Drexel Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by drdoctor
First off, Alexander99, you are a stupid piece of ****. Shakenotstirred, you are completely correct. Why is it so hard for people to accept that for a M.D., prestige doesn't matter. Just being a M.D. is prestige enough. No one cares where you went to medical school because they're ALL good. Drexel is a great school, match list is awesome, and graduates do well. Who cares if it's back up, whatever, I don't even know if it's a back-up for people. It's a medical school, if you're a PA resident, it makes the school even better if you want to stay close to home. I think alot of people are prestige freaks and will learn some day after suffering that good doctors coming from all schools. It's a simple reality, but it's so hard for people to fathom. Prestige does not play a role in this field. Just work hard and ignore people who waste their time looking at arbitrary rankings and think that going to "top 10" or "top 33" will open all their doors. Go f*ck yourself!

These are the people I can avoid by not going to Drexel.

:D

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Alexander99
These are the people I can avoid by not going to Drexel.

:D

Drexel's not as sought after as the Ivy league schools, but that's about it. I think it's wiser to keep those thoughts to yourself even if you strongly believe them. It's better to do that than to put your foot in your mouth again...and again (Reminds me of the UCLA Thread)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by CalBeE
Drexel's not as sought after as the Ivy league schools, but that's about it. I think it's wiser to keep those thoughts to yourself even if you strongly believe them. It's better to do that than to put your foot in your mouth again...and again (Reminds me of the UCLA Thread)

In this situation, I really think the poor kid in high school deserved to get both sides of the story. If he was smart enough to get into that program, I really think he might be selling himself short. In the end, he has to make his own decisions--I don't see the harm in giving opinions from both sides.

All I know is that if I had gone into the BA/MD program at Drexel straight out of high school and I had little knowledge of the whole med school process, I'd most likely regret that decision.

The hostile words don't bother me. I know the person posting the message wouldn't have the nerve to talk to me like that in real life so I find the comedy in the situation. Behind the anonimity of the internet, people get much braver than in real life.

The hostile words don't bother me. I know the person posting the message wouldn't have the nerve to talk to me like that in real life so I find the comedy in the situation. Behind the anonimity of the internet, people get much braver than in real life.

Once again, that logic can be turned around and used on yourself. Relax buddy, Drexel is a fine school, although it must not be nearly as good as the institution you are/are planning to attend (note the sarcasm). In the end Drexel grads will be making the same amount of money as you and will have the same opportunities, so I guess it really doesn't matter.

To the OP: If you want more information on the Villanova-Drexel program, PM me. I am not in it, but lets just say I have insider info. Philadelphia is a fun area, and thats really what it's all about. Life is too short not to have fun.

In this situation, I really think the poor kid in high school deserved to get both sides of the story. If he was smart enough to get into that program, I really think he might be selling himself short. In the end, he has to make his own decisions--I don't see the harm in giving opinions from both sides.

All I know is that if I had gone into the BA/MD program at Drexel straight out of high school and I had little knowledge of the whole med school process, I'd most likely regret that decision.
These are very good points, and I agree with you for the most part. Personally, I think there is very little to be gained and a good deal to be lost from going into a straight-to-medschool program versus applying when you're in college. However, I do think your specific reasons for advising against going to Drexel in particular are not well thought-out.

peace

Personally, I think the fact that lots of students who attend there used the school as a backup and probably aren't too enthusiastic about being there automatically makes me not want to go there (I didn't apply there.)

I remember one guy was interviewing at Drexel and he asked the student interviewer why he chose to go there and his response was a simple, "It's the only place where I got in."

But that still doesn't explain why the school is "not good". It only explains why you personally wouldn't go there. I want to know why the education there is sub-par, which is what is being implied.

I think the best pieces of evidence as to a school's quality would have to be board scores and match lists. Even those don't really tell the whole story, but if Drexel's students are not as qualified or well-prepared as other schools', that is where it would most likely show up. I haven't seen anything yet that points to this being true.

