed (maybe 2 weeks, if I recall correctly) in processing my aid, but I didn't get assessed any fees or anything for my tuition. I called the financial aid office probably at least once a week from before classes started til my aid went through.
However, I did have to come out of pocket to get started in my apartment and such.

I used full financial aid to do the IMS/MMS program. They were a bit delayed (maybe 2 weeks, if I recall correctly) in processing my aid, but I didn't get assessed any fees or anything for my tuition. I called the financial aid office probably at least once a week from before classes started til my aid went through.
However, I did have to come out of pocket to get started in my apartment and such.
So, the only thing you had to wait for was your refund check? Your tuition/fees were covered, prior to the start of the program, right?

So, the only thing you had to wait for was your refund check? Your tuition/fees were covered, prior to the start of the program, right?
Yes, and I set up a direct deposit so that I didn't have to wait for a check to come in the mail.

Yes, and I set up a direct deposit so that I didn't have to wait for a check to come in the mail.
Awesome, thanks for heads up! Another question - if you plan on living off campus, your refund check will reflect an amount that covers off campus rent? How will the school know much much to dispense each semester?

Awesome, thanks for heads up! Another question - if you plan on living off campus, your refund check will reflect an amount that covers off campus rent? How will the school know much much to dispense each semester?
I lived off campus, and my refund check covered all my living expenses.

Hi all, fellow future IMSer here. Can someone post the link to the Facebook page?

Reactions: 1 users
Just completed IMS in Sac. I had a 3.0cGPA (3.1 s / 2.9 ns) in undergrad, and a 32 MCAT. I got a 3.85 with a full course load, lowest grades being two B+'s. As the load lightened considerably in the springtime, I also aced two online courses (UNECOM biology / BYU psychology) .

I didn't apply to Drexel because I was interested in OMM. I did submit primaries to DO schools in November. My expectations were low, but I figured what the hell? I completed about 4 secondaries, but only updated 2 schools with Fall grades (3.86 at that point). I interviewed at both, one in Feb and one in Apr. Rejected from the first, waitlisted from the other. Given my late application, low undergrad gpa, and only a semester of redemption, I was pleased I got that far.

Today, my GPAs are up by 0.3 (cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.4). MCAT's still a 32. Feelin confident for this cycle. I'll definitely apply to Drexel now, as my preference for DO doesn't outweigh my preference for going to any med school next year.

The point of this story is that it's definitely doable. Sure, my girlfriend felt neglected at times. Sure, I spent half my loans sitting at a coffeeshop for 8 hours a day (in the beginning). But it goes by so quick that if you put your nose to the grindstone you'll blink once or twice and come out a changed applicant.

I'll be here in Sac for the 2014-2015 MMS year so if you have any questions, need someone to check out an apartment, etc. let me know.

Last edited:
I think there's a Philly one, I don't know if there's a Sac one. I would create one, but still not sure I'm attending...

I think there's a Philly one, I don't know if there's a Sac one. I would create one, but still not sure I'm attending...
For 2013-2014, all us Sac IMSers were in the same facebook group as the Phillies. There were of course some posts that were impertinent (e.g. "hey come to xyz bar in philly!!"), but also some really useful ones for both sides.