Drexel University Class Of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are no "official" second look days, but if you email/call Lisa and set something up, you can come by and visit. You can also ask to be set up with a student to talk with. Unfortunately, PIL classes are done and over (no more groups to watch), but IFM is still going strong.

I would try to visit sometime before late May-- second years will be nuts over boards by that point, and IFM-1 will be getting into finals.

Members don't see this ad.

hey! I'll be at Drexel in the fall! :) I chose the IFM curriculum because it sounds like there is more opportunity to be flexible with your schedule...anyone with me on this one?....also..anyone need a roomate ;) I'm also wondering if a car is necessary.......

A car is not necessary, but it makes life a lot more pleasant. I didn't have a car for most of my two years at Drexel. However, all of my friends have them, so I get rides everywhere. I've had a car out here for a month or two at a time, and it's made life significantly better... You definitely must have one during 3rd and 4th years. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ms.Doctor said:
There are no "official" second look days, but if you email/call Lisa and set something up, you can come by and visit. You can also ask to be set up with a student to talk with. Unfortunately, PIL classes are done and over (no more groups to watch), but IFM is still going strong.

I would try to visit sometime before late May-- second years will be nuts over boards by that point, and IFM-1 will be getting into finals.

I was out there about a week ago and did this very thing. They were very laid-back about it. Before I went, I called and said I'd be in the area, and asked if I could come by to look at the school again. They just told me to stop by the admissions office when I got there, and that I could look around all I wanted. My gf and I got to wander around the school, sit in on a class, talk to some students, etc. It was a nice chance to see the school without being under the pressure of an interview day.

have any of you heard of the new dorms for the med school that are being redone? I guess they are right next to hahnemann hospital in center city and you can take the shuttle to school in the morning, only a fifteen minute ride. My dad got a brochure about it recently.

MErc44 said:
have any of you heard of the new dorms for the med school that are being redone? I guess they are right next to hahnemann hospital in center city and you can take the shuttle to school in the morning, only a fifteen minute ride. My dad got a brochure about it recently.

I just got a postcard about it today. It had an exterior shot of the dorms on one side (if you've seen Hahnemann Hospital, it's the big building adjacent to it), and it gave contact info. Here's the website link: http://www.drexel.edu/cchc/studentlife/dept/reslife.html

this might be a good way to meet people outside of school, especially girls (nursing students) :thumbup:

I have to admit, this drexel apartment/dorm thing sounds interesting. I have a few questions that maybe some people know the answer to before I call/email the school to find out.
1. Does anyone live in them now? Maybe to get some insider info.
2. Can you live in them all year round or only during the academic school year?
3. What is the parking situation (i.e. cost and place)?

I like the idea of using it as a vehicle to meet other students and the fact that only 2-3 people share a kitchen, bathroom, and living area isn't bad either. Although there is the risk that you may get matched with someone you are uncompatible with. If the price and convenience is right, this is definitely an interesting option.

F.Path,

The dorms were being renovated so they aren't open yet and no one lives in them yet. Fall 2004 is the debut of the reopening of the dormitories. I believe it fits 315 students....The one bedrooms are just a bedroom and study..a two room apartment. I am guessing that they have community bathrooms and kitchens for folks to use. The website does give the prices however. I know the one bedroom comes out to roughly 950/mo...and the two and three are obviously cheaper. NO pictures however on the site. I'm guess they are nice. There is a Hahnemann hospital employee parking lot right next door. Perhaps they intend on providing spaces available to residents.

I'm glad they have apartment/dorms..even though I'll never use them. I have a son and I have no intention of being paired up with anyone LOL.

I hear Drexel is going to be implementing alot of changes and I am looking forward to them...

BULLHORN

Add one more to that Drexel List!!
I'll be there in Fall 2004 and can't wait to start.
I'm also choosing PIL over IFM because PIL sounds cool and I can always switch out of the program if I don't like it.