That's because there isn't any evidence that says people will get a subpar education. IN FACT, Drexel has one of the most progressive curriculi in the country, and by far the best technology. The thing it IS missing is name...literally. If you continually change names, it is hard to retain your reputation. When I told my physician I had gotten into Drexel..she replied 'I didn't know Drexel had a medical school.' After I told her it used to be called MCP Hahnemann....she said "AAAAAHHHH good school." I believe in the upcoming years, Drexel will definitely put it's name on the block. The students definitely seem happy there...and for those that have run into a few that arent...with 250 per class there are bound to be folks like that. But really there are folks like that EVERYWHERE....including harvard and jhu..except for different reasons. Good matchlist, good board scores, and an accomodating administration/faculty, great curriculum (one of the best clinical year curriculi in my opinion....with their pathways)....what more do folks want? Boo to all the haters....if you got into Harvard or JHU...good for you, but don't hate...we're all working towards the same goal.

Originally posted by bullhorn
That's because there isn't any evidence that says people will get a subpar education. IN FACT, Drexel has one of the most progressive curriculi in the country, and by far the best technology. The thing it IS missing is name...literally. If you continually change names, it is hard to retain your reputation. When I told my physician I had gotten into Drexel..she replied 'I didn't know Drexel had a medical school.' After I told her it used to be called MCP Hahnemann....she said "AAAAAHHHH good school." I believe in the upcoming years, Drexel will definitely put it's name on the block. The students definitely seem happy there...and for those that have run into a few that arent...with 250 per class there are bound to be folks like that. But really there are folks like that EVERYWHERE....including harvard and jhu..except for different reasons. Good matchlist, good board scores, and an accomodating administration/faculty, great curriculum (one of the best clinical year curriculi in my opinion....with their pathways)....what more do folks want? Boo to all the haters....if you got into Harvard or JHU...good for you, but don't hate...we're all working towards the same goal.

Word. I couldn't have said it better myself. I was very impressed by their technology and curricula, and the students definitely seem happy there. The only thing missing is rank and name recognition, which in the long run don't matter much. We're all gonna be doctors anyway. :D

Let me make an analogy to describe the original poster's dilemma.

Suppose you are an athlete and your contract is up in one year. You have the option of extending the contract for several more years and make a pretty good money or you can play one more year and become a free agent. Let's say you have a great year and get a few more million on a new contract. But suppose you have a bad year or worse get injured then you won't be able to get the kind of money you were offered before. Is that a risk you want to take?

In Drexel you are getting a pretty good med school. You can pass it up and try getting into a better med school but the gains are not that significant where as you risk not getting into med school at all by turning them down

Personally I applied to Drexel as a 'safety' school and didn't know much about it. But I was very happy when I was accepted because that meant that I would definetely not have to go to one of the other 'safety' schools I applied to that I hated when I visited.

Russian - what are other "safety" schools that your'd go to Drexel over?

I already turned down Temple, probably going to do the same with Finch. I am not sure about NYMC, I haven't heard from them yet but that would be a tougher decision. I probably would have picked Drexel over Albany though I was rejected at albany and didn't have that option.
Hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
The process of getting selected to a medical school is a "blackbox," and getting in anywhere is reason enough to be proud. Case in point (necessarily anecdotal): I was accepted to a top tier Ivy, didn't even get an interview at one of my "safety" schools, and ended up going to another "safety" school for personal reasons (spouse's acceptance to a nearby program). Do I feel shafted? No. Do I feel like I've gotten a poor education? No. Am I going to be a doctor? YES! It's been a couple of years since I was a pre-med, but I still remember people being overly concerned about "The Rankings." I too was somewhat caught up in them. But you know what? They don't really matter that much, apart from the fact that pre-meds THINK they matter. Do your work, play the application game, and count yourself among the lucky when you are accepted because there are plenty of folks that could just as easily gotten in (had the chips fallen differently) that will have to reapply. Good luck all!

Willamette

I'm really curious why people take the time to rag on Drexel. Did you get rejected from it or something? Or do you just have a lot of time on your hands at your medical school?

