Drexel MSP/IMS 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you don't mind sharing, how did you do this year?

I had a 3.82 overall: B+ in biochem, A- in immunology, and A's in all the rest.

Members don't see this ad.

Whats up, everyone?!

Congrats to everyone accepted. I'll be attending the Sacramento IMS program. Can't wait to see everyone there!

I had a 3.82 overall: B+ in biochem, A- in immunology, and A's in all the rest.

Nice! What a rockstar! Did you achieve that awesomeness by focusing 100% on the program, or did you do other EC's like volunteering or working part-time, or etc? I ask bc I'm wondering if there is time to do other EC's and do well in this program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats up, everyone?!

Congrats to everyone accepted. I'll be attending the Sacramento IMS program. Can't wait to see everyone there!

Congrats to you, too!! See you there. What are you or any other people doing about housing? I'm interested in a roommate. Also, I'm female.

Congrats to you, too!! See you there. What are you or any other people doing about housing? I'm interested in a roommate. Also, I'm female.

I am wondering the same thing, except I'm male. Around what parts of Sac are ppl looking at to live? Anyone else interested in rooming up?

Hey everyone, I applied to the MSP program. I had a phone interview last week. Has anyone heard back an acceptance/denial recently. How did they contact you to inform you? Anxiously waiting a reply from them :xf:

Nice! What a rockstar! Did you achieve that awesomeness by focusing 100% on the program, or did you do other EC's like volunteering or working part-time, or etc? I ask bc I'm wondering if there is time to do other EC's and do well in this program.

Heh, thanks. I'd say I worked at maybe 75% of capacity, and there were certainly people who put in more effort and got the A's to show for it.

Though the course load is definitely worse than undergrad, it's not terrible. If you pre-read all of the lecture notes, go to class (or watch at home), and spend maybe an hour a day reviewing things, it should be more than enough to keep up. I spent my train rides (~40min each way) doing that, so I didn’t really have to bother with any school work at home most days. The most important thing is just making sure that EVERY bit of the module guide/syllabus gets read at least 2-3 times before the real studying starts, so that the concepts can start to gel. As for the “real” studying (the practice questions, back-exams, last-minute memorization, etc.), I would start working pretty hard about 1 day before quizzes, and 2-3 days before exams -- I've heard that you should study for quizzes like they are exams, and study for exams like they're finals, which seemed pretty accurate to me relative to undergrad.

Aside from academics, you really need to keep up with ECs during the IMS year, a point which Dr. Soslau will mention during orientation. Since the med students have at least 30% more coursework -- with a lot less time during the day to do it because of clinical/ancillary stuff -- volunteering is a good way to show that you have time management skills. I'm not sure I would have a job, just because it wouldn't do anything to help your med school applications and probably wouldn't do much to put a dent in your loans either. There's a volunteer fair early in the year, and they'll occasionally send out e-mails about things too. Try to find something that you'll be doing on a regular basis, since I'm not sure Adcoms are particularly impressed with one-off stuff like the pediatric AIDS benefit concert, or park cleanup with Drexel Loves Philly. I volunteered a few different places (averaging about 10 hours/week) and never felt like it was impacting my ability to do well in the program.

Heh, thanks. I'd say I worked at maybe 75% of capacity, and there were certainly people who put in more effort and got the A's to show for it.

Though the course load is definitely worse than undergrad, it's not terrible. If you pre-read all of the lecture notes, go to class (or watch at home), and spend maybe an hour a day reviewing things, it should be more than enough to keep up. I spent my train rides (~40min each way) doing that, so I didn’t really have to bother with any school work at home most days. The most important thing is just making sure that EVERY bit of the module guide/syllabus gets read at least 2-3 times before the real studying starts, so that the concepts can start to gel. As for the “real” studying (the practice questions, back-exams, last-minute memorization, etc.), I would start working pretty hard about 1 day before quizzes, and 2-3 days before exams -- I've heard that you should study for quizzes like they are exams, and study for exams like they're finals, which seemed pretty accurate to me relative to undergrad.

Aside from academics, you really need to keep up with ECs during the IMS year, a point which Dr. Soslau will mention during orientation. Since the med students have at least 30% more coursework -- with a lot less time during the day to do it because of clinical/ancillary stuff -- volunteering is a good way to show that you have time management skills. I'm not sure I would have a job, just because it wouldn't do anything to help your med school applications and probably wouldn't do much to put a dent in your loans either. There's a volunteer fair early in the year, and they'll occasionally send out e-mails about things too. Try to find something that you'll be doing on a regular basis, since I'm not sure Adcoms are particularly impressed with one-off stuff like the pediatric AIDS benefit concert, or park cleanup with Drexel Loves Philly. I volunteered a few different places (averaging about 10 hours/week) and never felt like it was impacting my ability to do well in the program.