Also, Ms. Doctor :thumbup:
your posts are really helpful.
I PM'ed you around Park heights

If anyone is looking for a place in East Falls drop me a line - I will be moving to center city. You will have two roommates - one 3rd year one fourth - both did PIL.

bullhorn said:
I hear Drexel is going to be implementing alot of changes and I am looking forward to them...

Just curious...what changes have you heard about?

snapdad said:
Just curious...what changes have you heard about?

I heard they are talking about building a Biomedical Research Building...so they increase their research at the medical school I was also told that they have been doing some heavy duty recruiting of faculty specifically to do research (since they already have a great faculty there to specifcally teach.)

There was also a recent press release saying they were looking at taking over MCP Hospital themselves.....which would be great since its across the street from the campus.

Congrats to all new accepted students...

Members don't see this ad :)
My other question about Drexel to current students and those planning on attending:

Do a lot of people have cars in Drexel?
I don't know whether I should get a car or not if I plan to liv within walking distance of the campus.

:confused:

mangotango said:
My other question about Drexel to current students and those planning on attending:

Do a lot of people have cars in Drexel?
I don't know whether I should get a car or not if I plan to liv within walking distance of the campus.

:confused:
I'll definitely have my car with me. Although if you live close to school I don't think it's necessary to have a car the first two years, I understand that you pretty much have to have one during rotations.

snapdad said:
I'll definitely have my car with me. Although if you live close to school I don't think it's necessary to have a car the first two years, I understand that you pretty much have to have one during rotations.

I've always found it tough to go without a car when you have your own apartment. Especially if I'm trying to save money by making my own food - it results in a TON of groceries that would be impossible to carry if I was walking even a quarter of a mile... Of course, I am one of those few people left in the world that eats 3 meals a day...
I guess if you knew enough people, though, you could bum rides off of them.

It would be a good idea to get a car. Most students have one and it just makes things convenient. The important thing to realize is that the med school is in a residential area and there aren't really any places to get groceries or food within walking distance that I would recommend. Plus, you need to have a car for 3rd and 4th year anyway. It's basically a requirement. Unless you're strapped for cash at the moment, I would definetely bring up a car. Good luck guys. You're going to have a fun time at drexel... We all get along really and are pretty close despite the large class size. :)

Was anyone else surprised to find out that Orientation starts on August 2nd?!
It just seems so soon, and I can't wait! Whoo Hoo! :) :)

Hi everyone,
I interviewed at Drexel yesterday....and I really love everything about the campus, the people, area...I met a lot of cool people. Staying at a bed and breakfast was a good idea...ended up hanging out with a girl who was also interviewing...I would love to be apart of this year's incoming class..hoping the wait doesn't kill me..lol :)

I would definitely bring a car if you can afford one. I didn't have one for most of my first two years, and it makes life much less pleasant. There aren't many grocery stores/coffee shops/restaurants that are worthwhile within walking distance.

Whats PIL and IFM?

pnp and others...

PIL is Drexel's Program for Integrated Learning. It's an updated form of the PBL (Problem Based Learning) pathways of other medical schools. We use cases and group sessions to direct our learning and combine this with lectures and clinical skills sessions.

IFM is something like the traditional lecture pathway. However, the curriculum is divided up into systems-- i.e. "Missed Period" or "Shortness of Breath".

has anyone registered for an email account through Drexel. I was procrastinating on my lab reports and I think that I might be able to get all of my accounts set up. I'm not sure so I'm not going to do it yet. Anyone else been successful?

MErc44 said:
has anyone registered for an email account through Drexel. I was procrastinating on my lab reports and I think that I might be able to get all of my accounts set up. I'm not sure so I'm not going to do it yet. Anyone else been successful?
Yeah, I did it. Took about five minutes...really easy.

did you try using your email account?