Specialty Program City State
Anesthesiology Univ Hosps Cleveland-OH CLEVELAND OH
Anesthesiology Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr-NC WINSTON-SALEM NC
Anesthesiology Hosp of the Univ of PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Anesthesiology Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD BALTIMORE MD
Anesthesiology Massachusetts Gen Hosp BOSTON MA
Anesthesiology Stanford Univ Progs-CA STANFORD CA
Anesthesiology Stanford Univ Progs-CA STANFORD CA
Anesthesiology Univ Maryland Med Ctr BALTIMORE MD
Anesthesiology UPMC Medical Education Program-PA PITTSBURGH PA
Anesthesiology Baystate Med Ctr-MA SPRINGFIELD MA
Dermatology Cleveland Clinic Fdn-OH CLEVELAND OH
Dermatology Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Dermatology UVM/Fletcher Allen-VT BURLINGTON VT
Dermatology WSU/Detroit Med Ctr-MI DETROIT MI
Emergency Medicine UC San Francisco-Fresno-CA FRESNO CA
Emergency Medicine St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY NEW YORK NY
Emergency Medicine Fort Hood Army Medical Center Fort Hood TX
Emergency Medicine Albert Einstein Med Ctr-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Emergency Medicine Drexel(MCP Hahnemann) U COM-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Emergency Medicine St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY NEW YORK NY
Emergency Medicine Drexel(MCP Hahnemann) U COM-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Emergency Medicine UMDNJ-R W Johnson-Camden CAMDEN NJ
Emergency Medicine Geisinger Health System-PA DANVILLE PA
Emergency Medicine NY Hosp/Med Ctr Queens FLUSHING NY
Emergency Medicine UMDNJ-R W Johnson-Camden CAMDEN NJ
Emergency Medicine Long Island Jewish Med Ctr-NY NEW HYDE PARK NY
Emergency Medicine U Southern California LOS ANGELES CA
Family Medicine Scott Air Force Base Med Cntr Scott AFB IL
Family Medicine Hunterdon Medical Center Flemington NJ
Family Medicine Cedar Rapids Med Ed Fdn-IA CEDAR RAPIDS IA
Family Practice Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA TORRANCE CA
Family Practice Abington Mem Hosp-PA ABINGTON PA
Family Practice Ventura Cnty Med Ctr-CA VENTURA CA
Family Practice Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Family Practice Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr-NC WINSTON-SALEM NC
Family Practice Bryn Mawr Hospital-PA BRYN MAWR PA
Family Practice Ventura Cnty Med Ctr-CA VENTURA CA
Family Practice Hosp of the Univ of PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Family Practice Mtn Area Hlth Ed Cntr-NC ASHEVILLE NC
Family Practice Marshall Univ SOM-WV HUNTINGTON WV
Family Practice Franklin Square Hosp-MD BALTIMORE MD
Family Practice Kaiser Permanente-Orange Co-CA SANTA ANA CA
Family Practice Fairfax Fam Prac Ctr-VA FAIRFAX VA
Family Practice Bayfront Med Ctr-FL ST PETERSBURG FL
Family Practice Kaiser Perm-Woodland Hills-CA WOODLAND HILLS CA
Family Practice Lancaster Gen Hosp-PA LANCASTER PA
Family Practice JFK Medical Center-NJ EDISON NJ
Family Practice Cedar Rapids Med Ed Fdn-IA CEDAR RAPIDS IA
Family Practice Abington Mem Hosp-PA ABINGTON PA
Family Practice U New Mexico SOM ALBUQUERQUE NM
Gen Surgery North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY Great Neck NY
General Surgery UC Davis Med Ctr-Sac-CA SACRAMENTO CA
General Surgery Portsmouth Naval Hospital Portsmouth VA
General Surgery Univ Hosps Cleveland-OH CLEVELAND OH
General Surgery Lehigh Valley Hosp-PA ALLENTOWN PA
General Surgery Drexel(MCP Hahnemann) U COM-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
General Surgery St Vincents Hosp-NY NEW YORK NY
General Surgery U Southern California LOS ANGELES CA
General Surgery Easton Hospital-PA EASTON PA
General Surgery UPMC Medical Education Program-PA PITTSBURGH PA
General Surgery Pinnacle Health Hosps-PA HARRISBURG PA
General Surgery UMDNJ-R W Johnson-Piscataway PISCATAWAY NJ
General Surgery Univ Hosps Cleveland-OH CLEVELAND OH
General Surgery Nassau Univ Med Ctr-NY EAST MEADOW NY
General Surgery Walter Reed Army Medical Center Washington DC
General Surgery Univ of Connecticut FARMINGTON CT
General Surgery UMDNJ-R W Johnson-Camden CAMDEN NJ
General Surgery UC Davis Med Ctr-Sac-CA SACRAMENTO CA
General Surgery Loma Linda University-CA LOMA LINDA CA
General Surgery Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA TORRANCE CA
General Surgery Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY STONY BROOK NY
General Surgery St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY NEW YORK NY
General Surgery Univ of Connecticut FARMINGTON CT
General Surgery Eastern VA Med School-VA NORFOLK VA
General Surgery San Joaquin Gen Hosp-CA FRENCH CAMP CA
Int Med/Womens Health UPMC Medical Education Program-PA PITTSBURGH PA
