Drexel IMS Vs. Loyola MAMS (would love to be able to message past matriculates of this program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have looked through almost every post in the past 8 years regarding Drexel IMS and Loyola MAMS; however, there are not many recent reviews of these programs so I am not sure if the information is completely accurate. My current situation is that I have around a 3.1 cgpa and 3.0 sci gpa and a low 30s MCAT. I have already taken a gap year to improve on my gpa (straight A's in all classes for 2 quarters already) and the MCAT so the SMP will be my second gap year.

My first question is of which of these programs (if I do well) will assist me more to my goal with my statistics. I know that some SMPs are for those with borderline gpas to get them past the curve, or low MCATs. There are other SMPs that are meant to help low gpa candidates if everything else in their application is solid.

Second would you guys recommend that I apply this cycle or next cycle? Ideally I would want to go to med school in 2015, but due to my circumstances it may not be ideal even if I apply very broadly to 40+ schools.

Third for this summer I am considering doing one of two things: either take more summer courses to raise my gpa even further (would only be about 8 semester units) or retake my MCAT. I keep reading posts that mention to work on what you are weakest in, but if I take summer courses at most I can just raise it to a 3.15 ish whereas I strongly feel I can go up to around a 35 on the MCAT (studying new materials, changing way of studying, have started and have been feeling good).

SO for the last question should I go to Drexel or Loyola. Drexel deposit is due on the 2nd of June and its 500 dollars which will be a huge blow to my bank account if I don't decide by then. I am leaning towards Loyola but I do not want any regrets. Please help me out! Thank you so much before hand.
Bolded are the points that I consider to be strong factors to me.
Drexel - DUCOM

Pros:

· MCAT 27 plus gpa 3.0 gets you guaranteed Drexel interview for 25 spots split between the different programs; however, only about 30-50 people usually qualify in IMS and only about 15 of those will get into DUCOM.
· All classes with med school students so you can be compared directly
· Stay in Cali in norcal (Sacramento)
· Strong relationship with Kaiser Permanente in Sac (helps for residency)
· Oldest SMP program and known by most admissions committee
· Gives detailed notes to learn
· Cost is 27k
· Possible to go into DUCOM to prevent a lag year from happening
· Since my GPA is low (3.1), the direct linkage (assuming I do extremely well) will help me get an interview.
· Only 25 students in Sacramento so will help breed camaraderie even though there is 125 students in the program
· About 70% of everyone who goes through this program will get into a MD/DO
· Good chance to get into DUCOM if stay for a second year and finish the master’s degree (research mostly, not really hard classes)

Cons:
· All classes will be webcasted
· Class of 125 students
· Lower ranked Medical school if I get into DUCOM
· Not a lot of support from staff/hard to build connections
· Do not get Master's in one year (only certificate), if you get over 3.0 in the program then you qualify for the masters degree but you have to take a second year.
· May be difficult to do well, heard it was very rigorous
· If you get a single B- in any class you are disqualified from the guaranteed interview so even though lower gpa requirement, more strict.
· School is not even on a campus but on a floor in a building.

Loyola MAMS:

Pros:

· One year program and you receive your masters
· 55 students
· Chicago is cool, new outlook
· Guaranteed Interview into Stritch school of medicine with a 30 or higher on MCAT and 3.5
· Curriculum is not as rigorous so easier to get high grades in this SMP
· Although it is new, it is one of the most reputable SMP in the country and has a list of schools students have gotten into (including CA schools and top 25 schools)
· 90% of those attending Loyola matriculate to a MD/DO within two years of the program.
· May be a pro or con depending on how you look at it, but the classes are designed specifically for MAMS students and not other students so it shows that this program is designed to help one get into med school
· May be able to get into a overall better medical school (even though my goal is just to get into A medical school)
· VERY supportive faculty that will try their best to update schools and help you get in (includes a committee letter, and strong advisors that help you after the program as well)Post-bacc Advisory committee.
· Chicago has more medical school options than a lot of places and many top tier
· Excellent volunteer opportunities (encouraged by the advisors and will help u set it up)

Cons:
· More expensive 40k a year but fin aid may fix this
· Comes with a possible lag year (strongly advised to apply to med school after completing program, but I will contact advisors to confirm)
· No med school classes, this program is separate from the Stritch medical school so you are just taking upper level graduate science courses that would prepare you well for med school
· Not strong linkage with Stritch school of medicine (maybe 8/55 get in)
· Since I have a low gpa 3.1 and med school average mcat 31, it may reflect poorly if I have to apply elsewhere without direct linkage
· Crazy weather: negative winters

Some schools look poorly on the fact that Drexel does not have live classes. Other schools do not have a preference to either school and a 3.5 or higher in ANY of these programs is what they want to see.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're an alumni, if you could message me that would be great so I can ask a few questions. Thanks!

I heard from a person who went to Sac that the support people get at Sac IMS isn't enough, and they get their interviews after the cohort from Philadelphia. And a representative of UCD wasn't convinced about the streamed classes, and there isn't a lot of history of the success of the Sac students. And the second year is 20k. It'd be a useless MS, but you do research with doctors and residents, I think. How much camaraderie is there when most students don't even attend classes? The shadowing program they have is very neat at Sac, and if you meet all of the requirements, getting into Drexel without a gap year would be so awesome, since it is a very rigorous medical school, and since you've already taken the classes, it'll help you do better. Why not do Philly IMS or RF BMS?

I did not get a chance to apply to RF and I would prefer to stay in sacramento for the IMS program because I am from California. Thank you for your insight Romanjetfighter! You have a lot of valid points !