drexel ims

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eilat87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, so I've recently got accepted into the IMS program and was wondering if it was possible to go through with the program, possibly do well and have that first semester's grades sent out to schools that I'll be applying to this year and maybe be accepted? Basically my question is, does it take a full year for the progress on IMS to help you get into med school or does even a semester help? Has that happened before? another question is if tuition for smps like ims paid on a semester to semester basis or once you are in the program, you have to pay in full for the whole year? Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't actually looked at the IMS curriculum, but some 1 year programs have the bulk of the required courses (the ones useful in "impressing" medical schools) during the first semester. I believe you can apply while still in the program, but you will need to forward your first semester grades to AMCAS/AACOMAS after you receive them.

OT, but when were you notified of your acceptance? Also, if possible, let us know when your app was completed and your stats.

I have had absolutely NO luck in inquiring about the status of my application. I have not been able to reach Dr. Walker (as I'm quite sure she is extremely busy) and apparently she has my application. :confused:

I just finished the IMS year and, while it IS possible to get in during the IMS year, you definitely should not bank on it. You should also NOT bank on getting into Drexel, even if you get the guaranteed interview. A lot of people really expect to get into Drexel if they have great grades in IMS, and it doesn't always happen. The best attitude to go into IMS with is the attitude that you will do very well that year and have a great application the following summer.

That being said: When I applied this year, I looked on previous IMS threads that named specific schools that will wait for mid-year grades. I don't remember them all, but they basically include a number of philly, new jersey and new york schools that know the program. I'll try to find the thread. Also, keep in mind that the schools will probably not receive your first semester grades and the recommendation letter from your assigned IMS advisor until the end of January. AND two of your first semester classes (Nutrition and Immuno) don't end until mid-February, so you won't receive grades for those classes until then. I got just under a 4.0 the first semester and, while I did get an interview from a school that waited for the grades, it was extremely late in the cycle-during their very last week of interviews.

I feel like a lot of people that get in during the year are people who were borderline applicants before, so with good MCATs and maybe 3.3-3.5 GPAs. Then if they do awesome in the program, it can help "bump them up" to a good applicant. I don't have numbers of people who did get in this year, or even estimates, since I'm sure that will be the next question :) This is just my general feeling.

Oh and a little IMS secret that they don't like to reveal. They say a 3.0 in the program (above the average in every med school class) will make you competitive for med school. Later on in the program, we find out that - really- 3.0 looks good for DO schools, but MD schools like to see at least a 3.5. I could write an entire post on how hard you have to work to get a 3.5 and above in the program, but I will save that for another post or another IMSer.

Members don't see this ad :)
@peasant05- thanks for the detailed reply, do you know if the tuition stated on the website is instate or out of state? not sure if SMPs tuition is any different from medical schools where OOSers have to pay more.

I'm about 99% sure that tuition is the same whether you are in state or out of state.

Also, you get billed for half of it in August and the other half in late December/early January.

i heard that ims students if them maintain a certain gpa just automatically matriculate into the med school the following year.... is that true?

i heard that ims students if them maintain a certain gpa just automatically matriculate into the med school the following year.... is that true?

Definitely not. This is the case for the DPMS program which attracts students from underrepresented backgrounds. They have to maintain a 3.0GPA and have a minimum 8PS/7V/8BS/M MCAT score to retain the conditional acceptance they receive upon entering the program.

The only guarantee you get as an IMS students is an interview if you have Bs or better in all classes and a minimum MCAT score (something like a 27 with no subsection lower than an 8, but you'll have to double-check that). That being said, about one-third of this year's class earned the guaranteed interview and as of last week, I had only heard about about eight of those people being accepted.

is the interview for entrance in fall 2010 or fall 2011? or i guess for those in the class now, fall 2009 or fall 2010?

for those who got accepted, how long after your phone interview did you have to wait before they gave you an answer?

lykyamy00: For the class that did IMS during the 2008-2009 school year, the interview was in February 2009 for entrance into the medical school in August 2009 (so for the class of 2013). For those who did not apply during the IMS year but fulfilled all the requirements, they will get the guaranteed interview if they apply to Drexel next year (so for class fo 2014). I hope that makes sense.

When I had my phone interview, I had read on SDN that most people heard back in about 2 weeks. I also ended up hearing back exactly 2 weeks later. That's only my experience though, I'm sure that people do hear earlier or later.