Internal Med/Social Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY BRONX NY
Internal Medicine Eastern VA Med School-VA NORFOLK VA
Internal Medicine George Washington Univ-DC Washington DC
Internal Medicine Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Internal Medicine CA Pacific Med Center SAN FRANCISCO CA
Internal Medicine Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA TORRANCE CA
Internal Medicine Olive View Med Ctr-CA Sylmar CA
Internal Medicine New England Med Ctr-MA BOSTON MA
Internal Medicine UC Davis Med Ctr-Sac-CA SACRAMENTO CA
Internal Medicine Lenox Hill Hospital-NY NEW YORK NY
Internal Medicine Kaiser Permanente-LA-CA LOS ANGELES CA
Internal Medicine U So Florida COM-Tampa TAMPA FL
Internal Medicine U Southern California LOS ANGELES CA
Internal Medicine New England Med Ctr-MA BOSTON MA
Internal Medicine U Southern California LOS ANGELES CA
Internal Medicine UC Davis Med Ctr-Sac-CA SACRAMENTO CA
Internal Medicine Univ Maryland Med Ctr BALTIMORE MD
Internal Medicine Mayo Graduate SOM-MN ROCHESTER MN
Internal Medicine Johns Hopkins Bayview-MD BALTIMORE MD
Internal Medicine U New Mexico SOM ALBUQUERQUE NM
Internal Medicine Drexel University College of Med Philadelphia PA
Internal Medicine Brown U Int Med Res-RI PROVIDENCE RI
Internal Medicine Cedars-Sinai Med Ctr-CA LOS ANGELES CA
Internal Medicine Univ Maryland Med Ctr BALTIMORE MD
Internal Medicine Johns Hopkins Bayview-MD BALTIMORE MD
Internal Medicine Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY BRONX NY
Internal Medicine Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA TORRANCE CA
Internal Medicine Mt Sinai Med Ctr-Miami-FL MIAMI BEACH FL
Internal Medicine U Colorado SOM-Denver DENVER CO
Internal Medicine Olive View Med Ctr-CA Sylmar CA
Internal Medicine Brown U Int Med Res-RI PROVIDENCE RI
Internal Medicine Eastern VA Med School-VA NORFOLK VA
Internal Medicine UC San Francisco-CA SAN FRANCISCO CA
Internal Medicine UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA SAN DIEGO CA
Internal Medicine B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA BOSTON MA
Internal Medicine-UCLA/WLA VA Greater LA Hlth Sys-CA Los Angeles CA
Medicine - Preliminary UC Davis Med Ctr-Sac-CA SACRAMENTO CA
Medicine-Preliminary U MD-Mercy Med Ctr BALTIMORE MD
Medicine-Preliminary Union Memorial Hosp-MD BALTIMORE MD
Medicine-Preliminary Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Medicine-Preliminary Drexel(MCP Hahnemann) U COM-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Medicine-Preliminary Abington Mem Hosp-PA ABINGTON PA
Medicine-Preliminary Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY BRONX NY
Medicine-Preliminary NYU Downtown Hosp-NY New York NY
Medicine-Preliminary Metrohealth Med Ctr-OH CLEVELAND OH
Medicine-Preliminary Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA NEW ORLEANS LA
Medicine-Preliminary Drexel University College of Med Philadelphia PA
Medicine-Preliminary St Marys Medical Ctr-CA SAN FRANCISCO CA
Medicine-Preliminary UC Irvine Med Ctr-CA ORANGE CA
Medicine-Preliminary Albert Einstein Med Ctr-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Medicine-Preliminary Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Medicine-Preliminary Brown U Int Med Res-RI PROVIDENCE RI
Medicine-Preliminary Mercy Catholic Medical Center Philadelphia PA
Medicine-Preliminary Allegheny Gen Hosp-PA PITTSBURGH PA
Medicine-Preliminary Drexel University College of Med Philadelphia PA
Medicine-Preliminary York Hospital-PA YORK PA
Medicine-Preliminary St Vincents Cath Med Ctr-NY STATEN ISLAND NY
Medicine-Preliminary Albert Einstein Med Ctr-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Medicine-Preliminary Albert Einstein Hospital Philadelphia PA
Medicine-Preliminary Graduate Hospital-PA Philadelphia PA
Medicine-Primary Rhode Island Hosp/Brown U PROVIDENCE RI
Medicine-Primary Rhode Island Hosp/Brown U PROVIDENCE RI
Medicine-Primary Cambridge Hospital/CHA-MA CAMBRIDGE MA
Neurology U Miami Miami FL
Neurology Yale University New Haven CT
Obstetrics & Gynecology Wright Patterson AFB Dayton OH
Obstetrics & Gynecology Tulane University New Orleans LA
Obstetrics-Gynecology Lehigh Valley Hosp-PA ALLENTOWN PA
Obstetrics-Gynecology NYU School Of Medicine NEW YORK NY
Obstetrics-Gynecology Abington Mem Hosp-PA ABINGTON PA
Obstetrics-Gynecology UPMC Medical Education Program-PA PITTSBURGH PA
Obstetrics-Gynecology Lankenau Hospital-PA WYNNEWOOD PA
Obstetrics-Gynecology Lehigh Valley Hosp-PA ALLENTOWN PA
Obstetrics-Gynecology Univ Hosps Cleveland-OH CLEVELAND OH
Obstetrics-Gynecology Sinai Hosp-Baltimore-MD BALTIMORE MD
Obstetrics-Gynecology Abington Mem Hosp-PA ABINGTON PA
Obstetrics-Gynecology Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA PHILADELPHIA PA