Thanks for your input!! I really appreciate it. :thumbup:

Still haven't heard from Drexel about my MSP app to the Philly campus.

App was considered complete 6/28 or 6/29. Granted this is a holiday weekend but do you think I can expect a call late next week? What if I don't hear from them before the application deadline on Friday, July 8th?

Do I still have a shot?

To Philly folks,

How are you doing with housing? I was up there yesterday to look at few places, but it seems to me it's pretty hard to find an affordable place that's close to center city.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any advice regarding financial aid?
Is financial aid available to cover housing too?

Thanks again!

Anyone have any advice regarding financial aid?
Is financial aid available to cover housing too?

Thanks again!

I called their financial aid office up a couple weeks ago and they told me that the school will certify a cost of attendance that includes housing and living expenses. They also said that for most students the standard financial aid won't cover up to that certified amount and that you would then have to take out an additional government graduate loan or a private one. You can shop around for good interest rates for private institutions, but they are going to be variable and can change later, while government ones are fixed. Hope that helps. Since you mentioned this, has anyone else received any news from the financial aid office??

I called their financial aid office up a couple weeks ago and they told me that the school will certify a cost of attendance that includes housing and living expenses. They also said that for most students the standard financial aid won't cover up to that certified amount and that you would then have to take out an additional government graduate loan or a private one. You can shop around for good interest rates for private institutions, but they are going to be variable and can change later, while government ones are fixed. Hope that helps. Since you mentioned this, has anyone else received any news from the financial aid office??

Thank you for this information. I am wondering if you could clarify something. By "certify" do you also mean "quote?" Such as, Drexel will give you a quote (or certified amount) for the cost of attendance + living expenses, then they offer you direct loans via your FAFSA info. And what ever the direct FAFSA loans don't cover, private loans may be needed to make up the difference.

Just wondering, because I am worried about leaving my current full time employment to pursue this program that I mostly can not afford without loans.

Another question I have is, from a finacial aid standpoint, are these classes considered graduate or undergraduate courses?

Thank you!

Thank you for this information. I am wondering if you could clarify something. By "certify" do you also mean "quote?" Such as, Drexel will give you a quote (or certified amount) for the cost of attendance + living expenses, then they offer you direct loans via your FAFSA info. And what ever the direct FAFSA loans don't cover, private loans may be needed to make up the difference.

Just wondering, because I am worried about leaving my current full time employment to pursue this program that I mostly can not afford without loans.

Another question I have is, from a finacial aid standpoint, are these classes considered graduate or undergraduate courses?

Thank you!

The certified amount is the maximum amount the government or any private financial institution will loan you. So, if after filing the FAFSA and receiving your initial financial aid reward you still come up short, you can then only receive an additional government gradute loan or private loan that equals the difference between the certified amount and your initial reward. For your last question, the IMS program is considered graduate courses. Hope that makes sense, I can't seem to word it any better. Sorry!

The certified amount is the maximum amount the government or any private financial institution will loan you. So, if after filing the FAFSA and receiving your initial financial aid reward you still come up short, you can then only receive an additional government gradute loan or private loan that equals the difference between the certified amount and your initial reward. For your last question, the IMS program is considered graduate courses. Hope that makes sense, I can't seem to word it any better. Sorry!

Thank you for clarifying that!

My plan is: Drexel MSP --> Drexel MBS (Considered the same as IMS) --> Anywhere MD

I hope to fund it with loans all the way.

Possible, right?

Still curious if the MSP is undergraduate or graduate.

Last edited:
Hello all I will be attending IMS in Philly this coming semester and was wondering if anyone needs/want a roommate.

I am currently looking at various places, but I am having a hard time finding an affordable location.

I am a male student who is very flexible, please PM me if you guys are in the same boat.

Thank You

Thank you for clarifying that!

My plan is: Drexel MSP --> Drexel MBS (Considered the same as IMS) --> Anywhere MD

I hope to fund it with loans all the way.

Possible, right?

Still curious if the MSP is undergraduate or graduate.

I think the review courses are undergraduate level, but the others are graduate level. However, I have no idea what this means from a financial aid standpoint.

Looking for a roommate!
Anyone else?

