Drexel MSP vs. IMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopestobe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is MSP a postbac and IMS a SMP? I have read that MSP students take both undergrad and grad classes, is this true and how many? I am trying to figure out the best ways to boost my ug gpa before taking on a grad gpa, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hopestobe said:
Is MSP a postbac and IMS a SMP? I have read that MSP students take both undergrad and grad classes, is this true and how many? I am trying to figure out the best ways to boost my ug gpa before taking on a grad gpa, thanks

Yes. Yes. 4 grad and all the undergrad premed requirements in an accelerated format to prepare you for the MCAT.

does this do anything for the ug gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
When does the Drexel MSP program begin? If I am accepted, would I be expected to move in Aug? Im planning to take summer classes to boost my ug gpa but a lot of the cal state summer session go until 9/2 which may be a problem. Right now though my priority is boosting my ug gpa (currently my sci gpa is 2.6 and my overall is 3.0, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

hopestobe said:
When does the Drexel MSP program begin? If I am accepted, would I be expected to move in Aug? Im planning to take summer classes to boost my ug gpa but a lot of the cal state summer session go until 9/2 which may be a problem. Right now though my priority is boosting my ug gpa (currently my sci gpa is 2.6 and my overall is 3.0, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Orientation is the first week of August and the classes begin after that. You should probably find housing and get settled before then. Not sure how much you could boost your gpa during that time.

I am a bit confused b/c MSP says that you take both grad and ug classes, yet the ug classes are "review" --does this mean that they are just review as in mcat prep and not actual classes? I am worried about that b/c if so, I will not be able to improve my ug gpa at all if I attend Drexel MSP

hopestobe said:
I am a bit confused b/c MSP says that you take both grad and ug classes, yet the ug classes are "review" --does this mean that they are just review as in mcat prep and not actual classes? I am worried about that b/c if so, I will not be able to improve my ug gpa at all if I attend Drexel MSP

I did the MSP program in 2002 and it was a great "booster". You do take grad and undergrad classes. If it is still the same, you take undergrad Chemistry, Physics, and a biochem course with lab...the graduate classes are Pharmacology and an introduction to anatomy...from what I remember(you don't actually dissect...at least we didn't back in 2002...that might have changed, I don't know). These undergrad courses are actual courses...the MCAT prep is by EXAMKRACKERS...who are absolutely the truth and breakdown how to take the exam, because that is what the MCAT is...it tests how well you take exams basically unlike the USMLE that tests knowledge. Don't get hung up on grad and undergrad classes...they separate your gpa into undergrad and grad...so it is very apparent how you are doing in each sector. I don't know your personal situation, but the grad courses will definitely help in Med school...having that exposure was good as far as understanding basic concepts and it made my first and second year a little less difficult since I had been previously exposed. Hope this helps and regardless of what you choose, do what works best for your situation. Good luck with your decision...

Thanks for sharing your past experience! It is great to get an insider opinion. I also feel that the MSO program would help me to have a good grad gpa that could boost my stats but my premed adviser told me that without improving my ug gpa (sci 2.6, overall 3.0 double humanities and bio major) that any amount of postgrad boosting would not make a significant diff. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!