Ophthalmology Albert Einstein CoM New York NY
Ophthalmology Case Western Reserve Cleveland OH
Ophthalmology LSU Eye Center New Orleans LA
Ophthalmology Nassau University MC Nassau
Ophthalmology NY Med Cntr Brklyn/Queens Brooklyn NY
Ophthalmology Texas Tech Univ HSC Lubbock TX
Ophthalmology U Tennesse Chatanooga TN
Orthopaedic Surgery Drexel(MCP Hahnemann) U COM-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Orthopaedic Surgery Long Island Jewish Med Ctr-NY NEW HYDE PARK NY
Orthopaedic Surgery Drexel(MCP Hahnemann) U COM-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Orthopaedic Surgery U Utah Affil Hospitals SALT LAKE CITY UT
Orthopaedic Surgery Univ Maryland Med Ctr BALTIMORE MD
Orthopaedic Surgery Allegheny Gen Hosp-PA PITTSBURGH PA
Orthopaedic Surgery SUNY Upstate Medical University SYRACUSE NY
Otolaryngology U Maryland Baltimore MD
Otolaryngology University of Pennsylvania PHILADELPHIA PH
Otolaryngology SUNY- HSC Brooklyn -NY BROOKLYN NY
Otolaryngology Temple Philadelphia PA
Pathology U Southern California LOS ANGELES CA
Pathology Temple Univ Hosp-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Pathology U Southern California LOS ANGELES CA
Pediatrics UC San Francisco-Fresno-CA FRESNO CA
Pediatrics UC San Francisco-Fresno-CA FRESNO CA
Pediatrics Childrens Hosp-Oakland-CA OAKLAND CA
Pediatrics St Christophers Hosp-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Pediatrics Childrens Hosp-Orange-CA ORANGE CA
Pediatrics Univ Hosps Cleveland-OH CLEVELAND OH
Pediatrics UMDNJ-New Jersey Med-Newark NEWARK NJ
Pediatrics UC Irvine Med Ctr-CA ORANGE CA
Pediatrics Childrens Hosp-LA-CA LOS ANGELES CA
Pediatrics Crozer-Chester Med-PA UPLAND PA
Pediatrics U Texas HSC-San Antonio SAN ANTONIO TX
Pediatrics Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD BALTIMORE MD
Pediatrics Childrens Mem Hosp-IL CHICAGO IL
Pediatrics Childrens Hosp-Orange-CA ORANGE CA
Pediatrics Univ California- Irvine Irvine CA
Pediatrics Einstein/Jacobi Med Ctr-NY BRONX NY
Pediatrics TJU/Dupont Childrens-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Pediatrics Hershey/Penn State-PA HERSHEY PA
Pediatrics U Oklahoma COM-OK City-OK OKLAHOMA CITY OK
Pediatrics-Preliminary Childrens Hosp of Philadelphia PHILADELPHIA PA
Psych-Columbia-NYPH-Stamford NYP Hosp-Colum Presby-NY NEW YORK NY
Psychiatry St Vincents Hosp-NY NEW YORK NY
Psychiatry Univ Mass Med School WORCESTER MA
Psychiatry UPMC Medical Education Program-PA PITTSBURGH PA
Psychiatry Hosp of the Univ of PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Psychiatry Univ Hosp Cincinnati-OH CINCINNATI OH
Psychiatry UPMC Medical Education Program-PA PITTSBURGH PA