I would say yes, but I am still waiting for a call. Rather than worry, I am hoping the holiday weekend slowed their processing down.

I am a male student and will be attending the IMS program this August in Philadelphia.
I am going to live in the Stiles for the three person apartment.

I will primarily use my room to study, so I am looking for someone who would do the same or who could use the place quietly. (Plus no smoking etc..)

Plus, I am going to ask for the furnishing, so whoever rooms with me will have sofa and table in the shared room. ($45 per month for furnishing..sucks)

So please let me know if there is anyone out there looking for a roommate like me.

P.S.
And to add people for roommates, I need either your name or email user ID.
So PM me with that info, so I could add you.

Alright. let's get ready to get 4.0!!!

Thanks.

Anybody heard from them today? maybe they're delayed cause of the holiday....:scared:

I am a male student and will be attending the IMS program this August in Philadelphia.
I am going to live in the Stiles for the three person apartment.

I will primarily use my room to study, so I am looking for someone who would do the same or who could use the place quietly. (Plus no smoking etc..)

Plus, I am going to ask for the furnishing, so whoever rooms with me will have sofa and table in the shared room. ($45 per month for furnishing..sucks)

So please let me know if there is anyone out there looking for a roommate like me.

P.S.
And to add people for roommates, I need either your name or email user ID.
So PM me with that info, so I could add you.

Alright. let's get ready to get 4.0!!!

Thanks.

Sounds like a good arrangement.

oh ok, maybe if I don't hear anything tomorrow. It'll be next week. It's been two weeks though.

oh ok, maybe if I don't hear anything tomorrow. It'll be next week. It's been two weeks though.

Should we be worried that the deadline approaches and we haven't been contacted? Will there be enough time for financial aid?

I wouldn't worry about the deadline approaching, I heard last year that there were people who found out a couple days before and still started the program with us. And you have the entire month of August to figure out financial aid, especially with you being on campus, they can't ignore you. It'll get done.

Also someone mentioned statistics, they say 85% of people who apply their second year after the program get into a DO/MD school. I do know that if you continue on to their 2nd year master's program, all but a couple people got in that applied.

From my perspective, I have good things to say about the program. I made it through, and will be in DUCOM next year.

I wouldn't worry about the deadline approaching, I heard last year that there were people who found out a couple days before and still started the program with us. And you have the entire month of August to figure out financial aid, especially with you being on campus, they can't ignore you. It'll get done.

Also someone mentioned statistics, they say 85% of people who apply their second year after the program get into a DO/MD school. I do know that if you continue on to their 2nd year master's program, all but a couple people got in that applied.

From my perspective, I have good things to say about the program. I made it through, and will be in DUCOM next year.

Thank you for reassuring me!

Grats to everyone that got in, hope to see you all in the fall if you are heading to Sacramento. Good luck to all the people that are attending the one in Philly too.

SoccerDoccer - I am unsure myself, I was thinking of waiting until we got the letter explaining about the program too? But I think if you wanted them to see your grades/etc for this program, they'd put you on hold anyways... I guess I'll look around and find out for myself too. I'll let you know if I find anything about.

Rawr - Hey, actually about that Facebook thing, I was talking to someone else from the Sacramento program a few weeks ago, she mentioned the same thing. We came to the conclusion that maybe it would be a minor distraction that would keep us from doing our work right ? :D. Well, I saw the other Facebook group things, they seemed pretty inactive anyways. I'd join if you make it, but I'm not very active on that... Too many relatives and family members lurking around there!

Devenir - They send you an email and call you a few hours later if they've accepted you or call you once your application is complete if they want to schedule an interview (I'm not sure how they would go about with declining the application). I would call them to see how far along your application is because I sent my application in March/April, but kept having to call to see if they actually received it/my transcripts/etc. But some parts kept getting lost in the mail.

I eventually got tracking for each of my items (Transcripts/Application) to make sure they got there, and called them once everything was there to make sure. Once everything got there, they called me right away for an interview. And they told me I was accepted maybe a week later.

For people going to Sacramento (And maybe Philly?): here is a useful site if you are looking for apartments: http://www.padmapper.com/ (I think it gets some of the information from Craigslist and other sites) - so you can see exactly where you'll move into.

Also I've lived in Sacramento / Elk Grove most of my life, minus the 5-6 years, so if anyone is going there and has questions, I'll try my best to help. Of course the place has changed a bit. I went back there last year and there was this brand new Walmart where the Florin Mall used to be by my dad's and sister's office. Also if anyone needs any help looking for shadowing experience / etc, I might be able to help. Unfortunately I can't help anyone move right now as my wrist is completely destroyed (And I'm not in Sacramento yet).

padmapper.com is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing!!