Thanks for the replies to the car topic!
I guess I'll be bringing a car to Drexel.
Feel free to bum rides off of me :laugh:

i got mine to work but I can't log in to the drexel one site. Why the hell am I dealing with this right now?

thanks for offering rides mangotango :) i would probably need some since i don't have a car
cheers to everybody.... :love:

Hi, Mylaina
I would be intrested in your wireless card if you still have it. I'm actually IMS/MBS student at Drexel and I will at Drexel Med next year, really excited. I'm figuring that you are either gonna be third year or will be graduating...so congratulations either way.
I actually would like to ask you couple of questions. First, how do you guys get mentors/advisors to follow you through med school to residency...does the school assign them to you or is it possible to choose one yourself and then ask him/her. Because I was trying to look for some doctors at Hahnemman that teach rotations (I'm intrested in Ob/Gyn, so I want my mentor to be in the same medical disciplline). Or am I to paranoid about it, is it too early to think about this stuff. If you can give me some insights plz let me know ....
Thanks in advance...Ksenia

Mylaina said:
I have one of the wireless cards for our laptops that is in great shape-- I've used it for 2 years, but when I leave this summer, I'm not going to be able to use it anymore. They cost something like 75-100 bucks new... Anyone want one used? :-D

how did you all get a drexel email acct. i don't have one yet.b help

hey everyone...... i'm REALLY happy this thread is available, i've been looking for advice for the last few weeks and i hope you guys can help me out ( i am TOTALLY short on time... i need to make a descision within the next 3 days)....

anyways, here's my situation: i'm a high school senior that did fairly well & i definitely wanna become a doctor..... I got into the Drexel University/Drexel Medical College 7-yr Accelerated Medical Program..... basically, 3 yrs drexel undergrad, and then i go 2 drexel med school for 4 yrs....
--- my only question is.... is Drexel med a good school???? I couldn't find rankings on it and stuff....... i really wanna go 2 a top med school w/ good competition (i do better when i compete against fellow students).... i plan on trying out for a tough residency/specialization... prolly surgery or something....
---anyway, it comes down to... I'm thinking, if i can get into med school as a high school senior, wud i hav a better chance of getting into a better med school in 4 yrs..... (i dont care bout the one year saved and money isn't an issue)....

if i don't go 2 drexel, ill go 2 regular NYU undergrad--- (I was set on going to West Point and being a doctor in the army, however, the army took back my conditional acceptance LAST WEEK because i had a history of asthma! :( )

anyways..... yeh, so, i was wondering how good is Drexel..... i really wanna go 2 a good med school, so i was wondering if taking the traditional route @ NYU wud be a better path for me.....
also, if you guys dont mind.... can you tell me some of ur stats ... like what kinda GPA/MCAT , EC's i wud need 2 get into drexel or a better school.... and how does drexel rate against other med schools..... thanks a lot guys, i hope i haven't offended any1, im reallie a novice in all this medical school stuff, and i jus wanna make shure i dont make any stupid mistakes....

THANKS A LOT.....

bullhorn said:
how did you all get a drexel email acct. i don't have one yet.b help

just go to the web page and click on link for current students, then incoming students, then on prematriculation check list. One of the links on this page is for web accounts. All you have to enter is social and dob. This is the way I did it but I'm sure there are other ways

Ok It didn't work for me. Maybe my acceptance letter was a fake ;) anyway, did anyone else not get an email account.

you tried all those steps???

russian chick said:
Hi, Mylaina
I would be intrested in your wireless card if you still have it. I'm actually IMS/MBS student at Drexel and I will at Drexel Med next year, really excited. I'm figuring that you are either gonna be third year or will be graduating...so congratulations either way.
I actually would like to ask you couple of questions. First, how do you guys get mentors/advisors to follow you through med school to residency...does the school assign them to you or is it possible to choose one yourself and then ask him/her. Because I was trying to look for some doctors at Hahnemman that teach rotations (I'm intrested in Ob/Gyn, so I want my mentor to be in the same medical disciplline). Or am I to paranoid about it, is it too early to think about this stuff. If you can give me some insights plz let me know ....
Thanks in advance...Ksenia

Hi Russian Chick (et al),
No one wanted my wireless card, so it's all yours as of June 1! (I also have another one from a friend if you know anyone else who would want one!)