Psychiatry Univ Hosps Cleveland-OH CLEVELAND OH
Psychiatry Henry Ford Hospital Detroit MI
Psychiatry Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD BALTIMORE MD
Psychiatry U Florida Prog-Shands Hosp GAINESVILLE FL
Psychiatry/Family Practice U Iowa Hosp/Clin-Iowa City IOWA CITY IA
Radiation-Oncology Univ Hosp Cincinnati-OH CINCINNATI OH
Radiol Diag Adv U Florida Prog-Shands Hosp GAINESVILLE FL
Radiology-Diagnostic St Lukes Med Ctr-WI MILWAUKEE WI
Radiology-Diagnostic U Wisconsin Hosp/Clinics MADISON WI
Radiology-Diagnostic Drexel(MCP Hahnemann) U COM-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Radiology-Diagnostic Eastern VA Med School-VA NORFOLK VA
Radiology-Diagnostic Georgetown Univ Hosp-DC WASHINGTON DC
Radiology-Diagnostic Hartford Hospital-CT HARTFORD CT
Radiology-Diagnostic Mayo Graduate SOM-FL JACKSONVILLE FL
Radiology-Diagnostic Newark Beth Israel-NJ NEWARK DE
Radiology-Diagnostic Rhode Island Hosp/Brown U PROVIDENCE RI
Radiology-Diagnostic Temple Univ Hosp-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Radiology-Diagnostic U Texas HSC-San Antonio SAN ANTONIO TX
Radiology-Diagnostic UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA SAN DIEGO CA
Radiology-Diagnostic UMDNJ-R W Johnson-Camden CAMDEN NJ
Surgery- Preliminary Temple University Medical School Philadelphia PA
Surgery-Preliminary SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY BROOKLYN NY
Surgery-Preliminary Temple Univ Hosp-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Surgery-Preliminary Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD BALTIMORE MD
Surgery-Preliminary Temple University Medical School PHILADELPHIA PA
Surgery-Preliminary Univ North Carolina Hosp CHAPEL HILL NC
Trans/Anes Santa Clara Stanford Univ Progs-CA STANFORD CA
Transitional Frankford Hospitals-PA PHILADELPHIA PA
Transitional Western Pennsylvania Hosp PITTSBURGH PA
Transitional York Hospital-PA YORK PA
Transitional Mercy Hosp-Pittsburgh-PA PITTSBURGH PA
Transitional Flushing Hospital Med Ctr-NY FLUSHING NY
Transitional U Tennessee COM-Chatta Chattanooga TN
Transitional U Penn Health Sys/Presby Philadelphia PA
Transitional Griffin Hospital-CT DERBY CT
Transitional Hosp of St Raphael-CT NEW HAVEN CT
Transitional Crozer-Chester Med-PA UPLAND PA
Transitional St Lukes-Bethlehem-PA BETHLEHEM PA
Transitional Metrowest-Framingham-MA FRAMINGHAM MA
Transitional Lehigh Valley Hosp-PA ALLENTOWN PA
Transitional Wilson Mem Reg/UHS-NY JOHNSON CITY NY
Transitional UPMC Medical Education Program-PA PITTSBURGH PA
Transitional Year Oakwood Hospital-MI Dearborn MI
Transitional Year San Diego Naval Medical Center San Diego CA