I'm open to either. If off campus, I need to be close enough to campus so I can bike. How about you?

I'm looking at a few places within the 2 mile radius so I can bike to campus as well. I found some nice places with private bathroom for ~$600 including util. It looks like I may have to make yet another 2.5hr trip this weekend :(

I'm looking at a few places within the 2 mile radius so I can bike to campus as well. I found some nice places with private bathroom for ~$600 including util. It looks like I may have to make yet another 2.5hr trip this weekend :(

At least you live within 2.5 hrs of the city. I currently live in Cape Coral, Fl 33904 ( http://maps.google.com/maps/place?q=Cape+Coral,+fl&hl=en&ftid=0x88db44a7e78016f5:0xafd1a4163a9b6ff2 ). Coming up to view apts. before moving is next to impossible.

Thank you for reassuring me!

To all MSP'ers:

I'm not the type of person to normally sign up and post things on a blog, but I've been reading everyone's posts and there's been a great deal of information being passed around, so thank you for that. In giving back...

I just called the MSP office and asked about the status of my application. My application was complete on Monday, June 27th and I have not yet been contacted for an interview. The lady on the phone told me (without me asking) the MSP class filled up fast this year, and there's already a waitlist. Although she did not know for sure, she thought the reason why they had not contacted me yet was because Drexel already sent out a lot of acceptances and are waiting to here back if people are actually going to attend Drexel or not. If not, they can then fully offer the waitlisted people a full acceptance, which will then ultimately leave room for people like myself to be interviewed for acceptance onto the waitlist. She stated the waitlisted people are people who interviewed and got accepted, but are accepted pending a spot, so if spots open they will automatically get bumped up. She also stated there isn't a certain date which they hope to complete all their interviews, so it's possible some of us could get interviews at the last minute for a last minute acceptance/spot opening up. On a good note, she did also state "the waitlist does move", meaning alot of the people they offer acceptances to decide NOT to attend Drexel, therefore allowing the waitlisted people to move up. I didn't ask how many people were on the waitlist, but I didn't get the impression there were alot. I really don't know though.... At this point I'm just hoping I get my foot in the door with an interview so I can shoot for a waitlist acceptance and hope people decide to go elsewhere.

To the other applicants waiting for an interview, please let us when/if you get one.

I have a feeling I brought some of you disheartning news, but I was in the same worried boat as you until I called, so I thought I'd at least have the decency to sign up with SDN and post my update so you all have the same knowledge as I do.

I can only imagine traveling all the way from Arizona on a last minute acceptance with only a few days notice! I'll take it if I can get it, but I hope to find out something a lot sooner.

DJ - You bring somber news indeed.

"I have of late, wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth."
Bill Shakespeare's Hamlet

Last edited:
Hey all, figured I'd post up now that I'm an official Drexel student.

I'm in the IMS (Philly) program starting Aug. 1. Is there a facebook page or anything?

I'm still figuring out housing and finaid...anyone know if single units are still available in the grad dorms?

Did they call you today? When did you get accepted?

DJ - You bring somber news indeed.

"I have of late, wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth."
Bill Shakespeare's Hamlet

Chin up, Devenir! The MSP slots might be filled up, but I, too, was once an MSP applicant, and they placed me in the IMS even though I thought I should be in the MSP. Maybe you MSP hopefuls have a chance at the IMS.

i havent started at drexel yet, im going to be starting my ims year this fall. i got into drexel's program last year and based on the very same things some of you have mentioned reading, i chose another program that i thought would get me better results. well, i can tell you that i made a mistake. my program was short-staffed, offered poor advisement and generally made the students feel like crap. we were constantly compared to the medical students and told we weren't good enough. you can pm me if you have specific questions or hesitations about this drexel program. i reapplied and got into the ims program and am starting there. the success rate is much higher and the overall student/alumni feedback is pretty positive. a lot of this was sparked by my meeting with a dean of admissions at a medical school and her telling me that "a program like drexel's is a good one that we take students from all the time." my jaw dropped and i told her i got in there, but didnt go, at which point she told me i made a mistake. at the end of the day, its a true post bacc, where you take med school classes with the med students. thats what you want and need. also, ive heard the simulcast is a plus and i didnt think it last year, but after missing a lecture at my old school because- well, life happens- i was royally screwed and only had friends' notes to go off of. at drexel, i feel like ill be able to go at my own pace. but yea, this is all just coming from a grad student who went somewhere else. obviously, i could post again in 6 months bitching drexel out.

anyway though, i wanted to know what people were going for housing? does anyone come from philadelphia or know average rent in that area? is stiles a good option? id like to live with ladies, no offense guys. anybody looking to get an apt? hit me up. thanks.