As for mentoring... We are assigned mentors in the first year. Nothing really specific-- just "doctor and student". Drexel's AMWA (American Medical Women's Assoc.) sets up members with woman physicians based on lifestyle or specialty. This is really a cool way to get to know physicians-- I have dinner with mine once a month or so. This happens 1st year. The other option is to hunt down your own mentors-- which is what I did for Neurology. Basically emailed and wanted to shadow them. I don't think ob is in that short of demand for mentoring, but I'm not sure. Also, the faculty is really great for support. My suggestion is don't look for *a* mentor-- you will gather bunches when you are here first year! Just be involved!
Mylaina

Mylaina:

I'd LOVE to have the other wireless card if you still have it!

Pixye1 (et al)...

Someone else PMed me about the card. But I will keep you in mind. I have a lot of friends that are leaving this year (after 2nd year you don't spend a lot of time at the school) and would probably be happy to sell their's!

I'll let you know!
Mylaina

As an FYI wireless network cards have DROPPED alot in the last 2 years.
You can get a new pcmcia 802.11b wireless network card for between $11 and $30 now.
And new 802.11g cards can be had for $30-$60
Just take a look at www.pricewatch.com

I just checked Best-Buy

They have a 802.11b for $29.99 and an 802.11G for $49.99

Drexel's network is standardized to work with the ORiNOCO Turbo 11Mb Gold Card, which can be ordered online or at many computer stores. (It also may be sold under the names, Avaya, Agere and Lucent).

http://webcampus.med.drexel.edu/time/it_survivalguide.htm#tobuy

I will check with Dr. Smolen about whether or not they are going to use this card still.

Ouch! That is an expensive little bugger isn't it. $60.00 for a new 802.11b card?
Lucent makes good quality products, but still... looks like they want you to buy a BMW when something cheaper will do. Also, if someone goes out and gets this card, they won't be able to take advantage of the faster "G" standard (which is backwards compatable with b) if they run to a starbucks or kinkos.

I know this is what the school is telling you to get, but 802.11 is pretty darn standardized at this point. My suggestion would be to go to a store with a good return policy, get a cheap 802.11G (instead of 'b') and test it on campus.

OK, from the drexel site

http://inside.drexel.edu/dragonfly/techSupport-faqs.asp

Which brand and model of wireless network card should I get?

DragonFly was built using Avaya's Orinoco Gold wireless networking equipment. Drexel strongly recommends that our students, faculty and staff use this card for maximum service quality, security and technical support. We also support Apple's AirPort Card because Avaya makes it for Apple. Other brands of IEEE 802.11b wireless networking cards may work, but Drexel doesn't officially support them. That means that we don't keep copies of their latest drivers on our web site and we won't go to the ends of the earth to solve problems that you have with such cards.

However, we will try to help you with any kind of card. First, write to us at [email protected] or call us at (215) 895-6666. Let us know what kind of card your have, what kind of computer and operating system you're using it with and what the problems are. You may even need to come in with your computer and wireless card, but we will try to help; we just can't promise everyone a successful resolution.

I already have another type of card. What should I do?

Try it out and see if it works. Although wireless networking is new, there is an approved standard. If your card follows the same IEEE 802.11b standard that Avaya uses, yours should work properly.

We'd like to know about your experiences -- both failed and successful -- with using other types of cards on DragonFly. If you're really interested, we'd like you to help us write documentation on your typ of card so that we can help other students and faculty members use DragonFly. Send us mail at [email protected] and put "Non-Lucent card experience" in the subject line.