The reason I'm looking for a guaranteed program is because of what the russian said, its better to take the guarantee than to play the risky admissions game. It all depends on which program is better for my purposes. I basically just want to become a great clinical doctor and have the opportunity to get into a top notch residency program, along with other considerations such as undergrad experience, the atmosphere of the college, etc... That being said, I was recently accepted to Penn State and Jefferson's program, which is supposed to be outstanding. Any opinions or help with Jefferson? It actually was one of my top choices.

If I were you, I would just go for the BA/MD program at Drexel. That is if you're sure medicine is what you want to do.

I personally would go for the sure bet than take a risk, possibly not getting in at all for whatever reason (possibly for reasons you can't control - i.e. undergrad prehealth office sucks). I don't think there is any "bad medical school."

Also keep in mind the ease of mind you'll be at. Personally for me, second semester till I got an acceptance letter was a hell for me. It was nerve-wrecking to play the waiting game with the possibility that you might not get in anywhere!!!

Originally posted by Highschoolkid
That being said, I was recently accepted to Penn State and Jefferson's program, which is supposed to be outstanding. Any opinions or help with Jefferson? It actually was one of my top choices.

What is the Penn State and Jefferson program? Is it a linkage program where you do undergrad at Penn and MD at Jefferson? If it is, then it's probably a better program then Drexel especially since being at the same school for 8 years might be a bit much

The Penn State Premedical-Medical program with cooperation of Jefferson Medical College is one of the most competitive and prestigious BS/MD programs in the country. There are a lot of perks that come with the program. PSU is a great place to spend two years, there is a great incentive to take 400 level and honors level classes, encouragement to take humanities/social sciences/arts, the students enrolled form a very tight-knit group of students, AP credit is liberally offered to entrants, almost all students enter PSU with junior year standing, and the fact that its a six year program put it atop my list of places to go next year. The requirements are a 3.5 GPA (and our GPA gets a boost of a point for 400 level classes) and 9 on each subsection of the MCAT as opposed to Drexel's 3.45 GPA and 30 MCAT. I'm sure that PSU/Jeff would serve almost all of my interests in the pursuit of my goal. I'm pretty much definitely going to enroll there, just waiting for "Prog Weekend" where I can get all my questions answered, spend a few days with current students, and get the PSU experience (classes, dining, night life, etc...).

The Penn State Premedical-Medical program with cooperation of Jefferson Medical College is one of the most competitive and prestigious BS/MD programs in the country. There are a lot of perks that come with the program. PSU is a great place to spend two years, there is a great incentive to take 400 level and honors level classes, encouragement to take humanities/social sciences/arts, the students enrolled form a very tight-knit group of students, AP credit is liberally offered to entrants, almost all students enter PSU with junior year standing, and the fact that its a six year program put it atop my list of places to go next year. The requirements are a 3.5 GPA (and our GPA gets a boost of a point for 400 level classes) and 9 on each subsection of the MCAT as opposed to Drexel's 3.45 GPA and 30 MCAT. I'm sure that PSU/Jeff would serve almost all of my interests in the pursuit of my goal. I'm pretty much definitely going to enroll there, just waiting for "Prog Weekend" where I can get all my questions answered, spend a few days with current students, meet academic advisors, meet the program coordinator, and get the PSU experience (classes, dining, night life, etc...).

Originally posted by Highschoolkid
the fact that its a six year program put it atop my list of places to go next year.

This sounds like a very good program. The only part I disagree with is that it's atop your list because it's a six year program. If anything that should put the program at the bottom of the list.
Undergrad is such an amazing experience. It's been the best 4 years of my life and there never will be anything like it again. To cut that by two years seems a travesty. You need to be able to enjoy yourself in college because once you graduate then everything changes and you might regret leaving your friends behind and perhaps you might not be mature enough to enter medical school. 8 year programs are fine if you really are posititive you want to do medicine but 6 year programs rob you of valuable life experiences. Think hard before committing to such a program.

Well, its atop my list because everything stated other than the fact that its a six year program. However, I have heard nothing but good things about it, so being a six year program does not bother me as much as it might otherwise. Thanks for all your help, unless I have sudden change of mind, I'll probably accept the PSU offer after I check it out on "Prog weekend."