Chin up, Devenir! The MSP slots might be filled up, but I, too, was once an MSP applicant, and they placed me in the IMS even though I thought I should be in the MSP. Maybe you MSP hopefuls have a chance at the IMS.

I agree. Let's wait and see.

I agree. Let's wait and see.

Thank you Rawr for your support!

- Trini - Are you still awating an interview like me? Like DJ, my application was complete on 6/27/2011. I am awaiting an interview. Around 6/27, I called and asked about the fullness of the MSP class and I was told there were spots left. The person went on to explain, if the adcom was interested they would call me for an interview. That was more than a week ago, and now the 4th of July holiday has come and gone, and still no call.

I also asked the girl how an applicant is notified if the adcom was not interested in interviewing, and the girl told me someone would call either way (not sure if that was accurate).

I suppose I have not other choice than to continue waiting patiently.
I too, can appreciate the audacity of hope.

Last edited:
i havent started at drexel yet, im going to be starting my ims year this fall. i got into drexel's program last year and based on the very same things some of you have mentioned reading, i chose another program that i thought would get me better results. well, i can tell you that i made a mistake. my program was short-staffed, offered poor advisement and generally made the students feel like crap. we were constantly compared to the medical students and told we weren't good enough. you can pm me if you have specific questions or hesitations about this drexel program. i reapplied and got into the ims program and am starting there. the success rate is much higher and the overall student/alumni feedback is pretty positive. a lot of this was sparked by my meeting with a dean of admissions at a medical school and her telling me that "a program like drexel's is a good one that we take students from all the time." my jaw dropped and i told her i got in there, but didnt go, at which point she told me i made a mistake. at the end of the day, its a true post bacc, where you take med school classes with the med students. thats what you want and need. also, ive heard the simulcast is a plus and i didnt think it last year, but after missing a lecture at my old school because- well, life happens- i was royally screwed and only had friends' notes to go off of. at drexel, i feel like ill be able to go at my own pace. but yea, this is all just coming from a grad student who went somewhere else. obviously, i could post again in 6 months bitching drexel out.

anyway though, i wanted to know what people were going for housing? does anyone come from philadelphia or know average rent in that area? is stiles a good option? id like to live with ladies, no offense guys. anybody looking to get an apt? hit me up. thanks.

Thank you for your insight, Coolcat! :thumbup:

Thank you for your insight, Coolcat! :thumbup:

ditto.

A friend of mine went through the MSP program followed by the MBS. He was accepted at Temple University and has since graudated. He started his MD residency last month.

Thank you Rawr for your support!

- Trini - Are you still awating an interview like me? Like DJ, my application was complete on 6/27/2011. I am awaiting an interview. Around 6/27, I called and asked about the fullness of the MSP class and I was told there were spots left. The person went on to explain, if the adcom was interested they would call me for an interview. That was more than a week ago, and now the 4th of July holiday has come and gone, and still no call.

I also asked the girl how an applicant is notified if the adcom was not interested in interviewing, and the girl told me someone would call either way (not sure if that was accurate).

I suppose I have not other choice than to continue waiting patiently.
I too, can appreciate the audacity of hope.

I interviewed already. They said 1-2 weeks to hear a response....but that's past already and no word. They said to keep checking my email.

I had my phone interview last week and called in on Tuesday to find out if my app was complete. Apparently they still did not update my file with my letter of rec that was sent two weeks ago, and I was a little disappointed. However, I called this afternoon and they said my file is complete and its being reviewed by the committee. The person on the phone said that they will email me next wk. So I feel better that they are still reviewing applications, so there is still hope! :luck:

hi,

ive found a few nice places right near the ims building for about 750 to 900 per person. i have fairly high standards so most of them have great kitchens, tiles/hardwood floors, clean, beautiful bathrooms, etc. i need a roommate though. are there seriously no ladies looking to find a roommate and a place?

also, i was curious to know if anybody heard anything about stiles hall? is it a good option? if nobody gets back to me on roommate stuff, i might need to settle for stiles and i want to know if it's crappy or not. thanks.