(the second paragraph of each answer above doesn't show up on the faq. Only via cut/paste did they show up.... weird)
So basically, it has to do with tech support. That's more like it. They'll probably coninue to use that. Even if they switch to "G", they'll probably continue to push the same manufacturer, simple because that's what everybody has.

Although I don't know what the G and things like that are, I know that the cards work great at Starbucks, Borders, and Panera (three popular study sites here).

I feel as though I sort of took over this thread. Sorry. I didn't mean to. Just trying to be helpful. :)

802.11b WLANs offer maximum theoretical bandwidth of 11 Mbps.
802.11a and 802.11g WLANs offer theoretical bandwidth up to 54 Mbps.
(In contrast, typical wired Ethernets run at 100 Mbps.)
(and wired Gigabit Ethernets run at 1000 Mbps!!!)

Basically, if you have a 'g', you can use the Drexel hub at a speed of 11 Mbps ('g' is backwards compatable with 'b') And you can still go to Starbucks and connect to their g and transmit data 5x faster. But if you have a 'b', you are always stuck to the slower 11Mbps. Also, when (and I do mean when) Drexel upgrades to 'g', you'll get that speed boost there too!

Also, as you can see, if speed is what you need/want, it is better to connect to a wired ethernet port (9x faster than the wireless 'b') or soon, a Gigabit port at 100x faster than the 'b'.

edit: I just did a search of wi-fi spots within 10 miles of Drexel. The borders and starbucks there are listed as using 'b'. Thus, you won't get a speed increase if you get a 'g', but I still contend that it is better to get a 'g' if you can... for the future.

edit: I just did a search of wi-fi spots within 10 miles of Drexel. The borders and starbucks there are listed as using 'b'. Thus, you won't get a speed increase if you get a 'g', but I still contend that it is better to get a 'g' if you can... for the future.

agreed

I doubt you will see any difference in normal web use, 11 Megabits / s is pretty damn fast. And I doubt you can get that kind of speed anyway with all the traffic going on at an educational institution. But yes, buy the newer protocol if it isn't too expensive, just get the most affordable card you can and it will serve you fine.

Mr Reddly said:
I feel as though I sort of took over this thread. Sorry. I didn't mean to. Just trying to be helpful. :)

802.11b WLANs offer maximum theoretical bandwidth of 11 Mbps.
802.11a and 802.11g WLANs offer theoretical bandwidth up to 54 Mbps.
(In contrast, typical wired Ethernets run at 100 Mbps.)
(and wired Gigabit Ethernets run at 1000 Mbps!!!)

Basically, if you have a 'g', you can use the Drexel hub at a speed of 11 Mbps ('g' is backwards compatable with 'b') And you can still go to Starbucks and connect to their g and transmit data 5x faster. But if you have a 'b', you are always stuck to the slower 11Mbps. Also, when (and I do mean when) Drexel upgrades to 'g', you'll get that speed boost there too!

Also, as you can see, if speed is what you need/want, it is better to connect to a wired ethernet port (9x faster than the wireless 'b') or soon, a Gigabit port at 100x faster than the 'b'.

does anyone know where you can update your address through the Drexel website? They keep referring to it as Banner Web access or something like that.

nevermind i can actually think for myself :thumbdown:

Hi all! I have a question about the financial aid packet we received......In the financial aid prospectus it says we must complete the "College of Medicine Financial Aid Application" however, I don't think I have one. I have looked through every paper in the packet and can't seem to find it. Did everyone else already receive theirs or is this something that gets sent later on? Also, does anyone know if Medloans is our only option for an alternative loan or is this just the program they prefer us to use?

Thanks

The college of medicine fin aid application is what you fill out at your pre-interview this summer. Just have your FAFSA done and printed out when you go to that.

As for options other than MedLoans-- I am not 100% sure, but I think most students use them because they are convinent (no research necessary). I just didn't have the knowledge or time to research bank loans. Try and call and ask the Fin Aid office.